Outdoors
Sponsored by

Turkey Season 2024

9,085 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by cahoots
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would look at Dave Smith Decoys or Deception Decoys.
I have two DSD hens, but use an Avian-X Jake. I like the look of the Deception Jake, but it's sold out right now.
AgDad121619
AG
Headed to Junction for our annual hunt. Should be ideal gobbling weather -cool ,clear, and low wind.
AggieJames09
AG
Wilson County has been a real weird season for me. I've only called in jakes every sit. Today I watched a flock of 17 birds in a field acting like it was winter. No strutting, no gobbling, just eating bugs together. I saw a tom a few days ago go to roost 1.5 hours before dark. Turkeys gunna Turkey
OnlyForNow
AG
Can my 9 year old come shoot a Jake ??

This is all I'm getting…
AgDad121619
AG
We got one bird in 3 days of hard hunting, lots of gobbling on the roost (prob 8-10 different birds scattered up and down the canyon) but very little gobbling when they hit the ground. Yesterday was the only day that I was able to work them - had three different birds within 30 yards or less but always up in thick cedars that I could never pull into an open shooting lane

Had one set of birds that were camped in a deep draw strutting right in the center that were 15 feet deep and couldn't budge them - I had to crawl to edge and they must have busted me on the last move.

My son got an old gobbler that followed a hen into the flat he was hunting - one spur that was 11/4" long and sharp ; the other one broken off
AggieJames09
AG
Started the morning on a permission property and at one point had 9 different jakes in front of me, year of the jakes. I messed with them a while then went to my family farm down the road around 9:15. This bird and two jakes were in my front field about 200 yards from the gate. I crawled with my strutter decoy only and set it up just enough in the open for them to see it.
Hit the box call once and they came in. Been a grind this season, finally found a good one.

AgDad121619
AG
That is a rope!
jel_2002
AG
It was a tough weekend for us hunting Eastern Kansas. Weather was chilly, mid 40s. We walked around some different private properties (farm land) shock calling, and didn't hear a single gobble.

We finally checked a different area where we immediately spotted a ton of turkeys in the afternoon. We came back the next morning before light, set up the decoys, and started calling a bit. They didn't respond at all. A nearby rooster somewhere crowed a few times and the turkeys gobbled back at him from wherever they were roosting. I could hear lots of gobbles from trees in different directions. But they did not respond to any of our various calls, or even the crows that were making noise also. Weird. In years past they have come running to these calls.

Weather? Mistimed the rut? Pressure from other hunters? No idea.
OnlyForNow
AG
Very odd season in Bosque county. Turkeys are around but none seemed interested in what we're offering.
highvelocity
AG
Got my first solo bird Thursday morning. Was walking to hunting location and saw three birds in the field with one strutter. I guess they saw me through the trees bc they hauled ass the opposite direction. I sat and watched, called and waited, no movement or vocals. Decided to change position and head to the tree line where the birds moved off to. I walked in about 100 yards, called, no answer. Walked another 50 yards, called. Immediate and big gobble. I sit in the brush in a hurry, call again, 2 gobble response. This goes on for about 20 minutes. Birds aren't moving and I cannot see them.

I crouch down and move through the trees to the next clearing, birds. Two toms are locked on a hen. I call, they respond, but no movement. I proceed to crawl 150 yards through the tall grass and behind a small roll in the hill where they can't see me. I finally get to about 30 yards, stand up quickly and hammer all three shots at the Tom that was closest. All three birds scatter and I'm not quite sure what happened. Give it about 30 seconds and I hear some fluttering and a heavy thump. I find feathers and find my bird still alive. I put my knife through the back of his neck and that's all she wrote.

Fun first bird experience

GeorgiAg
AG
I've never had so many turkeys in my life. They just hang out in my yard now.

TxAgPreacher
S
I saw 6 this morning.
OnlyForNow
AG
Can I come shoot one?
AGdent07
AG
Got back up to Arkansas last weekend with another Ag. Weather was rough with lots of rain. Birds spent most of their time in open fields and didn't present many opportunities. Saw lots of birds but they didn't respond to much calling. Hunted all day Saturday and watched a group of four toms for about four hours as they worked across a field towards us. Lost them at the end and thought they were heading up to roost. Got lucky though and they were in the draw right below us and we got them to work back into range for a double.

AgDad121619
AG
Good mature birds with the spurs in those pics
Apache
AG
Bummer of a season, was only able to hunt opening weekend & last weekend.
Winds Saturday were howling 25 MPH with gusts to 40. Bad conditions.
Sunday morning was a rainout. Worse conditions.

Well at least opening weekend was fun. Kids spring sports sure make a mess of hunting.
AgDad121619
AG
Headed to SD week of May 10 with my son to try to get our first Merriams. Hunting Standing Rock reservation which straddles SD/ ND border on recommendation of friend that hunted there - will update as hint unfolds for anyone interested in getting their Merriams for a slam
AGdent07
AG
That's the next bird on my list. We've talked about New Mexico and Colorado for next year. Really curious about South Dakota. We have been successful in the past with public land and would like to do try public land as well.
BradMtn346
I started my season with a donated hunt to Pheasants Forever. They were the only upland bird organization that invited me to the banquet. I was a member of the turkey Federation, but they never sent me an invite.

Ally hunted 2 days before she connected with this tom.

She packed him out of the valley all by herself.

Justice was next at bat. Another hunt giveaway. She passed several jakes, hoping for a tom, but ended up killing a cedar tree right above the turkeys head.

It was a pleasure taking her and her dad out. Her grandpa has turkeys on his place, so I was assured she'd have another opportunity.

We had the Huntndivas out last weekend. They are a nonprofit that gets ladies into the outdoors. They put the smackdown on some turkeys.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've got a nonprofit called huntndudes - can I come turkey hunt with you?

JK. You bringing out the scouts again? I think that was the group of kids you had a few years back when I was there.
BradMtn346
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I've got a nonprofit called huntndudes - can I come turkey hunt with you?

JK. You bringing out the scouts again? I think that was the group of kids you had a few years back when I was there.

They were kid and nephews of a producer of an outdoor show. Outback Outdoors. Used to be on the Sporsman's Channel, now Amazon or YouTube. They got their regular hunt canceled because of Covid. The lady that runs Hunt-n-Divas knew I was a sucker for kids, and she connected us.
FirefightAg
AG
Got on one today. It's been rough seems like they were early this year caught this one moving in an open field.

htownag2007
AG
Does anyone have recs for the greater Houston area? I shot a pretty nice one that I want to mount. The ones I've asked around BCS don't do turkeys.
cahoots
I guided my buddy to his first birds ever. We hunted for 2 days at our place in Schleicher County last weekend. Despite storms messing up our Friday evening hunt, we persevered and stayed optimistic, putting in an average of 8 miles hiking a day.

The best part of the weekend was being flexible in our strategy, which paid off in a big way. Saturday afternoon we decided to set up in a known strut zone with a Jake decoy and periodic calling. That ultimately produced a shot at a jake for my buddy 180 degrees behind his position nestled up to a large live oak. He swung around the tree and made a good shot and follow-up kill shot on the bird.

Sunday AM we had only until 8 AM to hunt because of travel. We went to a ridge and listened in draws on both sides ready to approach birds gobbling on the roost. We eventually heard one about 700 yards down a draw and we're very aggressive, resulting in a quick, very rewarding hunt. As we approached the bottom of the draw, we bumped 15 hens and jakes that was initially a very sinking feeling. Fortunately, the gobbler roosted 200 yards away and responded immediately to yelping despite the fly down and hens' putts. We had a split second to stay on one side of a dry creek or crawl under an internal fence and set up on the other side. I decided quickly to get us under the fence and I set up my buddy in a juniper at the edge of a strut zone, which proved to be the right choice. After a few series of soft yelps and clucks, the tom gave my buddy the whole show strutting and drumming up to 30 yards, where my buddy rolled him. By 6:59, the old 3+ yr old was on the ground and gave us time to reflect on such a successful hunt after being so aggressive pressing the gobbler's engagement zone. I'm still on cloud 9 and so happy for my buddy and I know he's hooked for life now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.