Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Getting more serious about cycling

36,642 Views | 369 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Ol Jock 99
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
W/kg is a solid metric. Anything north of 4 gets impressive. (FT column below is FTP / kg)

Ragoo
AG
Anyone want to do the rattlesnake gravel grind in swee****er? Tyler Pearce "Vegan Cyclist" will be there.
RangerRick9211
AG
Not I! But I have Gravel Grind coming up here in OR. So excited.

It never gets old! If you ever have a chance, Bend is just great for gravel:
Ragoo
AG
Do you run into Heather Jackson, Paula Findlay, or Eric Lagerstrom?
RangerRick9211
AG
You got all the YouTubers on lock!
Ragoo
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

You got all the YouTubers on lock!
yeah man. I enjoy following triathletes. Heather a former triathlete.

I actually enjoy watching VC and Jeremiah Bishop's "Impossible Route" videos.
RangerRick9211
AG
I fire up a VC on the trainer every now and then. But I need micro-doses of the Cali-Bruh persona.
mtngoat3006
Is anyone riding in the Texas MS150 this year? The former Aggie Cycling Team Powered by the Houston Physicians Hospital is now the Space City Aggies Cycling Team this year. If you've never ridden in the MS150, you should consider riding this year. It's always a rolling PARTY and a great time. I'll be riding with the Space City Aggies and starting from Austin and on to Lagrange on Saturday. Then from Lagrange to Kyle Field on Sunday. It's an awesome experience riding into Kyle Field to the Finish Line. Beat the HELL outta MS!!!
hbc07
AG
Have been getting in 7-9 hours a week on the trainer. Hoping the work is paying off. I'm planning on heading down to Fredericksburg (or somewhere similar) at the end of the month for a mini-camp of sorts to break up the monotony of structured training and actually get out on the road and get some miles in. I'm planning on grabbing some routes from ridewithgps, but any recommendations?

I'm also trying to get my race schedule sorted out for the year. Probably going to avoid crits just to try and limit my exposure to chaos before my Europe trip in August. Currently looking like I'll do the NW Arkansas Spring Classic, Jesuit Ranger Round Up, maybe the Crockett Classic, and Tour de Louisiane (if it happens). Might do a handful of fondos just to get some longer organized rides in as well.
FlowCtlr
AG
I'm doing this ride in UAE in a couple of weeks.
Ragoo
AG
Tyler Pearce "Vegan Cyclist" is doing a free ride in Swee****er in March.

Also, if you ever want to ride around New Braunfels. I don't live there but my folks do. I like to ride from Landa Park out to Canyon Lake up and down river road. Scenic, climbs, rolling hills. 1 round trip is 30 miles, can easily extend if you ride up to the canyon lake dam park and get a lot more climbing in.
AgLiving06
Ok.

What are yall's preferred method for chain? Wax or lube?

My chain is overdue and I need to get something on order.

And yes..I spent several minutes trying to figure out how to not make this sound sexual haha.

And for a giggle:

RangerRick9211
AG
I have the Cyclowax kit and I'll never go back.

But I like tinkering with my bike. So pulling the chain and hot dipping is ASMR with a beer in hand. It's so clean. So quiet. I have two chains per bike, so always ready to roll when the other comes off.
Ragoo
AG
Thinking about switching from ZWIFT to FULGAZ anyone with experience?
TurboVelo
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Ok.

What are yall's preferred method for chain? Wax or lube?

My chain is overdue and I need to get something on order.

And yes..I spent several minutes trying to figure out how to not make this sound sexual haha.

My team has spent a lot of time on this, trying to maximize efficiency and see what gave us an actual advantage. After thorough testing, we've gone back to Squirt, even on our Track and Time Trial Chains (which get far less usage than road chains).

We went through all the protocols from several different wax companies, including testing the graphite powder post-applications. Our conclusion is that the testing hypothesis of using chain wear as a direct correlation to resistance is flawed, and doesn't truly measure resistance to forward motion.

However, there are a billion other things that make a bigger impact on speed and performance, so if waxing your chain is something you like, go for it.
Ragoo
AG
I am 6' and 160ish lbs. what is the best way to build power? I am stuck right around 200w.
TurboVelo
AG
Ragoo said:

I am 6' and 160ish lbs. what is the best way to build power? I am stuck right around 200w.
My favorite answer is motorpacing or racing because I can push myself harder in those, but those are not always readily available. Riding at FTP is mentally taxing, so finding ways to work on it while being destracted is a good strategy for me. The physical work isn't as hard as the mental. I get bored. I get distracted. I start daydreaming about racing, then get excited and go too hard. Or start thinking about chores my wife has for me at home and rationalize cutting my workout short.

The most simple answer is working just below FTP for as much as possible. From there, the answer gets more complicated and more personal depending on your physiology and mentality.

I find that working in the Sweet Spot zone is the most effective for being able to handle the workload, repeatability, and recovery. Starting at 10 minutes with 2 efforts. Then build to 3 efforts. Then go to 15 minutes x 2 efforts. Then 3 efforts. Doing them on the trainer is the most controlled way to do it, but also can become mentally taxing for me if I never get outside. But I am HORRIBLE at doing long intervals at a steady effort outdoors. Thus, the constant need to find balance. Some riders are really good at it. I hope that's you. The other complication is that some of us have very different FTP's on the trainer than we do the road. I have a decent FTP on a steady incline. It's absolutely horrible on a trainer. But doing them on the trainer makes me stronger. It sucks.

I also like to add a day a week with some 3 minute efforts above FTP to "push through" when working on FTP. Keep in mind those are much more intense, so don't overdo it.

Final note, if you race, do all of your intervals in a racing position. I see way too many racers develop power in an upright position (hands on the tops of the bars), then can't produce the same power in a more aero position.
P.U.T.U
AG
Ragoo said:

The easiest way I found was to ride with people that are stronger than you. Had a friend that was from England and despite having 30-40 pounds on me he would smoke me on sprints and hill climbs every single time. Rode with him a few months and FTP went from 200 to 240.

If you are riding on a trainer most of the time you just have to get used to riding at or above threshold. You need to get used to that burning in your legs just being the start of it and embracing the pain. One of the coaches on the triathlon team I used to be on was one one Lance Armstrong's first coaches and they said that is what made him so good, his ability to put not losing over pain
Leggo My Elko
AG
Anybody registered for L'Etape Texas in San Antonio in mid April? Anybody do it in the past and have any thought?

I signed up in October for the 60 mile as motivation to get back in shape and start riding again after several years off the bike.

Ragoo
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Ragoo said:

The easiest way I found was to ride with people that are stronger than you. Had a friend that was from England and despite having 30-40 pounds on me he would smoke me on sprints and hill climbs every single time. Rode with him a few months and FTP went from 200 to 240.

If you are riding on a trainer most of the time you just have to get used to riding at or above threshold. You need to get used to that burning in your legs just being the start of it and embracing the pain. One of the coaches on the triathlon team I used to be on was one one Lance Armstrong's first coaches and they said that is what made him so good, his ability to put not losing over pain
the second paragraph is where I am. I've been doing a lot of "hop on the bike and ride a zwift route". Fine for building really good base but not so good for increasing capacity. I am stating to do more programmed sessions forcing myself to threshold.
txags92
AG
mtngoat3006 said:

Is anyone riding in the Texas MS150 this year? The former Aggie Cycling Team Powered by the Houston Physicians Hospital is now the Space City Aggies Cycling Team this year. If you've never ridden in the MS150, you should consider riding this year. It's always a rolling PARTY and a great time. I'll be riding with the Space City Aggies and starting from Austin and on to Lagrange on Saturday. Then from Lagrange to Kyle Field on Sunday. It's an awesome experience riding into Kyle Field to the Finish Line. Beat the HELL outta MS!!!
I will be riding this year and starting from Austin also. My wife and I rode with the Aggie club for several years and have been riding with Schlumberger for the last few years (now SLB cycling club). We recently moved from Houston to Bastrop, so joining a team doesn't make as much sense to us as it used to financially. We will be starting in Austin, spending the night at our house in Bastrop instead of in a team tent in LaGrange and won't get the benefit of any team training rides based out of Houston.

I have been riding the Peloton 3x a week all winter doing Power Zone Pack challenges. I just started riding around the neighborhood here a couple of weeks ago and have figured out a 12 mile loop I can ride without ever leaving the subdivision or getting on roads with a speed limit over 35 mph. Did 25 miles on Sunday and will be doing 30 this weekend.

On a personal note, thank you for riding and raising funds. I was diagnosed with MS in 2006 and I am one of the lucky ones that has had no additional episodes since my original hearing loss that led to me getting diagnosed. I have had additional lesions show up in my brain over time, but they have not led to any further disability. I have many friends that have directly benefited from treatments that were made possible by the research funded by the MS Societyfrom MS150 funds. Thanks to all who ride, and if you see me out there in an "I Ride With MS Jersey", hop on my wheel and I will gladly pull you as far as I can.
txags92
AG
Ragoo said:

3x9 over unders are your friend. Warm up for 20-30 minutes, then ride 9 minute intervals alternating 2 mins at 95% of FTP and 1 minute at 110% of FTP. Take six minutes of recovery between each 9 minute interval and do three 9 minute intervals. You can build it into a longer LSD (long slow distance) ride if you want. Also, instead of hammering all the time, do at least a couple of rides per week at around 80-85% of FTP for long durations. Long Zone 2 and Zone 3 sub-FTP efforts will help build a stronger base to do harder workouts on top of. As others said, go ride with a group that is faster than you from time to time. Don't do it every ride, but occasionally challenging yourself that way can pay big dividends.
hbc07
AG
Took the Wahoo Full Frontal 4DP ftp test (warm up -> 2x 5s -> recovery -> 5m -> recovery -> 20m -> recovery -> 1m) today to cap off my 12 week back on the bike training plan. I'm more or less back to where I was near in time to the accident in June. It's hard not to be happy about that, but it still sucks being set back ~9 months. Biggest letdown was the 20m levels, but that always comes in low on this test compared to others. I did have a bit of a mental hurdle halfway through that had me ease off for 30s to regroup before I could get back at it.

5s: 993w 13.86w/kg (prior best 12.36w/kg doing standing starts last month)
1m: 416w 5.80w/kg (6.26w/kg on a random group ride may 23)
5m: 285w 3.98w/kg (prior best 3.87w/kg during a crit in april 23)
20m: 220w 3.07w.kg (3.33w/kg during that same crit in april 23)

Now a rest day tomorrow, and then off to my solo "minicamp" in Fredericksburg for the week to just get some miles out on the road away from the flatlands of DFW and get off the trainer
Ragoo
AG
I find bike mechanic stuff a little overwhelming.

I was riding my bike on the rollers the other day. Spent some time more upright to get some weight over the back wheel and push a little more power. I guess my tire got too hot and it went flat. Won't hold air anymore. I think the tire is tubeless. I don't even know where to begin repairing. I am considering taking the wheel to the trek shop although I dislike that place with a mighty passion.
txags92
AG
Ragoo said:

I find bike mechanic stuff a little overwhelming.

I was riding my bike on the rollers the other day. Spent some time more upright to get some weight over the back wheel and push a little more power. I guess my tire got too hot and it went flat. Won't hold air anymore. I think the tire is tubeless. I don't even know where to begin repairing. I am considering taking the wheel to the trek shop although I dislike that place with a mighty passion.

If it is tubeless you should probably be topping off the air about once a week and adding more sealant at least once a year and maybe more frequently depending on which sealant you use and how much time you spend outdoors. Youtube videos are your friend. Just watch a few videos of how to do it before you buy what you need and try it.
hbc07
AG
Day 1 in Fredericksburg: Checked in to my airbnb, got everything situated, and set out for a 45mile easy going ride. 2 miles from the end, my non-drive side crank just fell off. In hindsight, there were two warning signs. around mile 25 it suddenly seemed like my derailleur was slightly out of alignment (i think this is around when I lost the preload cap), and then around mile 40 my left pedal started to feel sloppy and i just assumed it was something weird with the cleat.

No bike shops in Fredericksburg are open tomorrow. About to do some looking, but it seems like I might have to head to San Antonio tomorrow to (1) get a new preload cap and (2) make sure there's no damage to the components I still have. This trip is off to a great start.
txags92
AG
hbc07 said:

Day 1 in Fredericksburg: Checked in to my airbnb, got everything situated, and set out for a 45mile easy going ride. 2 miles from the end, my non-drive side crank just fell off. In hindsight, there were two warning signs. around mile 25 it suddenly seemed like my derailleur was slightly out of alignment (i think this is around when I lost the preload cap), and then around mile 40 my left pedal started to feel sloppy and i just assumed it was something weird with the cleat.

No bike shops in Fredericksburg are open tomorrow. About to do some looking, but it seems like I might have to head to San Antonio tomorrow to (1) get a new preload cap and (2) make sure there's no damage to the components I still have. This trip is off to a great start.
Did it fall apart or delaminate and break? Shimano has a recall out for a large number of Ultegra cranks for that issue.
hbc07
AG
I believe it just fell apart, doesn't look like any sign of delamination to me. Either way, I'll have the shop check it for warranty coverage when I go in tomorrow.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Sorry to hear all that, at least it didn't happen in such a way it caused a crash and injury. Good luck getting it fixed.
FIDO95
AG
hbc07 said:

Probably getting to you too late but Britton's bike shop is on the North side of town...Close to where you would come in if you go South on Hwy 281 from Fredricksburg:

Britton's Bicycle Shop (brittonbikes.com)

I have always been pleased with their work. Good luck.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FIDO95
AG
Leggo My Elko said:

Anybody registered for L'Etape Texas in San Antonio in mid April? Anybody do it in the past and have any thought?

I signed up in October for the 60 mile as motivation to get back in shape and start riding again after several years off the bike.

I've never done it. I did the WIldflower ride which preceded this one but it was a completely different route. I'm thinking of signing up for it but I tend to do more running then riding in the Winter. Doing the SA 1/2 marathon this Sunday and then I'll be back to riding. I'll have to see how quickly I get my "riding legs" back. Good luck with it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
Le Etape always seemed outrageously expensive for what you get relative to any of a dozen or more other charity rides.
hbc07
AG
FIDO95 said:

hbc07 said:

Probably getting to you too late but Britton's bike shop is on the North side of town...Close to where you would come in if you go South on Hwy 281 from Fredricksburg:

Britton's Bicycle Shop (brittonbikes.com)

I have always been pleased with their work. Good luck.
Just a little too late. I ended up going to Trek Alamo Heights. They had to do some work filing the teeth on the crank arm to get it back on, unsurprisingly I apparently did some damage to the teeth when I ripped the crank off. All-in for labor and the replacement preload cap = $20.

But I did make up for that good deal by getting a flat on the way there and having to replace one of my tires (car, not bike).

Got back in time to knock out 50 miles with 3k in elevation. After so much riding in DFW, I forgot how much hills add on to the overall time of the ride.

Planning on doing ~30ish miles tomorrow morning so I can get some work done in the afternoon and get some recovery time in, and the hopefully 80 or so on Wednesday.
Ragoo
AG
Despite the troubles sounds like a great time on the bike.
Leggo My Elko
AG
txags92 said:

Le Etape always seemed outrageously expensive for what you get relative to any of a dozen or more other charity rides.
It is a bit pricey, interestingly I registered back in Oct or Nov thinking I was getting the early bird pricing, as it was already pricey at that point in time. Then sometime in late December I got an email saying I was re-registered and "Le Etape San Antonio" is now "Le Etape Texas". I went on the website and found that if I was to register it would be $50 less than what I paid in the Fall. I sent off an email seeing if I could have that that resolved. I got a phone call from the race organizer. It turns out they had taken over the management of the race from the previous organizer that I had registered with. They didn't go into details, but reading through the lines, it wasn't pretty behind the scenes and the whole event almost didn't happen. The new management did not receive ANY of the registration fees collected from around 700 people from the pervious management, that money is gone and they are now tasked with putting on the event and honoring the registration for those 700 riders.
They weren't able to refund me any money, but did upgrade my registration to VIP (whatever that means). I actually feel pretty grateful they are honoring my registration, because the people I paid the money to are gone and had the new management not taken over, the race wouldn't have happened and I'd be out the money regardless.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.