Houston Press article about fight involving A&M students [Ed. by Staff]

19,032 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by NeuroticAg
Comeby!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
and frac, she wants to know why you obviously can't afford to use more tp?

Thats because I use your pillow to clean up when we're done!

OldArmy1606
no one is defending these guys Cajun
Fenrir
quote:
I pray to God a bunch of you are never on a jury. You'll be ready to hang a jay walker after the prosecution gets through with its side of the case.

Comparable situations, definitely.
combat wombat™
AG
quote:
Still no support for calling me a corps hater?

I thought I was clear in my answer. No, I won't filter through years of TexAgs in order to argue with you over this.
NoACDamnit
quote:
No, I won't filter through years of TexAgs in order to argue with you over this.

Such a search would be fruitless since you're wrong.

----------------------------------------------------

the next attack will probably be in NY...maybe a nuck... -- overwater
combat wombat™
AG
Okay.
BrazosDog02
AG
^
|

You must be a married woman...ive seen this tactic before.
Jock 07
AG
quote:
Still no support for calling me a corps hater?

NOAC: anyone that has read these boards for any amount of time know that you are one of the first posters to jump in on a corps thread that doesn't involve you
hth

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 1/23/2008 5:13p).]
Fenrir
What about me? Do I have a history as a corps hater?
Diggity
AG
quote:
no one is defending these guys Cajun

hmmmmmmm........

quote:
FWIW, I got into a TON of fistfights while at A&M. Its just a rite of passage. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Just nut up and move on with it.
combat wombat™
AG
If you do, I don't recall it.
DrAcula
So could you please tell me the reason for deleting my post staff?

[For the same reason that you were previously warned: Questioning moderation. We aren't pro-Corps or anti-Corps, it's just that corps bashing is a topic that never leads to any worthwhile discussion, and always requires moderator attention. Rather than delete this post, I substituted what I hoped was a less inflammatory topic title, and left a reminder that corps bashing on this site ends up getting edited. It only took 2 replies for someone to make a post calling for the Corps to be abolished. We don't have time to clean up the same mess over and over -- Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 1/23/2008 5:21p).]
OldArmy1606
point out to me where there has been any defense for these two dewshbags...the only defense given on this thread is in the defense of the Corps against dewshbags like you
SeanDaAg2005
AG
quote:
FWIW, I got into a TON of fistfights while at A&M. Its just a rite of passage. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes you end up with 60,000$ in medical bills and permanently lose some of your vision. Just nut up and move on with it.

FIFY
DrAcula
Thank you for replying. I will repost what i previously stated keeping your edit in mind.

Absolutely pathetic of A&M and the legal system in BCS. Truly disgraceful.

I believe that most objective people can see that A&M did what they believed was necessary to protect their image. However at what cost? They have made it apparent that rather than address the issues that have plagued our great university for years they would rather turn a blind eye and hope it goes away. I hope that in the future better discretion is used by A&M and it's influential graduates that will allow them to be objective in all instances.

[This message has been edited by DrAcula (edited 1/23/2008 5:29p).]
Jack Klompus
AG
quote:
point out to me where there has been any defense for these two dewshbags

I dont think people are defending the actions of the two accused cadets; they are simply rationalizing their actions by saying that fighting is a "rite of passage" or "I get in fist fights all the time." Fighting should not be tolerated at an institution of higher learning. Moreover, the throwing it under the rug as the article suggests because of the students connection with the Corps of Cadets implies that being a member of an "elite" group has fringe benefits such as getting away with near murder. Such behavior should especially not be enforced or allowed at Texas A&M University.
CajunAg97
AG
Combat is married, to a former CT
combat wombat™
AG
Correct. However, I also defend greek orgs on a regular basis. Basically, I defend most organizations that are the targets of blind hate.
Red Skye
AG
quote:
I think Dad just needs to lay off. If he wouldve taught his son how to avoid a fight or even fight this would be a non issue. Either that or the kid needs to let go of Dad's hind tit.

FWIW, I got into a TON of fistfights while at A&M. Its just a rite of passage. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Just nut up and move on with it.

quote:
I admit that a 2 on 1 isnt fair.

I will say the guy had a lapse in judgement by mouthing off when he knew that he was outnumbered, especially when drunk. I know I've thought to myself it probably wouldnt be a good idea to mouth off when I'm solo and outnumbered and not in my house.

You've got to be ****ing kidding. So somehow it's the victim's fault for not avoiding the fight and not knowing how to fight? These two ****ers should not only get kicked out of school, but they should be in prison.

[This message has been edited by Red Skye (edited 1/23/2008 5:35p).]
Diggity
AG
quote:
Basically, I defend most organizations that are the targets of blind hate.

interesting choice of words considering these fine, upstanding individuals nearly caved in the guys eye socket.
combat wombat™
AG
Bashing the entire organization for the actions of a few = blind hate.
Stoney
S
I wonder what the incidence of personal violence is amongst the non-reg community is?
The Greek community?

I wonder. That article had a pretty strong bias.
IMO.
NoACDamnit
quote:
NOAC: anyone that has read these boards for any amount of time know that you are one of the first posters to jump in on a corps thread that doesn't involve you

So? How does that mean I hate the corps?

It's shocking how often people on here have psychic powers.

Being critical of a situation does not mean you hate it.

----------------------------------------------------

the next attack will probably be in NY...maybe a nuck... -- overwater
OldArmy1606
shove it and your anti-corps sentiment Diggity. no on here has defended the two corps guys in question. former CTs like me and combat are defending the Corps against people like you make broad sweeping generalizations of the people in the Corps. We have not condoned what they did and they should have been punished severely, but something happened and they got away with a slap on the wrist.
Fenrir
NoAC, I'm pretty sure if you don't agree with somebody then you are automatically the extreme opposite of what they believe.
nai06
AG
quote:
According to Mallahan, the Corps loses about 100 cadets each year for academic reasons, but he says discipline is rarely a ­problem.

"Our standards mirror the university. Same rules apply, same sanctions apply," Mallahan says. "If you fight, you'll be in trouble."

Never have I heard such BS in my entire life.

I was in the corps, I loved it for the most part. But discipline was never a strong point for them. Mallahan In my opinion is full of crap. I watched as I was given rams and weekends for not being able to run fast(yes I am a portly fellow) or less than perfect inspections.

I also watched as someone who used to be my "buddy" break damn near every rule in the standard. Among other things, as a senior he he choked with his bare hands, one of his buddies, a junior, a sophmore, and a fish in our outfit. As a junior he actually slept with one of our female fish. This of course occured after she went to him in confidence because she had been raped by one of her fish buddies.

And what actually happened to him? Mallahan turned a blind eye to him as soon as he lawyered up. Pretty much gave him free reign to do whatever he wanted.

So while I don't think the corps is at fault for the actual fight, they certainly have the right to discipline the guys who were in the fight. Because they joined the corps, the agreed to take on the visibility of the corps. They were not in uniform, but like it or not, they were representing the corps.

Will the Corps actually do a decent job of discipline? I highly doubt it.

[This message has been edited by nai06 (edited 1/23/2008 5:36p).]
combat wombat™
AG
OldArmy, I'm not a former CT. However, I am married to one.
Diggity
AG
quote:
point out to me where there has been any defense for these two dewshbags...the only defense given on this thread is in the defense of the Corps against dewshbags like you

quote:
shove it and your anti-corps sentiment Diggity. no on here has defended the two corps guys in question. former CTs like me and combat are defending the Corps against people like you make broad sweeping generalizations of the people in the Corps. We have not condoned what they did and they should have been punished severely, but something happened and they got away with a slap on the wrist.

i think the corps will be just fine with rational, well-spoken people like yourself defending the organization.
OldArmy1606
my mistake..i was under the impression you were. -Combat

Diggity--I didn't say anything to the contrary, but thanks for the compliment. You know where you can stick it...along with your anti-Corps sentiment.

[This message has been edited by OldArmy1606 (edited 1/23/2008 5:41p).]
Mary Magdalene
TexasRebel
AG
Texager arrested for explicit underage images on his photobucket account...

Texags didn't ban the user, even though his illegal images were never posted on texags itself...

those darn Texagers are all a bunch of pedo pervs...

Texags should have sent the guy a virus to eat his hard drive...

hth
Red Skye
AG
quote:
We have not condoned what they did and they should have been punished severely, but something happened and they got away with a slap on the wrist.

Frac practically did by blaming the victim. And this "something" is what everyone is trying to figure out. It may not be the conspiracy the article presents, but "something" is not quite right here.

[This message has been edited by Red Skye (edited 1/23/2008 5:42p).]
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
people from any organization will defend their own.

these two corps guys got no punishment for literally nearly killing a fellow Aggie... oh wait, nevermind, they had lots of emotional distress im sure.

this is exactly what prison is for.

what these two did is straight up attempted murder, and would have been tried as so in many other instances
texaggie2009
quote:
I wonder what the incidence of personal violence is amongst the non-reg community is?
The Greek community?

I don't think you understood the point. The article is not about the frequency of violence in the corps. The article is about two members of the corps who committed an extremely violent assault and received no punishment.

Again to clarify. The outrage is not over the corps being a violent organization. The outrage is about their being no punishment for the actions of these two guys because they were in the corps.
Red Skye
AG
quote:
Again to clarify. The outrage is not over the corps being a violent organization. The outrage is about their being no punishment for the actions of these two guys because they were in the corps.

Exactly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.