Pope Francis expected to ask Bishop Strickland to retire

33,837 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
Terminus Est
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PabloSerna said:

This just in.... Pope Francis expresses concerns about the German Synodal Way - saying it threatens unity.

ETA: I believe that is what Pope Francis is most concerned about, unity. One of the reasons he was very concerned about the Traditional Latin Mass is precisely because it can lead to a parish community in which some members think they are holier than others because of rituals and liturgical practice.
In my experience you find quite the contrary, they have full knowledge and understanding about how sinful they are. This is why they make such frequenty use of the sacrament of confession, donate more of their income to charity, and attend mass far more than the weekly obligation.
RAB91
I'm used to seeing his communications on the Tyler Diocese website. But assuming this is his site, here's his latest communication.

https://bishopstrickland.com/blog/post/letter-to-the-faithful-november-272023

Quote:

An Open Letter to the Faithful from Bishop Joseph E. Strickland:

As I am sure you have heard by now, I have been removed as Bishop of the Diocese of Tyler. I was asked to meet with the Apostolic Nuncio to the United States, and in that meeting I was read a list of the reasons I was being removed. I would make these reasons available to you if possible; however, I was not given a copy of this list at that time, and I have not been able as of yet to obtain a copy despite my requests.

In the reasons that were read to me, no mention was made of administrative problems or mismanagement of the diocese as the reasons for my removal. The reasons given seemed to be related, for the most part, to my speaking the Truth of our Catholic faith, and to my warnings against anything that threatened that Truth (including things that were being brought up at the Synod on Synodality). Also, mention was made of my not walking alongside my brother bishops as I defended the Church and her unchangeable teachings, and of my not implementing the motu propoio Traditionis custodes, which were I to have implemented, would have required me to leave part of my flock unfed and untended. As a shepherd and protector of my Diocese, I could not take actions which I knew with certainty would injure part of my flock and deprive them of the spiritual goods which Christ entrusted to His Church. I stand by my actions as they were necessary to protect my flock and to defend the Sacred Deposit of Faith.

This is the time for everything now covered to be uncovered, and everything now hidden to be made clear. In fact, it was in a time when things were being hidden regarding disgraced now-former Cardinal Theodore McCarrick and the Church sex abuse scandal that it seems I first entered the Vatican's radar. My main crime, then as now, seems to always have been about bringing to light that which others wanted to remain hidden. Sadly, it now seems that it is Truth Himself, Our Lord Jesus Christ, that many desire to be hidden.

Although I am now without a diocese, I am still a bishop of the Church and therefore a successor of the apostles, and I must continue to speak Truth even if it requires my very life. I want to say this to all of you today DO NOT ever, ever leave the Church! She is the Bride of Christ! She is now undergoing her Passion, and you must resolve to stand resolutely at the cross! It is important to attend Mass every Sunday and as often as possible, to spend time in adoration, to pray the Rosary daily, to go to confession regularly, and to call always upon the saints for assistance! I urge you to persevere that you might say in the end, "I have fought the good fight to the end; I have run the race to the finish; I have kept the faith."

May Almighty God bless you, and may our Holy and Blessed Mother intercede for you and point you always to her Divine Son Jesus as we enter this Advent season.

I remain your humble father and servant,

Bishop Joseph E. Strickland
jkag89
Pope punishes leading critic Cardinal Burke in second action against conservative American prelates
Quote:

VATICAN CITY (AP) Pope Francis has decided to punish one of his highest-ranking critics, Cardinal Raymond Burke, by revoking his right to a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary in the second such radical action against a conservative American prelate this month, according to two people briefed on the measures.

Francis told a meeting of the heads of Vatican offices last week that he was moving against Burke because he was a source of "disunity" in the church, said one of the participants at the Nov. 20 meeting. The participant spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal the contents of the encounter.

Francis said he was removing Burke's privileges of having a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary as a retired cardinal because he was using the privileges against the church, said another person who was subsequently briefed on the pope's measures. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to reveal the details.
Terminus Est
jkag89 said:

Pope punishes leading critic Cardinal Burke in second action against conservative American prelates
Quote:

VATICAN CITY (AP) Pope Francis has decided to punish one of his highest-ranking critics, Cardinal Raymond Burke, by revoking his right to a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary in the second such radical action against a conservative American prelate this month, according to two people briefed on the measures.

Francis told a meeting of the heads of Vatican offices last week that he was moving against Burke because he was a source of "disunity" in the church, said one of the participants at the Nov. 20 meeting. The participant spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to reveal the contents of the encounter.

Francis said he was removing Burke's privileges of having a subsidized Vatican apartment and salary as a retired cardinal because he was using the privileges against the church, said another person who was subsequently briefed on the pope's measures. That person also spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to reveal the details.

I'm actually on the fence about this one. I am a big fan of Cdl Burke, but to say that he hasn't been courting JUST this type of reaction would be incorrect. I am actually somewhat proud of Pope Francis flexing just a little bit and saying "You can talk bad about me all you want; but you're not going to do so from the subsidized 4500 sq foot luxury apartment in MY vatican city". I sure Cdl Burke knew that there would come a time where he might have to carry his cross; and this legitimizes it. I want to reiterate that I do like Cdl Burke very much but he certainly has a penchant for the finery of his office and it might be time for a little mortification.
TheGreatEscape
Bishop Strickland for Pope!
jrico2727
AG
Terminus Est said:

jkag89 said:

Quote:

I'm actually on the fence about this one. I am a big fan of Cdl Burke, but to say that he hasn't been courting JUST this type of reaction would be incorrect. I am actually somewhat proud of Pope Francis flexing just a little bit and saying "You can talk bad about me all you want; but you're not going to do so from the subsidized 4500 sq foot luxury apartment in MY vatican city". I sure Cdl Burke knew that there would come a time where he might have to carry his cross; and this legitimizes it. I want to reiterate that I do like Cdl Burke very much but he certainly has a penchant for the finery of his office and it might be time for a little mortification.
4500 sq foot luxury apartment How much of this is residence vs office, it is my understanding that location served as both? I would be hesitant to say that someone who has been constantly under fire, demoted and pushed to side under this pontificate lacks in mortification. If memory serves me correct he even was mocked by some very high prelates as he suffered with covid. He did this all with more grace and patience than I will ever have.
hockeyag
AG
Francis cannot persuade with theology so he resorts to bullying. How enlightened.
PabloSerna
AG
What about the mission? That is where turning inward can hinder Christ's command to the church.
PabloSerna
AG
hockeyag said:

Francis cannot persuade with theology so he resorts to bullying. How enlightened.

Seriously? How would you handle your subordinates if they decide they know better than you? Obedience is a vow when the good Bishop lay flat on the ground during his ordination.

I still think the main reason was a refusal to implement the Vatican's rule on the TLM. It does not remove the 1962 Liturgy, but it does restrict it in some ways versus the Novus Ordo.

ETA- I attend the very church Bishop Vasquez has his chair. He implemented the Vatican's rule on TLM at the Cathedral of St. Mary. Will be interested to see how that is handled in Bishop Strickland's parish.
PabloSerna
AG
TheGreatEscape said:

Bishop Strickland for Pope!

It could happen!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Totally agree. Cardinal Burke has continued to be humble in his attempts to reach Francis. This is a man near death because of covid, and was mocked by Francis in his "off the cuff" remarks.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
hockeyag
AG
What is the standard here? Corporate chain of command, military rank, Sovereign to commoner?
Or is the relationship of Pope to clergy something different? I would hope it's closer to faculty head to fellow professors. Francis is an ends justify the means kind of guy. If he agrees with you , the disagreement is handled with kid gloves, if not -you are punished.
His papacy reminds me of how political cartoonists portrayed Jimmy Carter throughout his presidency.
Every year that passes he gets smaller and smaller.
RAB91
I'd be very surprised if Francis is still around five years from now. We just need to pray that he doesn't do too much damage between now and then. And hopefully the pendulum swings the other direction for the next pope.
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

ETA- I attend the very church Bishop Vasquez has his chair. He implemented the Vatican's rule on TLM at the Cathedral of St. Mary. Will be interested to see how that is handled in Bishop Strickland's parish.

I presume Fr. Daniel Liu is still there? My family appreciated him very much during our several years in Waco (St. Peter's). Reverent ars celebrandi. Very good confessor. Made the Baylor campus ministry better.
Mark Fairchild
AG
His papacy is definitely not what I have known during my lifetime. That would be "PAPA" of the family. What is the saying? "You will be known by the company you keep." I will let you make the connection. Please continue to pray for Bishop Strickland and Cardinal Burke and other devout priests that have been discarded. Finally, pray for Francis that he will make peace with the Father while he can.
chimpanzee
hockeyag said:

What is the standard here? Corporate chain of command, military rank, Sovereign to commoner?
Or is the relationship of Pope to clergy something different? I would hope it's closer to faculty head to fellow professors. Francis is an ends justify the means kind of guy. If he agrees with you , the disagreement is handled with kid gloves, if not -you are punished.
His papacy reminds me of how political cartoonists portrayed Jimmy Carter throughout his presidency.

On one end of the spectrum, he's the direct inheritor of a unique position established by God Himself to use his universal personal authority to lead (and, if necessary, make specific changes to) the only church through which you can reach God.

Closer to the other end, he's a servant to servants, "first among equals" among all Bishops taking a regrettable, but necessary position to facilitate/manage across a diverse global, but identifiably united, organization.

Popes have used these approaches (and everywhere in between) to both good and horrible results over the centuries, so I don't think there is a standard.
747Ag
AG
http://www.mondayvatican.com/vatican/pope-francis-the-end-of-parrhesia
PabloSerna
AG
Fr. Daniel is still here, great priest!
Sea Speed
AG
Read this whole thread and it is pretty interesting to me. I am not religious but my kids go to catholic school. I am going to make it a point to chat with the priest about this situation.

Tbh I thought there would be more nuns roaming around catholic school.
PabloSerna
AG
hockeyag said:

I don't understand the "smaller" comment, maybe you have some insight into the Vatican that others do not. Please share your insight.

+++

One of the issues highlighted by the recent Synod was clericalism. Pope Francis had rightly pointed out that many of the clergy are self-centered and not focused on the people. As he puts it, "the ministers of the church must be ministers of mercy above all"- that is his focus.

Bishop Strickland has repeatedly admitted that he refused the Vatican's directive on limiting the traditional Latin mass, which uses a1962 missal for the basis of the liturgy, because he did not want to starve his flock. I presume this is his way of saying that the modern form of the liturgy (Novus Ordo) is lacking? Add to that this gem, "I reject his program of undermining the Deposit of Faith. Follow Jesus." Which I would take to mean that the Pope does not follow Jesus? Then consider this in light of today's social media. Bishop Strickland commands a large following. Who do you think his "followers" would listen to?

Who seeks to divide and conquer? The enemy.

I used to think like others, that the "smoke of Satan" was an obvious evil, like something out of a Dan Brown novel. However, I am more convinced now that Lucifer was taking advantage of those distractions to sow a greater evil- merit based mercy.

The first step is to create a church that "feels" superior to others. This can be done with great architecture, vestments, bells, and of course - smoke! Those things, by themselves, are not wrong. But if you think you have to have them to be authentic followers of Christ, then there lies the problem. One of the reasons Jesus was sentenced to death was because he said, "Destroy this temple and I will rebuild it in three days." (Jn 2:19) To which they said, "This temple took forty-six years to build," the Jews replied, "and You are going to raise it up in three days?" I'm Catholic and even I admit we have a lot of "smells and bells" that can in some cases elevate the experience and in other ways detract from the message Jesus preached.

I'm going to share something that I don't want y'all to think is me bragging- it is just to reinforce my point that we believers can get caught up with liturgical trappings and miss out on what I call the mission.

Just the other day, driving home late from work on E 7th Street in Austin, I decided to get a bite at Fly-Rite, a chicken sandwich place that has some pretty good stuff. Like many places around Austin, homeless folks hang around and will come up to your car just as you approach the speaker to place an order. As I was wrapping up my order, this guy pops up and asks for something like, "can you buy me something" - didn't quite hear it all, but it has happened before. At first, I was like - dang it - this place is kind of pricey and I was already spending money I was holding out for presents (I try to use cash for discretionary expenses). I bit my lip and said.. "ok" then proceeded to tell the lady, make that two 512 Burgers, then he said, "Can I have the Cowboy meal?" - I DID hear that and shot back, "whoa man, that's more expensive!" He then said he was sorry and would take whatever.

At that point, the lady asked me to repeat- I looked at him and tried to remember what Jesus says about feeding the hungry. More importantly, I also remember that God loves a "cheerful giver" (2 Cor 9:6-7). So I ordered the Cowboy meal and asked him what kind of drink he wanted. Also remembering Alan Graham's book about homeless folks really wanting to choose charity.

But God was not done with me. I drove around to pay and pick up the food. He also walked around to meet me just past the drive-thru window. I noticed then, that he was crying. I felt horrible because I made him feel bad for even asking for help. He was a young man, I don't know if he was homeless or not, but it was getting cold. When I got the food, I took it to him and added some cash, nothing really. And I made sure to ask him for forgiveness. His words to me were simply, "thank you- I was just really hungry."

I know what the love of God feels like. I felt it immediately like a wave washing over you. I asked him if he was ok and was there anything I could do realizing I was putting myself out there. He was just hungry was all he said. I cried on the way home, but grateful to have experienced this.

This is what I believe needs to be the focus going forward.

PS: Sorry for wall of words!

powerbelly
AG

Quote:

Bishop Strickland has repeatedly admitted that he refused the Vatican's directive on limiting the traditional Latin mass, which uses a1962 missal for the basis of the liturgy, because he did not want to starve his flock. I presume this is his way of saying that the modern form of the liturgy (Novus Ordo) is lacking?
This is the least charitable way to read this statement. It seems like the Bishop was responding to a sincere desire from his flock to have more of the traditional mass. He was very much serving his flock, not himself.

I can't believe you typed that statement with a straight face while rushing to pat yourself on the back for a minuscule amount of charity.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
powerbelly said:

Quote:

Bishop Strickland has repeatedly admitted that he refused the Vatican's directive on limiting the traditional Latin mass, which uses a1962 missal for the basis of the liturgy, because he did not want to starve his flock. I presume this is his way of saying that the modern form of the liturgy (Novus Ordo) is lacking?
This is the least charitable way to read this statement. It seems like the Bishop was responding to a sincere desire from his flock to have more of the traditional mass. He was very much serving his flock, not himself.

I can't believe you typed that statement with a straight face while rushing to pat yourself on the back for a minuscule amount of charity.

It's his schtick…

Fr James Martn has nearly 300k Twitter followers. … +Strickland had about 180k.

But neery a peep about the division caused by Fr Martin… yet when +Strickland calls him out for being divisive and preaching against the deposit of faith and causing confusion amongst the flock… only +Strickland is being called to task…things that make you go hmmmmm.

And all the hub hub about mission. Our diocese is neck deep in the mission. One can be both concerned about the wolves within the walls and still lead more souls to
Christ and to exemplify the beatitudes. One can still feed the hungry, clothe the naked, comfort the weak and love their enemy all while tending to the spiritual needs of the flock, and meeting them where they are at as well.

aggietony2010
AG
His response was as tone deaf as ++Gregory, which is impressive.
hockeyag
AG
Pablo,
Drawing Carter smaller and smaller was the political cartoonist way visually representing his decreasing effectiveness and power to persuade (legislation).
I see the same thing in Francis' papacy…the longer it goes and the more he opens his mouth and bullies opponents , the less in stature his papacy has…the less he is respected.
RAB91
ChaplainMCH
AG
jrico2727 said:

We may not be quite there yet, but the Church will endure these times. She always does and will, Christ isn't a liar.

Thank you for sharing this! I've been reading volume 1 of "The Christian Centuries: the first 600 years" and one very common theme always permeates, that the Church will struggle but Christ is ever the head.
It is difficult to write as if I was in your presence. However, it is a necessary skill. Communication should be full of smiles, respect, and a desire to relate. If you cannot relate to me, and I to you, there is little chance of us positively influencing each other.
Mark Fairchild
AG
May our Lord continue to guide this "Warrior for Christ" on his journey to proclaim Christ! My household continues to pray for Bishop Strickland and for the Diocese of Tyler. May they know the Grace, Peace, and Love of our Lord Jesus Christ.
PabloSerna
AG
powerbelly said:

Quote:

Rushing to pat myself on my back? Where do you get this from? It is a legitimate take after reading Traditonis Custodes. You may not want to admit it, however, there are some people who think they are holier than the Pope as the saying goes.

Obedience is vow not just lip service.

ETA: I assume you are referring to my testimony? I figured some will take it that way- but the best way to "preach" is through your experience.
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

powerbelly said:

Quote:

Rushing to pat myself on my back? Where do you get this from? It is a legitimate take after reading Traditonis Custodes. You may not want to admit it, however, there are some people who think they are holier than the Pope as the saying goes.

Obedience is vow not just lip service.

ETA: I assume you are referring to my testimony? I figured some will take it that way- but the best way to "preach" is through your experience.

Who are these people? To which communities do they belong? Ecclesia Dei? SSPX? Diocesan? Sedevacantist? Independent? Who are these people?
PabloSerna
AG
We have been talking about Bishop Strickland.
PabloSerna
AG
Here is a contrast for consideration.

"The Episcopal Conferences across Africa, which have strongly reaffirmed their communion with Pope Francis, believe that the extra-liturgical blessings proposed in the Declaration Fiducia supplicans cannot be carried out in Africa without exposing themselves to scandals."

vs

"I believe Pope Francis is the Pope but it is time for me to say that I reject his program of undermining the deposit of the faith." - Bishop Strickland

747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

You mentioned T.C. and then talked about people who believe themselves to be holier than the Pope. Who are these people? To what groups do they belong?
PabloSerna
AG
747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

You mentioned T.C. and then talked about people who believe themselves to be holier than the Pope. Who are these people? To what groups do they belong?
Usually other Bishops. See Bishop Strickland's comments then and even more recently. His word was a simple "no" - from an interview he gave recently about Fiducia Supplicans.

There are Bishops (German Church) who have taken a similar approach, but in the opposite direction about blessing same sex couples. So it is not simply a battle between conservatives and progressives. Then there are some Bishops in Africa who have spoken in favor of criminalizing homosexual persons. Again, Pope Francis spoke up in his trip to Africa to this error. So I would say, we have examples of Bishops that represent the "smoke of Satan" Pope Paul VI wrote about 50 years ago.
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

747Ag said:

PabloSerna said:

Usually other Bishops. See Bishop Strickland's comments then and even more recently. His word was a simple "no" - from an interview he gave recently about Fiducia Supplicans.

There are Bishops (German Church) who have taken a similar approach, but in the opposite direction about blessing same sex couples. So it is not simply a battle between conservatives and progressives. Then there are some Bishops in Africa who have spoken in favor of criminalizing homosexual persons. Again, Pope Francis spoke up in his trip to Africa to this error. So I would say, we have examples of Bishops that represent the "smoke of Satan" Pope Paul VI wrote about 50 years ago.
Interesting, but it's not evidence of either of them believing themselves to be holier than the Pope. Resisting is one thing... whether or not done in the spirit of St. Paul. Spiritual pride is another.
RAB91
Good to see him still fighting the good fight....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.