Pope Francis expected to ask Bishop Strickland to retire

33,846 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Ragnar Danneskjoldd
747Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RAB91 said:

747Ag said:

hockeyag said:

A question: Are parishes/ diocese required to pay a "tax" to the Vatican?
The Pope clearly dislikes/distrusts American Catholics, but likes the money sent his way.
Maybe a financial boycott is a suitable response.

No tax. There's annual collections (voluntary) for a charity called Peter's Pence. People have been already withholding donations.
As parishioners we have very few ways to push back. Other than prayer, the only real option is to start withholding donations to anything at the diocesan level. I know that it is a little bit of cut off your nose to spite your face, but I'm really considering stopping my DSF donations in my diocese. I know that my individual donations won't make a difference, but if enough people do it it might. I'll still continue to donate to my local parish.
Sad thing is that the USCCB is getting lots of money from Uncle Sam. I've discussed this with my former pastor and friend that works in the parish and I have no clue how to personally fight/react with my tithe. It's disheartening.
Terminus Est
This is the spirit of the Age. I make it a point not to publicly question the Vicar of Christ, so I will refrain from airing my true feelings but it is obvious that the Papacy of Pope Francis will be exemplified by preaching of boundless mercy, accompaniment, and compassion to the heterodox, homosexual and heretical while dropping the hammer on anything that has the barest whiff of piety, humility, or *gasp* orthodoxy.
Terminus Est
RAB91 said:

And to my point about other bishops, what a bunch of nothing this statement is from DiNardo.

I'm borrowing this.... but it appears that the only thing that gets you fired by this pope is actually being Catholic.

Cardinal DiNardo, who is my Bishop, is the perfect example of a Company Man. Everything is always catholic corpospeak
hockeyag
AG
Our parish priest keeps asking us to donate to the diocesan fund or the diocese will "tax" them . I was wondering if Rome did the same with dioceses.
jrico2727
AG
What are the Vegas odds that Fr James Martin SJ is Tyler's next Bishop?
747Ag
AG
hockeyag said:

Our parish priest keeps asking us to donate to the diocesan fund or the diocese will "tax" them . I was wondering if Rome did the same with dioceses.
No, Rome doesn't do what the local dioceses do, except perhaps for the Diocese of Rome.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
We have withheld that donation for a few years. However, much like my contributions to A&M, I doubt they are missed.
Mark Fairchild
AG
We have made the decision to support our Parish and their projects. We have a school at Sacred Heart, Rockport, TX, so that has become a worthy recipient of our donations.
2ndGen87
AG
Does the false prophet who is currently pope ever remove a liberal?
Mark Fairchild
AG
The thought of that becoming a possibility causes great pain to my heart.
jrico2727
AG
Mine too, I apologize for even posting it
RAB91
Bishop Strickland must of have been doing something right. We all know that not every seminarian will become a priest, but the numbers are interesting.

Tyler diocese - 21 seminarians. Catholic population - 120k. 1 seminarian/5.7k of the population
Galv Hou diocese - 45 seminarians. Catholic population - 1.7m. 1 seminarian/37.8k of the population

Hopefully my math is correct...
747Ag
AG
If Rome gives reasons, I suspect it will be along the governance issues listed in the article below. I seem to recall an open letter by laity defending His Excellency on those local matters (can't find it in my browser history, though). Traditiones Custodes is also likely a reason because +Strickland stated he couldn't and wouldn't starve out part of his flock. I suspect Rome's reasons are more ideological than governance.

I grieve for my friends in the Diocese of Tyler... they've been forcefully stripped from their spiritual father and placed into foster care. If you ask them, they would have no gripes about things, save for a couple of nits.

From across the Gulf of Mexico, I see an inversion of justice. Kyrie Eleison.

https://www.pillarcatholic.com/p/pope-francis-removes-tylers-bishop
Terminus Est
I have to say, I do feel disliked and rejected by Pope Francis. I don't think he likes Catholics like me in the Church. I would not even rightly be called a radtrad, but I still feel like Pope Francis is telling me "there is no room in the Church for you and anyone like you".
Bob Lee
AG
Terminus Est said:

I have to say, I do feel disliked and rejected by Pope Francis. I don't think he likes Catholics like me in the Church. I would not even rightly be called a radtrad, but I still feel like Pope Francis is telling me "there is no room in the Church for you and anyone like you".

One of the hallmarks of radical inclusivity. The ones who try to conform to the truth are the ones who get left out in the cold.
AggieRain
AG
Terminus Est said:

You are probably right. He prefers Catholics like me. Lazy about the richness and history if the faith. Apathetic to the deeper levels. More prone to outsourcing our thinking to the church hierarchy.

Why you haven't gone full EO is a mystery to me. The modern Catholic church doesn't seem to do you justice...
747Ag
AG
AggieRain said:

Terminus Est said:

You are probably right. He prefers Catholics like me. Lazy about the richness and history if the faith. Apathetic to the deeper levels. More prone to outsourcing our thinking to the church hierarchy.

Why you haven't gone full EO is a mystery to me. The modern Catholic church doesn't seem to do you justice...

Well, there's still substantive disagreement between Catholics and Orthodox, even though there an overwhelming majority of agreement between both camps in doctrinal matters, albeit with differences in language/terminology (e.g. Mother of God vs. Theotokos). In an Orthodox Church once and looking at apologetic tracts, I noted just how familiar their theology was to Rome. Our differences are real, especially with respect to Rome and authority, and we can't just say nevermind because of the confusion Francis has wrought on the Church.
Mark Fairchild
AG
In further reflection as the day has passed, I am reminded of the disciples on the road to Emmaus. They were going home, heartbroken by witnessing the crucifixion and death of our Lord. Much like how many of us, and especially the Catholics and Bishop of Tyler. However, our Lord did not leave them orphans. He accompanied them, broke open the Scriptures for them, stayed with them, and gave to them the Holy Eucharist. The disciples recognized the Lord and cried out, "Did not our hearts burn within us!" With this, they returned to spread the message of the Messiah as our Lord intended. This is what I perceive that your good Bishop will do, and I pray what all of you dear brothers and sisters in Christ will do. God give you Strength, Mercy and Peace, and know that you are in our prayers.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I recommend to you, "The Now Word" Mark Mallett. Listen to his podcast about why we should remain in the Holy Roman Catholic Church.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Go to "The Now Word" with Mark Mallett. His podcast addresses why we should remain in the Holy Roman Catholic Church. I pray that the discussion will give information and comfort.
PabloSerna
AG
Praying for you guys that are hurting from this decision. Bishop Vasquez is a wonderful servant (he is our Bishop) and I have also said a prayer for Bishop Strickland.
The Banned
Reinstated cardinal mccarick but the mean old bishop Strickland. No mercy for terrible people like him.
jkag89
The Banned said:

Reinstated cardinal mccarick but the mean old bishop Strickland. No mercy for terrible people like him.

Since when? He was removed from public ministry in 2018 and laicized in 2019.
Klaus Schwab
2ndGen87 said:

So the Vicar of Christ can be a false prophet? Theres a beautiful Orthodox Church in Tyler for those who are starting to get it…
brazagg
AG
I have to remind myself the church is the church. The pope is not the church. Sometimes that is hard to do with this one.
747Ag
AG
jkag89 said:

The Banned said:

Since when? He was removed from public ministry in 2018 and laicized in 2019.
I believe it was the quiet censure from Benedict XVI that Francis lifted.

The Fr. Rupnik case is troubling as well... save for the cries of the laity, especially the quarters of the laity catered to by this synod, he would have been reinstated as a parish priest after his grievous sins and excommunication.
jkag89
Thanks, I forgot about that.
jkag89
Klaus Schwab said:

2ndGen87 said:

So the Vicar of Christ can be a false prophet? Theres a beautiful Orthodox Church in Tyler for those who are starting to get it…
Not as if the Orthodox Churches are free of strife, see Patriarch Kirill of Moscow for example.
Terminus Est
AggieRain said:

Terminus Est said:

Keep white knuckling it my friend, you are not dead, your story is not yet written. you may be a powerful witness to the conversion possible through the Church. God Bless you.

I have great love for the Orthodox Church, I do think my heart is in the East but they do not have the Bishop of Rome, they do not have Peter, and I cannot sever my tie to his barque. I do believe that our shared participation in the Eucharist will unite us again one day, and that will be one of the best days of my life.
AggieRain
AG
Terminus Est said:

AggieRain said:

Terminus Est said:

Keep white knuckling it my friend, you are not dead, your story is not yet written. you may be a powerful witness to the conversion possible through the Church. God Bless you.

I have great love for the Orthodox Church, I do think my heart is in the East but they do not have the Bishop of Rome, they do not have Peter, and I cannot sever my tie to his barque. I do believe that our shared participation in the Eucharist will unite us again one day, and that will be one of the best days of my life.

This is a wonderful message. I'll carry this with me into the mass tomorrow.
jrico2727
AG
FIDO95
AG
It is done.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
File5
AG
I firmly believe he will be vindicated, hopefully within the next 50 years and at the very least when his time is up. The Church is in good hands regardless of the Pope. I'm not worried, we'll get back on track soon enough. God bless Bishop Strickland, the diocese of Tyler, and the Pope.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
In mass this morning my priest prayed that people will come to recognize global warming as a threat. I feel so lost.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Klaus Schwab said:

2ndGen87 said:

I dont think he even uses that title

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.