***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

188,273 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Here ya go. How'd I eff it up?
Sher Thing
AG
I think Risacher will be the target at 4. Wemby has spoke very highly of him in the past. Will he be there though is the question? Wouldn't surprise me to see him and his agent do what they can do to make sure he drops to 4.

8 is much harder to predict.
Sher Thing
AG
I think there's a possibility that Clingan could go 3 to Houston.
Ag Natural
AG
Sher Thing said:

AA said:

If the Spurs took Dilly and Knecht and let Castle walk, I'd bet Wemby doesn't re-sign with the Spurs. What a horrible defensive tandem for a team who desperately needs it.
A little dramatic. Wemby probably doesnt even know who Castle is lmao

I love Castle. But Dilly and Knect are both really interesting. Both are explosive athletes who can score. I bet they are capable of playing decent defense. Calipari and Barnes haven't exactly been defense first coaches throughout their careers.

That being said, Castle has a chance to be a truly elite perimeter defender.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think so, too. But Sengun doesn't have a great outside shot, so there would be a lot of spacing issues, especially when the outside shooters being Dillon Brooks, Jalen Green, FVV, and Amen Thompson.
Sher Thing
AG

One of the most interesting names. Really curious to see how his workouts go.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

I think so, too. But Sengun doesn't have a great outside shot, so there would be a lot of spacing issues, especially when the outside shooters being Dillon Brooks, Jalen Green, FVV, and Amen Thompson.

Right now I like Castle more. He's the safer pick. But if Dillingham hits, he and Victor could be nasty. You could tell that Castle had AT LEAST 3-4 inches on Reed and Rob in that interview. Maybe more.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah I like Dilly and Reed but they just look very small. I'll be looking out for their measurements this week.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sher Thing said:

Geeez. It looks like he got bouncy in the last month.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

Right now I like Castle more. He's the safer pick. But if Dillingham hits, he and Victor could be nasty. You could tell that Castle had AT LEAST 3-4 inches on Reed and Rob in that interview. Maybe more.
Yeah, probably more.

We know that last summer Dilly was 6'0.75 with 6'5 wingspan. I don't think Sheppard is going to be more than 6'1.5 barefoot.

I just don't ever see a short black hole on defense ever being more than 6th man. I don't think he has the skills that Trae has, and without those high level skills, he is shorter Malik Monk or Collin Sexton. There are just tons of 6'2 or shorter guys that create shots and don't play defense. Portland has like 8 of them.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Sher Thing said:

Geeez. It looks like he got bouncy in the last month.
Definitely looks more bouncy and handles look pretty nice. Still didn't look super quick, though. I don't think I buy him being a good defensive player.
West Texan
AG
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Updated post lottery. Has us taking Dillingham at 4 and Cody Williams at 8.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

I'd be a little disappointed if that was it. Both players probably need 2-3 years in Austin.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Send Malaki and Blake with them and play for a G league title to appease the Austin market.
Guitarsoup
AG
C: Cissoko
PF: Williams
SF: Wesley
SG: Branham
PG: Dilly

Let's ****ing go.

And Let's play Capture The Flagg while we are at it.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Now you're getting it.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

I'd be a little disappointed if that was it. Both players probably need 2-3 years in Austin.

I don't hate Williams at 8. I just really don't love Dillingham at 4.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Really excited to see how it all shakes out the next month between the combine and workouts. It's going to be refreshing to see players actually working out for teams as nothing is really a given right now. Except dillingham. I can see Klutch holding him out of workouts with certain teams.
FTAG 2000
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Castle at four with Williams at eight and then have Pop take a pay cut to bring Chip back.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Yeah, I can get on board with Williams as a long-term option, but also don't think I see him as the pick over Castle.
Ag Natural
AG
I wouldn't hate Dilly. The Spurs haven't had a creator like that since Parker. And it's very easy to forget how important he was to this team. With his quicks if he has the character he can be an effective on ball defender.

Recent draft history would suggest they'll go for longer defensive players. That was the pre draft book on Vassell, Primo, Sochan and obviously Wemby.
Guitarsoup
AG
Graham, Branham & #4 for Deni Advija

https://craftednba.com/players/deni-avdija

Just finished his year 22 season with 15/7/4 on 51/37/74 shooting and plus defense.

Gives Washington the option to do something like Clingan+Topic to go with Bilal, Kuz, and Poole.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I don't even think I'd do that deal if it was our 8th pick. I'd rather see if we could develop these guys or package them for a better player than Deni. He's fine but not worth it imo.
LawHall88
AG
The Athletic mock has us taking Risacher and Sheppard. I'd take that.
Guitarsoup
AG
The other thing is his extension starts next year and is just 4/55 and it's declining. Starts at 15m/11% next year, but drops to just 6% of the cap in year 4.

That's great for our flexibility with a known commodity in two way player that can create, shoots, and defend.

I'm just still not real high on anyone in the draft
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Just finished his year 22 season with 15/7/4 on 51/37/74 shooting and plus defense.

Gives Washington the option to do something like Clingan+Topic to go with Bilal, Kuz, and Poole.

Depends on if you believe that Deni's uptick in 3 point shooting this season is for real or an aberration. He'd been low 30s or under in his previous 3 seasons before jumping to a respectable 37 this season, but his free throw percentage has basically stayed the same every year so it doesn't seem like there was a major retool to his form.

If he can continue to shoot like that from the outside, I'd absolutely do that trade. There's no one in this draft that gets me excited enough that I'd be tied to that 4th pick and we still have a top 8 pick, we'd add a long defensive wing that also has good passing ability to keep the ball moving on offense.
Guitarsoup
AG
Athletic #4

Guitarsoup
AG

superunknown
AG
Quote:

He showed everything he had, and still no love from you.

I don't know whether to clap and salute or boo.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Depends on if you believe that Deni's uptick in 3 point shooting this season is for real or an aberration. He'd been low 30s or under in his previous 3 seasons before jumping to a respectable 37 this season, but his free throw percentage has basically stayed the same every year so it doesn't seem like there was a major retool to his form.

If he can continue to shoot like that from the outside, I'd absolutely do that trade. There's no one in this draft that gets me excited enough that I'd be tied to that 4th pick and we still have a top 8 pick, we'd add a long defensive wing that also has good passing ability to keep the ball moving on offense.
I think I buy it. It wasn't an improvement everywhere - it was that he was hitting corner threes this year at 48% and everything else was about 30-34% like previous years.

He was 41% on catch and shoot and 34% on pull ups.

I think it is possible that he increases efficiency even more if he is on a team that isn't complete dog*****
Sher Thing
AG
Sheppard looked all of 6'0 today standing next to Castle and Dillingham.
Guitarsoup
AG

Trae Young using a pic of him in a Spurs jersey to say Happy Mother's Day immediately after the draft lottery?
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Trae Young using a pic of him in a Spurs jersey to say Happy Mother's Day immediately after the draft lottery?
What, honestly, do the Spurs give up for Young?
Ag Natural
AG
LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Nothing. He sux.
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I honestly don't think that's an option any more in the eyes of the hawks now that they can get Sarr. For them, it's a matter of trading murray and seeing what salary they can attach to him.

The only other thing they might do is offer the #1 for an all star but I don't see that happening.

Edit: I think the spurs lost a lot of leverage to make an SA/ATL deal, whatever that may have looked like. I think it will be a standoff. Atlanta will be confident they can make a contender. We will let them try.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.