Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Reveille VII to retire

30,118 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Mantis Shrimp
logsatm04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't we cloned a dog yet? That should be our mascot.

Rev VII needed to retire 3 years ago. I always said they should have switched her without telling people because no one would know.
Expert Analysis
AG
Bring back the mutt
Trucker 96
We could go mutt or German shephard without breaking tradition. Either one works for me.

[This message has been edited by Bob the Enzyte Guy (edited 2/13/2008 8:36a).]
M2Spider
AG
Let's have a mascot that is intimidating.

DecadePlan
AG
BportTXAG
AG
A-W-E-S-O-M-E. That is so our new mascot. I am ridiculously terrified of that thing.
OrmyIllus
decade... wow!! lol

BportTXAG
AG
You g2g put that on the Mantis Shrimp thread btw.
CDub06
AG
Good. I didn't like that dog.

Bring back the mutt!
NeuroticAg
AG
May I suggest http://www.houstoncollierescue.org/?

Then the next Rev would be both a rescued dog AND a collie.
BportTXAG
AG
Neurotic is right. Who the hell told you Texags was about compromise?
ultimate07
AG
get one that doesn't bark all the time
Nagler
AG
FtBendTxAg
AG
I sort of upset nobody has mentioned the miniature schnauzer yet.
Mugsy01
AG
I'm Pro-Mutt, too, but I don't know if the powers-that-be are willing to essentially turn the hundreds of A&M officially licensed products featuring a collie into outdated garbage -- or should I say "collector's items?"

I understand there's a $ impact of changing the mascot every few years, but if our mascot is supposed to mean more than merchandising dollars (and it damn well better!), I say we do it as soon as possible.
OrmyIllus
maybe E2 was watching the Westminster dog show on USA last night...

HOGS LEW
Blue Lacy! State Dog of Texas.
1stAggie05
Ok, first of all, whoever claimed that a Rhodesian Ridgeback should be the next dog is on crack...you must be the type of person that also enjoys shows like "World's ugliest dogs" competitions and play with greyhounds and poke at their sickly rib cages.

I can't believe you punks who claim you are Aggies and so gleeful about getting rid of our mascot and are actually verbally ugly about such an icon of our school. Shame on you...you must be the ones who are afraid of dogs and think that anonymous smart remarks make you feel more manly, even though I am betting you have never seen her close up...you have no idea if she is inbred or whatever.

Yah,when you shove a puppy into a crowd of 40,000, she is likely to become a little skiddish…she never knows who her owner is, she is handed off every few years to a newbie. The article even says it…she interacts with hundreds of students every day, who all want to touch her and such. She travels and they wonder why she is skiddish…

Get with the Aggie tradition that you are clearly unaware of-she is an icon of our school, regardless of good or bad press. Or perhaps you would be happier with a retarded longhorn as your mascot...sounds like that is when you belong if you are going to bash your own school.
TXAG 05
AG
Miniature schnauzers are worthless
OrmyIllus
quote:
poke at their sickly rib cages

wait...

Mugsy01
AG
quote:
Or perhaps you would be happier with a retarded longhorn as your mascot...

Oh my goodness, have you ever even seen Bevo up close?! How could you call him retarded?! Hipocrit.
MouthBQ98
AG
Use a smooth blue merle collie. They look cooler, and much less girlie.

Then again, Rev is a FEMALE, so shoudln't she look a little girlie? Any female dog is going to look girlie...no matter what the breed...cept a bulldog maybe...
94Aggie95
AG
mutt...not going to happen.
MouthBQ98
AG
I own 3 collies and have been around hundreds more. (My wife shows them and trains them). Female collies, especially rough collies like Rev, tend to be naturally a bit shy or standoffish when they meet new people. They don't naturally trust new people. The females are also quite a bit more high strung than the males. On the other hand, they are very good with children and are very tolerant of harassment and handling for the most part. Collies are herding dogs, so they bark a lot. It is part of what they are bred for. They also chase and nip, which are more herding instincts. They come in 4 colors and 2 coats: Rough or long coat, like Rev, and Smooth or short coat. The colores are sable (like rev), blue merle, Tricolor, and white.

My collies..(all males):

The tricolor on the right looks a bit like the original rev.
theaggiesarewe
you never know, they just might go with a different breed this time...never say never
Soco
mike07civil
Gigem314
AG
I'm thinking German Shepherd.
agvet05
AG
Wow, I never knew there were so many collie haters out there. I currently have a collie and he is by far the best dog I have ever had. He does bark a lot and that is truly a breed characteristic.

I think it would be stupid to change to another purebred dog (especially a ridgeback) but I would be cool with mutt if the pro-mutters have the influence to get it done.
DunnAggie
AG
I'm thinking Golden Retriever.
whoop2217
S
My dad raises Rhodesian Ridgebacks. One of the males name is Sarge. He would look good on the sidelines.

And for the guy who said they are ugly and have their ribs showing must be stupid enough not to know better. The only ones you have probably seen were on a dog show. If you have seen a healthy one you would be intimidated.

[This message has been edited by whoop2217 (edited 2/13/2008 10:29a).]
texasaggies0925
I think the point is that everybody likes hearing about the original Reveille (the dog that the ct's found, etc.).

Personally I think it'd be a cooler tradition to pick a mutt up from the pound every year rather than to ship out for a pure-bred wannabe show dog.

I think this is unlikely to change though simply because there is so much merchandising for Rev now as a Lassie look-a-like. I personally don't hate border collies.

However, the "rough tough real stuff" image isn't really conveyed by our lassie look-a-like.

BRING BACK THE MUTT!
Mr.Bond
AG
Rev VII is given to a loving aggie family where she stays with until she passes away. Its not fair all you Collie Nay Sayers to judge an entire breed on the accounts of one animal way to be ignorant morons. 2%ers

Its amazing how some of you people think you know something when you have no clue what youre talking about
MouthBQ98
AG
houstoncollierescue - all collies that need good homes...
MouthBQ98
AG
People just want their favorite dog breed to be the next Rev..that's mostly it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.