Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M/LSU "rivalry"

11,371 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by greg.w.h
Lake08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I go over to TD's on occasion, and it's crazy the amount of butthurt that site has towards us. If you were just reading the posts, you'd swear we were their #1 rival. I hate LSU, but they down on my list of potential #1 rivals.
Slicer97
AG
I view them as more of a rival than tu.
Lake08
Slicer97 said:

Wow. Fair enough. I can say having lived in Waco my entire life, accept for school, I hate Baylor more than any team.
Aggie-Jack
AG
Slicer97 said:

LSU is more challenging than the sips.

This upcoming season is likely to be very eye opening for little brother. They don't have a transcendent QB like Johnny with Kingsbury's aggressive play calling. I firmly expect them to have a tough season. Also, the wear and tear of the SEC will leave them dinged and battered most of the season. Very few games will be a cake walk and a lot of the teams will be gunning for the team that made the playoffs the previous year.

I enjoy finishing the season against LSU. Lots of fans here in Houston that I work with and its been fun talking s#1t.

Sips are d@uc#e$.
rootube
AG
People are either too young to remember or have amnesia. LSU is a neat little budding rivalry but absolutely nothing in comparison to horn.

Baylor?!?! Come on, show some dignity.
greg.w.h
AG
Three permanent rivals with Texas, LSU, and Arkansas would be a huge win for us. We have many more games against those three than any other SEC team. Oklahoma is 31 games by comparison while LSU is 72, Arky is 80, Austin is 118.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
You and everyone else thinking this are in for a rude awakening. While tu doesnt have an elite roster, they do have a really good OL and good QB/RB with talent at skill. Their defense might be mediocre at best. But, they dont play anyone that has experience until Georgia. Michigan lost 18 starters to the NFL along with head coach and both DCs. Miss State, Vandy, and Florida are all damn near rock bottom. OU lost 7 starting OL to the draft or portal, they have a talented but extremely young roster. Arky is on the way towards rock bottom. Leaving them to host a loaded Georgia, a talented but mid level Kentucky, and on the road at what should be a very talented and experienced Texas A&M. The portal has changed so much in terms of the depth and talent of some of these teams like MIss State and Arky.
LSU is a hated rival in my book, hated. Along with the sips.
Aggie92ss
I enjoy finishing the season against LSU.
HallaronAg88
AG
Respectfully, you are unaware of the long rivalry with LSU. Far from budding. Not bigger than tu but we have been playing them on and off again in series since 1914!
Proud member of the Class of '88. Gig'em!
rootube
AG
HallaronAg88 said:

Respectfully, you are unaware of the long rivalry with LSU. Far from budding. Not bigger than tu but we have been playing them on and off again in series since 1914!

Im aware, and even went some games at LSU back in the day pre SEC. It was a fun game but if anyone had suggested they were our main rival back then both fan bases would have laughed at you. Since then there has been a nice little rivalry going but to compare that to the horn game is absurd.
Agsncws
AG
Its like impossible to understand people have different feelings and different motivations on things.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
murphyag
AG
Aggie-Jack said:

Slicer97 said:

LSU is more challenging than the sips.

This upcoming season is likely to be very eye opening for little brother. They don't have a transcendent QB like Johnny with Kingsbury's aggressive play calling. I firmly expect them to have a tough season. Also, the wear and tear of the SEC will leave them dinged and battered most of the season. Very few games will be a cake walk and a lot of the teams will be gunning for the team that made the playoffs the previous year.

I enjoy finishing the season against LSU. Lots of fans here in Houston that I work with and its been fun talking s#1t.

Sips are d@uc#e$.

Sips have a VERY easy schedule for 24 and 25. Sankey handed it to them on a silver platter. Their schedule will help make up for any shortcomings in coaching or player personnel.
Buck Turgidson
LSU lost their obvious in-state rival when Tulane dropped out of the SEC and they were the weird outliers on the far western edge of the SEC for decades after. There's a reason why LSU sponsored us when we were applying to join the SEC - they needed a rival and we had a long history of out-of-conference games.
Ags2013
AG
Slicer97 said:

lol what
90ags
Sips setup for an easy entry to SEC....hoping they drunk stumble, but odds are in their favor (even Mich is decimated after last year NC; ND will be a better team the UM).
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
NyAggie
AG
Lake08 said:

I go over to TD's on occasion, and it's crazy the amount of butthurt that site has towards us. If you were just reading the posts, you'd swear we were their #1 rival. I hate LSU, but they down on my list of potential #1 rivals.

Does LSzu really have a true rival?

We might be as close as it gets for them

Iraq2xVeteran
AG
If the SEC goes to a 9-game conference schedule, it would be great to have Texas, LSU, and Arkansas are our 3 permanent opponents. Hopefully, we will also have split Texas and LSU home and away every year. We have played many more games against those 3 teams than any other SEC team. We have played 118 games against Texas, 80 games against Arkansas, and 72 against LSU. In contrast, we have played 31 games against Oklahoma.
The Agly Duckling
rootube said:

People are either too young to remember or have amnesia. LSU is a neat little budding rivalry but absolutely nothing in comparison to horn.

I like the entire concept of this post, but I want to point out that we've never been in the same conference with LSU and t.u. at the same time. Going forward, this is gonna get real good and highly competitive. I think we end up seeing both as primary rivals due to location, location, location.
The Zookeeper
AG
The people I know who went to LSU (35 to 55yrs old) don't really consider A&M the primary rival ... IMO. Maybe some there do ... the ones that I know don't like A&M, but dislike them a little less than they dislike Bama.

It's all pretty fluid, personal, and fickle as to who is doing well. Usually there are unequal amounts of hate.

To me, rivalries makes it fun and more meaningful

bryanw1995
AG
We are certainly rivals with LSU, and I enjoy the trash talking with my baby Tiger friends, but our rivalry with Texas will always burn the brightest for most of us older folks.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I love playing LSU and it always had been our second biggest rivalry. It's fun and it's damn hard to beat them
with consistency.

But make no doubt, tu is our biggest rival.
C2 Ag 93
You can have more than one rival. I think of it like this, we have two. Hate them both, but I at least respect LSU.
cc10106
LSU also has notable rivalries with Ole Miss, Auburn, and Florida and tends to have that us-against-the-world mentality in general.

Since A&M started beating them at Kyle the old rivalry has started to crank back up. Beat them in BR, and their fans will be pissed.
Aggie Apotheosis
Ags2013 said:

Slicer97 said:

lol what

Haven't you listened to what follows the War Hymn?

"Cut Tiger's tail off!
Cut Tiger's tail off!
Cut Tiger's tail off!
Short!"
Sq 17
Lake08 said:

I think LSU position in college football is going the wrong way. LSU has always been a great but poorly managed "brand"

LSU sees their status slipping away and wants to blame A&M instead of their of their culture of corruption and incompetence. The Burrow natty looks like an anomaly. LSU Florida and a few other programs that used to regularly be in the NC discussion aren't as relevant as they used to be Which might be why there is so much Butthurt on TD
schmellba99
AG
Slicer97 said:

Same here.
NowhereMan
The tu Rivalry is going to be blown into something that surpasses OH-MI, NY-BOS, Celtics Lakers, Steelers Cowboys. LS Who?
schmellba99
AG
rootube said:

Yeah, way too young to remember when we played lsu annually back in the day, when they cancelled the series or that we have a fairly even record against them historically, and that we have played them far more than we have a lot of other schools we have history with. It is anything but "budding".

tu is a rival because of old history, but in reality the series is anything but a rivalry - it's a game that nostalgic old Ags remember. But most of the time they forget that we lose 2 out of every 3 to them and that, generally speaking, our two schools have little in common outside of being from the same state and being in the same confernence for so many years.

And if one were to really go into Aggie history, you'ld discover that the Baylor rivalry was far more serious and heated before the tu rivalry ever was. We got really complacent with them because we had about a 20 year stretch where we didn't lose to them, which makes it hard to really sustain a good rivalry (see tu towards us for much of the history between us).

A&M and lsu are far more alike than they are different, and they are a great school to absolutely hate.

Ugly
AG
LSU has been the red-headed step-child of the SEC with no true rival for decades now. They are the #2 or #3 rival for a lot of programs, including our own, but ever since Tulane left there is no true #1 rival for them to claim. A lot of their posters would claim Alabama as #1, but with Saban gone that may or may not last. Obviously the Florida game is massive, but there are very few fans on either side of that game now that would claim it as the most important year-in and year-out. LSU also has a long history with the Mississippi schools (their matchup with Clanga is the 6th longest in the new SEC), but that has been fairly lopsided and they don't lose many recruits to those schools.

The Thanksgiving game has helped raise the importance of the renewed rivalry between Texas A&M and LSU significantly, and the fact that the game have recently been close helps with that. Off the field, LSU needs to lock down Louisiana and raid Houston a bit to get to elite status and we have been a foil to that in recent years. The schools are also close enough that there are plenty of chance to run into each other on any given day. Altogether, it make for a strong rivalry that doesn't quite match up with the Texas A&M vs. Texas rivalry, but is probably stronger than the rivalries against Baylor or Texas Tech used to be.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
HallaronAg88 said:

I think our first game with them was 1899.
TXPremiumBoy
AG
"I view them as more of a rival than tu."

I view LSU as equal if not more of a rival than the sips. Started for me back in the 80's/90's. The sips will quickly become our 'rival' again, but I now look it like the sip vs sooners rivalry. We have LSU as a 2nd major if not equal rivalry.
rootube
AG
schmellba99 said:

rootube said:

Yeah, way too young to remember when we played lsu annually back in the day, when they cancelled the series or that we have a fairly even record against them historically, and that we have played them far more than we have a lot of other schools we have history with. It is anything but "budding".

tu is a rival because of old history, but in reality the series is anything but a rivalry - it's a game that nostalgic old Ags remember. But most of the time they forget that we lose 2 out of every 3 to them and that, generally speaking, our two schools have little in common outside of being from the same state and being in the same confernence for so many years.

And if one were to really go into Aggie history, you'ld discover that the Baylor rivalry was far more serious and heated before the tu rivalry ever was. We got really complacent with them because we had about a 20 year stretch where we didn't lose to them, which makes it hard to really sustain a good rivalry (see tu towards us for much of the history between us).

A&M and lsu are far more alike than they are different, and they are a great school to absolutely hate.

Baylor… A&M's true historical rival.

Meanwhile the team that we were so passionate about that we built bonfire and memorialized in our fight song is just another school that happens to be in Texas but has nothing in common with us. Unlike the small private school in Waco that we have tons in common with.

Do you people not realize that your childish insistence that they are NOT out rival is just proof that you can't deal with the fact that they are.
Buck Turgidson
Aggie Apotheosis said:

Ags2013 said:

Slicer97 said:

lol what

Haven't you listened to what follows the War Hymn?

"Cut Tiger's tail off!
Cut Tiger's tail off!
Cut Tiger's tail off!
Short!"

Not a bad idea for that one game. Just like saw varsity's horns off only makes sense for the sip game, not when we play other schools.
Buck Turgidson
The Baylor thing has always been pretty one sided. Baylor people have a chip on their shoulder about A&M year-round, but we only think about them at game time. I had lunch with a guy recently who said his Baylor aunt actually started crying when he announced he was going to A&M. Strangely, the private school where our kids are enrolled sends most of their kids to A&M and Baylor. We all seem to get along fine and have lots in common. I'm not sure why Baylor carries this strangely intense grudge against us.
schmellba99
AG
rootube said:

schmellba99 said:

rootube said:

Baylor… A&M's true historical rival.

Meanwhile the team that we were so passionate about that we built bonfire and memorialized in our fight song is just another school that happens to be in Texas but has nothing in common with us. Unlike the small private school in Waco that we have tons in common with.

Do you people not realize that your childish insistence that they are NOT out rival is just proof that you can't deal with the fact that they are.
Nobody said they weren't our rival. They are, and because of history, always will be. The idea that the lsu rivalry is this "budding" modern creation is just stupid, which is what is being said.

And yes, up until about the mid 70's, the Baylor rivalry was heated AF and was a big game for us. Baylor dropping off the face of the earth for the better part of 3 decades killed what was there.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.