Hydroxychloroquine...........

291,902 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Jabin
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The hospitalization rate for confirmed cases is 20%. I wouldn't call that ust getting better no matter what you do.

Again, OUTPATIENT management. The majority of hospitalized cases are initially testing positive in the hospital, not testing positive as an outpatient then later being admitted. This is largely because those at higher risk are both being admitted more readily for observation and getting sicker earlier in the disease course.

Quote:

If these anecdotal docs all over the internet are being completely honest, some claim to have treated 100+ patients with zero or one ending up in a hospital. That is not within the margin of error for a placebo

Depends on who the patients are. If I treat 100 patients under age 50 who tested positive as an outpatient, it's perfectly reasonable that none would end up in the hospital. The overall hospitalization rate is not applicable to those who initially test positive on an outpatient basis as opposed to an ER or already admitted.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fig96
AG
Quote:

Depends on who the patients are. If I treat 100 patients under age 50 who tested positive as an outpatient, it's perfectly reasonable that none would end up in the hospital. The overall hospitalization rate is not applicable to those who initially test positive on an outpatient basis as opposed to an ER or already admitted.
Is it fair that comments like the "treated 250 people and they're all fine" from the interesting female doctor from the video also plants a lot of doubt?

Like, you're telling me you're in a low income strip center office and EVERY patient that came to see you was treated with a drug that's at best shown some promise is now totally fine.
Philip J Fry
AG
Yeah, shocking isn't it? Especially when you add up the other doctors giving the same protocol who are experiencing similar trends.

More shocking is your assertion that inner city strip mall doctors can't possibly give good care to their patients.
Infection_Ag11
AG
fig96 said:

Quote:

Is it fair that comments like the "treated 250 people and they're all fine" from the interesting female doctor from the video also plants a lot of doubt?

Like, you're telling me you're in a low income strip center office and EVERY patient that came to see you was treated with a drug that's at best shown some promise is now totally fine.

Does it cast doubt? Absolutely, as someone who also provides outpatient infectious diseases care I can confidently say the ability to follow up on all those patients reliably is...difficult, I'll leave it at that. If your patient gets hospitalized, the way you generally find out about it is the patient contacts you, the inpatient provider caring for them contacts you or you find out at their next appointment. And that's only patients that are yours, not even factoring in walk ins and those you saw one time and never again.

I'm not in the habit of calling other doctors liars unless I can prove it though.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fig96
AG
Shocking that a treatment that, no matter what your personal opinion isn't proven, is totally successful on every single patient that these docs saw?

Why yes it is actually.

Also, my assertion has nothing to do with quality of care, it has to do with the demographics we've seen that COVID is hitting lower income minority areas much harder than others. And people in those areas tend to have less health care coverage, work in higher risk jobs, etc.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Yeah, shocking isn't it? Especially when you add up the other doctors giving the same protocol who are experiencing similar trends.

More shocking is your assertion that inner city strip mall doctors can't possibly give good care to their patients.

My doubt comes from the claim that they know all 250+ never got admitted. That's a level of follow up that frankly isn't achievable at most practices and for most providers.

The other thing is, there aren't many doctors in the world who've seen that many Covid patients. The ones who have are going to be largely ID, pulm/crit and ER docs in large population centers. The idea that there are all these outpatient family med and IM docs seeing that people with Covid is definitely hard to believe.
itsyourboypookie
Infection_Ag11 said:

Philip J Fry said:

My doubt comes from the claim that they know all 250+ never got admitted. That's a level of follow up that frankly isn't achievable at most practices and for most providers.

The other thing is, there aren't many doctors in the world who've seen that many Covid patients. The ones who have are going to be largely ID, pulm/crit and ER docs in large population centers. The idea that there are all these outpatient family med and IM docs seeing that people with Covid is definitely hard to believe.

90% of these appointments happen over zoom. People go to these Drs to get the script they want so they will have the best chance of beating this virus.
Infection_Ag11
AG
itsyourboypookie said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Philip J Fry said:

90% of these appointments happen over zoom. People go to these Drs to get the script they want so they will have the best chance of beating this virus.

But follow up for these patients would be nearly non-existent, and a positive test wouldn't even be available in many instances. TeleMed is largely empiric treatment based on symptoms.

In other words, I don't consider such an appointment "seeing a covid patient". You're generally talking to a symptomatic patient who might have covid, or less commonly a patient who had a positive outpatient test.
John J 01
AG
Clearly this gentleman has a liberal agenda.

Philip J Fry
AG
What does "for now" mean?
Picadillo
Whistleblower Dr Li-Meng Yan Comments the Global Politics of Hydroxychloroquine, Says She Takes the Drug for Prevention

http://covexit.com/whistleblower-dr-li-meng-yan-comments-the-global-politics-of-hydroxychloroquine-says-she-takes-the-drug-for-prevention/

Quote:

Whistleblower Dr Li-Meng Yan Takes Hydroxychloroquine as Prevention

Whistleblower Li-Meng Yan appeared this July 30 on Ep 308 of the War Room Pandemic, hosted by Steve Bannon and Jack Maxey.

She explains the role of hydroxychloroquine, how it is used in China among high-ranking officials, and how she herself takes it.

Dr Li-Meng Yan received her MD degree from XiangYa Medical College of Central South University, China, and her PhD from Southern Medical University, China.

At the time of the COVID-19 pandemic she was employed at the Hong Kong School of Public Health, Hong Kong University, conducting research specialized in virology and immunology.

She is one of the first scientists who worked on the coronavirus in Wuhan, back in December last year. She said she warned very early on her superiors about the grave dangers posed by human to human transmission, but her warnings were not taken into consideration.

She flew Hong Kong and is now in hiding in the US.

Here are key excerpts of what Dr Li-Meng Ya said on the program.

"Hydroxychloroquine of course is not a magic drug. There is no magic drug in the world. But in such urgent situation, when faced with a global public health crisis, we should consider the situation and try to find a comparable useful and effective drug to save people's lives."

HCQ in COVID-19 under Trial: With RCTs in Witness Box

"There are no CCP high-level officers, including our chairman, our vice-chairman and all these people, they don't get infected. Also, as our intelligence shows in the military hospital and in some big hospitals, doctors also take this drug. That's why they can get protected. "

"This drug at this moment can save thousands of thousands of lives. Why there are such big obstacle to stop using it?"

"Let me talk back about the mechanism of HCQ. I'm sure Dr F. is a medical doctor and he has known that since back to 2005 this drug

has been used to show as effective for anti-SARS."

"When we talk about the enhanced version of SARS-COVID-2, why you cannot use it to prevent it?"

"Anti-malaria treatment and also prevention has shown that HCQ is a long-term use and safe drug even for pregnant ladies and children for long-term use, just considering the safe dose."

"Of course, Dr F. has talked about the evidence. Let's talk about scientific evidence, from the mechanism to anticipate

the cytokine storm. And also prevention to how these drugs can be applied as a safe drug for long-term use."

"If you come back to check the clinical data that have been shown pro HCQ or against HCQ, as a doctor, as a scientist, it's not difficult for people to realize which side has better scientific quality."

"I can tell you as myself i've been doing that since February 2. So have my 85 year old parents. My mother now says she's never going to stop taking it because her rheumatoid arthritis has been cured but this is something that is just unbelievable to me and we've seen this around the world this idea that this has uh problems with the heart that it causes toxicity"

"But the World Health Organization, we've covered this before, did a study in 2017 that looked at almost five million courses of this dosage in Africa, and could find almost no mortality no drug has side effect."

And Dr Li-Meng Ya to further comment:

"All drugs have side effects. You cannot find a drug without side-effect. You know, water has side effect."

And Maxey to conclude the segment with:

"She's absolutely right. I can guarantee you, more people die from liver problems from Tylenol every year in America than from hydroxychloroquine."

In a next segment, Dr Dr Li-Meng Ya indicates again that hydroxychloroquine is used by high ranking officials and some medical doctors in big and military hospitals.

"Because what the Chinese government, the WHO and their colleagues try to do: they want the people to believe there are no drugs for COVID-19, no good drugs."

"If you know this, how could they get the funding for vaccine development and all these things "

"That's why they try to cover it up, try to mislead people, even if we lose a lot of people's lives."

Picadillo
Irwin M. Fletcher
AG
Picadillo said:

This is a little old because the US CFR is now 3.2% and drops weekly.
Another Doug
AG
Picadillo said:

Daily dose of horse*****

40 days old
omits the ****ty HCQ countries
Uses countries with suspect data
Uses countries with borderline 3-world health care systems
Uses countries that went anti-HCQ after 90% of their deaths
Uses a meaningless stat that is more dependent on number of tests a country did and at what point of the curve they are currently on.

Also, aren't the shills going to be mad at you for talking about HCQ by itself, I thought it had to be the "cocktail" to be effective.
Picadillo
94chem
Beware of Doug said:

Picadillo said:

Daily dose of horse*****

40 days old
Uses a meaningless stat that is more dependent on number of tests a country did and at what point of the curve they are currently on.

Also, aren't the shills going to be mad at you for talking about HCQ by itself, I thought it had to be the "cocktail" to be effective.

Yes, the science is "settled," but I can just about guaran-damn-tee you that if your loved one is in the hospital, you'll be asking for it.

I am a PhD chemist. Just one minor stroke of fate and I'd be making molecules for a pharmaceutical company and not a petrochemical company. I'd like to believe that the scientists working in pharma are trying their best, and I think they are. But stuff gets "lost" when it goes up the chain. Messages that don't make money don't get passed along. Very few people on the technical ladder ever get the ear of the CEO.

I had the misfortune of spending a lot of time at Texas Children's and MD Anderson the past few years. Amazing doctors. Amazing scientists. Oncologists, surgeons...you name it. I sincerely believe that they want the best for their patients, but when I walk outside and see the towering edifices on all sides, I realize that they NEED their patients. Just like Kyle Field needs fans and the West Campus needs students, the capital invested requires a constant stream of the sick. As much as I believe in the good intentions of caregivers, there is a conflict of interest. Why use a 50 year old drug? Why stop eating food filled with sugar and preservatives? The list goes on.

So, not being a frontline caregiver, and not being a pharma exec or a politician or a reviewer of the HCQ, literature, it's frustrating to hear people repeatedly, on both "sides," tell me they have the answers.

But I will say this. If doctors who post on this forum say it works, I'm gonna go with them when it hits the fan.
Another Doug
AG
Quote:

I can just about guaran-damn-tee you that if your loved one is in the hospital, you'll be asking for it.
Exactly. I don't disagree with this at all. I just wont be expecting it work, but I will suggest them to try every trick in the book.

That doesn't excuse fake science, and "we have a cure" claims that only persist to distract from a failed pandemic response.
Infection_Ag11
AG
94chem said:

Beware of Doug said:

Picadillo said:

Daily dose of horse*****

40 days old

Yes, the science is "settled," but I can just about guaran-damn-tee you that if your loved one is in the hospital, you'll be asking for it.

I am a PhD chemist. Just one minor stroke of fate and I'd be making molecules for a pharmaceutical company and not a petrochemical company. I'd like to believe that the scientists working in pharma are trying their best, and I think they are. But stuff gets "lost" when it goes up the chain. Messages that don't make money don't get passed along. Very few people on the technical ladder ever get the ear of the CEO.

I had the misfortune of spending a lot of time at Texas Children's and MD Anderson the past few years. Amazing doctors. Amazing scientists. Oncologists, surgeons...you name it. I sincerely believe that they want the best for their patients, but when I walk outside and see the towering edifices on all sides, I realize that they NEED their patients. Just like Kyle Field needs fans and the West Campus needs students, the capital invested requires a constant stream of the sick. As much as I believe in the good intentions of caregivers, there is a conflict of interest. Why use a 50 year old drug? Why stop eating food filled with sugar and preservatives? The list goes on.

So, not being a frontline caregiver, and not being a pharma exec or a politician or a reviewer of the HCQ, literature, it's frustrating to hear people repeatedly, on both "sides," tell me they have the answers.

But I will say this. If doctors who post on this forum say it works, I'm gonna go with them when it hits the fan.

I've got an aunt and a grandparent with it and I have no desire for either of them to get HCQ, nor am I giving it to my patients. What I am giving many of them (dexamethasone, also a cheap drug) seems to be reasonably effective and has far more evidentiary support than HCQ.
EyeBalz
AG
John J 01 said:

Has anyone but me noticed that those who are fighting the hardest to get access to HCQ for patients have the absolute least to gain personally from their efforts....

yet those who are fighting the hardest to discredit it have the most to gain financially and politically from its banishment????

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
EyeBalz said:

John J 01 said:

Has anyone but me noticed that those who are fighting the hardest to get access to HCQ for patients have the absolute least to gain personally from their efforts....

yet those who are fighting the hardest to discredit it have the most to gain financially and politically from its banishment????

So what you're saying is that people in positions of power, who have the expertise to comment, and have a direct responsibility for public health are recommending against it, but random Joe Schmoe MD are recommending for it?...You don't say. We also have doctors fighting against vaccines who have nothing to gain, I guess that makes their comments more legitimate.
EyeBalz
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

EyeBalz said:

John J 01 said:

So what you're saying is that people in positions of power, who have the expertise to comment, and have a direct responsibility for public health are recommending against it, but random Joe Schmoe MD are recommending for it?...You don't say. We also have doctors fighting against vaccines who have nothing to gain, I guess that makes their comments more legitimate.
I sense a lack of grey hair on your head doctor.
Another Doug
AG
EyeBalz said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

EyeBalz said:

John J 01 said:

Doctor Fight!
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Let's stick to the actual debate rather than ad hominems about age which have nothing to do with the available literature and current expert consensus on HCQ.
DadHammer
AG
Most experts say it helps.

The link is posted in this thread. More studies support its use than don't.
EyeBalz
AG
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Let's stick to the actual debate rather than ad hominems about age which have nothing to do with the available literature and current expert consensus on HCQ.
There is no literature on it in the US, nobody has done a proper study on it.

I want to see a randomized controlled study of HCQ with Zinc and Azithromycin given soon after significant symptoms emerge. The NIH has conveniently neglected to do this. Instead they somehow decided to study it's use in critical hospitalized patients who are way past the point where proponents claim the cocktail works. They then state it has no benefit.

The grey hair on my head tells me something doesn't add up. The grey hair on my head tells me people like Fauci are not always who they appear to be.

The grey hair on my head tells me only an egomaniac consumed with his newfound celebrity would accept an invitation to throw out the first pitch of a MLB game when he must know he's incapable of successfully tossing a tennis ball 50 feet to his eager Labrador Retriever. And, then be oblivious to what a fool he just made of himself.

There is way too much at stake for the backers of a vaccine to let some ancient malarial mineral tonic save the day.

Another Doug
AG
EyeBalz said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I want to see a randomized controlled study of HCQ with Zinc and Azithromycin given soon after significant symptoms emerge. The NIH has conveniently neglected to do this. Instead they somehow decided to study it's use in critical hospitalized patients who are way past the point where proponents claim the cocktail works. They then state it has no benefit.

The grey hair on my head tells me something doesn't add up. The grey hair on my head tells me people like Fauci are not always who they appear to be.

The grey hair on my head tells me only an egomaniac consumed with his newfound celebrity would accept an invitation to throw out the first pitch of a MLB game when he must know he's incapable of successfully tossing a tennis ball 50 feet to his eager Labrador Retriever. And, then be oblivious to what a fool he just made of himself.

There is way too much at stake for the backers of a vaccine to let some ancient malarial mineral tonic save the day.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Zobel
AG
If it is a potent inhibitor of viral replication why does it matter whether you start it late or early? It either works or it doesn't.
Picadillo
Randomized, controlled double blind studies. Taking a group of patients sick with a potentially deadly virus and giving half of them a placebo.

Geesh maybe my mom will be one of the lucky ones.

Do medical schools still teach medical ethics? Only a Fauci type would do this.
bigtruckguy3500
Picadillo said:

Randomized, controlled double blind studies. Taking a group of patients sick with a potentially deadly virus and giving half of them a placebo.

Geesh maybe my mom will be one of the lucky ones.

Do medical schools still teach medical ethics? Only a Fauci type would do this.
This is incorrect. They are given the standard of care.

During the informed consent, individuals are told that they have the option of getting involved in the study where they will either recieve the standard of care, or potentially receive something else that may be more beneficial than the standard of care. The alternative is not being enrolled in the study and for sure getting the standard of care.

In a double blind placebo controlled trial you can't just give standard of care, however, as people will know that they are getting one less IV bag than everyone else, or one less pill. So you give the placebo arm an extra bag of saline labelled "medicine."

Sometimes the experimental drugs do more harm than good.

I'm actually curious as to whether or not medical schools use to teach how to critically appraise evidence back in the day as much as they do now. After the past 6 months I can definitely understand the emphasis on biostats and evidence analysis in the medical student curriculum.
bigtruckguy3500
Zobel said:

If it is a potent inhibitor of viral replication why does it matter whether you start it late or early? It either works or it doesn't.
I'd imagine it's similar to TamiFlu. TamiFlu can, on average, decrease the length of the flu by about a half day if given within the first 48 hours of illness.

I'm not entirely sure why/the mechanism behind this.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
EyeBalz said:

Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

EyeBalz said:

John J 01 said:

Nailed it.
Infection_Ag11
AG
DadHammer said:

Most experts say it helps

This is false by any reasonable definition of "most"
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
One definition being a Facebook poll.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Quote:

This is incorrect

Quote:

I want to see a randomized controlled study of HCQ with Zinc and Azithromycin given soon after significant symptoms emerge.

I'd like to see a randomized controlled trial of essential oils in combination with colonic cleanses vs placebo for treatment of celiac disease. Millions of people, including some medical doctors, endorse these treatments after all.

I say this as politely as possible, but you really should know better than this. Yours is an incredibly absurd request, that simply because a proposed treatment with a poor mechanistic basis is endorsed by a given number of people it MUST be falsified before you'll believe it doesn't work. That thinking is the antithesis of medication and science as a whole.

Moreover, such a study would take YEARS worth of data and ultimately large meta-analysis to reveal any benefit even if it were feasible that such a benefit exists. This is always the case with assessing the efficacy of treatments for low mortality illnesses on an outpatient basis.

Quote:

Vaccines are generally not big money makers for the pharmaceutical industry, accounting for less than 3% of worldwide revenues annually.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.