Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What A&M needs to do TODAY

33,700 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by SiValleyAg68
jkctax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't believe you guys blinked....No way you had an offer to join the SEC without Texas or OU. I am convinced of it now more than ever.
Jelly Bean
It's official. A&M staying in the Big XII-2
jkctax
Actually, I can believe it.
Texaggie7nine
quote:
No way you had an offer to join the SEC without Texas or OU. I am convinced of it now more than ever.

I wish that was the case. However I do not think tu would have withdrawn from the PAc 10 offer if we didn't have a solid offer to SEC. Why else would they backtrack?

dcbowers
AG
A few things need to be clarified:

1. Where is all of this money to the Little XII coming from? ESPN? (doubt it...) CBS? NBC? Fox Sports Southwest? Versus? HGtv?

2. If we've got all this money on the table now, where was it last year? And what guarantees do we have it will be here 10 years from now?

3. A non-negotiatable condition of any consideration to stay in the Little XII should be EQUAL revenue sharing with tu. (I don't care about Baylor and Tceh). This includes any school network. Any objection to this demand should send us out the door.

4.I don't have any loyalty to this Little XII. I bet it dissolves in the next couple of years, if not sooner. A&M should do what is in the best interest of A&M.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TAMUAGGIES
Typical Aggie foozeball Athletics....getting our arse whipped on the field and by our own A.D.

In all reality, keeping the BIG XII (the first/second best conference in the country) is better for the college football landscape. Either way, I'm not surprised we are following our d-bag brother in austink.
AgBlitz
AG
How do we know that the rumored official/unofficial SEC offer wasn't yanked at some point today shortly after TU stated their intention to remain in the Little 12, leaving us (possibly by design) with no other choice but to remain as well?
DryBeanAg
I dont think that staying in the Big 12/Big 10 is a great idea, because at that point we will become exactly what people call us, t.u.'s stepchild. All these promises the commish made wasn't for the confrence's benefit, it was for t.u.'s benefit. We aren't going to see a dime of a t.u.t.v. deal (not that I would want to). I just don't see this, in any way, as "THE BEST THING FOR A&M". If anything this will do nothing, but hurt us further down the road in recruiting and money. I truly don't believe that we need t.u. in our realm of decisions. Yes, they have been a great part of our history/traditions, but just as some of A&M's brass has done with some of our other traditions they should consider to blindly cast them aside and move on to "THE BEST THING FOR A&M".
Johnny Z
AG
i don't know...grow a pair?
jkctax
They backtracked because the little 12 is a better deal for Texas financially and allows them to continue their domination of Texas recruiting. In short it buys them time without hurting their advantage. Plus, it allows them to take the moral high ground (e.g. they will get to calim they held the conference together)

I think we all know that the Little 12 is probably untenable in the long run, but now Texas gets to further shore up its revenue domination (via a larger TV contract (even if Beebe's numbers are BS) and further develop its own network) so that next time realignment rears its ugly head, it can dictate more of its own terms to the Pac-10 or otherwise. I can't see the PAC-10+ being better off in the next couple of years than it is now, expecially since USC is going to suffer for a while.
Dusty_Dawg_Ag
S
I disagree with Billy on this. We do not have the position of power anymore, tu is gaining momentum. Billy says we can always "fall back on the SEC"? Oh really, no way the SEC leaves that offer out there forever. Guaranteed money in the SEC versus being the little biotch sister of tu for another 100 yrs? Right...sure let's just wait this out while tu reloads and gets the politicians involved FORCING us to take more tu crap. I have been disappointed that Billy seems to be sucking up to this Little 10 idea, or waiting idea. If we had JUMPED on SEC while the media was reporting tu, ou, and the kids were going to packfest, we would already be through with this nonsense. We waited too long, SEC will say see ya as they re-adjust their thinking. tu will reload, after a couple of years in Little 10 (Which will not command money equal or even close to SEC) they will make another run and we again will be the little biotch sister. We had a chance to make the right choice, and we blew it. We deserve all the crap tu fans spew our direction. GD this chit gets friggin old! Now we have our own endorsing this insane scenario of waiting? waiting longer? Sorry SEC, we don't deserve to play within a real conference!
Bucketrunner
Beebe should be fired!
dnvnmrgn
A&M should have taken the chance to be able to out recruit tu and ou with membership in the SEC! But no!!! Looks like austin gets to call the shots again. Why would you not want to get out of tu's shadow, and blaze a trail for future Ags. as a relevant program on the national scene again? WHYYYY?!?! This makes me sooo sick that A&M could have set a new course and qiut following freakin tu like the lil brother. We can't recruit w/ tu and ou in this conference!!! Hey, I bet Fran is looking for a job Byrne. I'll never watch another game again. What a pathetic bunch of followers my beloved Aggie leaders have turned out to be. Hey, maybe the best thing is to wait and see what the sips will do and it has to be in our best interest as well. (sarcasm) IDIOTS!
AggieLapdog
dnvnmrgn
Who are these Dumb a's loyal to? Can someone please explain that to me? What should have been done yesterday? Now you say to wait and see what the whorns do? Power moves don't wait around for table scraps they forge the process! Maybe jakctax is right that we weren't invited to the
Roman Empire
AG
If it was so damn easy to push the conference TV payout over $200M, why didn't Beebe do it a long time ago? Maybe we wouldn't be in athletic debt. Oh well, as long as UT gets to increase its control over us, it's all good.
bonkers1
When all is said and done, whatever Texas does
we follow. We had an opportunity to stand on our own and join an elite league and blew it. The Big 12 has gotten the revenues increased but at the end of the day, its all about Texas and thats it, and that is why they get most of the pie.
Frankie T
quote:
the Ags could play this perfectly if they wait. That's it. Wait.

I hope this is exactly what we're doing. We still are saying we might join the SEC as a "last resort" and nothing is in writing yet. I hope this is all just window dressing so we can say we tried to save the conference before leaving for the SEC.

If not this will be the most disappointing A&M moment I've experienced in the 27 years I've followed Aggie football.
sullys76er
While everyone is in a shifting mood, why dont we get rid of Iowa State or Baylor and add TCU. You know they would jump at the opportunity. That would add another solid football school to an already tough division.
notheranymore
So, will the Big 12/10 add new members? The piggies?
verouchi
Aggie fan... this was a bad move... why don't y'all rename the conference to the University of Texas and its Beotches... I know y'all call them Texas University... I actually do like A&M... I was looking forward to having the Aggies in the SEC. Nothing was fixed by A&M staying in the Big12... Texas still rules the conf. what they say goes... the money they will get from their tv deal will only put everyone else even further behind... in the mean time the SEC will just get stronger.

THE SEC HAULIN THE HARDWARE CONSECUTIVELY FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS
verouchi
Mack Brown wishlist
1- No conf championship game (check)
2- Control the entire conf (check)
3- Get a better deal (check)

along with a bunch more...

wow...

Texas A&M held all the cards and they pissed it away...

AUTigerFan1976
The Big XII shall hence forth be labeled:
The Big 1+9

Because that is exactly what it is. One school + 9 of its satellite programs.

t.u. the only school rich enough to afford it's very own conference.
bama greg
Hey guys,

Hello from a Alabama fan in Birmingham Al! SEC fans are thrilled you guys considered joining the SEC and sad it is not going to work out. Maybe one day it will. I think your refusal to go west basically was like taking a piss in the Longhorns beer. Don't let them spin it in any other way. You took that sucker by the horns and told them to kiss your ass. You would definately had been a fit and a real asset to the SEC and another rival for LSU and Arkansas. I was hoping we got yall and Vtech because you both have good basketball, baseball and football programs and excellent academic credential. God Bless and Go Aggies!
Bama Greg

Bama Greg
ashley
It is up to pull even with Texas, not theirs to come down to our level. We need to fight to get better. We are staying, get over it and improve. I have never seen such give up in my life. We could not win in the Big 12 so we were going to run and conquer the SEC. How ridiculous.

[This message has been edited by ashley (edited 6/14/2010 8:22p).]
etexas
I feel so proud being in cahoots with those shets. The other schools are going to love us.
jkcpow
AG
buy a premium subscription? Ha! this guy obviously knows nothing worth paying for
Adam87inSA
AG
Every school but t.u. and ou left in this "conference" is waiting to get their throat cut. This conference is doomed no less than the SWC post-Arkansas. Dead man walkin'.
Agnzona
LiUcci, you forgot to add that we must do whatever Texas tells us to do!
AgDad1
Hard cold fact is that under Big 12 formula we have been recruiting behind TU and OU. SEC could have made recruiting huge for us and much harder in state for both the others. Sad day. Will need a little time to regroup.
rhutton125
AggieFox
When the rumor was sent around saying that
t.u., Oklahoma, Okie State, and Tceh were
all leaving for the PAC10, I was torn on
the SEC thing. But after some thought, I
came to the conclusion that the SEC would
be a better fit for us because:
1. The better people you play, the better you get.
2. There are more "renown" teams in the SEC
than the PAC10.
3. If aTm was good enough to play in a bowl
game, we wouldn't have to face an SEC team.

Nebraska's departure now kinda sucks.

The rumor of inviting BYU to the Big12-2 is
hopefully just a rumor; everyone knows I hate
BYU......loathe, hate, loathe, hate.

Texas A&M girls are the best!
Old Sarge
AG
Gents and Ladies,

We just signed on for mediocrity for the forseable future.

And we will get to watch the TU network to boot.

Recruit against that!

Disgusting.
DNC
The sad fact is that "someone" does not have the cajones to tell tu, the Gov, or whomever to shove it. A&M needs to be the leader and go to the SEC!
SiValleyAg68
AG
I cannot believe some of the ridiculous arguments for going to the SEC.

1. Better recruiting? wrong - it opens Texas to more more poaching by ALL SEC, not just l$u.

2. Playing better teams makes you better? Well, lets get a winning record first. If the Big12 isn't as good as SEC, then why haven't we beat them all?

3. If we stay, then we're just pandering to tu. Well, if we go to SEC for that reason, then we're just running away from tu. The hell with tu - we should decide to go or stay for our own reasons.

Just get a grip!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.