***** The Lord of the Rings: Official Thread *****

193,185 Views | 1920 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by DallasTeleAg
Solo Tetherball Champ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ranger #007 said:

redline248 said:

If anything, Jackson should be criticized for not making Gandalf's sword glow around Orcs because he f-cking forgot it was supposed to!

I just figured it was on purpose so that Sting was the only one that did it.
I'm pretty sure the official explanation is when they tried rendering the CGI it looked like Gandalf had a lightsaber.

The interesting thing is I believe the books just state the edges of the sword glowed when orcs where near, not the entire blade.
PDWT_12
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ said:

What I have said is that Jackson made some poor and even stupid narrative choices in the adaption and my attitude towards these ranges from eh to irritation, but never reaches nerdrage. I also think he tends to favor set pieces and the rule of cool over actual intimacy moments.
This a pretty fair take in my opinion, coming from somebody that falls more towards the "loving the movies" side of things but also gets annoyed with a lot of the problems in them every time I read the books.

I do think The Hobbit trilogy proves that Jackson is not infallible as a director (yes, I know there were all kinds of production issues in the background on it, but still) and I do think it's fair to wonder what somebody could do with the trilogy now, and if it might even be better than the current adaptations (Which again, I'm a big fan of).

I know someone above mentioned Tolkien would appreciate a version of his story that was told a little differently, but I feel pretty confident in saying he would not. And that's not because the movies are bad, that's just how he was.

As a quick aside, did anyone play the Fellowship of the Ring video game? On the original Xbox? I've been thinking about it a lot lately since I started listening to the audiobook. The other two games in the series were more fighting style games, with co-op modes that focused on Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli and followed the movies pretty closely. But the Fellowship was made by a different studio I think, and so it instead (mostly) followed the book and had no relation to the movie. It included things like Bombadil, Barrow Wights, and Glorfindel (This is actually a change that Jackson made that I appreciate, putting Arwen in this spot instead), but I remember a weird scene where Aragorn and Gollum meet up on the river of Anduin after the hobbits are taken.

Anybody else have memories of it?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I played The Two Towers on Gamecube. Great, fun button-masher.

I remember getting stuck on Helm's Deep for days. Can't remember if I ever beat that level.
powerbelly
AG
I had the port of the game on Game Boy Advance. I remember it being fun.

The Shadow of Mordor games have been fun recently.

Solo Tetherball Champ
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I played The Two Towers on Gamecube. Great, fun button-masher.

I remember getting stuck on Helm's Deep for days. Can't remember if I ever beat that level.
It was a hack and slash, but it was entertaining enough for an 8th grader.
Chase McGuire
I played a little of the first two games, but I poured hours upon hours into Return of the King on PS2 with a couple of my friends. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor/War were basically LotR fan-fiction, but they were a great time, too. Got the Platinum trophy for each of them.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Chase McGuire said:

I played a little of the first two games, but I poured hours upon hours into Return of the King on PS2 with a couple of my friends. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor/War were basically LotR fan-fiction, but they were a great time, too. Got the Platinum trophy for each of them.
I expect accuracy to the world and rules to take a backseat to gameplay, but man, this game really stretched it. It's so far out there that if you changed character and location names you've got a brand new IP... but then you won't have a built in LOTR audience.
PDWT_12
AG
My roommates and I killed a lot of time on Battle for Middle-Earth, or whatever the LotR Battlefront style game was.

I also played LotR: The Third Age a ton back in the day. It played it pretty fast and loose with the lore like Shadow of Mordor does (from what I understand anyway, I've never played), but basically you had your own "Fellowship" that was working with Gandalf, following in the footsteps of the actual nine. The combat was turn based, which was very different and cool, and you upgraded your equipment and what not as the game went by. There was also an evil mode or whatever at the end where you could play as all the bad guys you had defeated earlier on. Fun game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nothing wrong with a good button-masher. I was in 9th grade at the time and it was good mindless entertainment.
Chase McGuire
It was pretty ridiculous. I loved the series for its LotR dressing, but the stories of those games were nonsense.
Chase McGuire
I think you're thinking of Conquest as the Battlefront-esque game. Battle for Middle-earth was a top-down RTS like Age of Empires.

The Third Age is one of the best games on PS2. Got to play through all the great battles from the movies. Such a strange game because of some sort of rights dispute, I think. Like they only had the rights to adapt from the movies but couldn't use the actual fellowship so they made their own or something. It was weird, but I probably beat it 5 or 6 times.
powerbelly
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I think you're thinking of Conquest as the Battlefront-esque game. Battle for Middle-earth was a top-down RTS like Age of Empires.

The Third Age is one of the best games on PS2. Got to play through all the great battles from the movies. Such a strange game because of some sort of rights dispute, I think. Like they only had the rights to adapt from the movies but couldn't use the actual fellowship so they made their own or something. It was weird, but I probably beat it 5 or 6 times.
I know the LOTR lego games were taken off of steam due to a rights dispute.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I just remembered I had the LOTR Lego game on Wii U and never finished it. I should get back to that.
Solo Tetherball Champ

By the way, in the spirit of reconciliation for my reasonable critiques of otherwise very good movies slander of teh greatest trilogy ever, here is a gift:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
PDWT_12
AG
Chase McGuire said:

That's right. Thanks for the correction.

The weird thing is the Third Age was made by EA, which is who made the other movie based games, so rights shouldn't have been an issue, although who knows with the Tolkien Estate. Either way it was something different and fun at the time. I wish I had the time and equipment to go back and play some of that stuff.
Solo Tetherball Champ

What I really want to see is someone make this gif:

*Elrond giving Anduril to Aragorn,

Elrond: "The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger. Become who you were born to be"

*Aragorn holds up the sword.

Cut to the peasant from Monty Python "Strange elves distruting swords is no basis for a system of government"

*Confused & irritated looks for from Aragorn and Elrond

Peasant: "If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some pointy-eared tossed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!"

*pained expressions from Aragorn and Elrond
Solo Tetherball Champ
Not quite it, but close enough:

DVC2010
AG
Enough about video games. Where are the real nerds?

edit: TexAgs apparently doesn't like Boardgamegeek links. Had to steal the photo and re-upload from here.

I'm undefeated, mostly because I can never convince anyone to play a second game.
PDWT_12
AG
Have never played it or any of the other Middle Earth table top games, but it does sound like fun.

I did own both LotR Monopoly and Risk, the filthy casuals of board games I suppose.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
DVC2010 said:

I'm undefeated, mostly because I can never convince anyone to play a second game.
I had the same problem with Star Wars Trivial pursuit. Once I won on my opening turn.
DVC2010
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

DVC2010 said:

I had the same problem with Star Wars Trivial pursuit. Once I won on my opening turn.
My best story is from last time I played. I was playing Free Peoples, and my sister was playing Shadow. She ambushed the Fellowship and to her utter delight, she killed my guide (Gandalf the Grey).

She was furious a couple of rounds later to see Gandalf the White hit the table, with new and improved abilities. I still don't know how she didn't see that coming.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Solo Tetherball Champ
MuckRaker96 said:

DVC2010 said:

I'm the same with LOTR trivia.

Let's face it: if you can recognize and remember the differences between Finwe, Feanor, Fingolfin, Finarfin, Finrod and any other Elf Noble who's name starts with an "F" then nothing a LOTR game can throw at you will bother you.

Solo Tetherball Champ
somefatkid
AG
DVC2010 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

DVC2010 said:

My best story is from last time I played. I was playing Free Peoples, and my sister was playing Shadow. She ambushed the Fellowship and to her utter delight, she killed my guide (Gandalf the Grey).

She was furious a couple of rounds later to see Gandalf the White hit the table, with new and improved abilities. I still don't know how she didn't see that coming.
I just started playing this with my daughter after she finally finished the books. Our first game I played free peoples and totally made her mad by leaving the fellowship in rivendell and going for military victory with the elves. Why didn't they think of this in the original story?
Solo Tetherball Champ
somefatkid said:

DVC2010 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

DVC2010 said:

I just started playing this with my daughter after she finally finished the books. Our first game I played free peoples and totally made her mad by leaving the fellowship in rivendell and going for military victory with the elves. Why didn't they think of this in the original story?
They did.

Sauron had such overwhelming military strength that he did not need the Ring to win. Where it not for the discovery of the Ring, Sauron would have probably waited until his already vast forces were insurmountable. At the time of the war of the Ring, Sauron had multiple armies attacking Gondor, Rohan, Lorien, Mirkwood, The lonely mountain, and more, and plenty in reserve.

The movies bypass this entirely but the only hope of a *military* victory for the free people required the usage of the One Ring. They knew it and then discarded that option. Sauron knew it as well, as all of Sauron's actions during the narrative were driven by a fear of his enemies using the Ring against him. Sauron couldn't fathom having the Ring and not using it against him. He never even considered someone would attempt to destroy it: He was well aware that Ring would corrupt the bearer and no Ringbearer could bring themself to destroy it.

Gandalf, Aragorn, etc deliberately played into that fear and blind spot in order to distract him from the real mission.

One of my favorite passages in the books is the massive Oh **** when Sauron realizes what they have done (also, the only time we see Sauron's perspective):

"And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgl, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom."
DVC2010
AG

somefatkid said:

DVC2010 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

DVC2010 said:

They did.

Sauron had such overwhelming military strength that he did not need the Ring to win. Where it not for the discovery of the Ring, Sauron would have probably waited until his already vast forces were insurmountable. At the time of the war of the Ring, Sauron had multiple armies attacking Gondor, Rohan, Lorien, Mirkwood, The lonely mountain, and more, and plenty in reserve.

The movies bypass this entirely but the only hope of a *military* victory for the free people required the usage of the One Ring. They knew it and then discarded that option. Sauron knew it as well, as all of Sauron's actions during the narrative were driven by a fear of his enemies using the Ring against him. Gandalf, Aragorn, etc deliberately played into that fear in order to distract him from the real mission.

Sauron couldn't fathom having the Ring and not using it against him. He never even considered someone would attempt to destroy it: He was well aware that Ring would corrupt the bearer and no Ringbearer could bring themself to destroy it.

One of my favorite passages in the books is the massive Oh **** when Sauron realizes would he has done (also, the only time we see Sauron's perspective):

"And far away, as Frodo put on the Ring and claimed it for his own, even in Sammath Naur the very heart of his realm, the Power in Barad-dr was shaken, and the Tower trembled from its foundations to its proud and bitter crown. The Dark Lord was suddenly aware of him, and his Eye piercing all shadows looked across the plain to the door that he had made; and the magnitude of his own folly was revealed to him in a blinding flash, and all the devices of his enemies were at last laid bare. Then his wrath blazed in consuming flame, but his fear rose like a vast black smoke to choke him. For he knew his deadly peril and the thread upon which his doom now hung.

From all his policies and webs of fear and treachery, from all his stratagems and wars his mind shook free; and throughout his realm a tremor ran, his slaves quailed, and his armies halted, and his captains suddenly steerless, bereft of will, wavered and despaired. For they were forgotten. The whole mind and purpose of the Power that wielded them was now bent with overwhelming force upon the Mountain. At his summons, wheeling with a rending cry, in a last desperate race there flew, faster than the winds, the Nazgl, the Ringwraiths, and with a storm of wings they hurtled southwards to Mount Doom."

The thing is, it's not really supposed to be a viable option in the board game either. The rule book says something to the effect of, "if the Free Peoples score this many victory points in battles, they have distracted Sauron enough that they will be able to destroy the ring, so they win the game." But the odds are stacked so hard against them.
Solo Tetherball Champ
DVC2010 said:

somefatkid said:

DVC2010 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

DVC2010 said:

They did.

The movies bypass this entirely but the only hope of a *military* victory for the free people required the usage of the One Ring. They knew it and then discarded that option. Sauron knew it as well, as all of Sauron's actions during the narrative were driven by a fear of his enemies using the Ring against him. Gandalf, Aragorn, etc deliberately played into that fear in order to distract him from the real mission.

Sauron couldn't fathom having the Ring and not using it against him. He never even considered someone would attempt to destroy it: He was well aware that Ring would corrupt the bearer and no Ringbearer could bring themself to destroy it.

One of my favorite passages in the books is the massive Oh **** when Sauron realizes would he has done (also, the only time we see Sauron's perspective):

The thing is, it's not really supposed to be a viable option in the board game either. The rule book says something to the effect of, "if the Free Peoples score this many victory points in battles, they have distracted Sauron enough that they will be able to destroy the ring, so they win the game." But the odds are stacked so hard against them.
So you broke the game? Lol
hunter2012
AG
DVC2010 said:

edit: TexAgs apparently doesn't like Boardgamegeek links. Had to steal the photo and re-upload from here.

Edit:I played Lord of the Rings Risk:
I played one where the last guy went on an all out attack spreading as far as possible(1 troop per border type spread), then I played the "Boromir tries to take the ring card" which I believe delays the movement of the ring(and thus the game) one turn which gave me a turn. Needless to say my poor overextended friend did not come close to winning that one and understandably rage quit (if memory serves correctly).

Also I liked where Shadow of War ended and include it in my head cannon now for the larger story.

If you want the best of grand strategy video games. There is a mod called "Third Age Total war" for the game Medieval 2 Total War(probably costs <$10). It's such a great mod that it's literally a new and different game. If anyone is unfamiliar with the Total War series it has "turn-based" grand strategy like the massive map of middle earth, from there when your armies attack each other or you besiege a city it zooms in and begins a "real time strategy" game where you control your individual army units(each unit is 100s of individuals) and fight it out with in-battle tactics. You can play as pretty much every major faction on the continent(high elves, wood elves, Isengard, Moria Orcs, Arnor, Gondor, Mordor, etc...). Also characters like the members of the fellowship or the ringwraiths are essentially super units with lots of survivability and hitpoints in said battles(think plot armor). Highly fun and super addictive for any Middle-Earth fan. Sadly no dragons(from what I remember) but the major landmarks are all accurate battlefield maps to recreate said battles.

I played one campaign as Mordor, I sent one army out to capture Osgiliath then straight for Minas Tirith. Needless to say that Gondor got super pissed and started throwing every army they had at trying to take the city back. Thankfully with the 7 freaking walls(plus Ringwraiths) even with minimal units I defended and whittled down every army that attacked. Meanwhile the in game mechanic revealed the One-Ring was up near the Gray Havens, so with Gondor distracted I sent a sole elite army with a fleet up and out the river around for a sneak attack to capture the ring. I then brought it back to the tower, revived Sauron(you heard that right), and proceeded to start steamrolling Middle-Earth until Gollum stole the ring from Sauron... Needless to say even Tolkien couldn't have written up the epicness of the story that unfolded. But digressing I would highly suggest the game if you ever wanted to order the charge of Rohan at pelennor fields(who doesn't want to "DEATH!") or out-Darklord Sauron by conquering middle-earth better than he ever could(see above).
powerbelly
AG
hunter2012 said:

DVC2010 said:

Edit:I played Lord of the Rings Risk:
I played one where the last guy went on an all out attack spreading as far as possible(1 troop per border type spread), then I played the "Boromir tries to take the ring card" which I believe delays the movement of the ring(and thus the game) one turn which gave me a turn. Needless to say my poor overextended friend did not come close to winning that one and understandably rage quit (if memory serves correctly).

Also I liked where Shadow of War ended and include it in my head cannon now for the larger story.

If you want the best of grand strategy video games. There is a mod called "Third Age Total war" for the game Medieval 2 Total War(probably costs <$10). It's such a great mod that it's literally a new and different game. If anyone is unfamiliar with the Total War series it has "turn-based" grand strategy like the massive map of middle earth, from there when your armies attack each other or you besiege a city it zooms in and begins a "real time strategy" game where you control your individual army units(each unit is 100s of individuals) and fight it out with in-battle tactics. You can play as pretty much every major faction on the continent(high elves, wood elves, Isengard, Moria Orcs, Arnor, Gondor, Mordor, etc...). Also characters like the members of the fellowship or the ringwraiths are essentially super units with lots of survivability and hitpoints in said battles(think plot armor). Highly fun and super addictive for any Middle-Earth fan. Sadly no dragons(from what I remember) but the major landmarks are all accurate battlefield maps to recreate said battles.

I played one campaign as Mordor, I sent one army out to capture Osgiliath then straight for Minas Tirith. Needless to say that Gondor got super pissed and started throwing every army they had at trying to take the city back. Thankfully with the 7 freaking walls(plus Ringwraiths) even with minimal units I defended and whittled down every army that attacked. Meanwhile the in game mechanic revealed the One-Ring was up near the Gray Havens, so with Gondor distracted I sent a sole elite army with a fleet up and out the river around for a sneak attack to capture the ring. I then brought it back to the tower, revived Sauron(you heard that right), and proceeded to start steamrolling Middle-Earth until Gollum stole the ring from Sauron... Needless to say even Tolkien couldn't have written up the epicness of the story that unfolded. But digressing I would highly suggest the game if you ever wanted to order the charge of Rohan at pelennor fields(who doesn't want to "DEATH!") or out-Darklord Sauron by conquering middle-earth better than he ever could(see above).
How did I not know this existed!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of failed LOTR adaptations....

This is an actual TV adaptation that aired in Finland in 1993.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Al Bula
AG
After reading some of LOTR, I spotted this game somewhere and got my folks to buy it. We never got it to work on our family computer but it did help me develop a love for fantasy maps as it contained a really nice middle earth map.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.