*****Official 2023-2024 Texas Rangers Off-season Thread*****

286,366 Views | 3663 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Grapesoda2525
fc2112
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

Thanks for posting that, that great to watch and listen to.
AggieRob93
AG
Thanks for posting that FC. Such a magical run through the playoffs last season, and that ALCS with the Astros was hella fun to watch, with Carter playing a huge role for the Rangers!
KT 90
AG
Grossman and Jankowski helped Carter with that left field corner at MMP. As far as I can tell, Grossman is still a UFA looking for a team. Rangers obviously don't have room with the emergence of Lankford. Might see Grossman sign a minor league deal somewhere in hopes of being ready if/when a team has a need for an extra outfielder. Otherwise, it might be the end of the line for him.
fc2112
Grossman had career earnings of $21.3 MM.

He's fine.
KT 90
AG
fc2112 said:

Grossman had career earnings of $21.3 MM.

He's fine.
For sure. If anything that was more of a hat tip for helping get us to the World Series.

He was one that got by more on grit than athleticism. He might make a good coach someday if he were so inclined. But he may be too busy shining his ring and counting his Benjamin's to mess with that
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

This is a disaster for the Yankees.

Additions:
Stroman (32): 25GS, 3.95, 136.2 IP

2023 Hold-overs:
Rodon (30-L): 14GS, 6.85, 64.1 IP
Cortes (28-L): 12GS, 4.97, 63.1 IP
Schmidt (27): 32GS, 4.64, 159.0 IP

Possible #5 replacement:
Weaver (29): 3GS, 3.38, 13.1 IP. Career 5.14 in 106GS. 6.40 in 25 GS in 2023

Gil (25)
Beeter (25)
Gomez (24)
As expected... rumors emerging for the Yankees looking for a trade...maybe Cease, with the following ST performances for their likely rotation on OD:

Quote:

Stroman: 3GS, 1.74 ERA, 10.1 IP, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.04 WHIP
C Rodon: 2GS, 6.35 ERA, 5.2 IP, 3 BB, 6 SO, 1.59 WHIP
NCortes: 3GS, 8.10 ERA, 10.0 IP, 2 BB, 13 SO, 1.90 WHIP
Schmidt: 3GS, 5.19 ERA, 8.2 IP, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.04 WHIP

Weaver: 1GS, 3G, 6.75 ERA, 5.1 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1.50 WHIP
Cease was less than spectacular in 2023, but has 2 years of team control (Arbs)
'22: 32 GS, 2.20 ERA, 184.0 IP
'23: 33 GS, 4.58 ERA, 177.0 IP

Reliable and can consume lots of Innings, but what would it cost the Yankees?!

If I'm CY, I poke my head into the tent to see what he'd cost. Not necessarily because I want him, but to see what the rate is and ensure it is sufficiently high.

Corbin Burns is considered a comp although Cease has 1+ year of team control. So... more than Burns, which was the #63 overall prospect (Joey Ortiz) + RP DL Hall. Walcott is #71. Cease is due $8M +/- in '24.

I still throw out the idea of trading someone like Heaney. Yankees could be a home. Take what you find from NYY for Heaney and flip them with some Rangers prospects for Cease?!

DallasAg 94
Live TV...

KT 90
AG

Not for those of us that don't live in DFW. Checked to see if Bally was picking it up, but doesn't look like it.

I've got work to do anyway , but it's good background filler.

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

This is a disaster for the Yankees.

Additions:
Stroman (32): 25GS, 3.95, 136.2 IP

2023 Hold-overs:
Rodon (30-L): 14GS, 6.85, 64.1 IP
Cortes (28-L): 12GS, 4.97, 63.1 IP
Schmidt (27): 32GS, 4.64, 159.0 IP

Possible #5 replacement:
Weaver (29): 3GS, 3.38, 13.1 IP. Career 5.14 in 106GS. 6.40 in 25 GS in 2023

Gil (25)
Beeter (25)
Gomez (24)
As expected... rumors emerging for the Yankees looking for a trade...maybe Cease, with the following ST performances for their likely rotation on OD:

Quote:

Stroman: 3GS, 1.74 ERA, 10.1 IP, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.04 WHIP
C Rodon: 2GS, 6.35 ERA, 5.2 IP, 3 BB, 6 SO, 1.59 WHIP
NCortes: 3GS, 8.10 ERA, 10.0 IP, 2 BB, 13 SO, 1.90 WHIP
Schmidt: 3GS, 5.19 ERA, 8.2 IP, 2 BB, 8 SO, 1.04 WHIP

Weaver: 1GS, 3G, 6.75 ERA, 5.1 IP, 1 BB, 3 SO, 1.50 WHIP

If I'm CY, I poke my head into the tent to see what he'd cost. Not necessarily because I want him, but to see what the rate is and ensure it is sufficiently high.

Corbin Burns is considered a comp although Cease has 1+ year of team control. So... more than Burns, which was the #63 overall prospect (Joey Ortiz) + RP DL Hall. Walcott is #71. Cease is due $8M +/- in '24.

I still throw out the idea of trading someone like Heaney. Yankees could be a home. Take what you find from NYY for Heaney and flip them with some Rangers prospects for Cease?!

So what would that translate to, Walcott and Leiter? Probably add one more player since it's an additional year of control with Cease? But Hall probably rates higher than Leiter prospect wise, so that still may not be enough.

DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

So what would that translate to, Walcott and Leiter? Probably add one more player since it's an additional year of control with Cease? But Hall probably rates higher than Leiter prospect wise, so that still may not be enough.
Rumors seem to be consistent that the CWS wanted Spencer Jones (OF-22-AA) from the Yankees. He is ranked #84 overall (.267, 16HRs, 43 SB in A+/AA)... AA guy with tremendous speed.

I wouldn't give up Walcott nor Leiter.

For Cease from CWS directly, the CWS are a mess. Maldonado is their C, so if you believe half what the Astros think of him, he is terrible. You might find a home for Huff. I haven't scouted their team, but I think they need just about everything except a CF. I would think they don't care about improving their '24 team, but looking at '25 and beyond with young controllable talent.

I would be looking at guys who are blocked.

If Heaney is traded (to the NYY), whatever we get for him (It would be a $4M +/-) reduction in payroll from Heaney to Cease in '24. Maybe we eat some of Heaney's money for NYY to reduce CBT impact and get better prospects.

As an aside, Winn and White have both been optioned to RR, but AFAIK, Leiter is still in camp as a NRI. I'll read way more into it than I should. The "Spring Breakout" game is Thurs... whatever that means. Leiter and White are on the roster but not Winn.

If Leiter is still in camp, it might be that the Rangers want a little more time with him... not to make the OD roster, but continue his growth. They may be warming up with him.
rbtexan
S
Or showcasing him
fc2112
So speaking of blocked players, could Cease be had for Huff, Foscue and Dustin Harris? I think all three could start for CWS this year and are controllable for a while.

Then trade Heaney at some point to get under the CBT.
Tksymm7
AG
Cease is going to go for at least one top 50-ish prospect imo. His extra year of control is a big deal.
CowtownAg06
AG
Agreed. Braves GM said White Sox are asking for the moon. They have no reason to trade him now vs July unless they are blown away. (other than injury risk)
fc2112
I don't think he had a good enough year last season to warrant that

That being said, maybe someone who hasn't recently won the World Series will get desperate.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Not allowed to stream TXA 21 on the DirecTV app, even though it is in the guide. Boo!
DallasAg 94
Sorry to hear that.

I got to watch. The sound of the bat cracking and leather snapping...
DallasAg 94
HeanDawg 5.0, 5H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO

He looked so effortless.

Every time I think, "hey, trade Heaney" he delivers. I think he hears me.
Tksymm7
AG
I was about to say…I don't know why we are so quick to trade Heaney. He's a lefty first off, which is beyond valuable to us currently. He's got a wipe out slider, can pitch out of the pen, but can also be relied to eat innings.
fc2112
DallasAg 94
Tksymm7 said:

I was about to say…I don't know why we are so quick to trade Heaney. He's a lefty first off, which is beyond valuable to us currently. He's got a wipe out slider, can pitch out of the pen, but can also be relied to eat innings.
Hear me out, here. I'm not saying trade him just to make a move or get rid of him.

Right now, most competing teams are looking to piece a rotation together.
Orioles lost Bradish, their Ace.
Yankees lost Cole, their Ace and only reliable SP
Red Sox lost Giolito, their big off-season acquisition.
Rays likely lose Taj Bradley for OD.
Astros likely start with Verlander on IL.
Mariners are the tracking horse (IMO) on rotation. All but the Astros have serious health concerns. I could (and have) documented the Yankees and Rays plight.

The Rangers have what I would consider a solid 1-5. Some health concerns like most teams, but overall, an established 1-4+Bradford. Injuries change things, but look at projected AL rotations and I'd be interested in seeing how the Rangers compare.

At the end of the day, if we pickup a SP... Cease, Monty, other... we have one to give. Bradford to the BP would be fine, but we could trade a SP and get a good return.

Team Control:
Eovaldi: $17M, vOpt for '25
Dunning: $3.3M, A2 in '25, A3 in '26
Jo Gray: $13M, $13M in '25
AHeaney: $13M, FA in '25
Bradfrd: Serf1/2 in '24, Serf2/3 in '25, 3 or 4 more yrs control.

Heaney and Scherzer are our SP FAs at the end of the year. I wouldn't be opposed to trading Gray. Or Dunning. Or Bradford. But those are guys you have for 2025 depth.

2023:
Eovaldi: 25GS, 3.63, 144.0, 132 SO
Dunning: 26GS, 3.70, 172.2, 140 SO
Jo Gray: 29GS, 4.12, 157.1, 142 SO

AHeaney: 28GS, 4.15, 147.1, 151 SO (34G)
Bradfrd: 8 GS, 5.30, 56.0, 51 SO (20G)

We return quit a bit. I include that to consdier, historical performance. All of these guys are helpful for '24. With the Rangers or as trade.

ST
RHP
Eovaldi: 3GS, 3.72, 9.2, 10 SO
Dunning: 3GS, 9.00, 6.0, 7 SO
Jo Gray: 1GS, 0.00, 3.0, 4 SO
LHP
AHeaney: 3GS, 3.60, 10.0, 12 SO
Bradfrd: 3GS, 2.45, 11.0, 9 SO (4G)

FWIW, sample size, ST, the point is... the only concern might be Gray. I think they are likely bringing him along slowly, and hoping he isn't nursing an issue.

No alarms with Eovaldi, Heaney, and Bradford. They all look on target.

Dunning has openly spoken about tinkering with a pitch. I know in '23 there was concern that his Changeup was sitting too fast and he is trying to address that. It isn't alarming and can be justified as just being ST.

Point of all that is the Rangers look like SP is a real strength compared to other contenders. Maybe not to what we like to think we should look like, but all-in-all compare the Rangers to others.

It comes down to if we acquire a SP, who can we afford to trade?! Heaney is odd-man-out to me because he isn't under team control beyond 2024. I truly apprecieate what he brought to the team in '23 and his transition to the BP. We'll need someone who can do that when Scherzer/Mahle/deGrom return. OR... our BP performs and there is no place to for Heaney. Or Gray. Or Dunning.

Cart-horse.
Hair God
AG
Ken Rosenthal just wrote that the 'White Sox's desired return, which according to sources is in the range of these three players, if not them specifically utility man Ezequiel Durn and pitching prospects Brock Porter and Jack Leiter.'
gigem1223
Hair God said:

Ken Rosenthal just wrote that the 'White Sox's desired return, which according to sources is in the range of these three players, if not them specifically utility man Ezequiel Durn and pitching prospects Brock Porter and Jack Leiter.'

I may be in the minority but if that's what's asked I'm doing it immediately. I have zero faith in this club developing its own pitching and would hate to lose Zeke, but he's blocked here. Give me the known TORP that would make this rotation insane for the next 2 years.
MrCoachEricTaylor
Hair God said:

Sheesh…

How about Foscue, Rocker, Corniell, Winn, and White?
MrCoachEricTaylor
gigem1223 said:

Hair God said:

I may be in the minority but if that's what's asked I'm doing it immediately. I have zero faith in this club developing its own pitching and would hate to lose Zeke, but he's blocked here. Give me the known TORP that would make this rotation insane for the next 2 years.

I'm not too keen on parting with Zeke, yeah he's blocked but he's a huge reason why our offense was as good and deep as it was. He's able to fill in for Jung and Seager who are pretty darn injury prone.
gigem1223
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

Hair God said:

Sheesh…

How about Foscue, Rocker, Corniell, Winn, and White?

Little value in many of those. Cease's market is heating up with the Cole injury. Gonna have to give more than crums to get him.
gigem1223
MrCoachEricTaylor said:

gigem1223 said:

Hair God said:

I'm not too keen on parting with Zeke, yeah he's blocked but he's a huge reason why our offense was as good and deep as it was. He's able to fill in for Jung and Seager who are pretty darn injury prone.

Agreed but you gotta give to get a controllable TORP. That's a much bigger need right now IMO. We have plenty of utility depth behind Zeke too.

Tksymm7
AG
Brock Porter would be the one hard to give up, but he's also at least two years away from sniffing the majors, and like that which was said above, I don't trust this organization a lick to develop pitching. Plus, you could sign Cease once you get him knowing that you have some significant money moving in the next two years.

Another thing on Zeke, he may be nice to have, but how much play time is he truly going to get this year with adding Langford? He's been behind Josh Smith as a fielder since day one, so they would go with Smith in the field already, and then they would probably go with Langford as a DH, and maybe even Jared Walsh at this point. So how many reps are there for him barring something catastrophic? I don't see a ton imo.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I see here why fantasy baseball is so popular. People love the idea of trading players away.

As for me, I'm looking at Mahle, Scherzer and DeGrom coming online at various stages in 2024. They will add to Eovaldi, Dunning, Gray, Heaney and Bradford. Plus the handful of maybes coming up on the farm. Plus NRI guys that might make the club or at least be held in AAS.

So why exactly do you trade away top prospects for a guy that you have to outbid other teams for that had a down year last season and you only have for two years? If you were going to do that, why did you sign Mahle?
sburg2007
Because he's cheap for those two years, you haven't developed pitching on your own in how long? Leiter of about to be rule v eligible, you don't know what you're getting when mahle, max, and especially degrom come off the DL.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
You know what you're getting with all three of those guys. They are established MLB pitchers. Two of them are headed to the hall of fame. Not sure if they will be healthy? That is every single pitcher in MLB now.

If I am CY, I'm not serious about trading for Cease if I signed Mahle. If I am serious about it, then I absolutely pissed that money away. I roll with what I have right now and make a move at the deadline if needed. The whole first half for this team will be about positioning for the postseason. Not making it.
Grapesoda2525
Cease for Duran, porter, and leiter is way too high.

Should be something like wendzel, white, and a lower tier prospect.
gigem1223
Grapesoda2525 said:

You don't get a controllable 28 year old TORP for nothing. Why on God's green earth would the white Sox do that? Some of you guys value middling prospects too much.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

You don't get a controllable 28 year old TORP for nothing. Why on God's green earth would the white Sox do that? Some of you guys value middling prospects too much.

And some of you value a dude that went 7-9 with a 4.50+ ERA as some TORP that necessitates three top prospects when you have the same dudes waiting in the wings.

If I am CY, I stand pat. The vast majority of the team that just won the World Series is back for the following season. You roll with what you have and adjust where needed.
First Page Last Page
Page 84 of 105

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.