***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

188,081 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Castle, Zach and Sheppard aren't there, I'd consider Cody Williams. He's likely to spend the year in Austin but once he gets more run and grows into his body, he could be a steal. Lots of natural skills and feel.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

If Castle, Zach and Sheppard aren't there, I'd consider Cody Williams. He's likely to spend the year in Austin but once he gets more run and grows into his body, he could be a steal. Lots of natural skills and feeling.
I'd even take Clingan if he was there. I realize he is getting backup duty only, but I think he comes out the gates as a 4th or 5th year Jakob Poeltl and improves from there. Even in limited minutes, I think Clingan would put up like 15/12 per36 and have some nice passing.

We don't improve significantly, but Collins won't be hard to move since he only has two years and we need a secondary rim protector. Lots of other guys like you said with Cody will just be in Austin anyway. Matas Samanic would be the same way.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I wouldn't mind Clingan as a Collins replacement. But I think that Collins contract will be much harder to move than one would think. I wouldn't want to pay Collins that money even if I was a Washington who needs a big.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Question:

Josh Giddey is unplayable sometimes vs the Mavs. He hasn't learned how to shoot (48/34/81 this year, only shoots wide open catch and shoot threes, and not even corner threes), and his defense is average, but he can guard 1-4. His role in OKC is decreasing and he dropped from 31 to 25mpg this year, despite being healthy (80 games.) He was 17/8/6 last year and 12/6/5 this year. He turns 22 in October.

If OKC doesn't want to give him the extension, because JDub and chet are due extensions the following year, would you want to try to trade for him?

Absolutely (assuming the asking price isn't ridiculous). His shooting is about the same as Jones, but he's way bigger and a better defender. I think the biggest reason he's having a hard time getting on the floor for okc is because he's having to play off the ball, which isn't his biggest asset offensively. He's at his best as the primary ball handler where he can use his size and vision to set up teammates. A 6'8" PG next to Vassel, Sochan, Wemby, and another big wing (Risacher maybe?) and we'll start being able to put defensive lineups out there that look like the Magic with all of their insane length and switching.

In fairness, I was also a big fan of Giddey and wanted him to fall to the Spurs when he was being drafted.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Kiss of death. Who do we want with the 8th pick?

I'm sure one of Risacher, Salaun, Sheppard, Castle will be there. Maybe move down and get Pacome Dadiet.

Tristan De Silva to get as PF to play next to SF Sochan. Hopefully he won't invade Sochan's space.

Cody Williams is the jack of all trades, master of none. Maybe he keeps improving everywhere like his brother did. Or do we like him just because he is a taller version of his brother?

Maybe Ron Holland if they think we can teach him how to play basketball and not just how to dunk in transition.

I'd way rather have Cody Williams than Holland. I think it's way easier to teach and improves skills than it is feel and basketball IQ.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Kiss of death. Who do we want with the 8th pick?

I'm sure one of Risacher, Salaun, Sheppard, Castle will be there. Maybe move down and get Pacome Dadiet.

Tristan De Silva to get as PF to play next to SF Sochan. Hopefully he won't invade Sochan's space.

Cody Williams is the jack of all trades, master of none. Maybe he keeps improving everywhere like his brother did. Or do we like him just because he is a taller version of his brother?

Maybe Ron Holland if they think we can teach him how to play basketball and not just how to dunk in transition.

I'd way rather have Cody Williams than Holland. I think it's way easier to teach and improves skills than it is feel and basketball IQ.

I agree and I think it's also a good thing that his older brother is a top 20 basketball player in the NBA. I think that bodes well for his future and it would also make the OKC San Antonio rivalry even better.

Even as rivals, the brothers will probably be trying to help each other make improvements on their game every offseason.

If he's got the same mindset as his brother, I don't see any reason why he can't become Brandon Ingram level or better
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea one of the things pointed out in some of the Williams draft videos is that he knows the plays he has to make, he just has some awkwardness in the execution at times. His mind is ahead of his body. Much better problem to have.
Guitarsoup
AG
The cap hit on Collins is 11% for the next 2 years. I think a lot of teams that need a spacing big would take a shot on him, especially with how good his shooting was post All-Star break. He was 50/48 postASB.

If you just wanted a salary dump him, you could easily make a deal with the wizards on a signing trade for tyus Jones.

But I think his salary will be useful next summer when we probably do have to move some picks to trade for a different player. Next summer it's an ending contract and I don't think we're going to do anything major until then anyway
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Vic was destined to be a Spur.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/07/11/tim-duncan-spurs-retirement-worst-fashion-photos

How can we forget this masterpiece?
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
We shouldn't rush anything but dammit we need to do everything we can to keep this kid.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

We shouldn't rush anything but dammit we need to do everything we can to keep this kid.
All I do is Nguyen
30 mins of Wemby awesomeness

2008and1
AG
That double block on Green early in the season was amazing.
Guitarsoup
AG
Got 8th from Toronto
Enzo The Baker
AG
lol sucks to suck Detroit.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs got a top 4

Detroit sucks
FTAG 2000
AG
Detroit.
Ag Natural
AG
Tanking doesn't quite work when you have terrible lottery luck
Guitarsoup
AG
Hate the Hawks getting that top 4.
Guitarsoup
AG
#4 and 8
Guitarsoup
AG
**** the hawks getting #1
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'll take it. We can get one of Risacher, Castle, Topic or Dillingham.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

**** the hawks getting #1

Maybe they'll trade Trae and DJM and be in the lottery again next year with the same luck.
FTAG 2000
AG
Want Castle.

Hopefully Hawks pick is a colossal bust, want that unprotected next year.
jteagle
AG
Yeah, I think 4 and 8 puts them in a good position.
Guitarsoup
AG
1. Atlanta
2. Washington
3. Houston
4. Spurs
5. Pistons

Atlanta takes Risacher #1 b/c they are committed to OO at center and Jalen at PF?

Washington takes Sarr

Houston ???

All I know is every mock will have us going Rob or Topic and we wont take either.
Guitarsoup
AG

Could have been the dream Sarr/Sheppard pairing.
Enzo The Baker
AG
jteagle said:

With the consensus all over the place, I can see us trying to move up into the top 3 of there is someone we really want. With these options I can also see us trading out or trading back.

One thing to note, I think with Atlanta get the top pick this year, it's found money. They might not be as incentivized with trades centered around their picks anymore. Which is fine, I don't want to do business with anything they have anyways.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

1. Atlanta
2. Washington
3. Houston
4. Spurs
5. Pistons

Atlanta takes Risacher #1 b/c they are committed to OO at center and Jalen at PF?

Washington takes Sarr

Houston ???

All I know is every mock will have us going Rob or Topic and we wont take either.

Gotta think rockets take a point.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

jteagle said:

With the consensus all over the place, I can see us trying to move up into the top 3 of there is someone we really want. With these options I can also see us trading out or trading back.

One thing to note, I think with Atlanta get the top pick this year, it's found money. They might not be as incentivized with trades centered around their picks anymore. Which is fine, I don't want to do business with anything they have anyways.

Ah yeah I'd like to do business with that unprotected pick they owe us if they have another crap year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It can work the other way too. If the Spurs want a top 2 player this year badly, they can package an Atlanta pick/swap with one of ours.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Guitarsoup said:

1. Atlanta
2. Washington
3. Houston
4. Spurs
5. Pistons

Washington takes Sarr

Houston ???

They have FVV and Amen Thompson, though.
Enzo The Baker
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Guitarsoup said:

1. Atlanta
2. Washington
3. Houston
4. Spurs
5. Pistons

Washington takes Sarr

Houston ???

I could see them taking dillingham. Maybe Castle to fit with what Udoka likes. Or maybe they do Clingan to shore up their center position. Adam's health is probably iffy.
Guitarsoup
AG
Atl - Sarr
Wash - Topic
Hou - Clingan (move Sengun to PF usa Adams as backup)
SA - Risacher

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.