Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

***Weightlifting Thread***

99,047 Views | 1444 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by Sea Speed
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Then I cut out my morning overnight oats and just do a protein shake.
What kind of calories were your oats running? I typically have mine almost daily. Approx. 400 calories and 20g of protein.
Tex117
AG
PascalsWager said:

It confuses me that people overwhelmingly seem to enjoy lifting weights and exercising. Now I can understand getting a sense of accomplishment for going to the gym; feeling good that you did something positive for yourself. I can also understand feeling good looking at yourself in the mirror. But people seem to be suggesting that the physical act of weight training (or running or whatever else) gives them joy or pleasure or a dopamine response.

Is this true for people on this thread?
Yes. At this point, its more for my mental health than physical.

Sure there is the "rush" of a big weight lift. But for me...Im not in the right mental space if I don't get a gym workout 2-3 times a week (or a good run in 1-2 times per week).

Tex117
AG
texag06ish said:

My diet is really consistent. I consume 2300 calories daily. In March I have averaged 239 grams of protein, 73 grams of fat and 191 grams of carbs daily.

My protein intake is probably high right now but that's where I wind up without feeling hungry or miserable. I do my best to take protein in 30 gram increments.
Nice! Man, it will be easy for you. Just increase your carbs. Use white or brown rice. Use that as your accelerator or brake.

You will get it absolutely dialed in!

Quote:

Btw, I'm 5' 11". 40 years old.

Once I get to where I think I'm between 15-18% body fat, I'll move to the next step. That said, it's been a while since I cared about the scale but I still track it so I know.
Nice. Im sure you are looking pretty good at 222 (but yeah, I can also understand why you want to cut a bit more).

In the end, you probably want to start heading back the other way with solid lean mass gain before you think you need to, but thats going to be a judgment call by you.
Tex117
AG
texag06ish said:

Eventually I'll scale back my daily cardio to help lower my deficit but currently my main objectives are to 1) get to 15-18% body fat and 2) get my visceral fat level to 10% or below.
Im a runner. Don't let some of these meatheads push you around on that.

(But that said...if you get dead serious about lifting effing heavy weight, you probably do want to cut down on your cardio...but that wont be your issue for a little while).
texag06ish
AG
I'm not sure I'll ever get super serious about being really strong - once I meet my health goals, lifting will be mostly for vanity.

***ducks in advance of raging gym bros***
CC09LawAg
I would say probably around 500 calories and 40g of protein - I was mixing milk, Greek yogurt, protein powder, honey, chia seeds, and steel cut oats.
Tex117
AG
texag06ish said:

I'm not sure I'll ever get super serious about being really strong - once I meet my health goals, lifting will be mostly for vanity.

Yeah...I said the same thing... And no, I don't take it super serious like some others on here, but there is some value in learning how to do the big compound movements at heavy(ish) weight. You definitely get into it.
bam02
AG
texag06ish said:

My average calorie deficit is -738 daily. That is calculated by using my Apple Watch as a guide and reducing the total calories by 20% (I read Apple Watch can overestimate by as much as 20% so I just reduce the number by 20%).

How exactly does an Apple Watch calculate calorie deficit, anyway? It doesn't make sense to me
texag06ish
AG
It doesn't. It gives you your daily calorie expenditure. I track my calorie intake with another app and reconcile on a homemade spreadsheet.
Tex117
AG
texag06ish said:

It doesn't. It gives you your daily calorie expenditure. I track my calorie intake with another app and reconcile on a homemade spreadsheet.
These things are notoriously high. (Ie, overestimates what you burn). But if it helps, it helps.
texag06ish
AG
They are. I reduce the total number by 20% based on my research.

With that said, before I started lifting my weight loss was within .10 of a pound using the 3500 calories = 1lb of fat lost rule.
Tex117
AG
texag06ish said:

They are. I reduce the total number by 20% based on my research.

With that said, before I started lifting my weight loss was within .10 of a pound using the 3500 calories = 1lb of fat lost rule.
Man...you have all this dialed in.

You should have absolutely no problem on a bulk in limiting the fat gain (its going to happen some).
texag06ish
AG
Thanks man! It's been a loooong 8 month journey and I have learned a lot.

Ideally I'd like to wind up somewhere between 200-215 with good muscle mass when it's all said and done.

I just have to keep pushing forward.
CC09LawAg
You dropped all that weight in 8 months? That is awesome.

If you enjoy spreadsheets and tracking and all that, I think you'll really enjoy the journey with lifting. It almost becomes a game in and of itself.
texag06ish
AG
I've been tempted to take my laptop in start tracking stuff on my lifts but I'm not there yet.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
PascalsWager said:

It confuses me that people overwhelmingly seem to enjoy lifting weights and exercising. Now I can understand getting a sense of accomplishment for going to the gym; feeling good that you did something positive for yourself. I can also understand feeling good looking at yourself in the mirror. But people seem to be suggesting that the physical act of weight training (or running or whatever else) gives them joy or pleasure or a dopamine response.

It is absolutely true for me. I want to be intimately familiar with the limitations of my body and mind and "punishing" my body is the best way to do so. I also feel way better on the days I work out versus the one or possibly two off-days a week I have. It also requires you to have a sound diet, sleep schedule, and minimize indulgences like alcohol - all of which have a positive impact on how you feel as well.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
texag06ish said:

Nothing wrong with this approach and I'm a self proclaimed gym bro
PascalsWager
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

PascalsWager said:

It is absolutely true for me. I want to be intimately familiar with the limitations of my body and mind and "punishing" my body is the best way to do so. I also feel way better on the days I work out versus the one or possibly two off-days a week I have. It also requires you to have a sound diet, sleep schedule, and minimize indulgences like alcohol - all of which have a positive impact on how you feel as well.
This is such a different experience than me. The only good days I have now are my off days.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've been doing this for 21 years now and have achieved some pretty respectable numbers along the way. It has always been fun but being good at it certainly doesn't hurt.
CC09LawAg
May be worth it to assess what your goals are and why you're doing it. I've only been at this for 2 years and even in that time I've been through ruts.

For me, I love the process. The general concept and science behind strength training is pretty simple and straightforward.

The barbell doesn't lie and it is an honest assessment of your work ethic and discipline. There are no shortcuts (even using gear). If you want to get stronger, you've got to play by certain rules.

Not a lot of things in life give you a deal that honest.
texag06ish
AG
Truth. I'm learning the beauty is in the work, not the results….but the results are cool too.

**Sad face emoji used by accident.
Beau Holder
AG
EDIT: Wrong thread lol
Tex117
AG
PascalsWager said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

PascalsWager said:

This is such a different experience than me. The only good days I have now are my off days.

Having no idea of your training history, etc., is it time to perhaps switch fitness goals to stay fresh?

If you want some advice from folks on this thread, what's you age, height, weight, what have you been doing, how long have you been doing that, what are your fitness goals?

Beau Holder
AG
PascalsWager said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

PascalsWager said:

Burnout could be an issue. Routines need to be changed up to stay fresh and productive, as mentioned above.

Yes it absolutely brings joy. Deadlifting, specifically.
True Anomaly
AG
CC09LawAg said:

May be worth it to assess what your goals are and why you're doing it. I've only been at this for 2 years and even in that time I've been through ruts.

For me, I love the process. The general concept and science behind strength training is pretty simple and straightforward.

The barbell doesn't lie and it is an honest assessment of your work ethic and discipline. There are no shortcuts (even using gear). If you want to get stronger, you've got to play by certain rules.

Not a lot of things in life give you a deal that honest.
It's funny, I feel that way about bodybuilding. It is an outward reflection of your hard work, and you literally get to wear the results of your hard work everywhere you go. Even without gear or TRT.
NoHo Hank
AG
PascalsWager said:

I break the enjoyment of lifting and exercise in general into 3 categories:

1. Type 2 Fun - the activity that brings you happiness having completed it. Anyone that says they really enjoy climbing mountains is full of it. I've climbed quite a few, and trudging one foot in front of the other for hours and days on end.. ehh. It's just a grind. But the view, cumulative experience in retrospect, the sense of accomplishment, that is all really meaningful and drives you forward into the next big goal, whatever that might be.

2. Mental health - We all have a way we want to define ourselves. I want to be the type of person that helps someone else out when they need support, or whatever. Well we've only got one life and one body, part of my sense of identity is taking care of that body. It means I have a much better probability of being a rough and tumble idiot with my grandkids the same way I am with my kids. And so exercise helps align me to that activity and is an important part of my mental state. Too much inactivity and I suffer mentally. That's compounded by the lack of seratonin/endorphin production that you lose out on by not moving.

3) Focusing on the pain - I gotta do deadlifts at some point today and I may not be super excited about it right now, but while I'm in it, it's very meditative. Hard to think about some BS reporting that I have to push my team to get through by middle of next week when I'm picking up heavy things. When I'm lifting or usually when I'm riding a bike, that's my central focus. Keeps out all the other stuff. And yeah, doing interval training on my bike is a grind, but even that, it's a 4 minute tabata ride, 3 8 minute hard intervals, or whatever the duration, it's not that long. I try to embrace the fact that I'm entering the pain cave for a bit, and that a little discomfort is a good thing, and this'll be the only real physical discomfort I experience today, so might as well be in it and give it what I can.

Combo of the 3 keeps me back. It's not a 33/33/33 split, and it's not a constant every day, but focusing on the 3 cumulatively let's me take a big picture and day to day focus that keeps me coming back and really enjoying it.
aggiegolfer03
AG
I enjoy being pushed, but there's not greater feeling to me than playing a sport that requires me to sprint. I love how sprinting makes me feel. And I'm far from a runner.

Upper body stuff I do enjoy pushing myself, but lower body is a drag as I get older...lol.
Beau Holder
AG
Well put.
CC09LawAg
Anyone use Versagripps?

Ordered a women's size barbell for my wife and I'm trying to minimize the wear and tear on her hands because I don't think she's going to enjoy having callouses as much as I do.

I may grab a pair for myself as well for exercises where I don't want my grip limiting me.
Tex117
AG
Yup. I decided. I need to cut some body fat. Been bulking for over a year. Im 6'5". Went from 164 to 237.

Its just time. I know I'll lose some muscle while cutting fat (going to go slow), but about how much strength does one expect to lose?
CC09LawAg
I am no expert and just did my first attempt at serious weight loss since starting to lift heavy. But for anecdotal purposes...

I maxed at 425 on squat middle of February, and struggled through a 385 single last night. Don't think I could've pushed much more than that.

This was after losing about 13 pounds in about 6 weeks. I imagine if you do it slower than I did, your results will be better.
CC09LawAg
I will add though - I think in the mirror I look about as lean at 230 as I did at 220, just bigger.

I set a way too unrealistic goal of getting down to 210 pounds - which in hindsight was silly. If I were you, knowing what I know now, I'd try to just get down to 220 and see how you feel. Maybe give yourself 3 or 4 months to get there.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I will add though - I think in the mirror I look about as lean at 230 as I did at 220, just bigger.

I set a way too unrealistic goal of getting down to 210 pounds - which in hindsight was silly. If I were you, knowing what I know now, I'd try to just get down to 220 and see how you feel. Maybe give yourself 3 or 4 months to get there.
Thank you for this. Yeah. This is going to be my goal. Ive run all my macros and found a few easy cuts. Instead of saying "I want to hit this weight by this time" I'm first going to see if I can find the "maintain" weight...and just start slowing turning the ship.

IM going to take my sweet time getting back down to 220.
CC09LawAg
Yes, I think finding that maintenance point is key. Especially if you're able to keep making gains while maintaining, then you've found the sweet spot.

My biggest issue, I think, is still clinging to my dieting habits from yesteryear where carbs = bad. I think that's a big source of my lack of energy on my lifts. Generally, when I'm trying to lose weight, I just drastically cut my carb intake.

My hope is if I add some back in and try to maintain this 230-235 range I'm in, that I can keep making gains without having to worry about "cutting". Then when I'm really pushing the lifting only allow myself a 5-10 pound gain so it's easier to come back from it next time.

I really would like to add in some hard conditioning, but I just don't think I'll be able to do it consistently enough to rely on it for weight loss.
Tex117
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Yes, I think finding that maintenance point is key. Especially if you're able to keep making gains while maintaining, then you've found the sweet spot.

My biggest issue, I think, is still clinging to my dieting habits from yesteryear where carbs = bad. I think that's a big source of my lack of energy on my lifts. Generally, when I'm trying to lose weight, I just drastically cut my carb intake.

My hope is if I add some back in and try to maintain this 230-235 range I'm in, that I can keep making gains without having to worry about "cutting". Then when I'm really pushing the lifting only allow myself a 5-10 pound gain so it's easier to come back from it next time.

I really would like to add in some hard conditioning, but I just don't think I'll be able to do it consistently enough to rely on it for weight loss.
Man, definitely...that is the promised land right there. That really is the sweet spot, but man...its tricky. Im not going to beat myself up about it though. No "goal" just...take it easy...see small changes. Track weekly.

When I was running my macros, I was relieved to see that I was overdoing it on protein, I can easily cut that back. I was also "bunching up" my protein too close to my workout/end of the day. Trying to get that smoothed out again.

Weights are one thing. Weights are easy. The Nutrition part of this and dialing it in is far trickier.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.