Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Seahawks "12th Man" NEWS

14,936 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by SOA 97
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2 years? Who the hell do we have representing us? Haha. My 2 bit legal education could do better than that.
Ag12thman
AG
Because they all wished they had the spirit, tradition, and excellence that Texas A&M has. Many schools and even professional team envy us for what all we have created through our deep, rich history. Texas A&M is the greatest, most tradition-rich athletic program in the nation. I really believe that with all my heart and I will stand back and let no other organization steal what will always be AGGIE!
meantime
AG
1985, people:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1985-SEATTLE-SEAHAWKS-12TH-MAN-SHIRT-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ8755914158QQcategoryZ24973QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Where was the uproar back then?
Ag12thman
AG
Double the current Uproar!!!!!!!!!
AAM02
AG
If I killed a man 20 years ago, I still killed a man.
meantime
AG
hahahaha... that's hilarious!
DanTheMan55
They werent going to the super bowl 20 years ago, they were one of the worst franchises in the league.
MaroonSpirit
AG
RoyIII_Ag08--can you forward that email to me?

I don't doubt you at all just interested. See profile for email address. Thanks.
Rex Racer
AG
The Broncos and Bears tried to use it and stopped when we sent them cease and desist letters. The Seahawks have ignored us so far.
meantime
AG
Actually, the Seahawks lost to the Raiders in the '83 AFC Championship...

Can anyone post an image where they are actually violating the copyright? I still have yet to see the SEAHAWKS using the phrase "12th man" anywhere. Until that happens, A&M has no legal recourse against them.

[This message has been edited by meantime (edited 1/23/2006 10:50p).]
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
MaroonSpirit, email sent.
Aggienk
Here's plenty of instances of Seattle ripping it off: http://www.seahawks.com/searchform.aspx?SearchArg=12th%20man
clw04
AG
There is an article on the Seahawk website. They have named the flag the "12th Man Flag" thus violating the trademark.

It was funny when the Fox announcers asked Seahawk Paul Allen about the 12th Man and he made sure he didn't say it otherwise it would become them naming the fans that. As long as Fox and the media use it the Seahawks are fine other than the fact that they screwed up with the naming of the flag.

In the past they have had a 12th Man Suite change its name, 12th Man group change its name due to cease-and-desist letters. They are trying to get as close as they can get when using the idea without infringing on the copyright.

Web article on 12th Man Flag: http://www.seahawks.com/ArDisplay.aspx?ID=6405

meantime
AG
I still don't see where they are violating the copyright. There is no official gear or logo promoting it. They are simply referring to their fans as the "12th Man" in the generic sense.
Jock 97
^
|

Yikes, please tell me you're an Ag Journalism major or something of the like.
StorminAg
AG
I think that's the reason they only have the 12 on their flag and not the 12th man......if they actually put 12th man on their flag it would be infringement.
BaronVonAggie
AG
If the Milwaukee Bucks started saying 'Hook'em Bucks' that wouldnt bother Texas fans?
Of course it would, Seattle is going down, we're going to sue their butts off.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
meantime,

after reading all of your post on this matter, I have come to the conclusion (quiet easily) that you sir are an idiot.

I am pretty sure that you know better then our athletic department and licensing department.

"They aren't. We have sent them cease-and-desist papers repeatedly over
the last two years. They'll be forced to shut it down if they do not
comply.

-Mike McKenzie

Hey but you know better............dumbass!

Where did you get your undergrad again??
StorminAg
AG
nm

[This message has been edited by StorminAg (edited 1/23/2006 11:13p).]
Marathon
Will there be any movement on this issue before the big game ?
jm94
AG

If this becomes a big deal, I'll bet you anything the locals mess up my car because of its Former Students sticker. Thanks, guys.
Mosquito Hunters
AG
TTU Clint... over 650 posts, nothing better to do? I'd hit up Shogun, especially around lunch, best food in town... who knows maybe its time to stop by the strip and pick up some stuff, can never have too much!
meantime
AG
andyv94,

Thanks, man! You're a real piece of work yourself! I love how anyone who isn't blinded by maroon glasses is automatically labeled an "idiot" on texags... The point I'm trying to make is that all this is completely idiotic. WHY HAS NOTHING BEEN DONE UNTIL NOW IF THEY ARE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT LAWS? Seriously, is it that hard to understand?... Shame on A&M for waiting until the Seahawks have a good season if they have in fact taken any legal action.

[This message has been edited by meantime (edited 1/23/2006 11:34p).]
michaelh
AG
isnt the owner of the seahawks the cofounder of microsoft? if so, good luck fighting their lawyers on this.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
what part of over two years don't you get??
meantime
AG
What part of OVER 20 YEARS do YOU not get?
Keegan99
AG
quote:
WHY HAS NOTHING BEEN DONE UNTIL NOW IF THEY ARE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT LAWS? Seriously, is it that hard to understand?... Shame on A&M for waiting until the Seahawks have a good season if they have in fact taken any legal action.

A&M first took action two years ago.
jm94
AG

But the Seahawks have been using it for over 20 years. Part of copyright enforcement is that you have to enforce it when you're made aware of it. I'm pretty sure some old Ag would have told them when it first started, so if they're waiting until now to do something about it, they're probably screwed.
meantime
AG
Again, the Seahawks have been doing THE EXACT SAME THING THEY ARE DOING NOW for over 20 years.
AgDotCom
quote:
WHY HAS NOTHING BEEN DONE UNTIL NOW IF WHAT THEY ARE VIOLATING COPYRIGHT LAWS?

If I own something I typically use it, drive it, paint it, or do whatever with it *when* I want. I don't need to call you and ask permission to use it or seek validation from you in order to "feel good" about my ownership or stewardship of it.

You seem rather fixated on this issue. Perhaps the 12th Man can send you a collective stool sample for you to slip under a microscope to parse and analyze....and keep you occupied for a few months.
mazag08
AG
protect the 12th man and say howdy!
Keegan99
AG
quote:
What part of OVER 20 YEARS do YOU not get?

When did you get your degree in IP law?

If a small mom and pop hamburger stand in the middle of west Texas called themselves "McDonald's" for two decades without McDonald's Corp. being aware or taking action, the mom and pop operation would still have to change their name if and when McDonald's Corp. took action.
meantime
AG
I'm "fixated" (fascinated would be a better word) by the uproar this is causing. It totally blows my mind.

Keegan,

Don't tell me A&M found out about this only 2 years ago. Not a chance. If it were truly a problem , it should have been dealt with LONG ago.

[This message has been edited by meantime (edited 1/23/2006 11:44p).]
Keegan99
AG
Talk to someone in the AD or the TAMU Licensing office if you're confused or concerned.
jm94
AG

The Seattle area alumni group went through the same thing on our e-mail list a couple of months ago. The end result was pretty much the same thing you'll get here - wondering what the 12th Man will do about it.

A couple of guys wanted to contact the local papers on behalf of the group, but we had to nip that. We don't speak for the university, nor do we want people thinking badly of us up here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.