Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Reveille VII to retire

30,124 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Mantis Shrimp
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Actually, a traditional military dog would be a mastiff.
aggiematt235
AG
mutt
Fightin2010
AG
Mastiff would be awesome. We need a huge masculine dog. Not a girly long haired collie.
captain angry
AG
I want a 3 legged half bear mutt
jsdaltxag
Don't think all ol Ags would prefer a collie. I bet a majority young and old would prefer a mutt. I wish Texags would start a poll.

Ol Ags want it old school. Bring back the mutt.
jsdaltxag
Didn't Ranger have a tattoo.

How bad would that be to have a mutt dog, with a block aTm tattoo on it.
dcbowers
AG
I like the idea of getting somebody at the Vet School to clone Reveille. We could call her "Reveille VII.2".
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TraumaCrani
AG
Rev VI bit me on the ass at a basketball game once. Never did forgive that dog.
McJulie-O
AG
Bring back the mutt.
holy
Must have a Mutt!

If you know the story of why we have reveille as a mascot in the first place how could you be against a mutt!!

[This message has been edited by holy (edited 2/13/2008 6:41p).]
craigmugs
AG
How about Pattons dog, was that a Bull Terrrier
Protrident
AG
look at all the old Epsilon Deuce, sorry, E-2 Rebels coming out to defend the biter. I was bit by VI, and this past one was even worse apparently.

I think a good compromise would be to save a dog(collie if need be, but I'm against) from the shelter and not pay thousands on another "perfect" pure blood.
3rdGenAg06
AG
fwiw,

the story changes based on who you talk to, but many agree the "cadets" who brought back the original rev were aggie bandsmen. no story specifies "e-2" cadets (if it even existed back then) found her.

the story continues as i've heard described many times how the original rev would march alongside the band (even in-step, some have claimed).

anyone else know more of it? perhaps how e-2 acquired the responsibility? i believe it had something to do with the BQs already had their responsibility of performing halftimes, so another outfit took the responsibility over (with or without resistance who knows...)

i would bet it happened during the time when the 1st or 2nd rev was being replaced and collies became the trend.

[This message has been edited by bq06 (edited 2/13/2008 7:58p).]
HHH 95
AG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggie_Band

quote:
During Adams' tenure, the college acquired a new mascot, the first since the original Reveille died in 1944. Reveille II, like the original Reveille, was cared for and attended to by band members. During halftime performances, the young dog was allowed to be on the field with the band without her leash. During these breaks where she could get out and run, she had a tendency to "do her business"[1] on Kyle Field's playing surface. This didn't bother the band members much, as Reveille stayed away from the band, but Adams discovered a gambling scheme whereby cadets were taking bets on what yardline the dog would defecate.[1][13] He quickly ended the practice and turned the responsibility of caring for Reveille over to Company E-2, which has since been called the Mascot Company.[1]

ddiddly
you know, the collie came around because of a student vote (please call me out if i am wrong old army)

why not throw another vote. i might even enroll agian just to vote for the mut.
3rdGenAg06
AG
quote:
He quickly ended the practice and turned the responsibility of caring for Reveille over to Company E-2, which has since been called the Mascot Company.

ha! so the bq's gave e-2 their current responsibility, which they are so proud of, and their name. classic good bull!
Mowdy Ag
AG
...nothing new there - the BQ's always did give the CT's a sense of purpose.

MA
ddiddly
oh those bqs
i remember doing snow angels on their practice field and having one of them chase after me while calling his buds on his cell phone.

oh the good ole days
Maverick2603
quote:
It takes a magical kind of person to hate a collie.
No it doesn't. I'm not magical and I hate collies.
3rdGenAg06
AG
well said mowdy ag!

quote:
i remember doing snow angels on their practice field

lol...a little teenage-angst still left in people..wanting to be that bad-boy rule breaker!

"oooooo! you showed them! you got 'em REAL good! hahaha!!!!"
Robbh
AG
I'm absolutly dumbfounded why so many people here are willing to break with tradition and get a mutt or german shepherd.

Why are so many people against another Collie? It's a dog, not a trained soldier. If she barks she barks and dogs do act up. Saying her behavior effects the player's morale is ridiculous.

As for everyone saying that a mutt or german shepherd isn't breaking tradition and I don't know the story- I do know the story and having 1 of something, then switching to something else, is not a tradition, a convention, or even a custom, it was a one-time-thing. Period.

With that said there's a lot of traditions that I think are silly but this is one I'm fine with. Start your flaming.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Reveille VII was borderline retarded. She would never shut the hell up.

My sophomore year I think a drum scared her and she jumped off a steep ledge, thus injuring her leg.

A total train wreck from day one.
DecadePlan
AG
Won't tell you which one, but one of the mascot corporals in my day was a good friend of mine. During the summer, Rev lived at his house and we took her out on the lake.

She got caught in some hydrilla and nearly drowned...I always wondered what would have happened had we killed the A&M mascot. Luckily, she was a strong swimmer and we got her out quick.

That's all I'll say about that though! And no, it won't do any good to triangulate my graduation year to figure it out - just in case you're one of "those" people (like me )
ColoradoMooseHerd
Pro-Mutt

Pro-Boxer

Pro-Lab

Pro-Border Collie

Pro-Anything besides Lassie
ColoradoMooseHerd
Pro-Mutt

Pro-Boxer

Pro-Lab

Pro-Border Collie

Pro-Anything besides Lassie
cmh7007
Pro-Mutt
West Point Aggie
AG
Funny how after ALL this angst, this is what our new Rev will look like

[This message has been edited by West Point Aggie (edited 2/14/2008 11:12a).]
jeffk
AG
Pro-mutt.
MouthBQ98
AG
What KIND of mutt? Huh? What if it is butt ugly?
nomdebull
I have personally observed every mascot except for Reveille I. This issue has grown over time to be a very personal and emotional one for me. We all love our collie mascots: they are beautiful dogs. But, I think the branding of our mascot as solely a collie has painted us into a corner: a corner that sends the wrong message about being an Aggie to our students and the rest of the world.
The Aggie Miracle is the concept that, no matter how humble your beginnings or who your parents were, you can come to Texas A&M and get the tools you will need to achieve greatness. Picking a championship-line purebred mascot departs from that principle. We must get back to the tradition's beginning: the next Reveille needs to be an adult dog (tested for temperament) rescued from being euthanized at a "kill facility" animal shelter. You can't get a more humble background than that, and what a noble gesture!
I know that most Aggies have only known collies, and the branding issue is a legitimate one. Therefore, I would suggest rescuing a collie mix from a shelter. God knows, there are plenty available. You get away from the elitist ramifications of a purebred, are able to keep your brand identity, avoid potential purebred temperament difficulties, and perform a noble gesture all in one move.

parkag69

READ THE BOTTOM FIRST THAT IS THE FUNNY PARTE ABOUT UT CAN SUCK A NUT.

I DONT KNOW I TRHINK ETHER A MUT ARE A COLIE I WOULD LKE TO SEE THE OLD MUTT COME BACK BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IT STARETED OUT AS WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUTT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEEDA MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEDD A MUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEDE A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEED A MUT we need A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEED AMUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUYT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A N=MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT WE NEED A MUT AND UT CAN SUCK A NUT ON THE NEXT MUT THAT WE GET
1876er
AG
I think its clear that manbearpig should be our mascot.

Tone2002
Good Riddance
FatAggieHeat
Pro-Mutt

FatAggieHeat
Pro-Mutt

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.