Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What A&M needs to do TODAY

33,714 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by SiValleyAg68
Cannonball Craig III
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The grip I would like to get is on the throat of Loftin and the members of the BOR who went along with all this crap.
Amazing Moves
Looch Almighty. Savior of Aggie Sheep. The Aggie faithful deserve every sheep joke.

[This message has been edited by Amazing Moves (edited 6/15/2010 3:14a).]
VegasTide
Hey Guys - Bama fan here... I'm sure you'll probably see us SEC folks slowly dwindle away because of this news. Even after everything has settled down, I'm sure that aTm to the SEC would have been a great move for both the SEC and aTm.

Our Bama board is basically saying the same thing: "We really feel sorry for the aTm fans." The only thing at this point that can change anything is public opinion. You guys need to make some signs and start marching. I seriously can't believe all this has happened. Well, I kinda can by no fault of your own.

Look at the facts:
(1) UT gets its own network & tons more $$$.
(2) UT has to beat 1 elite team per year to get to the NCG.
(3) Nebraska was starting to re-emerge, they're gone.
(4) Also, with Nebraska gone, your conference became a 2 team race.

Seriously, I hope you guys get good and get good quick. To be honest, as of last year and watching a few A&M games, I felt you were on your way up. Hope I'm right. If nothing else, beat UT next year. I, along w/ my Alabama contingent, will be rooting for you. Roll Tide.
ssolari94
ZoneClubber
AG
quote:
Just wait and make the right decision. Leave no doubt.

ag_eet
AG
The way many of you sound you should just withdraw from Texas A&M and matriculate to LSU!!! Then your priorities will be satisfied:
1. You'll be in the SEC.
2. You won't have to be afraid of t.u. anymore.
mtjoy
We'll always have 1939. But that's about it.
88jrt06
AG
eg-et

also,

3) We won't have to study, anymore, either.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Boy I sure am glad we waited this out and didn't jump into anything stupid.
Carrot34
I cannot believe you guys are so chicken hearted. What I see is a situation where we only need to beat tu and ou to go to the big dance. We can do that and will do that so quit whining and saying we can never be a good team again. You make me laugh. WE WILL. If we don't beat them then it would make no difference what conference we are in.
SouthTexAg13
Solari sighting!

and btw IMO, Looch should post some kind of reply since he started this thread.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Failing to make a decision by waiting on others, in itself is making a decision. We basically declared ourselves as followers. We might make good money for a year or two, but We did not put ourselves in a good position for the future.
BobReb
Well, I've read through this topic, and agree with most that has been said. In a way, I'm happy the Big ? is staying together, but ie should have been minus one more team.
Your AD and Commish should have jumped the gun anyway. And anybody that says you wouldn't compete over here is full of it. Every team will have it's good and bad rolls (see Bama and look at Tenn right now) but you always bounce back.
Wish we'd have gotten you, and hope in the future we will. Stage a million man walk, or something?
I still believe that if you would accept we would bite.
RGLAG85
AG
quote:
I cannot believe some of the ridiculous arguments for going to the SEC.

1. Better recruiting? wrong - it opens Texas to more more poaching by ALL SEC, not just l$u.

2. Playing better teams makes you better? Well, lets get a winning record first. If the Big12 isn't as good as SEC, then why haven't we beat them all?

Make no mistake, here is the scenerio that played out.
1. tu thought it could lead us. blow u, okie lite, the tards and ralfie to the Pac 10 and keep their Tx. recruiting dominance and get a larger tv payout.
2. when our powers met with their powers they began to realize that we were not in their pocket and we even presented them with a way to salvage our conf. that meant equal sharing.
3. tu realized that if they, and the other 4 went to the pot smoking, left leaning, liberal west coast, we would gain a recruiting advantage in the state of Tx. because we could sell the fact that we played in the no.1 football conf. in the land. Yes, it would have opened up more Tx. recruiting to the SEC, but don't underestimate the power of playing close to home in the most powerful conference to recruits. tu couldn't handle this fact.
4. tu got with bebee and said we want to keep this thing together and you keep a job. tu realizes their only chance to negate the recruiting advantage is to bandaid this league while they can figure out their next move. Blow u was going nowhere without tu and the other little sisters would follow suit (throw us a bone, any bone.)
5. by this move, tu could save face and with their spin machine and media darling status, could come off as the savior of the conf. (eventhough this was never their intent until they ralized ATM was flipping the finger at them)
6. tu got with blow u and convinced them that without a conf. championship, which they both hated, we can up our chances of playing for the MNC ea. year. It's either you or us.
7. tu and blow u announce they are staying in the conf. with the rest of the little sisters and make us false promises of the big 3 equal sharing.
8. Our BOR and powers bite and cave. FAILURE!

What a disappointing day!

And... to answer the competing and recruiting against the SEC. Texas is arguably the best recruiting hot bed in the country (maybe Ca.). Better recruits means a better chance of competing. Make no mistake, for all the Arkie comparisons, Arkie lost their recruiting Tx. when they left for the SEC because they lost their Tx. tie(SWC). We wouldn't. With tu playing in a greatly percieved lessor conf., I would take my chances recruit against Fla., LSU or Ala. in our on state over recruiting agianst tu. The SEC produces more future NFL players than any other league. Not a hard sell to a young kid who thinks the NFL is in their future while they play in the best conf. in the land.

Thank you bin lauben!

[This message has been edited by RGLAG85 (edited 6/15/2010 12:25p).]
RGLAG85
AG
SEC meant instant credibility.
Bilbo Aggins
We may be there eventually. 16 team conferences are the future. The future was almost now.

With tu continuing to balk at the SEC, we will be their best bet after that.

In ten years or less it will be tu & A&M to the b10 or tu to the pac10 and A&M to the SEC.
ashley
I talked to one OU coach last Monday and two at Texas yesterday in person. They knew none of the details and certainy were not in the loop but none wanted to go West. They cited bad game times with terrible quick turnarounds, far too expensive for all sports. They talked about the crazy travel and just wanted to stay in the middle of the nation and continue traditions.
cblaschke
Ok, we have decided to stay in the Big XX. What ever it is going to be called.
What does this agreement entail? Have we signed a binding contract for some period of time?

Also, it has been reported that the team revenues will be going up. Is this because there are fewer teams to divide the pie or because the pie is now bigger?

If additional teams are added to the league, will the payout still increase?

Speaking of adding teams, who would be invited? TCU and Rice? All the old SWC teams?

Chris

[This message has been edited by cblaschke (edited 6/15/2010 3:15p).]
Marshall the Gator
You guys impressed me when you came to Jacksonville a few years ago for the basketball regionals. You would have been a real asset to our conference (SEC). You guys are right next door to Louisiana and that's always a great trip. A complement of y'all and Va Tech would be two passionate, quality schools added to our mix where we believe all members should be an "equal partner" in responsibility and revenue. If y'all leave the SWC crowd to join us, pretty soon you will benefit from being held in higher esteem than those you left behind.

Hopefully, the opportunity will come again. Best of luck with your neighbors with that faded urnge color (reminds us of Tennessee).
Dances with Hogs
Just a thought, your man says wait you can always fall back on the SEC, Iam not sure they will wait too long, take your time think about it but make the smart move and come east, see you in Dallas.
jeepdriver54
AG
Byrne is part of a conspirancy to help Nebraska get out clean.
ccf57arl
Come on Lucci, be man enough to admit you gave us bad advice. Or, when should we announce we are are going to the SEC. Seems if you don't "strike when the iron is hot", you won't achieve the prize.
MidTnAg
AG
We should add TCU & Rice and kick out KU, K State, Iowa State, Missouri, OU, and Oklahoma State.
njohn87
AG
We're not adding anybody.
Roby89
We'll be in one of the super conferences soon.

88jrt06
AG
RGLAG85-

Brilliant synopsis!

Your post should be a separate topic. It's that good.

I believe that's EXACTLY HOW it went down, right down to Dick Justice, et al, getting their media ears scratched. Here boy.....

Well done, sir. I think you nailed it.
CrownNSprite
AG
I didn't want to stay in the Big12 initially, but seriously, how is this statement wrong?
quote:
I cannot believe you guys are so chicken hearted. What I see is a situation where we only need to beat tu and ou to go to the big dance. We can do that and will do that so quit whining and saying we can never be a good team again. You make me laugh. WE WILL. If we don't beat them then it would make no difference what conference we are in.
chilidogfood
AG
Because we will still be in their shadow in terms of recruiting. There is no guarantee that OU/tu will always be strong enough for the BCS to give us a ticket to the big dance with a perfect winning record.
Bayou Bengal
{LSU}

RGLA - good points.

It would have been nice to have LSU, Bama, Tenn, UF, UGA, etc coming to Kyle Field and vice-versa.

As for an easier road to the MNC with this new structure, I doubt that seriously. I think the credibility of the conference took a huge hit during the last two weeks as well as TU and TU-Norman. The out-of-conference schedule will matter more now than it did prior to your new alignment. Even TU fans are saying that they'll have to drop North Texas, ULL, and FIU off their schedule.
shulaball
diamond4
I would not worry about getting out of t.u.'s shadow for they will always be 90 miles away. We get out of their shadow by beating them. When we start beating t.u and OU we will have national creditability as they are at the top of their game. With a victory over either one every year and undefeated play against the other 7, and with a non conference schedule against Ark., USC and Oregon, we will have all we want. We won't have to worry about the massive cheating that goes on in the SEC and low academics. You might have liked the movie "The Blind Side" but no matter how much Michael Orr or one like him might have wanted to come to A&M, he would never have been allowed in school. Almost every kid like him gets in out of H.S. or the JC ranks in the SEC. We would be screaming about having to play against them. In addition, every away conference game would have been a significant road trip versus the comparative ease of getting to Norman, Waco, Austin and Stillwater. When we start winning 10+ games a year our money will be the same so I have no trouble that right now with them getting a few more million than us. I will believe their personal TV package when I see it, because no school can keep fresh material for 24/7. In addition we can start our own if we want. It would make much more sense for schools to combine that kind of programing and not replicate production costs.

When you do better you deserve more. We have two mountains to climb in the new Big 12 -OU and t.u. In the SEC you would have to climb over LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Ga. Tenn and Florida. That is three times the difficulty to get to the top where we want to go, and where we believe we belong.

[This message has been edited by diamond4 (edited 6/16/2010 11:46p).]
SiValleyAg68
AG
Bayou Bengal,
quote:
As for an easier road to the MNC with this new structure, I doubt that seriously. I think the credibility of the conference took a huge hit during the last two weeks as well as TU and TU-Norman.
Why would “the credibility of the conference take a huge hit during the last two weeks”? EVERYbody who votes in BCS knows it was all about money. The Big 12 schools (that stayed) got more money (allegedly), so what credibility took a hit? The actual teams weren’t affected (hopefully). They should still be just as good as they were going to be.

Some people who were “thinking outside the box” forgot where the box is.

I agree with diamond4.
We just need to beat ou and tu.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.