Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Most painful moment in A&M football history

7,011 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by beefisbest
KJN86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Arkansas '75. I was 11 years old and it still hurts. Teddy Barnes, I hate you.
Phantom309
AG
Obviously not near the worst of all time, but the one that I remember hurting most for me was '05 opener at Clemson. That was supposed to be ther year. I had to leave my friends and watch by myself from a tunnel, and that ending was brutal.
RAB97
AG
The Zach Thomas int for the winning touchdown that started Tceh's dominance over us for the next 15 or so years.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
"Painful" may not be the right word, but sitting through the locker room dance scene in Best Little Wh*rehouse in Texas with non-Aggies was pretty awkward.
RGV AG
AG
The loss to Tulsa in 1991. Win that game and for sure the Ag's are playing for a NC with a real likely chance to have won or shared part of one like Washington. No reason for that loss.
oldschool87
AG
I met the quarterback for Tulsa for that game in the Days Inn in Clayton New Mexico a week ago.

Said it was the greatest game of his career... I informed him of the despair that it caused us...

He had a pretty big grin on his face, like he still had the canary in his mouth...

He was all fat and out of shape.
AggieTFA06
AG
1. baylor 2004
2. texas tech 2002
3. ou 2003 - 77-0

To 1,000,000 touchdowns...and beyond
ironmanag
AG
Arkansas State 2008
KSU 2008
Baylor 2008
KSU 2008/2009
CU 2009
OU 2009
Georgia 2009
91AggieLawyer
AG
>>Subsequently, the SWC prohibited referees from working a game for a school from which they graduated.<<

This didn't happen until 1992, if ever. I don't think it ever happened, but I don't recall for sure. Just FYI: we've had several Aggies in the SWC and currently in the Big 12. All have worked A&M games.

For me, the most painful was probably the CU game in '95. Had we won that game, I don't think the tech debacle happens, nor would we have had much trouble with t.u. Even with one loss, we might still play for a NC that year.

The SMU tie was '94; the SMU game at Kyle that we had to come from behind to win was the next year.
dreyOO
ark in 75 is the proper answer for aggie football overall

however, in my lifetime, i'll say the meltdown in boulder in '95. we showed up sooooo tight
obscureag
Ag Lawyer (the license plate of my former law partner is AGLWYR), RC Slocum says the Colorado game was the hardest of his career. I almost forgot about that one. We really adjusted too late according to RC, and when we did we didn't execute. That team was as talented as any we ever had. Good call.
WBBQ74
AG
1. Arkansas 1975
2. t.u. 1963
3. t.u. 1998
4. OU 2000
5. Miss St. (Snow Bowl) 2000
6. CU 1995
7. Rice 1957
8. Any RC Cotton Bowl
9. t.u. 1940
10. Rice 1973 (MOB) - my personal Hell game.

JOHN2010
AG
Georgia 2009...

Oklahoma 2006

Baylor 2008- sat in the student section at floyd casey.. that was bad enough
DecadePlan
AG
If I'm remembering right, wasn't it was the 1980 10-6 loss to Rice in Kyle Field when some Owl fan (or band member) blew a whistle at field level and imploded the FTAB? I do know that was a loss for us but I am not 100% sure of the year for the band mess-up.

The Saber Incident was a low point for me because I had a straight on view of that absurd moment.
mbcags
AG
First thought Greg Hill fumble ball out of endzone at Cotton bowl against florida state.

However, all pale in comparison to:
'99 BONFIRE
ashley
77-0 easy
FDT 1999
AG
1. 77-0
2. OU int in 2000
3. Watching Ricky Williams run all over us in 1997 at Kyle. (183 yds rushing) That's when I knew things were going down hill, and then I got to witness him break the rushing record in Austin...talk about a miserable experience.

edit: meant 1997

[This message has been edited by FDT 1999 (edited 3/29/2010 12:24p).]
JuliusCaesarAggie
'96 wasn't at Kyle

-----------------------------------------------------------
WN AG
AG
77-0. They could have hung a bill on us if they wanted to.
AG
In my lifetime:

tu 1998: Ricky Williams should have been the goat with his non-call fumbles. The sip *******s watered down the field. The kick at the end of the game after Major led them down the field.

tu 1995: We blew the chance to win the last SWC title. We ended our 32 game home unbeaten streak. I think we had five turnovers around or inside the 20. It was McElroy's last game.
sarancher
AG
arkansas 1975

77-0

I would not want to spend time with a man who did not have the imagination to spell a word more than one way.

......President Andrew Jackson
angus55
1.) Baylor loss
2.) 77-0
3.) tek loss in 95
4.) 96 t.u. loss
5.) 02 t.u. loss
6.) 95 t.u. loss
7.) 90 t.u. loss
8.) 89 piggie loss
9.) hiring fran

[This message has been edited by angus55 (edited 3/26/2010 10:40p).]

[This message has been edited by angus55 (edited 3/26/2010 10:41p).]
terata
AG
1.) 77-0 to blow u
2.) 31-6 to arkan ass in '75
3.) 45-13 '83 to the horns [at Kyle]
4.) 15-13 '63 to the horns [at Kyle]
5.) 33-16 to OSU '83 [at Kyle]
others, but right now I'm too depressed to post them....

E
AG
77 - 0
Amazing Moves
1990 texas game

1995 colorado game

1998 texas game

these are right there but, it has to be

punting with 5 minutes left down by 10 in the sugar bowl. I'm still happy R.C. is GONE! We will eventually hire the right person or sherm gets it done. That process would have just been delayed 10 or 15 yrs. if he was still here.
ToddyHill
AG
As others have already said, Arkansas, 1975. Nothing else comes close. We win, we go to the Cotton Bowl and beat a marginal Georgia team, then become National Champs as UCLA upsets Ohio State in the Rose Bowl.
HogtiedXX
if memory serves, I was a sophomore in HS and had taken my very first real girlfriend to the Arkansas v Texas A&M game in Little Rock in 1975...the game was close until the Hogs hit a bomb right before half-time from Scott Bull (QB) to Teddy Barnes (WR and Kappa Sigma frat brother of my elder brother)....Teddy was double covered in the back of the south endzone and somehow came down with the ball...we had scored on the defense that was supposed to be invincible....after that, the Hogs completely dominated play as the aura of invincibility had been crushed by one play...Ike Forte (deacon in the church I attend now in Texarkana, TX absolutely ran rough-shod over the Aggies in the second half)....just one in a line of many wins over the Aggies....and many more to come, also !
I Should Be Working
AG
Very underrated bad moment (probably b/c it wasn't on TV): loss to Tulsa in 91. That kept us from playing for the NC.
fourgirl5
1963 Thanksgiving, no bonfire (Kennedy assasination)dark cold day, tu comes to Kyle Field number 1, deliberate blown call on an Aggie interception in the end zone allows tu to win (I believe 15-13)...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
The Pass Interference Call against Arkansas in 1979 or 1980(?) that was called by the referee who was a piggie graduate

That game was actually in 1989.

I was too young to actually remember Arkansas '75 but looking on it from the historical perspective, this is definitely the most devastating loss Texas A&M football has ever suffered. Win that game and they play for the NC in the modern era.

OU 2006 comes to mind more so than 0-77. Those big blowouts are far easier to compartmentalize and get past than losing by 1 freaking point when you have a dipsh*t coach who refuses to use his best offensive weapon in JTrain.

tu '95 was also bad. In fact, one could argue that CU and TT '95 were horrible losses for the program that started the year ranked in the top 3.

FSU in the Cotton and ND in the '94 Cotton were gut-wrenching losses. Still ticked about those.
OlsenBum
quote:
77-0.

Everything else pales in comparison.

That has to go down as the worst butt whipping handed out in a game between major conference schools in the past 50 years of college football. Any others worse?

I understand, but that was a top five team and we were on the road at a very tough place to play. For me, getting beat by a lousy Arky St team in Kyle was worse. Absolutely pitiful.
I should add the 2009 TEAM rolling over and playing dead several times wasn't easy to take.
"But I've never seen 'em quit".....BULL

[This message has been edited by OlsenBum (edited 3/27/2010 9:24a).]

[This message has been edited by OlsenBum (edited 3/27/2010 9:25a).]
sonora's death row
most embarrassing?? bringing in bo schembeckler for an interview b4 we fired tom wilson. nice job big cigars.

77-0, and stoopid throwing halfback passes for td's late in the game w/ a huge lead. then our dlineman makes a sack and does his sack dance down by 77, yuk

lately?? getting beaten by baylor, ostate and ttech, yes i know we won in lubbock last yr and ttech had 5 t/o's. have we really fallen that far?? apparently so.
drivinwest
AG
Easy. 77-0. As others have posted, it could have easily been over a hundred.
Rodo
AG
77-0

franchione should have been fired on the spot and told to find his own way back.

Rodo
competitor
When Kevin Murry ran out of bounds and folded his ankle over double. Don't remember the year or the game. Do remember it was at Kyle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.