Hydroxychloroquine...........

291,903 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Jabin
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

We don't have to use your precious masks to get some benefit so quit giving bad advice because precious medical masks are low in stock.
it's insanely galling

you can still give good advice and see if the herd decides to take it

i think you'd be shocked at how quickly a scared citizenry will take any and every opportunity to protect itself in the face of a crisis

preference cascades always seem to surprise people, but the information flow that enables them is almost obvious
cone
AG
um yeah

the streets are empty

if you walk around people go out of their way to avoid each other

the concept of 6 foot radius went from non-existent to accepted wisdom in 4-6 weeks

you can absolutely leverage the paranoia to promote behavior changes at this moment
Exsurge Domine
Player To Be Named Later said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Now if we could adopt the mindset of the Chinese/Japanese/Koreans (the needs of the many...) and 80-90% of us are wearing masks correctly all day long? Sure, sign me up. That will never happen here though.

Our society's "screw you, I'll do what I want because.... Murrica" is really going to screw us in these situations.

You're violatin' my rights if I can't cough on produce
Infection_Ag11
AG
aggie-beta said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Player To Be Named Later said:

So how on earth can they tell us they are useless for people to wear? Especially given the potentially lengthy asymptomatic but contagious phase.

Because only a small minority will ever wear them, an even smaller minority will wear them correctly, and a yet smaller minority will do the other necessary aspects (leaving it on all the time, not touching their face, washing hands, etc.) to provide the true benefit.

Essentially, unless we are all onboard and doing it to the best of our abilities, it's just a waste of masks that could best be used elsewhere.

Now if we could adopt the mindset of the Chinese/Japanese/Koreans (the needs of the many...) and 80-90% of us are wearing masks correctly all day long? Sure, sign me up. That will never happen here though.

How about since many of us are not even working we just wear them to go to the grocery store. It's not hard to avoid touching your face with a mask on. I wear one nearly all day at work and never touch my face with it on.

I think it's annoying to see doctors posting the same bull crap as the government. If people are trained properly they could learn in a 10 minute video the proper way to wear a mask to a grocery store and the proper way to take it off. We don't have to use your precious masks to get some benefit so quit giving bad advice because precious medical masks are low in stock.

Part of being a physician is that you come to understand human nature (both the good and the bad) and realize our strengths and limitations as a collective. You are a relatively affluent, educated, successful member of society. You are not representative of the collective unfortunately.

We can't even get a majority of patients in our society to be compliant with life sustaining treatments for their chronic medical conditions. It's entirely unrealistic pie in the sky thinking to expect an overwhelming majority in our society to do this and do it right.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
McInnis 03
AG
Deleting so as not to continue derailing the HCQ thread.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Guess you aren't in Denton County. People still going to grocery store with their whole families, etc.
Infection_Ag11
AG
cone said:

so you think american citizens responding en masse to a crisis is unrealistic?

Driven by a Home Depot recently?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cone
AG
went there two days ago

they were limiting occupancy

what did i miss?
Infection_Ag11
AG
cone said:

so you'd 1) let perfect be the enemy of good and 2) not encourage a DIY approach, thereby allowing the mass produced masks to go to the frontline and having a lesser but not insignificant effect be promoted amongst the herd

This isn't about aiming for perfection, it's about not wasting resources in a fruitless effort. Either build the bridge right or don't waste the time and resources, because the half assed bridge will hurt more people than no bridge at all.

Quote:

we'll be eating beans out of a can this winter unless we get past this defeatism

Hyperbole isn't particularly helpful
cone
AG
Quote:

Either build the bridge right or don't waste the time and resources, because the half assed bridge will hurt more people than no bridge at all.
Infection_Ag11
AG
cone said:

went there two days ago

Barnyard96
AG
I was excited to see the number of new posts on HCQ. Then i started reading them

Good job derailing a great thread, texags.
aginlakeway
AG
cone said:

What does this have to do with this thread?
cone
AG
and your point is?

i wore a mask and maintained social distancing

are we supposed to not go to the grocery store either, because they weren't even controlling occupancy there

so your point is a little lost, insofar as how getting people to wear masks to protect themselves is the same as going to stores which haven't been closed by public health officials
cone
AG
it doesn't, but it even little bit helps as we try to get back to work
cone
AG
sorry bout that

wear a mask in public
Infection_Ag11
AG
barnyard1996 said:

I was excited to see the number of new posts on HCQ. Then i started reading them

Good job derailing a great thread, texags.

Fair enough
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Had my first death today. Sat at home with symptoms for 7 days. Then the 7-9 day viral pneumonia hypoxia. Come to hospital. He got HCQ at day 7. Too late. We aren't using this drug appropriately. Needs to be given in first 48 hrs. Somehow. It's doing nothing to pts who are hypoxic. Anecdotal.
Exsurge Domine
Marcus Aurelius said:

Had my first death today. Sat at home with symptoms for 7 days. Then the 7-9 day viral pneumonia hypoxia. Come to hospital. He got HCQ at day 7. Too late. We aren't using this drug appropriately. Needs to be given in first 48 hrs. Somehow.

Sorry doc. It wasn't the husband patient you'd been speaking about was it?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
No.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Came to hospital at Day 7?

At what day did this person have a positive test to be allowed to begin the treatment?

What a kick in the balls this testing snafu is.
cone
AG
age and any underlying conditions?
TxAG#2011
Marcus Aurelius said:

Had my first death today. Sat at home with symptoms for 7 days. Then the 7-9 day viral pneumonia hypoxia. Come to hospital. He got HCQ at day 7. Too late. We aren't using this drug appropriately. Needs to be given in first 48 hrs. Somehow. It's doing nothing to pts who are hypoxic. Anecdotal.
Hopefully in a few weeks the rapid tests will be in abundance. Patient gets tested > gets results immediately > positive cases are given a regiment of HCQ (assuming it proves to be effective by then)
Keegan99
AG
We're wasting HCL on pts that are too far along. Because our damn testing is too slow.

We gotta get it to pts early.
BiochemAg97
AG

Nvm
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Cant give too much details. Got a veiled HIPAA threat from a fellow TexAgs poster. No comorbidities. 54.
cone
AG
dang
Palovic
Marcus Aurelius said:

Sorry to hear this. It is frustrating and I fear that this will not be the last person that this occurs with.

It is absolutely paramount that we get expedient testing up an running to confirm sickness at first symptom as well as ramp up production of the cocktail (HCQ, AZI, ZN) to treat early.

We also need to identify and strongly promote ways to help the general population increase immunity now with effective supplements as we are only putting out the fire currently and not clearing the brush. Washing hands, face masks, and social distancing does not strengthen immunity...all we are doing is trying to dodge bullets and hope we don't get hit.

aginlakeway
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Very sorry to hear this.

May I ask why he sat at home with symptoms for 7 days?
FriscoKid
AG
I'm a believer in this treatment from what I have read. If and when I test positive I will be looking for a doc that would prescribe it. Can it still be prescribed or do you have to be admitted first?

(Not necessarily a question for doc, I don't want to waste their time with these questions)
Marcus Aurelius
AG
No dyspnea until day 6 or so.
Dad
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

If someone like you or one of your coworkers got Covid, would yall wait until they needed to be in the hospital to start the meds or is this something the doctor has no control over because there is that little supply?
aginlakeway
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

No dyspnea until day 6 or so.
Thanks for the information.

Again, very sorry for the loss.
Sq 17
it seems current plan of treatment for those showing symptoms is stay in place until you think you are on the verge of needing hospitialization. If you cant get a test and there is not a treatment regimen staying at home and hoping you can beat it is all you can do Totally sucks

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.