Portal news

17,300 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Ag4eva95
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't think forfeiting the scholarship is the best way to describe. If someone enters the portal the next semester doesn't have to be renewed by the coaching staff at the school you were playing at. Same basic premise but schools could still honor the agreement if they so choose and some in the past have maybe hoping for a change of heart.
AggieSports
AG

Buzz has the right kind of players who truly want to be Aggies and are 100% in. I think this is what it will take for our WBB program to be consistently successful. I believe Joni will get there but like it did with Buzz, it will take a little time. Ware, Coulibaly, and Jones are those types of players. Hopefully, they will help recruit like-minded players to continue to build the program.
Ag4eva95
Yes and no. If you look at the top 25 programs, they recruit very well. We have not recruited the hs ranks very well outside of Barker. The transfer portal has been huge miss so far this year. We needed to find some real leadership at guard and most of the top transfers are gone. I like the core we bring bring down low, but that won't matter at all if we can't move the ball.

Blair, even in his off years, still recruited decently well. Did they pan out, not necessarily. But Jones and Malone are Blair prospects. But the thing that scares me about Taylor is that she's missing on great instate talent. She was brought in to tap into the local talent and that was a big part of her pitch. Marshall was a huge miss and we have a decent guard/forward coming in, but looks like a Jones clone. So idk how much she will contribute with Jones back.

WBBALLFAN84
Ag4eva95 said:

Yes and no. If you look at the top 25 programs, they recruit very well. We have not recruited the hs ranks very well outside of Barker. The transfer portal has been huge miss so far this year. We needed to find some real leadership at guard and most of the top transfers are gone. I like the core we bring bring down low, but that won't matter at all if we can't move the ball.

Blair, even in his off years, still recruited decently well. Did they pan out, not necessarily. But Jones and Malone are Blair prospects. But the thing that scares me about Taylor is that she's missing on great instate talent. She was brought in to tap into the local talent and that was a big part of her pitch. Marshall was a huge miss and we have a decent guard/forward coming in, but looks like a Jones clone. So idk how much she will contribute with Jones back.

I agree for her 3rd year Joni hasn't done well recruiting the HS ranks in Texas. That will take time to build those relationships. In my opinion something is wrong when you have a 6 player exodus on your team, with 4 that you recruited.

I love basketball and have had kids play and coached from time to time. I am going to say this, something changed from year 1 to year 2. Specifically for Barker and Bowles, who I thought would be the centerpieces going forward for this team but for some reason they regressed as did most of the returners from the 1st year. Most of the coaches that I've talked to and worked with take development very serious. I'm not saying that this staff doesn't take it seriously but to be honest it didn't show basketball wise. I must admit the transfers did well.

Kids today want to come where a team wins, plays a good style of basketball (fit for their skills) and NIL opportunities. The question remains, does the WBB program excel at any of the above? I truly hope that the staff listened to these girls that transferred and did an internal look to see if there's anything that was pointed out needs to be changed, updated or just plain trashed. You have a good core of Coulibaly and Ware that's coming back. Let's hope they concentrate on getting everybody else better also. Last, you can't expect to experience growth when you continue to use the same old tools, methods and habits.
Ag4eva95
Bowels went from having some confidence last year to be completely lost this year. Barker. We all know that story. I think you hit it on the head. Player regression was evident.

Even Coulibally and Rodgers regressed compared to their previous stops. Oregon was a lot more successful than us too, so that's shocking. Coulibally did find her rythyn at the end of the season and that was great to see. She became the go to scorer and a real threat for us to build around. Ware, I think she will always be complimentary. She is not a scorer, but gives the team energy and guidance.

With Taylor, she didn't have a great resume at UGA. Wasn't exactly exciting outside of her USA coaching experience. That hasn't translated into anything here in Aggieland. After watching the offensive confusion and lack of intensity defensively, what is she trying to coach? What is she bringing to the table?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.