Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread: 2024

56,656 Views | 378 Replies | Last: 3 min ago by Txgunrnnr
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a Texas (a.k.a Western) Rat snake. Also commonly called chickensnake in some areas of Texas.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
VegasAg98
AG
What is the snake the eats rattlesnakes?

Growing up in deep southeast Texas and now mainly hunting in Mason county, the wildlife is still new to me.

Stive
AG
VegasAg98 said:

What is the snake the eats rattlesnakes?

Growing up in deep southeast Texas and now mainly hunting in Mason county, the wildlife is still new to me.

Talking about an indigo?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Several species of snakes will eat Rattlesnakes but the most common one I think people would associate with eating them would be an Indigo as mentioned above.
FrioAg 00
AG
Indigo are always my favorite snake, and it's really not close. They are so cool.
Badace52
AG
Kingsnakes and as mentioned indigoes are the snakes most associated with eating rattlesnakes. Coachwhips will take them down without hesitation as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
metrag06
AG
This little guy was waiting in the house for me this afternoon. Kids asking what kind of snake it is.

12th Man Ag
AG
I'll go rough earth snake.
bodaciousbood14
AG
Baby DBWS?
txags92
AG
Thinking eastern yellow bellied racer.
Aries
Found a pretty rat snake in our garage Friday night. Not very big, skinny & long. A little bird had laid 4 eggs in an empty pot on my garage shelves & he was looking for dinner. He finished the job..... I was kinda glad.....
Badace52
AG
12th Man Ag said:

The lighting is weird and making the color look off, but you are correct.
txags92
AG
Badace52 said:

12th Man Ag said:

Ok, my sense of scale on the size was all off on that one. I was thinking it was 18-24 inches long.
HtownAg92
AG
txags92 said:

Badace52 said:

12th Man Ag said:

Ok, my sense of scale on the size was all off on that one. I was thinking it was 18-24 inches long.
That's what she said?
txags92
AG
HtownAg92 said:

txags92 said:

Badace52 said:

12th Man Ag said:

That's what she said?
She only said that because her hands are tiny.
ought1ag
AG
Had a visit from this gentle dude this AM
Mr. Frodo
AG
Great pic! I'm bad at this game but … rat snake?
Ag83
AG
Yeppir, you got it.
Mr. Frodo
AG
Look at me! My other thought was timber rattler but I saw no rattle and round eyes. The pattern and color is similar though right?

Ok… well, not exactly. TR looks like it has jagged bands.
BabaAg
AG
Check again
BreNayPop
AG
I see rattles…. What am I missing?
Mr. Frodo
AG
I posted a TR picture in my reply to the rat snake … just to show the difference. Last pic has a rattle and is a timber rattler.
DoitBest
S
you may not be so bad at this game after all....
TresPuertas
AG
odd question here. i live next to a pond that i love to fish but the turtle population is completely out of control. its an infestation. as a result, my bass population has dwindled. it also appears that there aren't any predators in there like water snakes. Are there any animals you can relocate to handle this like water snakes and the like?
MAS444
AG
https://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/10/Turtle-Control-in-Farm-Ponds.pdf
maroon barchetta
TresPuertas said:

odd question here. i live next to a pond that i love to fish but the turtle population is completely out of control. its an infestation. as a result, my bass population has dwindled. it also appears that there aren't any predators in there like water snakes. Are there any animals you can relocate to handle this like water snakes and the like?

How do you feel about gators?
TresPuertas
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TresPuertas said:

I like them a hell of a lot more than I like turtles. Only problem is that if i introduced them to a pond in Richardson, I'd probably get skewered for it. Gators aren't exactly common up here.
TarponChaser
TresPuertas said:

maroon barchetta said:

TresPuertas said:

I like them a hell of a lot more than I like turtles. Only problem is that if i introduced them to a pond in Richardson, I'd probably get skewered for it. Gators aren't exactly common up here.

You think gators aren't common up there? I recommend you stay away from Ray Hubbard, Lavon, and Lewisville. All three are known for having lots of gators. And big ones too.
Txgunrnnr
AG
TarponChaser said:

TresPuertas said:

maroon barchetta said:

TresPuertas said:

You think gators aren't common up there? I recommend you stay away from Ray Hubbard, Lavon, and Lewisville. All three are known for having lots of gators. And big ones too.
And the Trinity River near Elm Fork ( Irving area )!
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.