Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Most painful moment in A&M football history

7,013 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by beefisbest
Bobaloo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stunned there isn't move "love" for the 1995 Texas game. That was a devastating loss.
denhugs2
"THE HIT!!!" ...Painful for HIM!!!
depriest1022
AG
I think it was the loss to the Ragin' Cajuns in 96 or 97 (something like 8 turnovers). I don't recall ever being more mad at a game. If it had been my TV, I would have thrown it through the window.

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/
Greenlander
AG
Since I am not counting Bonfire collapse, which might be the worst moment in the school's history, I'll take the Greg Hill fumble. It's funny that the game doesn't even register in FSU football history. It was the pre-cursor to all the bowl ineptness under R.C., but should have been a launching pad for program greatness on a national scale.
When McGee slipped at the goal line against Penn State, I had flashbacks.
The most painful momentS and games seem like different questions. For momentS, I'd say 77+ to zero would be right at the top....catastrophic football failure for over three hours. I hope nothing on the gridiron ever compares to that.

[This message has been edited by coopertulsa (edited 3/27/2010 11:25a).]
LtZogg
OP said most painful moment, so I'm going with the touchdown pass from Harrell to Johnson with 26 seconds left at Kyle in '96. It was like a kick in the stomach. I was at the game, way up in the Zone with tards all around us....brutal!
sharpdressedman
Way too many to pick just one. Brutal disappointments are the seams in the fabric of our football program
RyanAg08
AG
TT @ Kyle Field 2006, I was standing not more than 50 feet from the catch in the end zone. I was heartbroken.
Cotton79
AG
No question about it: the 1975 loss to Arkansas.

We were a shoo-in for the National Championship game that year, and I have no doubt that we would have won it had we gotten past Arkansas. THAT was a real chance at the proverbial fork in the road.

Who knows where we would be today were it not for that brainfart in the hills of Arkansas. The Greg Hill fumble, the '95 tu game, the LA Tech interception fiasco, 0-77, et.al. ... all of that and more quite probably would have been different had we taken the "other" fork in the road in 1975.
iceman08
AG
baylor 04

the baylor receiver dove for the ball as melvin bullitt was trying to cover him in the endzone, i was a couple rows up from the field, literally RIGHT in front of me

had to watch the bear fans storm the field, horrible drive back home, just numb
aggie987
most painful to watch: Arkansas St in 08
most miserable I've ever been at a game: in Norman this past season
most frustrated/pissed off/irate: Oklahoma 06. Fran sucks
BostonAg74
1963 game against the sips. A badly outmanned Aggie team had the game won with a late interception, and it was nullified by the refs so the sips could get their national title. Photos later showed that it wasn't even close. It was an interception.
Wadsworth
Sonora's Death Row Posted:

77-0, and stoopid throwing halfback passes for td's late in the game w/ a huge lead. then our dlineman makes a sack and does his sack dance down by 77, yuk

I didn't remember it that way, so I looked up the stats for that game. Only two players threw passes for OU. Their first team QB, and their second team QB. There were no halfback passes thrown in that game. OU's Heisman winning QB didn't play a down in the second half. OU's second team QB played the entire second half, and only threw three passes, and completed two of them. The last one with over 13 minutes to play in the third quarter(that's right, the third quarter). OU's offense last scored in that game with over two minutes left in the third quarter (that's right the same third quarter). Their defense ran back a fumble (Lewis) on the second play from scrimmage on our next offensive series for the last score with 2:06 left in the third quarter (still that same third quarter). They never attempted another pass after about the 13:50 mark of the third quarter. They never threw it at all in the fourth. They did have two guys rush for over 100 yards, and they completed 18-21 passes for the game.

I was ready to give Fran the (very sharp) axe then and there. No Aggie coach should ever lose to anyone by a score like that.

Arkansas '75 was still the worst IMO for what it is worth.
birddogman
loss to baylor, sitting in floyd casey was a nightmare with all the baptist
W
AG
the 94 Cotton Bowl. If that lateral is completed to Leeland he scores one of the most famous bowl touchdowns in college football history.
AgRyan04
You guys all think waaaaay more big picture than I do....when I think of moments I don't think of entire 4 hour long games - or even entire seasons.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Check out "Texas A&M & Baseball In No Particular Order"
at tamu-and-baseball.com
squirrelhunter
The entire history of our program post 1939.
ELGINAG
AG
I have never felt as low as after the 75 loss to Arkansas. Cost us a probable national championship and prevented what could have been our breakthrough win.
SA Ag
The defection of Bear Bryant "back home to Alabama"; the Ags promptly lost the three remaining games on the 1957 schedule.
RIP
Looks like we got ripped 20-0 in the Liberty Bowl in 1975. We were pretenders that just delayed getting exposed.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
drey00 hit the nail on the head. Arkansas 75 was as close as we've gotten to a national championship in my lifetime. Coming off the huge win against Texas the week before, we traveled to Arkansas, and promptly were taken to the wood shed.

The Colorado game of 95 exposed us as pretenders, and even though we had a few good seasons with RC after that, I truly believe that single game put us on another trend downward, from which we are yet to recover.
drill4oil78
AG
1975 loss to Arkansas
77-0 loss to OU
Loss to La La in the late 90's
fosterag
AG
Ags game against tu 1963. Outmanned overmatched Aggie team played with fanaticism and actually had a chance to win game against eventual national champs. Obvious unfair call against Ag defensive back who intercepted pass in Aggie endzone last three minutes of game. Referee made incredibly bias call saying interception no good. tu scored next minute to win 15-13. San Antonio paper next day showed frame by frame Jim willenbourg's int. then asked reader you be the judge!
Gig em!
Raven
S
Bigno Fosterag. Took me the entire thread to get to the right answer.
Mowdy Ag
AG
RIP

You weren't there.

The Ags went from expecting to play UGA for a shot at the MNC in the Cotton to playing a four-loss SC in the Liberty Bowl for nothing.

They didn't show up at the LB. But they were anything BUT pretenders.

Thanks for displaying your ignorance of the issue.

MA

[This message has been edited by Mowdy Ag (edited 3/28/2010 8:57a).]
RIP
The 31-6 loss to Arky wasn't some sort of close, fluky game. That is a thorough beating.
Mowdy Ag
AG
The Ags had also thoroughly beaten #5 tu (who had thoroughly beaten Arkansas earlier) for the first time in eight years in what may have been the most exciting game played at Kyle to that time.

Nothing in the tank that next week.

The issue was the timing of the Arky game, not the quality of the Aggie team. See Cotton79's discussion in the other thread.

MA
drilloil
AG
Arkansas 1975
Frank Gifford
For games that I've attended...

1. 2002 tcech game... wes welker still haunts me

2. 2006 tceh game... if only jordan peterson was an inch taller

3. 2006 ou game... field goal fran at his finest hour

4. 2006 nebraska game... zac taylor rips my heart out and jordan peterson continues his legacy of clutch defense for the other team

5. 2004 baylor game... the day i knew fran would never succeed at A&M
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Regarding 75 loss to Arkansas, we continued to celebrate the first win against Texas since '67 the week after, instead of preparing for Arkansas. We were the real deal, but didn't know how to win. There were several all Americans on our team, Simonini, Pat Thomas, maybe one more, but nobody showed up.

Similar situation in the Colorado debacle. Good players who read too many press clippings but didn't know how to win the big game.
Agsone
AG
Uhmm, we're living it dude...

A&M Give Us Room!
WBBQ74
AG
That '75 team offense rode the back of their special new freshman FB, George Woodard, who was a beast that year. He hurt his hamstring in warmups for that fateful Arkansas game and was a non-factor that afternoon. A&M had an early drive stall out with a fumble in the Piggie red zone and the game momentum swayed back and forth until a late 2nd quarter TD pass gave Arkansas a 7-0 halftime lead.

2nd half was turnover Hell and it all just slipped away. The Achilles heel of the wishbone offense of that era was getting behind by 14 or so. Very hard to mount a comeback and when you base your entire offense around the running game and only have perhaps 5 pass plays in the playbook......

The game had been moved for TV from it's original October date. Frank Broyles had the gig of play-by-play color man for the telecast of the t.u. game while STILL HEADCOACH OF ARKANSAS AND PLAYING A&M AT HOME THE NEXT WEEK!!! Serious conflict of interest; what was our AD thinking to not ***** about that incestuous setup? Anyway, it was a fantastic opportunity to 'scout' A&M and Coach Broyles was no fool.

Highwater mark of post 85 scholarship limit Texas A&M football. Haven't been there since.

Cardswin5
The 1995 Colorado game was the most dissappointed I have ever been after a game. We were ranked #3 and leeland was the leading Heisman candidate. Koy Dettmer tears his ACL and John freaking Hessler comes off the bench to have the game of his life. Pullig hits Albert Connell on an out and it goes right through his hands for a pick 6. Leeland hurts his ankle and never produces like he did earlier, we go to Lubbock the next week and lose tht Zach Thomas INT game.. Sickening!!!
Stasco
AG
I agree with ISU, it wasn't the biggest heartbreak by any means, it was just plain disgusting.
oklacityag75
AG
# 1.) The blackest eye in the history of Texas A&M Football was firing RC and hiring Franchokecione. That is the worst loss in our programs history. The worst part is that it is still going on. The absolute worst decision in the history of the United States of America.

# 2.) November 8, 2003. I was in the stands for this debacle. I would have fired the entire coaching staff and made the people wearing the uniforms walk back to College Station. Thanks to #1 above we have this shameful bit of history.

# 3.) Thanksgiving Day versus tu 1963. We won the game. Out played tu. Ref's GIVE the game to tu. Taking away Jim Wilenberg's late 4th quarter interception of tu's Tommy Wade, is the absolute worst ref call ever against an Aggie team.

# 4.) rcansaw 1975, my graduation semester. # 2 in the nation, just destroyed the gender confused homos of tu, go to the hills and the Hatfields and the McCoys team up on us and thump the crap out of the top rated defense in all of College Football.
Theres a Spirit
AG
#1 Arky State- the first game I ever attended

#2 Tech 06- absolutely sick to my stomach after that game

#3 77-0

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.