Scheffler - Best golf since…?

3,521 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Big Walt Law Firm
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dude continues his unreal run.

Spieth won two majors in 2015 and had a few other wins. Majors is the biggest thing but Scheffler's run right now may be closing in on that. Gotta see how he does in the other majors but it is getting crazy.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Since tiger. I agree another major this year would seal the deal but this is already the best run since tiger in my opinion (at least in a 5-10 tourney stretch).

Heard in the radio that the difference between his bal striking and #2 is the same difference between #2 and like #30 (don't remember the exact number). That just goes to show how he's head and shoulders above everyone else.
CyclingAg82
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Since tiger. I agree another major this year would seal the deal but this is already the best run since tiger in my opinion (at least in a 5-10 tourney stretch).

Heard in the radio that the difference between his bal striking and #2 is the same difference between #2 and like #30 (don't remember the exact number). That just goes to show how he's head and shoulders above everyone else.
In OWGR, the distance between 1st and 2nd, is the difference between 2nd and 80th.

Pretty unbelievable stuff.
jelfag06
AG
Completely agree. Scottie is on another level right now. His chipping and putting (since he made the switch to a mallet) have been unbelievable.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
With his crazy footwork, how long can he keep this up? At some point he is going to lose his timing with all the dancing and getting it back will be incredibly difficult. I think some of this is why I like him. Imagine all the well meaning coaches and friends that have tried to make him more conventional over the years and dude said no thanks, I'm doing it my way. I don't know how long it is sustainable, but it is fun to watch now.
AustinCountyAg
CyclingAg82 said:

mavsfan4ever said:

In OWGR, the distance between 1st and 2nd, is the difference between 2nd and 80th.

Pretty unbelievable stuff.
they've got to do something about the OWGR. The fact that Justin Thomas is #30 in the world is laughable. His last 6 starts in majors he has 4 missed cuts with his best finish being tied for 53.. Granted he won the PGA 2 years ago, but still...
Pinche Guero
AG
To win week after winning the masters is crazy, only been done once by Bernhard Langer
txags11
AG
It's not just Scottie that is playing incredible right now..Nelly Korda on the ladies side is doing things very similar..She's won 5 starts in a row, yes you read that 5 STARTS IN A ROW. Golf is in a pretty good spot across the board..

Throw in the story on the Korn Ferry with the 15 year old and here we are.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Since 1945 Byron Nelson?
jagvocate
AG
Lee Trevino's Summer of '71
safety guy
AG
Think about what Ted Scott is earning as a caddie. This is likely what Bones was thinking when he hooked up with JT. Just did not work out by any measure. But Sheffler is a huge favorite to win any tournament he plays in a manner not seen since tiger.
DannyDuberstein
AG
We are seeing a Tiger like run here. Hope he can keep it going
bowhuntr
But, but…he's boring (half this board).

10 wins in 51 starts…took Tiger 59.

Scottie's caddy has made more than Rory this year.
JCA1
AG
bowhuntr said:

The run Scottie is on is truly historic and up there with some of the game's greats. But I don't think it's inaccurate to say that, for whatever reason, he doesn't inspire people like even Spieth or Rory did, much less Tiger. And I'm guilty of that as well. As incredible as the golf is, I don't get as much out of it watching him dominate as I have watching others on great runs. Couldn't begin to tell you why and, in a lot of ways, wish I didn't feel this way. But I do. Inspiration is a weird thing that has intangible qualities beyond the objective achievements.
bowhuntr
JCA1 said:

bowhuntr said:

The run Scottie is on is truly historic and up there with some of the game's greats. But I don't think it's inaccurate to say that, for whatever reason, he doesn't inspire people like even Spieth or Rory did, much less Tiger. And I'm guilty of that as well. As incredible as the golf is, I don't get as much out of it watching him dominate as I have watching others on great runs. Couldn't begin to tell you why and, in a lot of ways, wish I didn't feel this way. But I do. Inspiration is a weird thing that has intangible qualities beyond the objective achievements.
. Fair, I just love the fact that he is so even keeled…sure, not as entertaining, but what you want from a psychological approach. I also like his caddy has played a huge role in this.
AustinCountyAg
Scottie is a funny store. Boring for some because he's not constantly yelling, fist pumping, playing the hardass on the course like Tiger did. But interesting for others because he completely dominates while doing it with a carefree, happy to be there type of attitude. I think he's an extremely humble dude and I enjoy seeing someone like that succeed over someone like Tiger back in the day who felt like he had to be a complete ass to everyone he went against.

JCA1
AG
bowhuntr said:

JCA1 said:

bowhuntr said:

. Fair, I just love the fact that he is so even keeled…sure, not as entertaining, but what you want from a psychological approach. I also like his caddy has played a huge role in this.
And to be clear, I do like the guy. And I'm still watching and in awe of what he's doing. It just doesn't feel like must-see-TV that I think it would feel like if it was someone else doing it. Hard to explain.
98Ag99Grad
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Scottie is a funny store. Boring for some because he's not constantly yelling, fist pumping, playing the hardass on the course like Tiger did. But interesting for others because he completely dominates while doing it with a carefree, happy to be there type of attitude. I think he's an extremely humble dude and I enjoy seeing someone like that succeed over someone like Tiger back in the day who felt like he had to be a complete ass to everyone he went against.

Definitely best run since Tiger and I tend to agree with this line of thinking. He's easy to root for since he's a nice guy but can see how others would find him boring.
NColoradoAG
JCA1 said:

bowhuntr said:

I agree with all of this. Respect what he's doing but don't find much entertainment in it.
SW AG80
AG
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/38/08/413798C0-09EF-4561-9542-98C28505921A/IMG_8400.heic
Bunk Moreland
I love watching Scottie play. His run is something to behold. The current fractured state of golf unfortunately has left the PGAT with a bunch of boring nice guys. And people are tired of that, yet the Tour seemingly has leaned into that as part of their narrative in the battle vs LIV.

Scottie owes nobody an apology for how he acts out there, but he and the Tour could really use some others to step it up in the personality department and show some outward frustration/desire to go take his ass down for a tourney win and be a rival to him. But we'll likely just continue to get aw shucks look how great everyone is reactions and media coverage.
The Milkman
AG
I don't think watching one of the best players of a generation go on a heater is ever boring, but I think a big chunk of people do because hes playing so well that his game is predictable. Phil at his peak was never "boring" because at any moment he could make an awful decision and put it off a hospitality tent. Same went for Spieth when he was playing well because he made some wild recoveries. Tiger for his own fire on course.

Scottie doesn't make insane decisions or put himself in tricky spots very often.
NColoradoAG
The Milkman said:

I don't think watching one of the best players of a generation go on a heater is ever boring, but I think a big chunk of people do because hes playing so well that his game is predictable. Phil at his peak was never "boring" because at any moment he could make an awful decision and put it off a hospitality tent. Same went for Spieth when he was playing well because he made some wild recoveries. Tiger for his own fire on course.

Scottie doesn't make insane decisions or put himself in tricky spots very often.
This is what my Dad and I landed on when talking Scottie vs Tiger this weekend. Scottie is dominating so much tee to green that he never has to hit a crazy shot. Tiger was always dominant in distance, but he'd miss a fair amount. What set him apart was his aggressiveness and ability to pull off hero shots. We don't know if Scottie can even do that because the guy is hitting the middle of every fairway and dropping it withing 20 feet every time.
thriller03
AG
Regarding his mannerisms and how people react to him - I remember seeing some discussion about Jordan vs Scottie and the DFW support, and the point was made that Jordan looked (and still does in a way) like a kid. Tiger looked like a kid. Rory looked like a kid. Scottie doesn't despite his age.

It's weird to think that makes a difference, but the youthful look, combined with the fist pumps that Tiger had, Rory's swaggery bouncy walk when he was going, and Jordan's general emotional ride I think made the difference. Scottie - late 20's - looks older, and I do think that makes a difference. (Not too me, I love the dude and think it's great that (1) he's dominating and (2) doing it in such a unique humble way. I also think we have no idea how competitive he is, he's just mastered keeping it internal. Should scare folks.)
_lefraud_
AG
8 of his 10 wins have come on only 4 courses (AGNC, Bay Hill, Sawgrass, Scottsdale)....which is very similar to what Tiger did in his heyday
Bunk Moreland
Tiger alone will always have more people invested than Scottie just by their antics/lack of on the course. That said, the side characters matter. It's what elevated Tiger to a such a different status.

Sergio being a fiery young spaniard openly challenging Tiger drew more people to be invested in rooting for him. The rivalry with Phil all those years and Phil thinking Tiger may forever keep him from winning a major drew more interest towards both. Hell Fuzzy making the comments he did made people want to root for Tiger. Not just go "wow he's good." All the sudden every tournament was personal for so much of his fanbase.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Scottie's season reminds me a lot of Vijay's 2004 9-win season. It seemed to happen quietly and ended up being one the best PGA Tour seasons ever. Just playing solid, consistent golf for a long stretch. It will be interesting to see how having a child will affect what he's doing. I don't think it will affect his game as much as it will affect how often he plays going forward for a few months.
JCA1
AG
Scottie not having an obvious rival probably does play into it as well. Everyone knew there was no love lost between Tiger and Phil and that definitely helped.
The Milkman
AG
_lefraud_ said:

8 of his 10 wins have come on only 4 courses (AGNC, Bay Hill, Sawgrass, Scottsdale)....which is very similar to what Tiger did in his heyday
And throwing in Harbour Town... worth noting those are very different courses and styles. Which makes it all the more impressive.

Though hitting the ball straight plays anywhere.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
The Milkman said:

Yep.

He's "boring" because he's a freaking golf machine.
Kansas Kid
Milwaukees Best Light said:

With his crazy footwork, how long can he keep this up? At some point he is going to lose his timing with all the dancing and getting it back will be incredibly difficult. I think some of this is why I like him. Imagine all the well meaning coaches and friends that have tried to make him more conventional over the years and dude said no thanks, I'm doing it my way. I don't know how long it is sustainable, but it is fun to watch now.
I've been thinking that he was going to fall apart because of that footwork since the first time I watched him play. He has only gotten better so I am going to say at this point that he owns his swing and it will be sustainable for a long time barring injury.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That footwork may actually make it easier on his back and other joints - lets things release as his weight transfers.

I have a backfoot slide/drag that is similar although not as exaggerated as SS, but I don't even think about it and hardly realize I'm doing it. I'm guessing it's so ingrained with him that it just happens
Kansas Kid
DannyDuberstein said:

That footwork may actually make it easier on his back and other joints - lets things release as his weight transfers.

I have a backfoot slide/drag that is similar although not as exaggerated as SS, but I don't even think about it and hardly realize I'm doing it. I'm guessing it's so ingrained with him that it just happens
For those that want to learn how to hit it like Journeyman Scottie Scheffler thanks to CPG

AggieDruggist89
AG
I think Scheffler is copying Greg Norman's footwork

Kansas Kid
At least he hasn't copied Norman's ability to lose it on the back nine of Augusta on Sunday.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.