Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What A&M needs to do TODAY

33,712 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by SiValleyAg68
Citizen Reign
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mizzou and Kansas need to go the Big10 right now!
Jim Benson 63
AG
Biggest problem I have is that essentially the same people, or people with the same mindset, will be making this decision who made the decision to fire RC in 2002 and that decision set us back at least 5 years.

A wrong decision here has implications for the next 20 years or more.
LB12Diamond
AG
If the SEC really wants us they need to step up like the Big 10 and help pay the buyout.

Great2BeAnAGGIE
AG
I will wait to see what happens...
But I have a feeling that tu will NOT do what is best for the "league" but what is best for them...they have always done that.
Therefore this "TV" money will not be spread around to keep the league strong as they have done in the PAC and SEC.

Big 12-2 - same song same dance
xfactor91
Wait? We need to bolt the TU conference.

brownbrick
AG
The big problem I have with any ESPN deal:

THEY DON'T HAVE THE AIRTIME TO GET US TELEVISED!!!

Think about all the other conferences they have deals with, all that would mean would be espn paying us lots of money to show tu v. someone else every week and maybe one other game from the Big 12*.

We would still never be televised and tu would still be on tv every week.

The SEC is still the only viable long term option for us, I hope the BOR feels the same way.
megbq99
I am getting nervous....
ham98
the leadership has/will failed us...........again
Na Zdraví 87
AG
All of this makes me HATE the sips even more. I cannot stand those arrogant arseholes!!!!!
I want us to get away from those m#$%erf#$%%rs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woggerr06
AG
quote:
If the SEC really wants us they need to step up like the Big 10 and help pay the buyout.

Am I the only one that doesn't think this is a big deal? If nothing else is standing in our way of going to the SEC, there will be some way for us to pay this (some combo of donors/loans/SEC $$).

Heck, since the money from an SEC contract is so much more than what we're making with the Big XII right now, why not get them to forward the money now and take it out of our paycheck over then next couple of years?

Point is if we need to, we could find some way to pay it.
agsalaska
AG
Did someone say our leadership had a 4:00 meeting?
BlueTeam02
I would rather do the work to consistently beat them.

We can't compete with the SEC.

They have much lower GPR standards, they can recruit an athlete that can't get into Blinn. Making that move not only makes us the whipping boys of the SEC, but also lowers the academic standards for the entire university.

Form our own network and we won't have to worry about TV money from ABC, CBS, or ESPN, with our own network we can start making our own money (see what the Big 10 did - and they only had 1 good team)

tcfitz3
AG
IMHO we look pretty good having sat quietly and listened and listened and working out a deal that gets us a lot of guaranteed money, a chance to succeed, and to protect our recruiting turf.

If Beebe actually has a signed network deal, then it covers his past sins. We're better all hanging together, and I for one am happy with this.

All you SEC bandwagon folks are being blinded by football and not considering the externals, which are significant and negative for A&M.

PLEASE REMEMBER that tu has a larger alum base than we do, though over time that differential will erode. When I graduated in '71, A&M had only 15000 students and tu already had 50K. We've been catching up but it will take a while.

This shouldn't be about what they do but about what is best for us, and I think our leaders have done that.
bhaynes23158
Blueteam02 - "They have much lower GPR standards, they can recruit an athlete that can't get into Blinn. Making that move not only makes us the whipping boys of the SEC, but also lowers the academic standards for the entire university."

Joining the SEC in no way diminishes A&M's academic standards. Honestly, you really think that A&M's standards DROP because of who their football team happens to play against?

Huh? Whaaa?

[This message has been edited by bhaynes23158 (edited 6/14/2010 4:56p).]
Texaggie7nine
quote:
All you SEC bandwagon folks are being blinded by football and not considering the externals

We don't have what it takes to survive in the SEC unless we can get to the FOOTBALL IS ALL THAT MATTERS attitude. That is what it takes.

baitianrong
We do have a shot in the SEC becuase it is a great recrutiing sell point.

If it were not such a good sell pOint Tu would not care where we went and would have already announce a move to pac.
peacedude
AG
Time to step up Big Money Ags. If you own your own successful business, send the athletic department your desire to advertise on The Texas A&M Network. Buccee's, Rudy's, regional businesses, etc. There is enough of a fan-base for it, and we could add money with other advertisers from elsewhere nationally. I'd subsribe in a heartbeat to get to watch more pro-Aggie commentators broadcast the sports we expect to be Aggie-leaning, but which always seem to get the longhorn shift.
ham98
ALL of the horns maneuverings right now are designed to hurt the Aggies. No scenario hurts their long term financial dominance. They don't want us by ourselves in the SEC and are willing to take some minor hits to their plan to make it happen. Wake the eff up BOR!!!
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Got news for you Billy. ESPN News has said if tu pulls off holding the remainder of the Big XII together, THEY will be seen as the savior, not us.

It's time to go and stop supporting tu with their "vision" of a tu network a la ND. The only reason they want to hold it together is for their own selfish benefit, not ours. Our regents need to see this for what it is. They chased off the only real north competition in NU so they only have to beat OU and the alsorans to play for an MNC every year.

It is time for us to declare for the SEC if we really are serious about football.

[This message has been edited by Ishmael-Ag (edited 6/14/2010 5:14p).]
EVA3
AG
quote:
The north was always the weaker sister in the Big 12, they knew they had no chance to compete against Texas (the state, not tu) recruits so they had to take care of theirs. So long, farewell, who cares...

Funny because when the Big XII formed, everyone said the south could not compete with Nebraska and Colorado.
AnalogyAg
I respectfully disagree with you, Liucci, on these two points/grounds:

1. If we wait we play into the Longhorns' hand, because THEN all the pressure shifts to US. They craft a deal that's good for them, then WE are painted as the ones that can save or destroy the Big 1+9. There would be pressure from lawmakers, other schools and AD, national and local media, etc.... It would saddle us with that for decades if we went SEC.

Better to commit earlier.

2. Any "fix" the 'sips come up with is only a temporary bandaid, and one that is designed to give them complete leverage of their own t.v. network- a deal that will further separate us and them, until the whole thing blows up and we hope and pray an SEC conf will still let us in- one that probably will be 16 teams at that time and not interested.

We need to strike NOW while we have an incredibly good offer from the most stable conference in the land, NOT play games with t.u. and fall further into the abyss.

I'm shocked that you don't see it this way!
EVA3
AG
We should announce now but I guess the regents have to meet first, with proper notice.

If t.u. comes out tomorrow and says they are staying in the Big XII-2, then we will either (a) get the blame for the implosion, or (b) be stuck in the Big XII-2.

PLEASE GOD LET US BE LEAVING FOR THE S.E.C.!
ToddyHill
AG
A&M needs to do the right thing which is to leave for the SEC today! Let Texas spew their garbage they held the Big 12-2 together until A&M bolted. If we stay we'll be Texas' second fiddle for the next fifty years. This is our opportunity to establish our self in the best conference in America. I guarantee...in three years Texas will have realized they blew it. As a previous poster stated, it's time to really say "Goodbye to Texas University!" This time for good.
cajun190
I'm shocked you aggies are screwing around with this ... you keep stalling and your SEC offer is going to disappear, and so will Texas to the Pac-XX ... leaving you high and dry.
FullDraw
AG
herewegoagain, that's EXACTLY what I've thought. We make the deal, ESPN telvises tu every week. We get on tv twice a year. Brilliant!
roboag
AG
Didn't $Bill get hired for his out of the box thinking like having our own network?
The Chicken Ranch
AG
If we stay in the XII, then our leadership is worthless and we will always be tu's lapdog.

This is getting tiresome. We need to go to the SEC now.
stonesummit1
I am still a believer that our leadership will do the right thing and go to the SEC! It is our best chance to truly become a national power and a true rival for tu, even in the tsips minds. Our marketing package with the SEC will invigorate young and old AGs alike, ticket sales will skyrocket, along with marketing budget and recruiting.

We will be more than competitive in the SEC by 2012 and the tsips will want to continue the rivalry and even respect us much more by then they do now.

I really do not care what tu thinks, but they certainly have a leg up in marketing and recruiting now and that will not change if we stay with the Big 12-2.

It WILL change as we join and flourish with our own identity in the SEC. LETS GO NOW!!! Gig'em
West Point Aggie
AG
quote:

I am still a believer that our leadership will do the right thing and go to the SEC! It is our best chance to truly become a national power and a true rival for tu, even in the tsips minds. Our marketing package with the SEC will invigorate young and old AGs alike, ticket sales will skyrocket, along with marketing budget and recruiting.

We will be more than competitive in the SEC by 2012 and the tsips will want to continue the rivalry and even respect us much more by then they do now.

I really do not care what tu thinks, but they certainly have a leg up in marketing and recruiting now and that will not change if we stay with the Big 12-2.

It WILL change as we join and flourish with our own identity in the SEC. LETS GO NOW!!! Gig'em

You're gonna leave bloody claw marks aren't ya? Let it go...it'll hurt less in the long run...
dodgeman
I don't want to play behind tu and ou for ever!
Let's get out and try to grow.
peacedude
AG
Texas University to stay in Big-12 (10) according to ESPN. Time to go to the SEC, if those a-h*oles don't trump us while we're sleeping. Now. Not tommorow. Now.
TRIDENT
AG
If we don't go to the SEC now, we will miss our chance to change our future. This is on par for Texas A&M with James Rudder allowing females into our university. Huge decision and will have major implications for many years. If Rudder had chosen to keep A&M male only, we would now be a shadow of what he have become and accomplished. Same deal here.
jlAG97
Yep, gotta decide it now...especially that now all the offers are on the table (Pac 10's, Big 12's, and SEC). We got all the info we need, so make the call! Should have done it earlier this morning, then that would have forced tu's hand....but decide it this evening and announce it before the tu BOR makes an announcement tomorrow!

C'mon A&M BOR, don't fall for these TV dollars that the B12 is suddenly throwing around, lets go take some lumps (and grow strong from it) in the much more stable SEC!
peacedude
AG
Now we're staying according to ESPN (6:16pm). That must be SOME sweet money deal for us to (according to the Texas fluffers at ESPN) stay JUST because Texas led the way for us.

Looks like the BOR made the decision to be always be second fiddle to tu. That being the case, anything less than 9 wins and an ON-CAMPUS BONFIRE this year, or it's no more money to A&M from my bank account. Ever.
KatyAg88
dichotomic and nbbob nailed it. We are fools if we do not go SEC now. If we don't, in a few years down the road this WILL happen again and we will be on the outside (Mountain West) looking in. I pray that our leadership shows some guts to chart it's own course into future success. BIG 12 II would be foolish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.