Houston Press article about fight involving A&M students [Ed. by Staff]

19,031 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by NeuroticAg
toucan82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm man enough to admit my mistakes on the intertron
Aggies Revenge
AG
If you want to see fail, go see my Peter Rabbit thread...
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
Can someone explain to me the influence that "the Corps" has over the justice system in BC? I want details...names, facts, etc.

think outside of the box. lots of old ags that were in the corps are now in positions with a lot of power. State judges and district attorneys in Texas are all elected.
TexAggie1987
Everyone knows the Corps runs College Station/Bryan. In fact, that's one of the first things that is taught during FOW.
aglaohfour
AG
No, TexAggie! The first thing taught during FOW is that Cadets are superior human beings and Aggies and non-regs are scum and should be beaten to a pulp at any opportunity. Keep up!
reb,
AG
so has this thread disproven that 2 corp dudes nearly beat someone to death yet?
SilverAg08
AG
I think I went to sunday school with Eddie Helle... if it's the same guy our church even had an easter egg hunt at his family's house... comes from a really good family shame he had to go and do something stupid like this...
SilverAg08
AG
ddp

[This message has been edited by SilverAg08 (edited 1/24/2008 12:38a).]
aglaohfour
AG
Nope. The reason I keep checking back is that I'm sincerely hoping some one claiming to be "close to the situation" or with "firsthand knowledge" will start posting. That would possibly make for an entertaining meltdown and get the thread deleted and I don't want to miss it.
redcrayon
AG
quote:
think outside of the box. lots of old ags that were in the corps are now in positions with a lot of power. State judges and district attorneys in Texas are all elected.

And that is why I put "the Corps" in quotes. I simply asked for specific instances. Do you have any? I am not being confrontational, BTW. I really want to know specifics.

spaceaggie1975
AG
What one does on the outside of work can always reflect a group or organization that they are involved. Off duty police, deputies, government employees, etc. Sometimes it is even done with inanimate objects such as SUV's. How often do you hear on the news that the "SUV was in an accident" instead of "the vehicle was involved in an accident?"
CATAGBQ04
AG
Debbie I was in the band with you...derrr!
Mary Magdalene
lol catbq
BrazosDog02
AG
DAMMIT...I TOLD YOU PEOPLE TO WAIT UNTIL 11am....now i have to read 7 pages. This is most unproductive.

SolidT05
AG
quote:
I dont remember Van Alstyne or Col. Mallahan sticking up for any of my buddies while I was in school. But, I do remember them kicking a bunch of my friends out.

That's my experience as well. The UNiversity and Corps administration were ALWAYS happy to punish people that even might have broken university rules. They never let anyone off easy.
YellAg2004
AG
quote:
That's my experience as well. The UNiversity and Corps administration were ALWAYS happy to punish people that even might have broken university rules. They never let anyone off easy.

I think this is EXACTLY why this is raising the eyebrows of so many people. Whether or not the Corps (or any other organization) should be held to a higher standard simply because of their involvement is a completely separate discussion.

That being said, we all know the environment of B/CS. The police aren't known for being soft on students. The court system isn't known for being soft on students. The university isn't known for going soft on students who break the rules. The Corps leadership isn't known for going soft on cadets that break the rules. HOWEVER, knowing all of that, these two that have admitted to this beating are getting off scot-free. No matter how ardent a Corps supporter you are, how can that not at least make you do a double take?

Suggesting that it is completely out of the realm of possibility that one (or a few) big money Ags leaned heavily on the right people and got everything swept under the rug is purely ignorant IMO. As much as we would like to think that there isn't corruption in this world, the simple truth is that it does exist and B/CS and Texas A&M are in no way immune to it. Money and power make people do strange things that would cause most people to say "WTF!?".

Hell, if the Corps aspect is the thing that eats you up the most, throw that part out. Maybe it was a non-reg former student that applied the pressure. Maybe just a family friend with enough influence to make things happen.

The main point of the whole damn thing is that this guy got beat beyond what was necessary (can't believe I'm calling a fight necessary) and the guys that did it are walking free. If you want to fight, so be it, go show your mouth-breathing toughness and fight, but when you cause injuries that will affect a young man the rest of his life, you should suffer the consequences.

[This message has been edited by YellAg2004 (edited 1/24/2008 10:07a).]
TexasRebel
AG
and what about the other side of the story?

maybe the brother threw the first punch, but what if he as protecting the sister...or the friend that nobody knows the wherabouts of...

maybe in a drunken stupor Zach was charging, the brother or a girl...maybe the girl said something about him making her uncomfortable at one time or another (could have been an unrelated event, maybe a holiday they were both home...) and the brother was just protecting his sister's peace of mind (since Zach was only a friend of non-existant roommates boyfriend...)

you don't know why this case was laughed off...

but I guaruntee, the fact that the only witness that wasn't under the influence of some intoxicating substance was biased is a major factor in this one...
BJC
AG
After reading this article about this incident, it makes my blood boil to the core (no pun intended). This crap is the reason why we get the reputation of "idiotic unspohisticated second-fiddles" as Aggies. As much as it pains me to say this, but these two are pieces of "Aggie trash" to do that to a fellow Aggie!!!

Shame on you Aggie Network & TAMU for not taking out the "Aggie trash". Hell, even Ron Shamburger (who murdered/kidnapped another Aggie) was treated with less dignity than these two pieces of trash (I am not condoning what he did either...he deserved his punishment, was ousted from the "Aggie Network", and went to the needle to receive his punishment unlike these two)!!!

This type of stuff makes me very ashamed of being a Texas A&M Aggie!!!

BJC
Class of '96

[This message has been edited by BJC (edited 1/24/2008 1:26p).]
mts6175
AG
quote:
This forum is not going to be used as a forum for Corps bashing, so keep that in mind as discussing this topic
Not to get off topic, but you don't seem to feel the need to do this when a topic about fraternities comes up.....

Just pointing it out.
cpscAG06
AG
I was the same was after reading. My girlfriend was neighbors with Zach and Grant, whom I know as well (great guys might I add). It makes me sick to read this. I find it very disgraceful to the Aggie Network and Community.

[This message has been edited by cpscAG06 (edited 1/24/2008 1:43p).]
TexAg2004
AG
quote:
As much as it pains me to say this, but these two are pieces of "Aggie trash" to do that to a fellow Aggie!!!

I'm pretty sure there have been bad fights in most elementary schools, Jr. Highs, High Schools and Universities across the country... it doesn't make it right, but it sure doesn't surprise me.
Train Wreck
quote:
Shame on you Aggie Network & TAMU for not taking out the "Aggie trash"

What did you want the Aggie Network to do? Form a lynch mob?

The entire article focuses on the perspective of the kid that got beat. You're hearing only one side of the story.

Based on the absolute facts, I think the two students that beat him should be punished, because they seriously hurt him. But there may have been more to the incident than what the article states.

Cadets typically get punished harshly by the courts. The Aggie network rarely steps in to save them from their own mistakes.

I think the allegations of corruption are just because the case didn't go how the family wanted.
NeuroticAg
AG
quote:
Not to get off topic, but you don't seem to feel the need to do this when a topic about fraternities comes up.....

Just pointing it out.

Numerous people have mentioned that and for some reason Staff has failed to answer. Odd, they don't have a problem answering why they banned rick-rolling, but when it comes to a real (as in e-real, anyway), they are mysteriously silent.
CW Griswold
quote:

Just pointing it out.

I was completely shocked that my thread pointing out that "New Army" is fair game for ridicule was removed.

Shocked I tell you.
TexAg2004
AG
"I think the allegations of corruption are just because the case didn't go how the family wanted."

I concur.
Guinea
That article is pretty slanted. They left a bunch of crap out it sounds like. I'm sure there is more to the story that they just didn't write about. Someone up there has an agenda against A&M it sounds like. The dude who got beat probably instigated as much as the corps guy. Just because he got beat, does not make his part in the fight go away. I hate that he got beat so badly, but I'm sure he had an equal part in starting that fight.
Train Wreck
quote:
Numerous people have mentioned that and for some reason Staff has failed to answer.

Staff deletes most of the threads about fraternities, especially when the thread is negative.

What are you complaining about? The frats are getting equal treatment.
NeuroticAg
AG
You tell which of these has more negative threads in it?

Frats
quote:
Thinking about pledging for a frat next fall... Bunbury 6 1/3/2008
My Brother is a typical frat daddy Italian Aggie 18 12/20/2007
Frat President turns down plea bargain SolidT05 8 12/17/2007
So do you have to drive a truck or tahoe to be in a frat Golabi 6 11/30/2007
i ran into some SEC frat boys at the bar last night SuperDave03 21 11/30/2007
I just realized DAMUDEBBIE and I were in the same frat UptownAg06 2 11/29/2007
Who let the frats in? DG, Im looking at you? Galaxy High 61 11/29/2007
TCU frat guys alicia2005 47 11/20/2007
A terrifying statistic sweeping frat houses across the nation..... jetch17 0 11/11/2007
Why do all Frat guys dress the same? Golabi 2 11/7/2007
Why I Joined A Frat ColoradoMooseHerd 37 10/31/2007
Why all the Frat love in the Batt? Brock Samson 1 10/30/2007
How many items on the "Frat Daddy Checklist" are in this picture? Tree Hugger 30 9/25/2007
Some frat daddies just wrecked their BMW on my street xjxcxrx 43 9/24/2007
Simple Frat Poll SquareOne07 109 9/20/2007
Simple frat polka? fahraint 4 9/19/2007
Frat Daddy tipped at Sonic after buying friends at Raising Canes SuperAg05 10 9/17/2007
Eh, got tired of reading the frat thread.... UncoverAg00 3 9/17/2007
I was in the Corps AND in a frat Bender 12 9/6/2007
I didnt join a frat nor was I in the Corps of Cadets Jarhead96 13 9/5/2007
Application to get into a frat? txagfred04 3 8/31/2007
I could see some frat-daddies trying this at Carneys.... SuperAg05 0 8/31/2007
Frat boy fashion AW 1880 12 8/15/2007
is this too frat house-ish.... ABatt2006 18 7/24/2007
What frat were you in???? UptownAg06 18 7/17/2007
Is it possible to join a frat... CopeIt 50 7/16/2007
Rachel Bilson likes frat guys....

Corps
quote:
Who has ever run from the Corps? Mrs. 96CH53 11 1/2/2008
Tell your UCS stories here. ChargerAg 469 12/27/2007
Aggie Corps Nutcracker Impatient Angler 14 12/26/2007
****Corps Outfit Roll Call**** aggiealphamale 212 12/20/2007
Corps boots 30 yard line 17 12/17/2007
Just got back from the National Marine Corps Museum!! 03ki11erAG 1 12/15/2007
***THE REAL CORPS RECALL*** cplstansfield 4 12/13/2007
If one HAD TO BE disbanded from a&m, would it be The Corps or The Greek System? The Shank Ag 30 12/13/2007
Shadow wishes the Marine Corps a happy birthday txdragonfly 1 11/11/2007
DOES ANYONE WANT TO GO TO THE MARINE CORPS BALL WITH MR 96? Mrs. 96CH53 37 11/10/2007
corps classifications? jgarrisi 2 10/29/2007
Do they still black out the halls in the corps dorms during halloween? Frac 5 10/24/2007
Navy / Marine Corps Birthday Ball (College Station) sacrificare 1 10/24/2007
Corps Members coltjimclemens 34 10/17/2007
Is the Corps not allowed to wear a normal military haircut?? Southlake 11 10/17/2007
You can take the man out of the Corps ... (Rick Perry) houston03 21 10/17/2007
Can non d-bag students join the corps? AW 1880 5 9/26/2007
So....um....corps = good, frats = bad Macksimus 8 9/18/2007
I envy the corps yuppie24 11 9/17/2007
Fish camp counselors vs the corps vs Walton residents AggieMavsfan 10 9/13/2007
ESPN.com even bags on the corps Macksimus 26 9/11/2007
Women in the Corps Golabi 13 9/6/2007
I was in the Corps AND in a frat Bender 12 9/6/2007
Hey, Corps-bashers combat wombatâ„¢ 7 9/5/2007
I didnt join a frat nor was I in the Corps of Cadets Jarhead96 13 9/5/2007
could a corps outfit beat up a fish camp? The Shank Ag 18 9/5/2007
Attention current members of the corps ryan2010 78 9/5/2007
An cool Corps squeezing pics from yesterday? Flash Gordon 0 9/2/2007
who cant tell which year a corps boy (or girl) is? CopeIt 13 8/31/2007
Somewhere out there, some new Corps fish have just experienced B-1 83 17 8/27/2007
the corps xjxcxrx 13 8/20/2007
Is the Corps a tough major at TAMU? houston03 1 8/7/2007
Does the Corps give $2500 rollover scholarships to Eagle Scouts?

[This message has been edited by NeuroticAg (edited 1/24/2008 2:06p).]
Red Skye
AG
It makes no ****ing difference who started the fight. If you hold someone down while your friend pounds their face in, that's aggravated assault. Period.
TexAggie1987
And all members were intoxicated when this incident took place. Sorry Red but what you just said would not hold up in a court of law under the circumstances.
CorpsDude86
Yes - I believe everything that the Village Voice says. They and the Washington Post rank highest in journalistic accuracy without bias.
Also, the fact that the victim's dad was in the RV's 'splains everything to me. Oh, that and global warming.
Somebody tell me what's up with the basketball team!!!!!!!!!!!!
NeuroticAg
AG
I miss Acie Law.
Vernada
AG
IBTD
cpscAG06
AG
^
|
|

intoxicated is a loose term. You can have two drinks and BY LAW be legally intoxicated (depending on body weight).
Red Skye
AG
You could certainly debate whether the events happened that way. And I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know where the law stands on this issue (I should have rephrased my last post). However, IMO, if the events happened the way they were described in the article, the two ******bags should be in prison.

[This message has been edited by Red Skye (edited 1/24/2008 2:54p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.