Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bryce Gone

46,725 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Faustus
GigEmReggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bill Superman said:

Unemployed said:

Funny how he was never listed as a 5* when he committed to us by any of the services, but now that he's in the portal he's suddenly a previous 5* talent.
I think it's funny that you thought it was more likely that there was a conspiracy to inflate the rating of a former player than it was for you to misremember how he was rated by all the sites.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
GigEmReggie said:

Bill Superman said:

Unemployed said:

Funny how he was never listed as a 5* when he committed to us by any of the services, but now that he's in the portal he's suddenly a previous 5* talent.
I think it's funny that you thought it was more likely that there was a conspiracy to inflate the rating of a former player than it was for you to misremember how he was rated by all the sites.

https://247sports.com/player/bryce-foster-46037122/

Check out the "as a prospect" rating. He was not a 5 star and never was.
Injun77
Third year….not world class shot put….not even SEC class….,
Get your a$$ to football field and learn how to block d-linemen using 2 star moves that still get by you.
BCR
Ag_0112358132134 said:

agchugger said:

He's officially in the portal now. We can stop speculating. Sounds like he still wants to play football somewhere else.

I find this interesting. If he wants to focus on track over football, there is no reason for him to leave A&M's top ranked track program. If he wanted to play football, all he had to do was focus on football and participate in team practices and activities.

This tells me that he thinks he's entitled to devote most of his time to track and underperform in football, but still take up a football scholarship so he can keep getting free college and also keep football in his back pocket as a career option.

I do not wish him success at his next stop if it's at any major football program we compete with, and I'm glad Elko cut him.
I'm sure he's welcome to stay with the track team if his numbers are good enough. Football just isn't going to foot the bill for it. How is he rated with the other Aggie throwers.
ahpetty33
AG
Well the tweet is from Rivals and you are posting a 247 link, so there's that. Rivals had him as the number 15 player in the nation as a recruit
ajack76
Ag_0112358132134 said:

Bizarre that we gave him a football scholarship for three years. What a waste.

Also, Jimbo is an idiot for allowing the second most important player on his sacred offense to just not practice and not work out with the team for multiple years. How shocking that our offense was dysfunctional.
It is because Jimbo was all about recruiting and not developing. He let Bryce participate in track so he would come to A&M, fluffing up the recruiting ranking.
Faustus
ahpetty33 said:

Well the tweet is from Rivals and you are posting a 247 link, so there's that. Rivals had him as the number 15 player in the nation as a recruit
Yeah I checked too before I finished the thread. No. 5 in the state and No. 2 at his position.
Sterling82
Agvet12 said:

Sterling82 said:

YouBet said:

Sterling82 said:

It amazes me how critical some fans are. We're talking a highly ranked prospect that started and played well in the SEC as a true freshman…at a difficult position no less. Then struggled through injuries, mono and poor coaching to have a couple of poor years. Conclusion? He sucks!

If he goes somewhere else and flourishes (without spring football) and we end up needing a center it's all on Elko. His comments before spring training indicate to me it was a fait accompli, probably for messaging purposes which is a D move for a player in his final year. Elko should quit talking about what other Aggie programs are accomplishing if this reflects his real attitude toward them.

This is all illogical. Being a highly ranked prospect is irrelevant once you get here. You wouldn't keep an employee around just because they had a great resume when they weren't performing on the job.

You are also ignoring all of the other facts around this situation with his lack of commitment and publicly acknowledging it through words and action. Why would you waste a spot on a kid that you know is not committed and won't play anyway. We have needs elsewhere.

How many O-linemen do we have that started and played well as a true freshman? That is a testament to his ability. And it's not a lack of commitment to try to excel at two sports…that is commitment. Now, it's possible that he doesn't pull it off but his pursuit of those personal goals are for him to decide and if it doesn't work he sits on the bench with 50 other guys. So what!

If Elko had a problem with it perhaps he should have said so at the outset. But he didn't. Instead he groused about it publicly then used Foster as a publicity stunt to send a message after spring ball was over. It happens…Jimmy Johnson was a master at it. But it doesn't make it right.

Provide quotes of Foster saying he wasn't committed. I've heard nothing of the sort.

Lol dude just wanted to play in the fall and do none of the work in the offseason to keep his spot. It's that simple, and he hasn't shown up to spring ball in 2 - 3 years now?

lol at people that think he didn't need to commit time to T&F during T&F season. Just go over there and throw a shot a few times and get back to football practice. That's all he needed to do.
Wicked Good Ag
I think most people are forgetting that the arrangement he likley had when he committed was to be able to do both. If that was the arrangement then i dont have near as much problem with his level of priority to both sports

Ag_0112358132134
Sterling82 said:

Agvet12 said:

Sterling82 said:

YouBet said:

Sterling82 said:

It amazes me how critical some fans are. We're talking a highly ranked prospect that started and played well in the SEC as a true freshman…at a difficult position no less. Then struggled through injuries, mono and poor coaching to have a couple of poor years. Conclusion? He sucks!

If he goes somewhere else and flourishes (without spring football) and we end up needing a center it's all on Elko. His comments before spring training indicate to me it was a fait accompli, probably for messaging purposes which is a D move for a player in his final year. Elko should quit talking about what other Aggie programs are accomplishing if this reflects his real attitude toward them.

This is all illogical. Being a highly ranked prospect is irrelevant once you get here. You wouldn't keep an employee around just because they had a great resume when they weren't performing on the job.

You are also ignoring all of the other facts around this situation with his lack of commitment and publicly acknowledging it through words and action. Why would you waste a spot on a kid that you know is not committed and won't play anyway. We have needs elsewhere.

How many O-linemen do we have that started and played well as a true freshman? That is a testament to his ability. And it's not a lack of commitment to try to excel at two sports…that is commitment. Now, it's possible that he doesn't pull it off but his pursuit of those personal goals are for him to decide and if it doesn't work he sits on the bench with 50 other guys. So what!

If Elko had a problem with it perhaps he should have said so at the outset. But he didn't. Instead he groused about it publicly then used Foster as a publicity stunt to send a message after spring ball was over. It happens…Jimmy Johnson was a master at it. But it doesn't make it right.

Provide quotes of Foster saying he wasn't committed. I've heard nothing of the sort.

Lol dude just wanted to play in the fall and do none of the work in the offseason to keep his spot. It's that simple, and he hasn't shown up to spring ball in 2 - 3 years now?

lol at people that think he didn't need to commit time to T&F during T&F season. Just go over there and throw a shot a few times and get back to football practice. That's all he needed to do.

He was on a football scholarship. He should have focused sufficiently on football to perform competently on the field and help his team. He didn't. He deserves to be gone.
Josepi
AG
Bryce was graded as the 62nd best Center last season according to PFF

I'm sure Bryce is a good guy, from a good family, and a good Aggie. However, the facts are that he hasn't been a good football player the past couple of seasons and we decided to move on from him.

It's not that complicated.
Sterling82
Josepi said:

I'm sure Bryce is a good guy, from a good family, and a good Aggie. However, the facts are that he hasn't been a good football player the past couple of seasons and we decided to move on from him.

What was the incoming transfer rated? Did he miss games due to injury and a bout with mono?
Bill Superman
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

GigEmReggie said:

Bill Superman said:

Unemployed said:

https://247sports.com/player/bryce-foster-46037122/

Check out the "as a prospect" rating. He was not a 5 star and never was.
Be careful, these clowns have labeled flailing rivals as gospel all a sudden. The reality is he was a composite 4-star and has always been referenced as such… until he hit the portal of course.
Rule#2
AG
Some school is going to get duped thinking they won a 5 star prize in the portal
Josepi
AG
Sterling82 said:

Josepi said:

What was the incoming transfer rated? Did he miss games due to injury and a bout with mono?

Yes, Faaiu had a higher PFF grade than Bryce. Last season Foster gave up 7 QB hits which was tied for the most from a NCAA center. That's also considering he missed games.

I don't want to dog on Bryce. By all accounts his teammates liked him and he's a good guy. He just wasn't performing on the field.
AWP 97
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Let's not forget. He's still an Aggie and a great representative of our athletic department.

Let me play the Devil's Advocate and say he's not a great representative of our athletic department. Didn't he take a football scholarship and basically quit on the team by not doing what he needed to so he can stay on it. I'm pretty sure he could have played football and thrown the shot put, if he really wanted to. Shot put is an individual sport that he could have practiced at any time. He should have just told Elko that he didn't want to play football and that he was giving up his scholarship. Instead, he tried to take advantage of Elko like he did Fisher and Elko put a stop to it. Thank goodness!
Sterling82
Josepi said:

Sterling82 said:

Josepi said:

Yes, Faaiu had a higher PFF grade than Bryce. Last season Foster gave up 7 QB hits which was tied for the most from a NCAA center. That's also considering he missed games.

I don't want to dog on Bryce. By all accounts his teammates liked him and he's a good guy. He just wasn't performing on the field.

I hope it was much higher because everyone knows Foster wasn't at full strength last year. Yes, he was terrible but any fair assessment indicates his ceiling is much higher than what we saw last year. That's why I think it ill advised not to see how he developed through the fall.
Josepi
AG
What about the year before last? Because that was any better? How many years do you give him a pass?

And yes, I agree that his ceiling is higher, but how long do you allow a player to underachieve before you move on?
Bill Superman
AG
AWP 97 said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Let's not forget. He's still an Aggie and a great representative of our athletic department.

Let me play the Devil's Advocate and say he's not a great representative of our athletic department. Didn't he take a football scholarship and basically quit on the team by not doing what he needed to so he can stay on it. I'm pretty sure he could have played football and thrown the shot put, if he really wanted to. Shot put is an individual sport that he could have practiced at any time. He should have just told Elko that he didn't want to play football and that he was giving up his scholarship. Instead, he tried to take advantage of Elko like he did Fisher and Elko put a stop to it. Thank goodness!
This. There's no way that he couldn't come up with the time to practice/train for shotput of all things, especially since he seems to have a lot more potential on the football field.

Unfortunately, I don't see him turning around his football trajectory no matter where he ends up.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Bryce is a good kid, but the regression on the field year to year was noticeable. This is a win for everyone, and he can put focus into excelling at specific things vs trying to do everything
Azeew
Agvet12 said:

Sterling82 said:

YouBet said:

Sterling82 said:

With the end result being he didn't perform at football. That's who was paying for his college. Couldn't care less that he's leaving if he's not committed to the sport that's footing the bill.
Rectitude
AG
NoahAg said:

LOL at "culture change." Elko is doing the same thing as every previous new Aggie HC since I've been alive. We'll see how much "culture" matters the first time he goes 7-5 and y'all start calling for his head.

As for Bryce, he didn't perform as we expected but there's no reason to pile on. He's just doing what the previous staff promised he could do: play 2 sports. We have a history of very successful 2-sport athletes, and it would be a mistake to force them to choose one or the other.

Randy Matson
Dave Elmendorf
Curtis Dickey
Greg Porter
Achane

To name a few.

What you wrote may be correct but for clarification Randy Matson did not play football. He did T&F and basketball.
The Asset 07
AG
AWP 97 said:

fav13andac1)c said:

Take advantage is a bit of a stretch. Jimbo clearly allowed Bryce to do shot put as part of his recruitment. Elko, who already knew Bryce before, said something like "Bryce you're not good enough in football right now to do both so you have to choose or look elsewhere".
Lamar67
With all this discussions about Bryce, does anyone know how much he lacks getting his degree?
OldAggie_2
His recruiting commitment came right at the end of the cycle and was one of the last kids in his class.
Romello
Once an Aggie always an Aggie.

Next up.
TxAg76
AG
Agree that he needed to change, one way or another….but does anyone know what actually happened? And/or how that dialogue really went that prompted the move?
And whether it was Elko alone? Cushing? Maybe even Moffitt?
fieldtrailer
AG
usmcbrooks said:

So, no more short hops to Conner?

Saw several in the spring game.
DSAG
Next Year is the Year said:

As others have said, he showed a lot of potential early on, but it just didn't work out and I wish him the best.

Also, I just don't understand the shot put stuff. It's a strange and dated 'sport' and I have no idea why anyone would take time away from football to do that.

Foster was a blue chip 5 star out of high school that did not pan out for a number
of reasons including injury and "want to" .
As a high school senior he was considered can't miss .
Reports from the camps were that he was dominant against other highly rated lineman .
What a waste .
Hehateme1
Who are you to say this ??
AgsMyDude
AG
sus_agdawg said:

His recruiting commitment came right at the end of the cycle and was one of the last kids in his class.

He committed a whole 4 days after Shemar Turner and the same day as Tunmise. At least he signed in the early period unlike LJ Johnson.

Fisher was notorious for signing day commits. He always did it at FSU and it means nothing in this context.
Wurk
AG
Azeew said:

Agvet12 said:

Sterling82 said:

YouBet said:

Sterling82 said:

With the end result being he didn't perform at football. That's who was paying for his college. Couldn't care less that he's leaving if he's not committed to the sport that's footing the bill.

So was Devon Achane not committed? Stop saying a player was not committed because they were a two sport athlete. That is flawed logic. He regressed after freshman year for a number of reasons. None of it had to do with effort or mindset
Bryanisbest
AG
His commitment fell short of his ability. Rather have a three star who is sells out.
Aston04
AG
Wurk said:

Azeew said:

Agvet12 said:

Sterling82 said:

YouBet said:

Sterling82 said:

So was Devon Achane not committed? Stop saying a player was not committed because they were a two sport athlete. That is flawed logic. He regressed after freshman year for a number of reasons. None of it had to do with effort or mindset

Devon consistently played on a high level - worthy of NFL grade and pick. He almost single handedly won us the Orange Bowl. Bryce was horrible last year and not much better the year before.

Also, Bryce got hurt a ton in season over the years... So not only was he missing all spring practices, he missed huge chunks of fall practices..

Last, Devon get better each season. A good case can be made Bryce got worse each season (likely relating to just above).

Those are three key differences. If Bryce was serious about getting better, he would have quit being an average track athlete and worked on it this spring. He didn't. And so he's leaving.
Bryanisbest
AG
Achane is one of all time best Ag players. Foster not so much

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.