Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bryce Gone

47,077 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by Faustus
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Playing oline is one of the most physically and mentally demanding positions in the sport. It requires working as a unit that other positions just don't have. Many former lineman and coaches will tell you players today aren't getting enough practice time these days all the way up to the pro level. So a college player taking the entire spring and part of the summer off is absolute killer.

This ain't a running back running sprints.
warrington74
AG
I really enjoyed watching him his freshman year. Then injuries really seem to hamper his ability to play football at that level. Thank you for playing football for the Aggies Bryce. You will always be one of the Texas fighting Aggie football team members. You'll always have that for the rest of your life. That's a family that will provide you many benefits in the future.
Slicer97
AG
NoahAg said:

LOL at "culture change." Elko is doing the same thing as every previous new Aggie HC since I've been alive. We'll see how much "culture" matters the first time he goes 7-5 and y'all start calling for his head.

As for Bryce, he didn't perform as we expected but there's no reason to pile on. He's just doing what the previous staff promised he could do: play 2 sports. We have a history of very successful 2-sport athletes, and it would be a mistake to force them to choose one or the other.

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.
None of those guys performed poorly while being the signal caller for the weakest unit on the team.

Like Furlock said, this ain't like a sprinter who also plays RB. If you're playing C and making the line calls, you need to be at spring ball.

Best of luck with his track career.
Bill Superman
AG
NoahAg said:

LOL at "culture change." Elko is doing the same thing as every previous new Aggie HC since I've been alive. We'll see how much "culture" matters the first time he goes 7-5 and y'all start calling for his head.

As for Bryce, he didn't perform as we expected but there's no reason to pile on. He's just doing what the previous staff promised he could do: play 2 sports. We have a history of very successful 2-sport athletes, and it would be a mistake to force them to choose one or the other.

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.
When did you ever see any previous HC coach come in and not just give lip service, but actually cut starters to make a point?
Ags77
AG
Schrute Farms said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Schrute Farms said:

Aggie*1982 said:

I have not seen anyone post this yet, but the 2024 Olympics is coming up. Does Bryce have a shot at the shotput?

He's currently ranked #12 in the SEC and would be around the Top 80-90 nationally with this season's throws. It would be a long shot to make the Olympics.

So you're saying there's a chance

Quite literally a long shot

UNDERATED POST
OrygunAg
AG
Sucks and I wish him well. T&F throws is something he obviously enjoys so I'm assuming he chose it over football in the end but im guessing that was extremely tough. He was obviously good enough to be a two sport scholarship athlete at D1 level which is something extremely rare.
agchugger
AG
Bill Superman said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.
When did you ever see any previous HC coach come in and not just give lip service, but actually cut starters to make a point?
Doesn't every coach do this? Play the best players? Bryce isn't the best player and we were looking to get better. You can talk about this as "culture change" but every new coach comes in, talks about changing the culture and plays the best players he thinks will help us win. Its stuff fans get behind. Its not earthbreaking.
CCAD AG
agchugger said:

Bill Superman said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.
Doesn't every coach do this? Play the best players? Bryce isn't the best player and we were looking to get better. You can talk about this as "culture change" but every new coach comes in, talks about changing the culture and plays the best players he thinks will help us win. Its stuff fans get behind. Its not earthbreaking.
But in this case, he is cutting a player, not just benching him. Elko is CUTTING him (reportedly) to free up the scholarship and not even keeping him on board for depth.
AG
agchugger said:

Bill Superman said:

NoahAg said:

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

I can't remember a 3 year starter being cut from the team before his senior year for performance reasons.

Off the field troubles, sure, but not for lack of performance.

And all coaches do not play the best players. You'd think it was that easy, but look no further than Jimbo for verification of this fact.
Sterling82
Without knowing the details, on the face of it, it looks like a D move. If he was allowed to come in after T&F and re-establish himself as a starter that would be good for the team. He should be given the opportunity. If not, we're no worse off. All he was doing was what he was told he could when recruited. I don't think he's a guy that should be crapped on just to set an example.
Whaler
AG
I just remember the game we had about 8 bad snaps. The game announcers said our team looked like we were at the start of spring training, not 3/4's through the season. Bryce may have had a hurt hand contributing to the lousy snaps. But whether it was injuries, splitting time between sports, or a combination thereof, we needed drastic improvement at the center position. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction. I wish Bryce the best.
CCAD AG
Sterling82 said:

Without knowing the details, on the face of it, it looks like a D move. If he was allowed to come in after T&F and re-establish himself as a starter that would be good for the team. He should be given the opportunity. If not, we're no worse off. All he was doing was what he was told he could when recruited. I don't think he's a guy that should be crapped on just to set an example.
If Jimbo was still the coach, I could see him honoring his promise and letting him come back after T&F ended. But in this case, Elko did not make the promise that he could be a 2 sport athlete. Additionally, with the change in coaching staff and offensive system, Bryce absolutely had to be there in the Spring. He chose to go with T&F and I "respect his decision". However, the team needed a center to learn the new system during the Spring and that guy needs to continue in the Fall. Unless Foster is just miles ahead of Nabou, the only spot I could see giving Foster would be on the bench for depth.
Ag_0112358132134
Sterling82 said:

Dude, no ****ing way. It's a new coaching staff installing a new offense. You can't just skip the entirety of spring practice and offseason team workouts under a new staff. He was rightfully cut.

Also, if he was told he could be a two sport athlete, he needed to hold up his end of the bargain and exert the effort to be a two sport athlete. He didn't. He was a track athlete who, in order to keep his scholarship, also showed up about mid-way through fall camp every year and bumbled around during games because Jimbo kept allowing it.

Football players must be focused on football and prepared to play football. He needed to go. It's best for all involved.
WC94
AG
You either love football or you don't, there is no in-between. He didn't. His choice, wish him well, he's still an Aggie.
A-A Ron
This is just the byproduct of the new era of CFB with NIL and the transfer portal. It may become increasingly difficult to be a two-sport athlete (not that it wasn't already). One of the out of sight out of mind while you are playing your second sport you may get passed up on the depth chart or a transfer may be brought in. If you are playing 2 sports you have to make every effort to make every practice you can when you are not practicing / competing with your second sport, which is kind of what it sounds like here with Bryce. I respect his decision and I understand 2 - 3 years of poor coaching could have soured him to football and figured "if I get cut or benched so be it" Granted injuries didn't help but there is probably a reason Conner decided to just stick with football instead of trying to both FB and Baseball vs split his focus and time to 2 sports.
90ags
dang thread title had me thinking why is Bryce A leaving when he had a great camp per Elko.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I enjoyed watching Bryce Foster play in his freshman year, but injuries hindered his ability to improve his performance. Thank you for 3 years of playing football for the Aggies. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

With that said, Mike Elko is transforming the culture. Playing O-line is one of the most physically and mentally demanding positions in football because it requires a tremendous amount of cohesion. Thus, for Bryce Foster to take the entire spring and part of the summer off is an absolute killer. If you don't practice or participate in the team activities, then you're gone. It's that simple.
soleta27
I doubt he gets a full scholarship as a men's field thrower. A lot to unpack with Foster's choices once he stepped on campus. If that's his true passion then who am I to judge his decision to make t&f his focus.
greg.w.h
AG
Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

Dude, no ****ing way. It's a new coaching staff installing a new offense. You can't just skip the entirety of spring practice and offseason team workouts under a new staff. He was rightfully cut.

Also, if he was told he could be a two sport athlete, he needed to hold up his end of the bargain and exert the effort to be a two sport athlete. He didn't. He was a track athlete who, in order to keep his scholarship, also showed up about mid-way through fall camp every year and bumbled around during games because Jimbo kept allowing it.

Football players must be focused on football and prepared to play football. He needed to go. It's best for all involved.
Meh. Generally two-sport athletes are superior athletes. Achane for instance. I'm not suggesting Foster contributed the way he should have.
Sterling82
Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

So, if Foster came back and earned a starting role, he should be cut anyway. There will be many O-linemen riding the pine this fall. I can't see how Bryce being one of them would be a detriment while, on the other hand, an experienced starter won't even get chance because he's been cut could be. All for the purpose of sending a message.
CrottyKid
AG
Is any of this confirmed or is it based on Liucci's comment that Nabou is our starting center right now?
Slicer97
AG
Sterling82 said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

So, if Foster came back and earned a starting role, he should be cut anyway. There will be many O-linemen riding the pine this fall. I can't see how Bryce being one of them would be a detriment while, on the other hand, an experienced starter won't even get chance because he's been cut could be. All for the purpose of sending a message.
It's entirely possible that Elko told him "Football or T&F. Pick one." and Bryce picked T&F.
Indianrider
cevans_40
AG
Sterling82 said:

If you are an NIL supporter, you can't be mad at this. (Not saying you are)

This is the business of college sports now.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Slicer97 said:

Sterling82 said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

It's entirely possible that Elko told him "Football or T&F. Pick one." and Bryce picked T&F.
I would imagine that's how the convo went. Elko sat him down and said I need a commitment from you this summer from end of May to August camp that it is football 100%. Foster likely said he wants to train for track and prep to try to get a spot in the Olympics and his workouts & weight would reflect that. Elko said "ok, good luck"
harge57
AG
CrottyKid said:

Is any of this confirmed or is it based on Liucci's comment that Nabou is our starting center right now?
Not listed here. '24 Roster
fla_agfan
Honestly, I think Addazio was his biggest problem... he never developed. Nor did any other o lineman while Addazio was here.
Slicer97
AG
fla_agfan said:

Honestly, I think Addazio was his biggest problem... he never developed. Nor did any other o lineman while Addazio was here.

Addazio was part of the problem, but I think Jimbo's blocking scheme was subpar as well. Henson sucked his first year but did really well in his second. He also left because he disagreed with Jimbo on some philosophical issues. I'm betting he adjusted his scheme that second year instead of teaching it the way Jimbo wanted it done.
SlobberKnock
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Slicer97 said:

Sterling82 said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

I would imagine that's how the convo went. Elko sat him down and said I need a commitment from you this summer from end of May to August camp that it is football 100%. Foster likely said he wants to train for track and prep to try to get a spot in the Olympics and his workouts & weight would reflect that. Elko said "ok, good luck"
Must be something along these lines. If I remember correctly he came in playing guard first. Not sure why we couldn't slip him in there and let him still do T&F. Of course O-line is an area that needs to see marked improvement this year so maybe its all hands on deck. Get in or move on situation. Even at guard he would be behind on learning the new system.
rootube
AG
cevans_40 said:

Sterling82 said:

If you are an NIL supporter, you can't be mad at this. (Not saying you are)

This is the business of college sports now.

You know players have been cut since the beginning of time right?

Wishing Brice the best of luck. He had some tough breaks in his football career with injuries. Seems like a great guy and a loyal Aggie.
SteveA
AG
Quote:

He was a highly ranked and regarded 5* center from Texas.
He was a 4* interior lineman that got moved to center.
Shooz in Katy
AG
Best wishes and God's speed in wherever God's path leads you, Bryce! Gig'Em and may your blessings abound, young man.
Hook63
Good luck Bryce and thanks. Momma Bryce and/or brother used to be active here. Maybe they can shed some light.
taylorswift13_
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Slicer97 said:

Sterling82 said:

Ag_0112358132134 said:

Sterling82 said:

you have to be top 24 in the country to compete at the Olympic trials, he's 63rd in the NCAA, and probably behind another 30/40 pros and a few high schoolers
MagnumLoad
Mono is rough. I think it probably weakened him in both sports. Gig 'Em Bryce.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.