Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Most painful moment in A&M football history

7,039 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by beefisbest
Cowboy Curtis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kevin murray, ankle snap
missinAggieland
AG
1995 loss to tu on Kyle Field...the first loss on home field to tu. And it SUCKED to watch their fans pour onto and defile our field.
ontheway
ontheway
AG
'74, SMU upset us in the CB in a game we were highly favored to win. As we were leaving the CB, announcement came that bu had upset tu and would go to CB game for their first time. We had beat bu and tu but the loss to smu gave bu the tie breaker. They had never gone to the Cotton Bowl until that gift. They got smoked in the cb. My memory is not so good but I think that is about right except maybe the 3 way tie thing.
'57
tdog7ag
1. 75 Arkansas game
2. 74 tu game
3. 77-0 to OU
4. Holiday Bowl loss to Cal 2006
5. tie Arkansas State 2008 and 1982 BC but that era turned out okay and I believe this one will too.
RIP
Painful moments have to resonate long after the clock hits 0:00.

77-0 doesn't resonate long term with me because:
1. It was a miserable 4-8 year.
2. OU beat Texas 65-13 and Oklahoma State 52-9.
HTownAg
AG
Cotton Bowl loss to FSU by far.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
quote:
Looks like we got ripped 20-0 in the Liberty Bowl in 1975. We were pretenders that just delayed getting exposed

It's already been explained by another poster what went on here. I don't think you can judge that entire team and season by this one game. As already stated, the game was moved for TV purposes to the weekend after the tu game. It was at Arkansas.

Certainly the game might very well have exposed the Ags for being a paper tiger that season, but I'll point to another team for comparison's sake. Back in '98, I believe Kansas State resided in the top 5 for most of the season. At the point where we played that team in the Big 12 title game, they were ranked either #1 or #2, depending on the poll. They played like they belonged for the first 3 quarters, but I think when they found out about the UCLA loss to Miami, they thought they had that game in the bag. They were up by 14 points IIRC, and they discounted A&M. Of course, we all know what happened next.

The comparison is in what happened next. This KSU team was one that truly believed it belonged in the NC game. The Aggies denied them that. Further insult was added by dropping all the way to the Alamo Bowl, and not playing particularly inspired ball against Purdue, where they lost.

Was KSU exposed? Perhaps, but if they had held on against A&M, they would have played for it all. Likewise A&M in '75, which I believe after that devastating loss and being dropped from the NC game in the Sugar Bowl (?), bypassed the Cotton Bowl and fell all the way to the Liberty Bowl, just went through the motions and lost an ugly game.

[This message has been edited by Cinco Ranch Aggie (edited 3/29/2010 6:35a).]
biglebowski
FRAN
Boots over Delaware
AG
Witnessed in person? 77-0.
agnatgas
AG
1974 update - Ags lost to SMU and tu

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/tam-m-footbl-1974-stats.html

Baylor went 6-1

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tex/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/records_swc.pdf
The Wiz
quote:
Mowdy Ag wrote: "The Ags had also thoroughly beaten #5 tu (who had thoroughly beaten Arkansas earlier) for the first time in eight years in what may have been the most exciting game played at Kyle to that time."

Thoroughly beaten . . . really? Well, if losing 24-18 and having the ball in your possession when time ran out is getting beat "thoroughly", then what the Hogs did to the Ags is . . . what? An Ax murder?

[This message has been edited by The Wiz (edited 4/7/2010 11:44a).]
hellapark
AG
77-0 was an abortion of a game.
But what really got me was Tceh in 2006. It was opening day of bowseason. I watched the first half then climbed in a tree stand and made my gf text me updates every 5 minutes.
After the mark dodge "interception" she told me we had won. A few minutes later after review the play was overturned and we lost on a bomb a few seconds later. I thought we had won but when I got back home that night I found out we lost.
I was pretty pissed.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
when jackie left
Mowdy Ag
AG
Wiz - the sips took the ball away from the Hogs EIGHT TIMES and had them down 17-3 going into the fourth quarter.

That's pretty thorough. Arky was very lucky to make it as close as it was.

Axe murder? Don't know about that but it felt like it that night in Little Rock.

What's your point?

MA
Palooza11
AG
so far in my time here it has been:

1. losing to arkansas state
2. losing to baylor
3. going to overtime with fresno state
RIP
Being down 59-0 to Kansas State in 35 minutes is worse than all of those.
Palooza11
AG
damn...forgot about that one...thanks..
windmill.1
AG
Zack Thomas pick-6 in Lubbock, ending the undefeated in conference streak.
I still say we should have run the ball.
Aggie
AG
quote:
3. going to overtime with fresno state

wow...#3 on your list of "worst Aggie moments is a triple overtime WIN at Kyle

your lucky..I wish that would be on my list...but after attending Aggie football games for over 20 years road and home..we have definatly seen some heartbreakers and had our fair share of faceplam moments

however

IMO no games have set our program back as much as the
1991 loss at Tulsa - win that game and a MNC was a realistic possibility ..and we led 28-0 at the half.
1991 and 1994 loss in cotton Bowls - a 10-2 loss to Florida State and 24-21 loss to Notre Dame - both huge opportuniites to make statment wins against very good team- we gave the game away against FSU with mistakes and turnovers...against ND we played a hell of a game and came up just short..Leeland would still be running if the lateral was 3 inches lower
1995 at Colorado - ranked #3 and came up short against #7 Buffs...win that game and who knows..we spiraled out of control after that game and ended up losing 3 including at Tech the next weekend..SMU nearly beat us at Kyle the week after that then lost to texas at Kyle.

many others..epecially blowouts on the road..unfortunaly I sat thru many of those
wildcat08
AG
Probably not in the memory of anyone posting here, but another game which probably cost us a national championship was the 1940 7-0 loss to tu. National champs the year before, undefeated up until that game--could have gone back-to-back. Perhaps it wasn't a program changer, because I'm guessing a little thing called WWII changed everyone's programs pretty shortly, but still...
Triple S
S
Hands down..............It was when Greg Hill got us put on probation for the 94 season.

F that dude........

"I'm going to the University of Texas A&M" -- Martellus Bennett 1-31-2005
koadie
AG
As an Aggie, I would have to say last years tu game... we had a shot to knock them off.... and couldn't.

Before I came to school, the OU game that was at Kyle a couple years ago we should have won, but let the running back get like 100 yards in the first quarter.
beefisbest
"63" loss to tu letting them win the nat'l championship. A stupid lateral and a terrible ref call cost us the game.
"75" loss to Ark. We had beaten tu and our running back Bubba Bean was featured on the front of Sports Illustrated.
The latest one was our Alamo Bowl loss to Penn St when we could not score from 2 yard line.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.