Portal news

17,215 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Ag4eva95
AggieSports
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Kentucky just got a lot better as Amoore is a terrific point guard. No surprise that she and Strack would follow former VA Tech Coach Kenny Brooks to UK.
AggieSports
AG

Not from the portal but another good get for Kentucky.
frenchtoast
Fitting name for a Kentucky player
aggiedrjdub
AG
Lots of big names in the portal!
Gig'em Aggies! c/o '98 W H O O P!
fitzwatema
AG
Let's hope the Aggies land a few of them!
AggieSports
AG

Let's bring this all-conference point guard home to Texas!
fitzwatema
AG
AggieSports said:

Let's bring this all-conference point guard home to Texas!

That would be an excellent start!
AggieSports
AG

She was a good player for them. Maybe she'd like to wear maroon.
AggieSports
AG

Anyone remember her? "Committing" to her 4th school. I'm amazed she still has eligibility left. Kinda makes me want to request my transcript to see if I have some eligibility left. Lol Go get em Zaay!
Kbeauty63
AG
AggieSports said:

Anyone remember her? "Committing" to her 4th school. I'm amazed she still has eligibility left. Kinda makes me want to request my transcript to see if I have some eligibility left. Lol Go get em Zaay!

She was here the same year we had Alexis Morris. The year we won the SEC regular Championship
AggieSports
AG
Kbeauty63 said:

AggieSports said:

She was here the same year we had Alexis Morris. The year we won the SEC regular Championship

Yes, I remember very well. We had an embarrassment of riches at the guard position that year. That team was pretty stacked.
WBBALLFAN84
Ladies and gentlemen, I just saw a tweet that Sydney Bowles has entered the portal. Thus far all the athletes that have entered the portal except one are guards.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Knew it was coming.
Gap
AG
What are we building around for the future? Are we now a full rebuild again for year 3?
Kbeauty63
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

Knew it was coming.
I was hoping she'd stay.... BUT Aicha & Lauren ARE staying.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Kbeauty63 said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Knew it was coming.
I was hoping she'd stay.... BUT Aicha & Lauren ARE staying.

Yes and I think it's clear the coaches know they have to go in a different direction with more experience on the floor. Barker is a loss, but the others didn't impact the games enough. Wishing them well.
fitzwatema
AG
Wish every play that leaves good luck at their next destination. I agree with others that Barker is the biggest loss so far. I just hope Coach Taylor can bring in some more impact players from the portal.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I really believe we should look to who is leaving and that will probably tell us who they are targeting in the portal.
trackaggie76
AG
Hopefully AC and Ware will stay put---we need another 3-5 transfers to stay afloat!
aggiedrjdub
AG
I think someone posted earlier that she spoke with them and they are staying. Seems to be a core group of 5-6 they are building around now.
Gap
AG
Our experienced strength next season is Coulibaly and Ware. They are both going into their final season.

The roster needs to be seriously rebuilt with some underclassmen that you know will be multi-year starters.
WBBALLFAN84
Gap said:

Our experienced strength next season is Coulibaly and Ware. They are both going into their final season.

The roster needs to be seriously rebuilt with some underclassmen that you know will be multi-year starters.
I agree that the roster will be built around Coulibaly and Ware. They will now need to go in the portal and get players that hopefully fit system with a mix of underclassmen and players with experience. In my opinion, the key is for the underclassmen that you want to be multi-year starters, you're going to have to develop them constantly and re recruit them every season and show them tangible reasons to stay. I just didn't see the development of the returning players from year 1 to year 2. I am wondering if that's the reason for the player's portal entry.
aggiedrjdub
AG
I just think the new way is to bring in experienced transfers and only recruit 1-2 high school players that fit into that model/system. I would be willing to be they bring in 1-2 transfers with similar experience to Endiya, Aicha and Lauren...and hope to develop Sole and the others on the roster. We will have Jada back which is important. You have Kyndal who is a sharp shooter. I think we could be even better next year.
Kbeauty63
AG
aggiedrjdub said:

I just think the new way is to bring in experienced transfers and only recruit 1-2 high school players that fit into that model/system. I would be willing to be they bring in 1-2 transfers with similar experience to Endiya, Aicha and Lauren...and hope to develop Sole and the others on the roster. We will have Jada back which is important. You have Kyndal who is a sharp shooter. I think we could be even better next year.
I'm hoping Kyndal will stay...with her being part of the trio that got in trouble - who knows...
greg.w.h
AG
This will all sort. The question is how the school leverages the new public interest in women's basketball. Given the relatively ineffective approach to marketing the second money sport, we likely need to build a more vibrant group of donors to help lead not only NIL but also a very solid lead donor in the women's side for building interest in the Reed reconfigure / replacement. I think only soccer is lined up in front of that.
aggiedrjdub
AG
greg.w.h said:

This will all sort. The question is how the school leverages the new public interest in women's basketball. Given the relatively ineffective approach to marketing the second money sport, we likely need to build a more vibrant group of donors to help lead not only NIL but also a very solid lead donor in the women's side for building interest in the Reed reconfigure / replacement. I think only soccer is lined up in front of that.
I LITERALLY do not understand NIL. I guess I should look into the initiative, but my assumption was that all donations go into a fund that the sports share. Now I know that's not true. I don't think most of us have any clue as to how NIL works and how our donations can affect a specific sport.
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

greg.w.h said:

I LITERALLY do not understand NIL. I guess I should look into the initiative, but my assumption was that all donations go into a fund that the sports share. Now I know that's not true. I don't think most of us have any clue as to how NIL works and how our donations can affect a specific sport.
Athletes across all sports have jumped into the brand endorsements arena, but football and men's basketball have been the big fish so far, accounting for nearly 67% of all NIL compensation.
Gap
AG
I'll ramble a little about NIL:

NIL is totally individual based, not team or Athletic Dept wide. Now, a collective may decide that they would like to do NIL with all teams members or scholarship team members for a sport - usually a fairly small amount comparatively, perhaps a thousand or two a month.

The NIL deal has to involve a quid pro quo. Money going to the athlete in exchange for something like a social media post or autograph or training session for their sport. Those are just basic examples. But there must be an exchange of something for the NIL dollars.

Some members of a team may be making very big bucks from NIL. The starting QB at a school like A&M is very likely getting over $1 million per year from NIL.

NIL is totally individual directed. The athlete owns their own Name, Image, and Likeness and can be compensated for it. This was decided by the courts. The school or athletic department or team doesn't own it. The individual player does.

There are collectives, but those refer to the group of givers funding NIL getting their money together.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Makes sense. Iz there someone we contact to discuss opportunities?
aggiedrjdub
AG
!
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

Makes sense. Iz there someone we contact to discuss opportunities?
If interested in supporting womens bb reach out to ajones@athletics.tamu.edu
I'm sure she can direct you to whoever you need.
aggiedrjdub
AG
Kylie Marshall is in the transfer portal. This does not surprise me at all. She got zero playing time.
Rudybryan
aggiedrjdub said:

Kylie Marshall is in the transfer portal. This does not surprise me at all. She got zero playing time.

Rudybryan
Rudybryan said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Dumb question how many people are left

Aicha Wade ??????
Kbeauty63
AG
Rudybryan said:

Rudybryan said:

aggiedrjdub said:

Dumb question how many people are left

Aicha Wade ??????
Aicha, Lauren, Sole, Jada, Erica, Vanessa, Sahara, & Kyndall

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.