Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M/LSU "rivalry"

11,765 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by greg.w.h
rootube
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Except that people on this thread are literally saying that LSU is our main rival which is dumb.

As for Baylor you seem to be saying that Baylor was pretty good half a century ago so they are a big rival. Well TCU and SMU used to be pretty good too if you go back far enough. Just because Sammy Baugh could sling it in the '30's doesn't mean they are a big rival.

Any team from the old SWC/B12 would generate interest but there is one team that's not like the others and that includes every team in the SEC
dixichkn
AG
NyAggie said:

Lake08 said:

I go over to TD's on occasion, and it's crazy the amount of butthurt that site has towards us. If you were just reading the posts, you'd swear we were their #1 rival. I hate LSU, but they down on my list of potential #1 rivals.

Does LSzu really have a true rival?

We might be as close as it gets for them

If you ask THEM it's Bama. But I think we run a pretty close second.

Me personally, I'll put it like this. I think it would kinda suck not having LSU on the schedule. Whereas I didn't miss tu being on the schedule, not one little bit. They can burn in hell for all I care. If it came down to one or the other I'd keep LSU all day. And I was raised in the SWC days. I know what the hell I'm talking about

Triple-T
AG
While lsu may scream over and over that bama is their Rival,

bama will NEVER consider lsu their Rival - that will ALWAYS be Auburn.
ArmyAg2002
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

The Baylor thing has always been pretty one sided. Baylor people have a chip on their shoulder about A&M year-round, but we only think about them at game time. I had lunch with a guy recently who said his Baylor aunt actually started crying when he announced he was going to A&M. Strangely, the private school where our kids are enrolled sends most of their kids to A&M and Baylor. We all seem to get along fine and have lots in common. I'm not sure why Baylor carries this strangely intense grudge against us.

The strange intense rival is Tech. I had no idea how nuts they were about A&M until I married a girl that went to school there.
Buck Turgidson
ArmyAg2002 said:

Buck Turgidson said:

The Baylor thing has always been pretty one sided. Baylor people have a chip on their shoulder about A&M year-round, but we only think about them at game time. I had lunch with a guy recently who said his Baylor aunt actually started crying when he announced he was going to A&M. Strangely, the private school where our kids are enrolled sends most of their kids to A&M and Baylor. We all seem to get along fine and have lots in common. I'm not sure why Baylor carries this strangely intense grudge against us.

The strange intense rival is Tech. I had no idea how nuts they were about A&M until I married a girl that went to school there.
Yes, but the Tech thing is much easier for me to understand. They area eaten up with jealousy as they are like a bad imitation of A&M, worse in every way. We are The Rock to their Vin Diesel.

With Baylor, we are Sgt. Carter and they are Mr. Rogers - not much basis for a rivalry other than proximity.
greg.w.h
AG
rootube said:

Except that people on this thread are literally saying that LSU is our main rival which is dumb.

As for Baylor you seem to be saying that Baylor was pretty good half a century ago so they are a big rival. Well TCU and SMU used to be pretty good too if you go back far enough. Just because Sammy Baugh could sling it in the '30's doesn't mean they are a big rival.

Any team from the old SWC/B12 would generate interest but there is one team that's not like the others and that includes every team in the SEC
If Texas were our main rival they would have played us the past decade and change. They're not. They're playing you and others because it's easy.
rootube
AG
greg.w.h said:

rootube said:

If Texas were our main rival they would have played us the past decade and change. They're not. They're playing you and others because it's easy.

Well we get a chance to find out this year. Are you anticipating low attendance? Call your shot.
StinkyPinky
AG
rootube said:

greg.w.h said:

rootube said:

Well we get a chance to find out this year. Are you anticipating low attendance? Call your shot.
This. I don't care what tu or we say, the evidence is in the numbers. The tu football game next year will most likely sell out and have insane prices in the secondary market. Our baseball team playing in Austin last month resulted in tu selling out their stadium and was the most attended game, even when they stink. Pretty telling IMO on the level of emphasis their and our fans have on our match-ups, which is the basis of a rivalry.
NE PA Ag
For the poster going on about the overall record versus tu and their "domimation" in our rivalry.

Yes, tu has 39 more wins than we do. From 1894 to 1908 A&M beat tu once and lost to them 14 times.

A more important time period in the rivalry that contributed to this difference was 1940 to 1974, when A&M beat tu 3 times and lost to them 28 times. This was just before WW2 started, then after the war we stayed a small all male, all military college until 1963 and then spent the next few years growing into a full coed institution. Also, 1973 was the first year of scholarship limits.

So outside of those 2 stretches, and I realize it all counts, tu has 1 more win than we do in the rivalry.

Finally, about LSU and Florida. Before the SEC expanded in 1992, went to divisions and instituted the permanent cross division rival system, they were anything but rivals. UF and LSU have played a grand total of 7 more times than we've played LSU, even though both were charter members of the SEC.
NE PA Ag
Oh, and as I was a student in the mid to late 80s, tu is our biggest rival, and LSU is a close second.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
OP, LSU is absolutely a top rival for A&M.

I was a student at A&M during the glorious span of years where t-sip victories were all but guaranteed, 1985-1989. But during that same era, LSU absolutely owned A&M. Beat the Ags in 86, 87, 88, and 89 in baseball (in a day of infamy that I still rankle over). I hated LSU far more than I hated sip (and I hated sip with a seething passion).

Had this been about Alabama, I might be inclined to agree that the rivalry with the Tide is down the list a bit, given our relative lack of history with them. They would be on par with OU. Similar history, both in duration and results.

Outside of schools that comprised the old SWC, LSU is probably our most-played rival. I will always hate those corn-dog slobbing goobers with a passion that at the very least equals the disdain I have for all things burned orange uterus.

My rival ranking: LSU/tu, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, and then it starts to not matter.
#FJB
Buck Turgidson
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I was a student at A&M during the glorious span of years where t-sip victories were all but guaranteed, 1985-1989. But during that same era, LSU absolutely owned A&M. Beat the Ags in 86, 87, 88, and 89 in baseball (in a day of infamy that I still rankle over). I hated LSU far more than I hated sip (and I hated sip with a seething passion).
Exactly.
NE PA Ag
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Thanks for reminding me of the 87 LSU game. A disheartening 17 - 3 loss and Harvey Williams a freshman on the other sideline.

I really hate LSU.
TyperWoods
tu, L$U, Baylol in that order.

Baylol not so much a rival as just a pos
Jimbo4win
AG
schmellba99 said:

rootube said:

People are either too young to remember or have amnesia. LSU is a neat little budding rivalry but absolutely nothing in comparison to horn.

Baylor?!?! Come on, show some dignity.
Yeah, way too young to remember when we played lsu annually back in the day, when they cancelled the series or that we have a fairly even record against them historically, and that we have played them far more than we have a lot of other schools we have history with. It is anything but "budding".

tu is a rival because of old history, but in reality the series is anything but a rivalry - it's a game that nostalgic old Ags remember. But most of the time they forget that we lose 2 out of every 3 to them and that, generally speaking, our two schools have little in common outside of being from the same state and being in the same confernence for so many years.

And if one were to really go into Aggie history, you'ld discover that the Baylor rivalry was far more serious and heated before the tu rivalry ever was. We got really complacent with them because we had about a 20 year stretch where we didn't lose to them, which makes it hard to really sustain a good rivalry (see tu towards us for much of the history between us).

A&M and lsu are far more alike than they are different, and they are a great school to absolutely hate.

I'm 48 and the series against Texas is dead even in my lifetime . How is that losing two of three?
Jimbo4win
AG
When you win, everyone hates you, everyone is your biggest rival, and everyone tears the goalpost down if they somehow get a win against you. Alabama under Saban proved this time after time. The Alabama game was THE biggest game of the year for A&M, LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Texas(when they played) and so on….Win and you won't have to worry about about manufacturing rivals. Every game we will be hated…and that's when it's best…Would MUCH rather be hated than to hate
TyperWoods
Buck Turgidson said:

ArmyAg2002 said:

Buck Turgidson said:

Yes, but the Tech thing is much easier for me to understand. They area eaten up with jealousy as they are like a bad imitation of A&M, worse in every way. We are The Rock to their Vin Diesel.

With Baylor, we are Sgt. Carter and they are Mr. Rogers - not much basis for a rivalry other than proximity.

And them killing an Aggie
aeon-ag
Slicer97 said:

I view thaem as more of a rival than tu.
You ain't no AG. tu has always been and always will be A&M's rivalry. You must be new army.
aeon-ag
All you new army types who have never been to a tu game, just wait until they roll into Kyle field and start their crap. You'll forget LS who!!! Their ain't nothing worse than a sip. Then remember your first time at DKR stadium, you'll remember that trip for the rest of your life and it won't be pleasant. Win or lose they are the worst!!!! Wait until they run your nose in their crap!!!!! '70
NE PA Ag
aeon-ag said:

All you new army types who have never been to a tu game, just wait until they roll into Kyle field and start their crap. You'll forget LS who!!! Their ain't nothing worse than a sip. Then remember your first time at DKR stadium, you'll remember that trip for the rest of your life and it won't be pleasant. Win or lose they are the worst!!!! Wait until they run your nose in their crap!!!!! '70

There are plenty of people that at a minimum see them as close to equal rivals that have been to many games against tu. See the string of comments from posters that attended A&M in the 80s.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
This.

I recall a bunch of posts talking about how LSU is our biggest SEC rivalry, but others coming in and saying LSU doesn't view it that way due to their beating our asses every year up until 2018. Well, there is truth to that. In the latter half of the 80s, Texas A&M absolutely OWNED the sips. 34-12. 42-10. 16-3. 20-10. 28-24. 21-10. Yeah, only 2, maybe 3 blowouts in there, but we knew we were winning that game. When we re-started the LSU series in 1986, we lost badly the first 3 games, won in 1989, then lost again in 1990 before dominating them through the first half of the 90s to the point that they canceled our series with 2 games remaining (and they still apparently owe us $$$$ for).

I absolutely hated LSU more than tu during the latter half of the 80s. That is not to say that I didn't consider tu a rival; I did, but I never had doubts that the Ags were winning those games. We were just the superior team in all facets of the game at the time.

With tu being off our schedule for the last decade+, they have taken a back seat, but I've never forgotten how much I disapprove of their existence. All of that hatred will come back for me front and center, I'm sure, but as it is now, LSU is the bigger rival of the two and the one that I'd prefer to end the season against.
#FJB
jsmc71
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

This.

I recall a bunch of posts talking about how LSU is our biggest SEC rivalry, but others coming in and saying LSU doesn't view it that way due to their beating our asses every year up until 2018. Well, there is truth to that. In the latter half of the 80s, Texas A&M absolutely OWNED the sips. 34-12. 42-10. 16-3. 20-10. 28-24. 21-10. Yeah, only 2, maybe 3 blowouts in there, but we knew we were winning that game. When we re-started the LSU series in 1986, we lost badly the first 3 games, won in 1989, then lost again in 1990 before dominating them through the first half of the 90s to the point that they canceled our series with 2 games remaining (and they still apparently owe us $$$$ for).

I absolutely hated LSU more than tu during the latter half of the 80s. That is not to say that I didn't consider tu a rival; I did, but I never had doubts that the Ags were winning those games. We were just the superior team in all facets of the game at the time.

With tu being off our schedule for the last decade+, they have taken a back seat, but I've never forgotten how much I disapprove of their existence. All of that hatred will come back for me front and center, I'm sure, but as it is now, LSU is the bigger rival of the two and the one that I'd prefer to end the season against.
eleventy-billion. well said.
catfan
Most say Alabama is LSU's biggest rival. Google says "The LSU Tigers have several geographic and conference rivals. LSU's main rival is Arkansas, as the two squads play each other for the famed Golden Boot trophy. LSU also has SEC rivalries with the Auburn Tigers, the Florida Gators, the Alabama Crimson Tide, and the Texas A&M Aggies."
Ag Tag
If you ask the LSU people who their main traditional rival is, what do they say?
LincolnBorglum79
AG
We are 19-19 vs tu since 1975. Had we played each other the last 12 years we would likely have been 30-20 since 1975. So whoever said they beat us 2 out of every 3 times is simply wrong at least since scholarships have been limited.
AggieVictor10
AG
Slicer97 said:

I view them as more of a rival than tu.

I would def like that to be true but damn I would rather crush the sips. **** them.
Carmine Scarpacio
LincolnBorglum79 said:

We are 19-19 vs tu since 1975. Had we played each other the last 12 years we would likely have been 30-20 since 1975. So whoever said they beat us 2 out of every 3 times is simply wrong at least since scholarships have been limited.

The SWC had scholarship limits starting in 1965.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Lake08 said:

Slicer97 said:

I view them as more of a rival than tu.

Wow. Fair enough. I can say having lived in Waco my entire life, accept for school, I hate Baylor more than any team.
*except
merch
Or not. Like I said a million times, any schedule that doesn't have Texas playing Bama and LSU every year is bogus. We had to play both every year, get beat up, take the lumps, etc. let me check, does Texas play either? nope! Give me a break.

Price of admission should have been both of them every year. Even the Texas entrance into SEC will be easier than ours. And when they do play Bama, Saban is gone. Transistion shouldn't be as tough as ours was.
Nothing looks more foolish than tradition to those who have none.
AggieArchitect04
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

You and everyone else thinking this are in for a rude awakening. While tu doesnt have an elite roster, they do have a really good OL and good QB/RB with talent at skill. Their defense might be mediocre at best. But, they dont play anyone that has experience until Georgia. Michigan lost 18 starters to the NFL along with head coach and both DCs. Miss State, Vandy, and Florida are all damn near rock bottom. OU lost 7 starting OL to the draft or portal, they have a talented but extremely young roster. Arky is on the way towards rock bottom. Leaving them to host a loaded Georgia, a talented but mid level Kentucky, and on the road at what should be a very talented and experienced Texas A&M. The portal has changed so much in terms of the depth and talent of some of these teams like MIss State and Arky.
LSU is a hated rival in my book, hated. Along with the sips.

How did they manage to do that?

1 center
2 guards
2 tackles
=
5 starting OL
SA68AG
AG
Anybody that says a team other than tu has not had to listen to them sing " Pooooooooooooooor Aggieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees""Pooooooooooooooooooor Aggieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees".

You just have to go through that once and I guarantee there will never be any doubt in your mind who your most hated rival is.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Refs won't even call them on the 2 extra men on the field.
Bryanisbest
AG
Anyone who thinks any other college is a greater rival than tu is absolutely nuts.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Anyone who thinks any other college is a greater rival than tu is absolutely nuts.
I guess I am nuts, then.

I don't discount that sippy is A&M's biggest historic rival, but in my years in Aggieland, we dominated them while struggling to beat LSU. Latter half of the 80s.
#FJB
AgDad121619
AG
NowhereMan said:

The tu Rivalry is going to be blown into something that surpasses OH-MI, NY-BOS, Celtics Lakers, Steelers Cowboys. LS Who?
haha - no. The biggest rivalry in the land will always be Bama-Auburn. You have to live there to understand. The tu rivalry is Texas based and doesn't get near the national attention of any of the rivalry's you listed
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.