Outdoors
Sponsored by

Turkey Season 2024

8,975 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by FirefightAg
Apache
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who is headed out Saturday for opening weekend?
I'm taking my son out to try and get his first gobbler (weather permitting)
I hope the Toms are as fired up as this Jake was last year!
maroonblood90
AG
My son got his first 2 last weekend during youth only! Its on.
Zjones920
I've got to wait another month in my county. Not sure we even have any gobblers on our place, but I aim to find out.
AgDad121619
AG
On hold until April 11. TPWD putting Kimble county in north zone killed my March Turkey hunts
SharkinAg
AG
I'm heading out next week. More birds on camera than ever this year. Lots of poults on camera too which is not common for us so we are pleased how the population is doing.
AgDad121619
AG
SharkinAg said:

I'm heading out next week. More birds on camera than ever this year. Lots of poults on camera too which is not common for us so we are pleased how the population is doing.
where do you hunt? Last year was the first year in awhile in Junction that we didn't see a bunch of Jake's so I'm expecting less 2+ year olds this year. Hope I'm wrong
AggieJames09
AG
I'll be hunting Wilson County Saturday
SharkinAg
AG
AgDad121619 said:

SharkinAg said:

where do you hunt? Last year was the first year in awhile in Junction that we didn't see a bunch of Jake's so I'm expecting less 2+ year olds this year. Hope I'm wrong

Gonzales county. We've always had birds on camera but that doesn't equate to a good season. Most birds we've seen in 5-6 years. Lots of Jake's. A few good Tom's. Next year should be solid but this year looks promising. You never know though.

Edit to add this was one of the worst years for deer. So it's give and take. Glad to have something to pursue after the poor deer season. No deer or does killed for the first time in several years.
AgDad121619
AG
AggieJames09 said:

do you have private land to hunt again that you found through knocking on doors? I was inspired to hear you can still do that if you are willing work hard enough at it
cupofjoe04
AG
First spring back in Texas in 8 years. I was so looking forward to calling in some Rio's after years of chasing Merriam's.

Sadly, our ranch is still recovering from a prolonged drought (Coryell Co.). Haven't seen normal flows in the creek in many years. The deer were so scant this fall that we shot 1 doe (I took a buddy to let his 13 year old son shoot his first deer), and a few pigs. We have some turkey, but nowhere near the populations we had even just a few years ago.

I'll be down at the ranch for the eclipse, and sadly I think I'm going to leave my shotgun at home. I'll probably wake up and take my oldest boy out, we can practice setting up and calling just for fun. But I don't know that we need to be shooting any birds right now. Maybe just bring the 6.5 for pigs.

Very sad spring for me.
AggieJames09
AG
Yes, I'll be hunting a few permission places this season. Picked up a new place last week also.
AggieJames09
AG
3 and 4 beard mounts from last season!

Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Blanco Co. season runs Mar. 30 - May 12, 2024
AgDad121619
AG
Those look amazing - is that your shop or someone doing your birds. How do you prep a turkey for full body mount? Just freeze the whole thing ?
AggieJames09
AG
This is a popular bird taxidermist in Tennessee. I froze the birds whole, wrapped heads in paper towels. My buddies took them as checked bags through Southwest when they flew home last year and delivered them.
Ragoo
AG
AggieJames09 said:

what part of Wilson? We are north of stockdale and have turkey by the hundreds.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Working on patterning the turkey gun and ammo.
AggieJames09
AG
My main two places are right outside LaVernia. Also might try a couple places just south of Stockdale.
highvelocity
AG
BIL is at our place this weekend scouting and getting some land prep done. last year was my first year really turkey hunting. i wondered why my BIL loved it so much and after last year i am 100000% hooked
FirefightAg
AG
Got this picture today

ought1ag
AG
saw 3 out strutting as i crossed from LaSalle to McMullen County heading to the lake.....good luck to all
OnlyForNow
AG
Damn! Early early.
Apache
AG
I called up 4 jakes last year all at the same time, they got within 20 yards. I didn't shoot one.
Just last week saw 4 gobblers still palling around together. I figure it's probably the same 4 dudes.

This year... at least one will die!!

AgDad121619
AG
Apache said:

I called up 4 jakes last year all at the same time, they got within 20 yards. I didn't shoot one.
Just last week saw 4 gobblers still palling around together. I figure it's probably the same 4 dudes.

This year... at least one will die!!
I missed birds twice at 5 yards. Experimentimg with Federal 3rd degree this year since I have been using Longbeard XR. Dropped a bird at 45-50 and missed at 5. Haunted me all off season.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I missed birds twice at 5 yards.
Dang son! Pattern didn't have a chance to spread out that close. You needed a sawed off shotgun.

Those birds will be tough to call from here on out, surely they are now deaf!!
AgDad121619
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

I missed birds twice at 5 yards.
Dang son! Pattern didn't have a chance to spread out that close. You needed a sawed off shotgun.

Those birds will be tough to call from here on out, surely they are now deaf!!

No doubt
giddings_ag_06
AG
What do you do with a bird you plan to do a full body on? Just whole thing in the freezer until you get it to the taxi?

AgEng98
Pretty much. As stated above, wrap head and legs in wet paper towel. Tuck head under a wing. Some folks will put them in panty hose to keep feathers in place. Never hurts to sandwich fan in some cardboard. Place in a garbage bag and freeze. I have an old fridge in our garage that's frozen multiple birds this way.

A real serious turkey hunter (multiple world slams) taught me how to do it this way. All my mounted birds have come out excellent.
Apache
AG
Quote:

All my mounted birds have come out excellent.
You have multiple full body mount gobblers in your home?!
How many!?!?! And where the heck do you put them all?
AgDad121619
AG
AgEng98 said:

Pretty much. As stated above, wrap head and legs in wet paper towel. Tuck head under a wing. Some folks will put them in panty hose to keep feathers in place. Never hurts to sandwich fan in some cardboard. Place in a garbage bag and freeze. I have an old fridge in our garage that's frozen multiple birds this way.

A real serious turkey hunter (multiple world slams) taught me how to do it this way. All my mounted birds have come out excellent.
bird is gutted first? If so how long and where do you start the opening to minimize the feather damage?
nealan
I believe they said freeze whole bird
FirefightAg
AG
Another good one today. Looks like they are ready

AggieJames09
AG

Zjones920
Haven't seen turkeys on camera.. but I've become a pig farmer instead…
highvelocity
AG
Have gun will travel
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.