Pope Francis expected to ask Bishop Strickland to retire

33,856 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
PabloSerna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spoiler alert: he leaves the seminary and marries a woman.

Maybe the operative word is "authentic."

Side note, my wife worked with a gay man who maintained that all men have some level of "gay" in them- she would laugh and say- you have to meet my husband!

It's true, I am not attracted at all to the same sex. I have the opposite problem. I have to catch my wandering eye from time to time. That said, I could never imagine myself attracted to other men.

Now apply that logic to men who claim to have known they were gay at a very early age and have never been attracted to the opposite sex. They can't imagine themselves any other way.
The Banned
That's some really twisted logic right there. A man who identified as gay, only had gay sex his whole life, could never imagine not being gay, couldn't imagine ever having a wife submits himself to the teachings of the Catholic Church, seeks healing in Jesus and receives it can be hand waived away as "I guess he just wasn't gay enough".

You are doing a massive disservice to people with this mentality, including this man. You are seeking answers. Here is a possible solution and you just ignore it. You've been shown that genetics have a minimal role at best in homosexual tendencies. It is much, much more nurture than it could ever be nature. And instead of seeking ways that we can help these people you figure God just made them different.
PabloSerna
AG
God did make them different. My rational is right in step with the CCC regarding the psychological genesis as still unknown.

The CCC maintains that this is a reality for many not just now but throughout history.

Related to this point, here is an excerpt from a 2018 article:

"Juan Carlos Cruz, who spoke privately with the pope two weeks ago about the abuse he suffered at the hands of one of Chile's most notorious paedophiles, said the issue of his sexuality had arisen because some of the Latin American country's bishops had sought to depict him as a pervert as they accused him of lying about the abuse.

"He told me, 'Juan Carlos, that you are gay does not matter. God made you like this and loves you like this and I don't care. The pope loves you like this. You have to be happy with who you are,'" Cruz told Spanish newspaper El Pas."
The Banned
Define "God MADE them different". Because all the science is pointing to nurture as the primary driver. It doesn't sound like God made them that way at all. Fallen human nature is fallen human nature and this is just one of the many ways it is expressed. "Unexplained" does not mean God "made" them that way and I'd say you are in danger even saying those things. Not unless you want to say God "made" alcoholics, people with anger issues, etc. there are much, much stronger genetic links for those issues. Does God make people to sin?

I believe your thought process gives people license to stay in sin, in great detriment to themselves and to people who preach a similar message.
PabloSerna
AG
#1 What science are you referring to?

#2 What do you mean by "nurture"?

#3 I will restate that I am in agreement with the CCC that the psychological genesis is still unknown. The more we start to understand this genesis the more I believe it will inform the church's pastoral approach. How? I don't know.

#4 Regarding man's fallen nature; I believe this does not change anything. The seven deadly sins apply to homosexual persons and heterosexual persons. Just as important so do the seven virtues.

The Banned
PabloSerna said:

#1 What science are you referring to?

#2 What do you mean by "nurture"?

#3 I will restate that I am in agreement with the CCC that the psychological genesis is still unknown. The more we start to understand this genesis the more I believe it will inform the church's pastoral approach. How? I don't know.

#4 Regarding man's fallen nature; I believe this does not change anything. The seven deadly sins apply to homosexual persons and heterosexual persons. Just as important so do the seven virtues.

Just one of many articles for anyone who cares to look it it up: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/science/there-is-no-gay-gene-there-is-no-straight-gene-sexuality-is-just-complex-study-confirms

If it isn't genetic, it has to do with our experiences. I assume you've heard of nature vs nature, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Bottom line: our life experiences to happen TO us and the choices we personally make lead to our behavioral traits later in life. God did not put gay genetics into them. Things have happened in their lives that have confused their sexuality. How do we treat people who have damaged sexual issues? We should treat them, not indulge them.

The psychological genesis may not be fully understood because it is different for each individual. That's why we should treat them as individuals, not a people group. They should each receive the treatment and love they need. Telling people they were born this way is to trap them inside of their own sin with No hope. It is wrong and borderline evil, in my opinion.
PabloSerna
AG
Why the softball? I'm a PBS monthly subscriber.

From that same study…

"Sexuality cannot be pinned down by biology, psychology or life experiences, this study and others show, because human sexual attraction is decided by all these factors."

ETA: "most importantly there is no single gay gene but rather the contribution of many small genetic effects scattered across the genome"

ETA: deleted the personal jab. I was trying to make a funny and it didn't read right. Apologies.
The Banned
PabloSerna said:

Why the softball? I'm a PBS monthly subscriber.

From that same study…

"Sexuality cannot be pinned down by biology, psychology or life experiences, this study and others show, because human sexual attraction is decided by all these factors."

ETA: "most importantly there is no single gay gene but rather the contribution of many small genetic effects scattered across the genome"

ETA: deleted the personal jab. I was trying to make a funny and it didn't read right. Apologies.

Jab away, I don't care. 25% is the best you get. That means, at best, God "made" you 25% gay. That means He "made" you 75-92% straight. Any logical catholic solution to the problem of homosexuality should conclude that there is, AT MINIMUM, a 75% chance this was a product of your life experiences. Are we approaching it that way, either scientifically or from the Vatican?

We all have issues. People with same sex attraction have existed since forever. The problem now is these same people are being told that their proclivities are A OK. Where once upon a time one might try to overcome one's demons, now we tell that person to embrace them.

I don't care to cite all of the identical twin studies that show the idea that "you are born this way" is inaccurate. Instead, I believe, people with same sex attraction should be aware of that fact that something hijacked your childhood/pre-teen years. It's not your fault at all. Let's dive in, figure out what happened, and hopefully help you through this. In the event you can never truly overcome it, at least you'll never see yourself as a "gay Christian". To attribute your sinful proclivities to the Creator is a road no one should travel down.
PabloSerna
AG
I can't keep track of the number of articles and segments I listen to, but in almost every case there is no one reason why some people are homosexual and others are heterosexual. You (and so did I) cite that massive genome study for the so called "gay gene" only to come to the conclusion that it more complicated (biologically, genetically, and psychologically).

What I am hearing, not just here on this board, but from other well meaning friends is that - it is a choice. That those persons tempted into such sinfulness need to pick up their cross and march on. End of story.

What is a sin, is sex outside of the sacrament of marriage. Why is that a sin? Because God instituted marriage and the family as the cornerstone of civilization. This is all good and worked out for a man and a woman seeking to commit their lives to each other.

I question if we are looking at human sexuality with a narrow lens (heterosexual) and labeling anything outside of that view as sinful. Not all homosexual persons are perverse, as the Pope was telling Juan Carlos. They were made by God and he loves them that way. Important to note that the Pope is not commenting on their actions, rather their being.

The comparison of homosexual orientation to other predispositions such as alcoholism, drugs, or other forms of substance abuse is problematic. For one, being gay and being a drug addict have nothing in common, other than the sinful nature the church has imposed. Clearly an addiction to drugs is harmful to the body and will lead to a physical death. What we are saying now, is that being gay and living that lifestyle will lead to a spiritual death. We say that only in the light of scripture and tradition that has always associated homosexuality with perversion and sexual sins (rape, prostitution).

I know this is a too long take, but I have yet to find biblical or sacred tradition that addresses two persons of the same sex, in love, and willing to commit their lives to each other.
The Banned
PabloSerna said:

I can't keep track of the number of articles and segments I listen to, but in almost every case there is no one reason why some people are homosexual and others are heterosexual. You (and so did I) cite that massive genome study for the so called "gay gene" only to come to the conclusion that it more complicated (biologically, genetically, and psychologically).

What I am hearing, not just here on this board, but from other well meaning friends is that - it is a choice. That those persons tempted into such sinfulness need to pick up their cross and march on. End of story.

What is a sin, is sex outside of the sacrament of marriage. Why is that a sin? Because God instituted marriage and the family as the cornerstone of civilization. This is all good and worked out for a man and a woman seeking to commit their lives to each other.

I question if we are looking at human sexuality with a narrow lens (heterosexual) and labeling anything outside of that view as sinful. Not all homosexual persons are perverse, as the Pope was telling Juan Carlos. They were made by God and he loves them that way. Important to note that the Pope is not commenting on their actions, rather their being.

The comparison of homosexual orientation to other predispositions such as alcoholism, drugs, or other forms of substance abuse is problematic. For one, being gay and being a drug addict have nothing in common, other than the sinful nature the church has imposed. Clearly an addiction to drugs is harmful to the body and will lead to a physical death. What we are saying now, is that being gay and living that lifestyle will lead to a spiritual death. We say that only in the light of scripture and tradition that has always associated homosexuality with perversion and sexual sins (rape, prostitution).

I know this is a too long take, but I have yet to find biblical or sacred tradition that addresses two persons of the same sex, in love, and willing to commit their lives to each other.

I'm trying not to lose patience here. Please, go watch the video all the way through. You arent seeing clearly due to the fact that you see this attraction as a PART of the individual. It is not. The purpose of pointing out that it is clearly NOT genetic is to show you it 100% absolutely is not HOW THEY ARE MADE!!!! It is something that happen TO the person. Their sexuality and perception of it is damaged. It is broken. They need help. I bring up alcoholism, rage, etc not to equate them as similar sins but to show that since there ARE legitimate genetic markers for these issues, they have a much stronger claim to "made this way" than homosexuals. Yet we try to help people out of these sins, not try to find ways to allow them.

Again, as the video addresses, these people should not be condemned to a life of white knuckling it. We should be pouring resources into helping them understand where and how they were harmed earlier in life and to deal with those issues. Your approach of making this apart of their identity is flat out incorrect. And because of that incorrect understanding, you seek a way to validate their lifestyle. You are blinded to reality, and in my opinion, are treading on very dangerous ground of saying God intentionally makes sinners.

Your last two paragraphs are just willful blindness. The church has always taught sodomy is wrong. It's bad for heterosexual couples too. it has always been 100% clear. There is no way around that.

At the end of the day, my opinion is that your view robs people of the chance at a full life. It is telling them they can never overcome their sin. Jesus isn't big enough for that. You will never have a chance at a natural family. Jesus isn't big enough for that. You will forever live your life wondering why you're different. Jesus isn't big enough for that. Your view imposed limits on people's ability to say yes to God and limits God's ability to help them.
fc2112
Quote:

You'll find nothing about microwave ovens either and yet - there they are.

PabloSerna
AG
Is it a fair statement that you believe homosexual orientation is independent of an individual, meaning there is no science to this claim, and that they are damaged individuals? That it is really a lifestyle choice and nothing else?

ETA: second question.
PabloSerna
AG
fc2112 said:

Quote:

You'll find nothing about microwave ovens either and yet - there they are.

Indeed.
PabloSerna
AG
Whoa! I just read this...

In the July letter, which is written in Spanish, he reaffirmed that "the Church has a very clear understanding of marriage: an exclusive, stable, and indissoluble union between a man and a woman, naturally open to procreation,"

"The defense of objective truth is not the only expression of this charity; it also includes kindness, patience, understanding, tenderness and encouragement. Therefore, we cannot be judges who only deny, reject and exclude," he said, according to Vatican News. He added that "pastoral prudence must adequately discern whether there are forms of blessing, requested by one or more persons, that do not convey a mistaken concept of marriage."

+++

Not gonna lie, this is exactly what I have been trying to say all along. NOT marriage.. and all that goes with that understanding, particularly open to life. This is something else and all the biblical verses well meaning people want to use as a point against these type of relationships - is not there. Let's see what happens.
The Banned
PabloSerna said:

Is it a fair statement that you believe homosexual orientation is independent of an individual, meaning there is no science to this claim, and that they are damaged individuals? That it is really a lifestyle choice and nothing else?

ETA: second question.

"Choice" is too strong of a word. No one "chooses" to be a drug addict. No one "chooses" to be a sex addict. No one "chooses" to be depressed. No one "chooses" to struggle with same sex attraction. No one "chooses" to be attracted to children.

Catholic anthropology is simple. God made man. God then made woman for man. We belong together. That is it. If something has interrupted this reality, we should spend our time understanding that. We should not be spending our time trying to figure out how we can create a loophole. The video linked explains as much from a man who struggled. Many people in the Courage apostolate will say the same. It can be done.

I do not blame people with same sex attraction. What I will not do is give them an out of "born this way". There is a reason same sex attracted people experience childhood sexual trauma at a significantly higher rate than people attracted to the opposite sex. There is a reason why atypical parent-child relationships are higher among homosexuals and pedophiles. It is all very complex, so I don't mean to make it sound super simple. But I think the evidence is clear that the genesis of the attraction is not a choice. What comes after (indulging in that attraction) is a choice and it is one that people can avoid if they want to and with proper help. Telling these people, falsely, that they are born this way is doing them a massive disservice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6026959/
PabloSerna
AG
Conversion therapy is your answer? Might want to revisit that in light of what we are learning about the devastating effects of this process.

So, I hear you - no one is "born" this way. If they have this condition it is related to childhood trauma. Our Christian response is to encourage them to seek conversion therapy to cope with this sinful reality.

Yes?

The Banned
PabloSerna said:

Conversion therapy is your answer? Might want to revisit that in light of what we are learning about the devastating effects of this process.

So, I hear you - no one is "born" this way. If they have this condition it is related to childhood trauma. Our Christian response is to encourage them to seek conversion therapy to cope with this sinful reality.

Yes?

Please. Watch. The. Video.

"Conversion therapy" is an intentionally loaded term that covers a wide variety of techniques. Some of them were absolutely horrendous. Electro shock therapy. Brainwashing. All sorts of damaging experiments were done. No denying that.

Meanwhile, what apostolates like Courage do would also fall under "conversion therapy", but what it truly does is provide a safe place for people to go to on their journey of repenting from their sin. It has to be a voluntary process, no different than any of us turning from our sins. People forcefully checked in to rehab have horrendous failure rates.

There are many podcasts with both men and women who have ceased that lifestyle. Matt Fradd has had several on to tell their stories. The evidence is there for anyone who wants to find it. These people are not condemned to a lifestyle of sin, as you would have them believe. There can be healing. But the more people tell them "this is just who you are" the less likely they are to ever be healed. It is a false teaching and it leads people to sin. Jesus has quite a bit to say about this.

I will state one more time: there is absolutely zero evidence that people are born gay. 0 evidence. None. Not a bit. God did not make them gay and I believe it is blasphemous to even say that. If you believe God made people this way, I would encourage you to look at the body of evidence we have and use your critical thinking skills. We are born white, brown, black. We are born male or female. We are born with many predetermined traits. Homosexual feelings are not one of those predetermined traits.
PabloSerna
AG
#1 The Courage apostolate goes out of its way to say they are NOT "conversion therapy" and I read where the founder, Fr. John Harvey OSFS, has said that people should not go to conversion therapy, because - his position was based on an old maxim in moral theology that "what cannot be achieved cannot be required."

#2 I like how you speak for all of modern science and just double down on "0 evidence." that people are born gay! Yes sir, I hear you.

#3 I need to watch another video? I will try. I'm supposed to be working right now, but I can't.

#4 You say, "God did not make them gay." You should know that there are not just a few theologians, but the very Pope himself, that have written just the opposite. God DID make them gay. It is where we go from there. I don't have the sacred theological doctrine or even a master of divinity to stand in the same room, but we can think with our minds formed with the grace of God.

+++

I applaud your boldness and I want to see what happens not just the Synod but beyond. We are living in incredible times, I believe. 3 days of darkness? I don't think so. I'm going to say something that I know will piss off some folks - the smoke of Satan is not what you think it is - liberation theology, women preachers, gay blessings - it just may be the backwards ideology that seeks to exclude people from God.

In most of these cases, the idea is to bring more people to God, and let God do the healing! For many it would seem, refusing the eucharist to supposedly heretics is doing the will of God. Really? I don't think we can break God. We certainly cannot break the Church, unless you think Jesus built this house on sand? We know he didn't. "Fear not" he tells us.
The Banned
PabloSerna said:

#1 The Courage apostolate goes out of its way to say they are NOT "conversion therapy" and I read where the founder, Fr. John Harvey OSFS, has said that people should not go to conversion therapy, because - his position was based on an old maxim in moral theology that "what cannot be achieved cannot be required."

#2 I like how you speak for all of modern science and just double down on "0 evidence." that people are born gay! Yes sir, I hear you.

#3 I need to watch another video? I will try. I'm supposed to be working right now, but I can't.

#4 You say, "God did not make them gay." You should know that there are not just a few theologians, but the very Pope himself, that have written just the opposite. God DID make them gay. It is where we go from there. I don't have the sacred theological doctrine or even a master of divinity to stand in the same room, but we can think with our minds formed with the grace of God.

+++

I applaud your boldness and I want to see what happens not just the Synod but beyond. We are living in incredible times, I believe. 3 days of darkness? I don't think so. I'm going to say something that I know will piss off some folks - the smoke of Satan is not what you think it is - liberation theology, women preachers, gay blessings - it just may be the backwards ideology that seeks to exclude people from God.

In most of these cases, the idea is to bring more people to God, and let God do the healing! For many it would seem, refusing the eucharist to supposedly heretics is doing the will of God. Really? I don't think we can break God. We certainly cannot break the Church, unless you think Jesus built this house on sand? We know he didn't. "Fear not" he tells us.

1. Courage opponents would call it conversion therapy and have called it conversion therapy. It's why they put on their website that they aren't conversion therapy. It's why I'm saying it's a loaded term and saying that's my solution is not accurate. Healing is what I'm calling for.

3. No. It's the exact same video I've been referencing for days now. Have you completed it?

4. I would ask you to cite your theologians. It would also not be the first time a some theologians and the pope himself is wrong on a topic. You like to speak frequently on "ex cathedra" and dogmatic statements, so you know this to be true. The science is incredibly clear. I triple and quadruple down on this because all of your errors and the error of certain prelates is based off of this misunderstanding.

As to the rest of it, you pray for what you see fit. I see your position as firmly stating the church has been completely wrong for two millennia. There is no way to rectify the two. The church can't break God for sure. And the Church Jesus left us can't be broken either.So if the Catholic Church starts going against it's very own sacred tradition and doctrine, we are in a very confusing time indeed.

ETA: my view believes healing is possible. Let Jesus work. Your view believes homosexuals are doing nothing wrong and don't need healing in this area. Telling someone they aren't sinning isn't going to lead them to change.
ChiefHaus
PabloSerna said:

We are living in incredible times, I believe. 3 days of darkness? I don't think so. I'm going to say something that I know will piss off some folks - the smoke of Satan is not what you think it is - liberation theology, women preachers, gay blessings - it just may be the backwards ideology that seeks to exclude people from God.

I believe you and I can now agree on this. Two different religions. Mine stays true to the 2000 year history and yours says "we don't exclude people from God."

For the record, the Catholic church does not exclude anyone. The people exclude themselves by choosing sin over choosing God's will. We point out truth and do our best to follow it, we do not dialogue when the truth is already defined. I stand with the dubia Cardinals and the minority...you with Pope Francis and the majority of Cardinals. Confusing times for sure. Viva Cristo Rey!
SoTxAg
AG
Catholicism has never been a religion of convenience. There are plenty of feel good rock-n-roll churches these days that serve in that capacity.
RAB91
PabloSerna
AG
Innocent women and children dying at the hands of terrorist who claim to be doing the will of God - and this is your focus?
The Banned
PabloSerna said:

Innocent women and children dying at the hands of terrorist who claim to be doing the will of God - and this is your focus?

One can be concerned about two things at once, no? It is possible to be praying for those overseas AND that our Church doesn't fall into heresy.
Bird Poo
AG
PabloSerna said:

The damage this will do to the Church is far lasting and yes, more important than two Christian hating sects that have been killing each other for thousands of years.
747Ag
AG
PabloSerna said:

Has the synod stopped because of what is happening in Israel? Who here has stopped taking care of their family since October 7? The salvation of souls is supreme, and this synod and the many proposed (yet already settled) errors need voices correcting them for the benefit of souls.
TAM85
Still the bishop.
hockeyag
AG
Apparently the "progressives" got a lot more pushback than they expected to their agenda. I hope this means Bishop Strickland is not a target any longer.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
TAM85 said:

Still the bishop.

Yup. Had a great Mass on Sunday.
Terminus Est

Hello Pablo, I know you mentioned early in this thread that this was an impossibility because of the Vatican's statements regarding the impermissibility of blessings for gay couples. Would like to get your thoughts on this as from my point of view, everything we said would happen is happening.
747Ag
AG
Terminus Est said:

Hello Pablo, I know you mentioned early in this thread that this was an impossibility because of the Vatican's statements regarding the impermissibility of blessings for gay couples. Would like to get your thoughts on this as from my point of view, everything we said would happen is happening.

Most recent Responsa ad Dubia tho...
Terminus Est
I really don't know what anyone was expecting, the responsa was pure Romanita, repeat orthodoxy while musing about situations where pastoral care requires nuance which liberal bishops take and run with. Zero doubt that a "gay blessing ceremony" will be 100% equivalent to a Catholic wedding ceremony in everything but the changing on one word.
PabloSerna
AG
What has happened? Fill me in because I had been following the Synod pretty much daily and there was a lot of discussion, but only one document to come out of the month long meetings. That document does not call out LGBTQ persons in any way, but does bring up the fact that many people are pushed out of the church.

I know y'all don't like Fr. Martin, but he did a very good write up about his experience and what his main take away was- friendships!

I believe it was Cardnial Dolan that sat at his table along with an American youth from Wyoming. He pointed out that the format (timed discussions) moved conversations along. He also discussed topics with others that shared the exact opposite of his views (surprise) but that they were able to have meaningful discussions in a civil manner.

While we (USA) may have issues with LGBTQ questions, the rest of the world has more pressing issues like immigration, poverty, religious persecution, etc., - I wouldn't put too much into what one Bishop is doing until you see the Vatican weighing in.

In the meantime, the Synod is taking a year off to reflect on the proceedings and will engage at the local level with folks ahead of the final Synod, next October. After that, it is presumed the Pope will be writing an encyclical to guide the church on the matters that rose up to the top. Unlikely that will include LGBTQ and women's ordination.

BTW- Fr. Radcliff OP was incredible! So proud of my former Master General, he represented the Order of Preachers in the best light. I was blown away and have a better perspective as a result. Praise the Lord!!

PabloSerna
AG
Terminus Est said:

I really don't know what anyone was expecting, the responsa was pure Romanita, repeat orthodoxy while musing about situations where pastoral care requires nuance which liberal bishops take and run with. Zero doubt that a "gay blessing ceremony" will be 100% equivalent to a Catholic wedding ceremony in everything but the changing on one word.
You are right and should any "blessing" come to pass - it will not be in any way analogous to the sacrament of Holy Matrimony.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
PabloSerna said:

Terminus Est said:

You are right and should any "blessing" come to pass - it will not be in any way analogous to the sacrament of Holy Matrimony.
"equivalent" or not, there should be no "blessing" of a sinful relationship. Should people ask for blessings for their "throuple", or for them and their mistress? Why not bless a couple living together but who don't want to become married?

Any official liturgical approval of a sinful relationship should be absolutely avoided; regardless of who or how many people think it would be the right or good or "pastoral" thing to do.

And to respond to the "love is love" responses, love can be disordered. As a matter of fact, a well-known and popular statement that many agree with is about love being the root of all evil. Love of money, that is. So Love isn't always and necessarily good and postive. Love can be disordered.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.