***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

183,611 Views | 3346 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Enzo The Baker
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Stein said Spurs are a potential landing spot for CP3. I would not mind it, especially if we draft Castle so he can learn from him.

I bet the Lakers are front runners though due to his relationship with James and home in LA.
Everyone just links us to everything. Spurs aren't gonna give any real assets for Paul at 39yo and no way does he want to babysit at this point in his career when he is a ring chaser.

TBH Chris Paul doesn't really strike me as a ring chaser. Also, a contender is likely not going to be able to have the assets to trade for him salary wise. I wouldn't mind giving up a couple protected seconds for him. I think his value to our young team would be huge.

Edit: He also has a good relationship with Pop and respects him. From a culture standpoint it's not like it would be amateur hour for him. And playing with Wemby would not be a bad way to close out his career.
If Paul wanted to come here to mentor Castle, I am all for it. By all accounts, he did incredible stuff for SGA.

But I don't know why you would think he is not going to try to ring chase. Felt like that is why he went to Houston then resigned with Phoenix.

But in any event, if we brought him in, we can't do it until after the new season starts, and it would have to be something like Keldon for Paul or Zach for Paul. This would also completely kill any salary cap space, since we would absorb him into space. We can't trade for him until after July 1 because of tax rules since GSW is a 2nd apron team.

His contract is a team option, so if GSW picks it up and trades him for Collins, then Paul doesn't really have a lot of say, other than being a whiney ***** like always.

If we draft Castle then Clingan, trading Collins for Paul makes a lot of sense. Then we could still bring in a FA with the Room Exception, such as Kyle Anderson. Room is a 2y deal starting at about 8M.

Yea. I'm wanting him with the thought of us taking a PG in the draft, which is very likely if we keep both our picks and don't make a trade for Young/DJ/Garland.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Stein said Spurs are a potential landing spot for CP3. I would not mind it, especially if we draft Castle so he can learn from him.

I bet the Lakers are front runners though due to his relationship with James and home in LA.
Everyone just links us to everything. Spurs aren't gonna give any real assets for Paul at 39yo and no way does he want to babysit at this point in his career when he is a ring chaser.

TBH Chris Paul doesn't really strike me as a ring chaser. Also, a contender is likely not going to be able to have the assets to trade for him salary wise. I wouldn't mind giving up a couple protected seconds for him. I think his value to our young team would be huge.

Edit: He also has a good relationship with Pop and respects him. From a culture standpoint it's not like it would be amateur hour for him. And playing with Wemby would not be a bad way to close out his career.
If Paul wanted to come here to mentor Castle, I am all for it. By all accounts, he did incredible stuff for SGA.

But I don't know why you would think he is not going to try to ring chase. Felt like that is why he went to Houston then resigned with Phoenix.

But in any event, if we brought him in, we can't do it until after the new season starts, and it would have to be something like Keldon for Paul or Zach for Paul. This would also completely kill any salary cap space, since we would absorb him into space. We can't trade for him until after July 1 because of tax rules since GSW is a 2nd apron team.

His contract is a team option, so if GSW picks it up and trades him for Collins, then Paul doesn't really have a lot of say, other than being a whiney ***** like always.

If we draft Castle then Clingan, trading Collins for Paul makes a lot of sense. Then we could still bring in a FA with the Room Exception, such as Kyle Anderson. Room is a 2y deal starting at about 8M.

Yea. I'm wanting him with the thought of us taking a PG in the draft, which is very likely if we keep both our picks and don't make a trade for Young/DJ/Garland.
I don't think a big trade is coming until Feb 2025 deadline or 2025 draft. I do think we see something small this year.

If GSW is going to blow it up, I can see the Spurs stepping in to get Paul, assuming Paul wants that elder statesman role. I do still think he wants a ring.

#4 Castle
#8 Clingan
#35 Jalen Bridges
#48 Cam Spencer

Trade Zach, Branham, for Chris Paul
Cut DeVonte Graham
Room exception on Kyle Anderson

Wemby / Clingan / Bassey
SloMo / Sochan
Champagnie / Bridges / Cissoko
Vassell / Castle / Spencer
Paul / Tre / Wesley

That's good for 25, maybe 28 wins.
jteagle
AG
I wouldn't mind Chris Paul except that...
he's still Chris Paul.
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I don't think a big trade is coming until Feb 2025 deadline or 2025 draft. I do think we see something small this year.

If GSW is going to blow it up, I can see the Spurs stepping in to get Paul, assuming Paul wants that elder statesman role. I do still think he wants a ring.

#4 Castle
#8 Clingan
#35 Jalen Bridges
#48 Cam Spencer

Trade Zach, Branham, for Chris Paul
Cut DeVonte Graham
Room exception on Kyle Anderson

Wemby / Clingan / Bassey
SloMo / Sochan
Champagnie / Bridges / Cissoko
Vassell / Castle / Spencer
Paul / Tre / Wesley

That's good for 25, maybe 28 wins.

I think this lineup with Victor's improvement is good for 30-35 wins.

I like the Bridges pick but I'm not sure Clingan will be there at 8.
Guitarsoup
AG
He may or may not be. I also forgot to include Keldon because I didn't trade him out
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
If we can get out from under Zach Collins in a CP3 deal then I think this is exactly the kind of move we should be looking at. GSW kind of needs a big too since Saric is a FA. GSW also has no draft picks this year so I'd think they would be interested in our SRPs, and I think we can absorb the salary difference into our space to give them another angle for incentive. I'm all for it as long as it isn't going to cost us anything important which it probably won't given his age/contract/production.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

If we can get out from under Zach Collins in a CP3 deal then I think this is exactly the kind of move we should be looking at. GSW kind of needs a big too since Saric is a FA. GSW also has no draft picks this year so I'd think they would be interested in our SRPs, and I think we can absorb the salary difference into our space to give them another angle for incentive. I'm all for it as long as it isn't going to cost us anything important which it probably won't given his age/contract/production.
We can do Collins straight up for chris paul after july 1.

I don't think that Collins is the negative asset that many people think he is based on his early season performance. He closed out by shooting 50/48 after the all star break and his defense was much improved. While his extension is a big raise, it is only 8-9% of the cap, so it isn't a crippling thing by any means.

If we moved Collins like this, let Branham, Wesley, Champagnie, and Bassey walk, we'd have ridiculous cap space. Cap is projected to be like 156M that season and with Wemby, Sochan, Devin, Keldon, #4, #8, and resign Tre Jones at $12M we would have something like 60M in cap space, plus lottery picks from Spurs, Hawks, and Bulls.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

We can do Collins straight up for chris paul after july 1.

I don't think that Collins is the negative asset that many people think he is based on his early season performance. He closed out by shooting 50/48 after the all star break and his defense was much improved. While his extension is a big raise, it is only 8-9% of the cap, so it isn't a crippling thing by any means.

If we moved Collins like this, let Branham, Wesley, Champagnie, and Bassey walk, we'd have ridiculous cap space. Cap is projected to be like 156M that season and with Wemby, Sochan, Devin, Keldon, #4, #8, and resign Tre Jones at $12M we would have something like 60M in cap space, plus lottery picks from Spurs, Hawks, and Bulls.

Seeing all this play out and the seemingly infinite flexibility, I gotta laugh at all the bRiAn WrIgHt SuX comments over the last few years.

I still feel even if you run this group back and if there's typical progression on the young guys and not much regression, it's a 25-30 win team. With some modest talent upgrades in the last couple of starters/first off the bench guys or a veteran presence than can settle the team down and maintain while Wemby sits (tbh Keldon should be this guy imo but he's still a little too out of control and trying to go ham when that's not really what he should be doing) it could be a 30+ win team. Adding both (deeper talent and a vet) could be a 40 win team but thats just me and maybe I'm being too kind to our current roster. I think Zach is just fine around 15 mpg but his limitations get exposed at 22+ mpg. Champagnie is best at 10-15 mpg instead of 20+, etc.

Upgrades to roster slots 4-8 whether they come through growth or acquisition is what I want for long term success and I honestly like the idea of CP3 as a temporary fix to Jumpstart things even if he is a lil *****.
Guitarsoup
AG
FO Charlotte, we're taking Risacher and Castle.

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Dude if Castle fell to 8 like that, and we got Risacher at 4. That's a home run draft IMO
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Guitarsoup said:

Dude if Castle fell to 8 like that, and we got Risacher at 4. That's a home run draft IMO
I also think we could offer Charlotte their protected pick back to move from 8 to 6. That's essentially what Washington gave Indiana to move up one spot to get Bilal. They wont' make the playoffs and we have a ****ton of 2nds anyway.
superunknown
AG
I need that praying dog pic bc dang as much as I've tried not to get too convinced about anyone in this draft, Castle just seems like a great fit in so many ways
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
100% my preferred draft as well
Enzo The Baker
AG
If it works out in the Spurs' favor, I'm all for it. But it just seems like that would really hurt his draft stock, unless Castle's camp are confident they can get a promise from SA (I mean who else in the top 10 would they want to draft him, surely not Washington?). In which case, I'm sure Castle's group would even gladly take a 4 position drop at 8th if it means he can be a starting PG with the future of the league.

In any event, it may not mean a lot because this will likely be one of the easiest drafts to move up in recent memory, so if a team who needs a PG wants to trade for a 5-7 pick, eying Castle as their guy, they'll do it.

I think at this point, it's likely Risacher gets drafted in the top 2 with reports of Atlanta considering both him and Sarr at #1, although that could also be BS to try to get teams (like the Spurs) to move up. Also reports of Kuzma being on the block, so Washington pairing Ridacher with Bilal is not about of the realm of possibility.

If we can move up to get Atlanta's pick to snag Risacher for our 4th and returning their pick swap in '26, assuming we can get Castle at 8, I think id consider it.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think we are pretty much guaranteed one of Castle/Risacher at 4.

If Risacher falls to four, I think there is a good chance that either the 5-7 teams pass on Castle or we use that Charlotte pick to move up to 6.

If we take Castle at 4, I am cool with Clingan, Knecht or a project like Salaun, and I think one of those three is there.

Atl: Sarr or Risacher
Was: Sarr, Topic, Risacher, Clingan
Hou: Risacher, Reed
SA: Sarr, Risacher, Castle, Reed
Det: Risacher, Reed, Knecht, Matas
Cha: Castle, Holland, Clingan
Por: Matas, Salaun, Holland, Knecht, Wiliams
SA: Castle, Clingan, Knecht, Salaun

I think no matter how it falls, we get someone we can be happy with.

With #4 we get one of Sarr, Risacher, Reed, or Castle.
With #8 we get one of Castle, Clingan, Knecht, Salaun

My dream scenario is:
1. Sarr
2. Topic
3. Reed
4. Risacher
5. Knecht or Matas
6. Clingan or Holland
7. Matas or Knecht
8. Castle

But if Washington goes Risacher:

1. Sarr
2. Risacher
3. Reed
4. Castle
5. Knecht or Matas
6. Holland or Clingan
7. Knecht or Matas
8. Clingan or Salaun

Salaun is a project, but has a high upside and with two picks, we can take the gamble. I think Clingan will be a rich man's Poeltl, so even if we can't play him next to Wemby more than 5-10 minutes a game, it is a good pick and we still need to go up against bigs like Embiid and Jokic.
Guitarsoup
AG

French PG in the 2025 draft.
Guitarsoup
AG

Guitarsoup
AG
Can't believe he is going to waste his career in Washington.

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Spurs can move up for him if they want him badly enough. They have the Atlanta picks to do it. I don't think they should, but they can.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Spurs can move up for him if they want him badly enough. They have the Atlanta picks to do it. I don't think they should, but they can.

I don't think anybody in this draft is worth moving up for.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I agree. I don't think it's worth giving assets from the next 3 years' drafts. But we will see if the Spurs feel the same way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.