Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bonfire Memories from the '99 Aggie Football team (Updated)

22,717 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Lateralus Ag
EVA3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for posting this, Looch.

quote:
You hear of team-building exercises...I don't think there is anything bigger than that.

This is the reason Bonfire is so important, and why Texas A&M is less without it. We learned to work harder than we ever had, and to work as a team, to accomplish what often seemed impossible. And it developed a camaraderie beyond description.
shelbys99
spherical
AG
quote:

"Jason Glenn, who was on the right hand half, was the first to get up and switch sides. "Football players are over here!" Without hesitation, what seemed like the entire team by this point, got up and moved to the "get back to work" half."
Bea Arthur is SEXY
I was standing out there behind the police tape looking at all the rescue workers, when Tiki Hardeman and some of the other players walked up beside me. Tiki stepped across the tape and walked straight out there to the stack. The next day, I remember seeing photos of those guys with hard hats on moving logs. Those guys knew what Bonfire was all about, and they were bound and determined to help out their fellow Ags.
Shackelford
I had moved to the area just a month prior to the collapse. My wife and toddler daughter slept through the sirens as I turned on the television to see what was going on just blocks away.

I drove to work on campus each day in awe of the structure the students were building. "Wow! that's what it is all about." was my thought every morning.

Hearing about the deaths was very painful. The response from the Aggie community was nothing but inspirational.
12thManftbll
NoACDamnit
When the team first got out there whoever had taken charge at that point (dead reds, don't recall names) didn't want them working for fear of injury and lack of training.

One of the players said "Watch this" and picked up a stump I couldn't so much as budge in my wildest dreams.

They were immediately put to work after that.
steaks02
STACY JONES, FULLBACK:
I woke up to the DJ on my radio alarm clock saying the bonfire stack had fallen and students had died. I headed to campus to an 8:00 a.m. class, and I had to go by the stack. After seeing the stack site, I did not want to go to class, but I went anyway. The professor opened the class by telling us if we needed to miss she would understand. I stayed the whole class because I did not know what I could do to help. The rest of my classes that morning were canceled. I went to the locker room and changed for a weight work out. Someone (I don’t remember who) said that the upper classman are at the site helping move logs and they were headed there also. All of us that were there jumped into vehicles and headed over. I remember walking next to the orange fence and just before crossing over, a female Aggie was standing by and I heard her say a soft “Thank You” to us.

I can remember some Corp members giving us a brief lesson on how to lift the logs. We were supposed to approach the log…one, two, half way up…three, four all the way up. It seemed that ever log I helped with went all the way up at one, two.

One of the other things that stands out in my memory, is at Yell Practice the night before the game. After all of the players left the field and headed to the locker room to get on the bus, George Bush Sr. and George Bush Jr. were standing there as we entered the locker room. They shock hands and made eye contact with every single player. I was very shocked by their presence, and also appreciative.

After my playing days at A&M were done, I had another semester before graduating. So, in the fall of ’03 I had to go to bonfire cut. I am really glad that I did. Those are some memories that I hope to never forget. It was great to see that ever though the university does not sanction bonfire anymore, the tradition still lives on through the alumni and the students.
EMc77
AG
Thanks for the remembrance, Stacy.

Rebel96
AG
It's hard not to feel the emotions of 10 years ago when reading those accounts. Thanks for sharing.
NoACDamnit
quote:
We were supposed to approach the log�one, two, half way up�three, four all the way up. It seemed that ever log I helped with went all the way up at one, two.

It was a great system for us mortal folk that were actually straining with the lift. You guys made it look like you were carrying pine needles.
DPwarrior
what are the profits from this video going to?
aggiebear
AG
We are the Aggies.
spherical
AG
quote:
CORNELIUS ANTHONY, LINEBACKER

damn.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Got the call at 6:00 am from my sister. We stayed glued to the tv and discussed whether we would make the trip from Midland. After many tears and discussion, we piled in the car and set out for College Station. I am so thankful that we made that trip. The game was surreal, emotional, and spiritual to us as we watched our AGGIE angels and players in action. I will never forget how the game ended and how it seemed that time stood still. After we went to Bonfire site, cried, read notes, saw pots, flowers, and above all else we were so proud to be a part of the AGGIE family. We are different, and those on the outside don't understand, but for those of us on the inside it gets pretty close to heaven. Afterward my grandson and I were reading the Dallas Morning News and looking at the picture of the fallen stack. I was crying much like now, and my grandson pointed out what looked like angels in the picture above stack. It was truly amazing. God bless Texas A & M. Mark's wife, Marsha

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
captain angry
AG
This should be mandatory reading material for the team this week.
Liucci
Staff
AG
Thanks to everyone for posting on this thread and telling your stories. Just saw yours, Stacy. Thank you very much! Good to hear from you and I'm sure you know how much everyone appreciates you posting. Hope things are going well.
EllisCoAg
AG
with tears in my eyes, what an emotional read
p_bubel
Wow. Just wow.
Rick68
AG
Thanks staff, and thanks to those sharing their memories.
Barnacle
AG
I attended the game with my dad who is a Longhorn. The game was so emotional that even he got caught up in the moment and sawed Varsity's horns off however reluctantly at first.

quote:
"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, forget em', cause, man, they're gone."

- Jack Handey

ags_in_omaha
JA'MAR TOOMBS!
Thirsty Third
AG
Thank you all for sharing.

There is a spirit..

Highway 6 runs both ways...
nai06
Ags77
shinerbalk
this is awesome
RDV-1992
I love A&M. I miss bonfire. I don't think people that went to other schools understand what it meant to us. Or what it still means to us. The sorrow for the twelve. And the yearning for bonfire to return. I'm just at a loss for words...
Lord Infamous
I am sitting at work this morning fighting back tears. I think about that day and that game all the time, and I still get a chill down my neck and a tear in my eye.
We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we!
Big Al 1992
AG
One of the best posts in TexAgs history.

Gig 'em!

BTHOtu!
Rusty GCS
AG
ttt
aggiemom2011
Know Your Enemy
JumpinAg
Can't read a single line without tearing up.
MASAXET
AG
The single best post ever on this site. I'm tearing up in my office.

Damn I'm proud to be an Aggie
JumpinAg
quote:
The single best post ever on this site. I'm tearing up in my office.

Damn I'm proud to be an Aggie

+1

As I'm tearing up, a 'sip has the audacity to say inconsiderate things. I left a link to this post for him to see.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.