Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Seahawks "12th Man" NEWS

14,906 Views | 204 Replies | Last: 18 yr ago by SOA 97
OPAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the sip is right that hand single is one of the most recognized hand signs around. The thing is the amount of people that equate it with the devil is much higher, NO kidding. It is a sign for 'the goat'. It is very common in hard core anarchist rock concert events.

Of course the sips may see that as one and the same!

"only one thing is important!"
AngeloHorn
Personally I have no problem with it, but you guys should be more upset about this one.

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_12th_man/12th_man_again/
hub-city
i have a few dogs buried in my backyard. if i decide to put up a scoreboard so they always know how Tech is doing, do i have to pay royalties for "stealing" an idea?
maestro2002
quote:
Protect your copyright by all means, but don't get bent out of shape when the rest of the nation has no idea about your traditions.

The popularity of a trademark is irrelevant. It's ours, they're using it without permission, and we have the right to control its use.

This issue isn't deserving of a huge outcry, but it seems fairly clear-cut that "The 12th Man" belongs to Texas A&M. Period. The Seahawks can't use it, their fan organizations can't use it, and Podunk High School can't use it.
hub-city
maestro, in all honesty, i would think you want high schools using it. these are kids you are recruiting. my high school's logo is the same as unt's. i dont think it helped them any in recruiting but being only 30 miles away, we knew all we needed to about going there.
chris19731
AG
An email I sent on the seattle website.

Category: 05 ADVERTISING

Rating: 1 star

Your comments:
To Whom it May Concern:

Stop using the 12th Man references. Texas A&M owns the
rights to this. Take down your flag. Thanks

Reply from the Seahawks:
Hi Chris, this is not a exclusive item after legal check work.
The 12th Man flag flies high. Thanks.

Message sent 1/24/2006 8:11:45 AM
RPTS_AG_07
quote:
Outside Texas, few know of the 12th man history at ATM

Wow, just wow, this guy is on a role, one stupid post after another. "The 12th Man" was voted the top college football tradition, but you're right, no one knows about it. Come on, post something else stupid, this is getting fun.
futureag10
If you don't mind I would like that email forwarded to shsqbteague@yahoo.com. Thanks and Gig'em
Silver Eagle
AG
quote:
i have a few dogs buried in my backyard. if i decide to put up a scoreboard so they always know how Tech is doing, do i have to pay royalties for "stealing" an idea?

<sarcasm>If you start making money on it, yes!</sarcasm>

-------------
Class of 2004
-------------
hub-city
quote:
<sarcasm>If you start making money on it, yes!</sarcasm>

well attendance in my yard has been down this year so i dont think i will have to worry much about that
Silver Eagle
AG
What's next? An NFL team nicknaming their defense the Wrecking Crew?
houstontexan
hub, only if its copyrighted...

how tough was it getting into tech? i'd imagine it couldn't have been that tough. they didn't accept me until the summer after 7th grade...literally.
hub-city
come now houstontex...
surely this hasn't upset you enough to resort to admissions smack
Sink Maggots
Obviously they didn't cease and desist. When they were announced they said "Home of the 12th Man"...
agg98
so what happens now
BaronVonAggie
AG
Expecting a Techie to grasp complicated legal issues is like expecting your dog to learn calculus.

Now run along and design a better mobile home or something.

[This message has been edited by BaronVonAggie (edited 1/24/2006 1:48p).]
stupifiedbyyou
I submit that the seattle seahawk 12thman and Aggies 12thman are entirely different, just look at the result for chris sake.
RPTS_AG_07
quote:
Now run along and design a better mobile home or something.

OWNED

[This message has been edited by joerainsaggies07 (edited 1/24/2006 1:59p).]
SOA 97
quote:
We're TEXAS, they're not.

No, you are the university of Texas at Austin. Your school is no more "Texas" than UC-Berkley is.
AngeloHorn
Your lawyers better get busy.

http://seahawks.mostvaluablenetwork.com/

http://www.sanity.com.au/product.asp?intProductID=10038&intArtistID=4221

http://www.ta****agg.com/forum/weblog_entry.php?e=1721

http://www.buffalobills.com/community/12ManWalkofFame.jsp

http://www.mccsc.edu/~nor12man/

http://patsfans.com/12th/

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/index.php?s=2244b1b28690c6ac85df3d0d5135d855&showtopic=127824&pid=2106775&st=0&#entry2106775

http://www.zazzle.com/products/product/product.asp?general_category_id=103589261905984535&caching=on&product_id=235305139691038362&index=16

[This message has been edited by AngeloHorn (edited 1/24/2006 2:29p).]
XxXdragonXxX
Wow...the 12th man is a widely used term. Just about every football team in the history of football has called their fans "the 12th man" at some point. So why are the Aggies finally getting pissed now?

And incase you missed it.....

"Reply from the Seahawks:
The 12th Man flag flies high. Thanks."
Knut
AG
quote:
Reply from the Seahawks:
The 12th Man flag flies high. Thanks.

It's on!!!

[This message has been edited by Knut (edited 1/24/2006 2:39p).]
polish german
nm

[This message has been edited by buddeh (edited 1/24/2006 2:40p).]
NoVAHawk
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

First, it appears from your website, and I may be wrong, but your copy right would be for "The 12th Man Foundation". Which, while admirable, is not the same as just simply the 12th man. This is a fundraising group for the Texas A&M athletic department.

Second, too many places and teams use the term, "the 12th man" for you to successfully copyright it. Are you going to sue ESPN over their use of "The 12th Man Challenge"?

Third, I looked on your website, and no where did I see anything that simply said "The 12th Man". Everything said "the 12th man foundation". Again, admirable, but not the same.

Finally, I think the real issue is that the 12th man foundation was organized in the 1940's which was after the Aggies won their first and only National title, (1939). So, this would actually be the first time that the term, which you incorrectly think is yours, will be on a national stage. Maybe if you all had a real football program that was also successful, then you wouldn't be so bothered by this.

That's all for now. Good luck with your lawsuit...and I'm sure the "Best Damn Sports Show would rather show more women on trampolines than deal with this stupid topic.

Go Hawks...and Roll Tide!!
MajorTexasFan
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're TEXAS, they're not.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, you are the university of Texas at Austin. Your school is no more "Texas" than UC-Berkley is.

Actually, that isn't true, under the reasoning of most people on this thread.

The University of Texas at Austin owns the trademark to the name "Texas" in many of its uses, under TMs including #s 1996363, 1439917, 1446255, and 1421130. Under TM # 1231407, it is the only school that can use "Texas" to refer to a University or college athletics.

Texas also owns the trademark over the phrase "We're Texas," trademark #2287575.

So, under trademark law, We're Texas.
polish german
2 things
A)
quote:
Username: NoVAHawk
Number of Posts: 1
Account Created: 1/24/2006 2:45:07 PM

B)http://finance.tamu.edu/licensing/tamu_trademarks.asp

i guess I have three really.
C)
Sefton
hawk-tide bandwagoner type dude -
Since you got in on this late, you're obviously missing the boat. Real quick, "12th Man" is a federally registered trademark with Texas A&M. The fact that you only used the foundation as a comparison only shows your ignorance on the matter.

Go away now.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
buddeh beat me to it

[This message has been edited by RoyIII_Ag08 (edited 1/24/2006 3:11p).]
Knut
AG
Hey NoVAHawk

It's on!!!
NoACDamnit
quote:
Third, I looked on your website, and no where did I see anything that simply said "The 12th Man". Everything said "the 12th man foundation". Again, admirable, but not the same.

You didn't look very hard. Maybe you should try again.

http://finance.tamu.edu/licensing/tamu_trademarks.asp

I'll save you the trouble. You seem a bit slow.

quote:
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Registered Word Marks:
Texas Aggies®
Texas A&M University®
Texas A&M®
12th Man®
12th Mania®
Fightin' Texas Aggie Band®
Silver Eagle
AG
quote:
Third, I looked on your website, and no where did I see anything that simply said "The 12th Man". Everything said "the 12th man foundation".

Must have missed this picture:

And this one:
NoACDamnit
Clearly photoshopped.
houstontexan
"This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

First, it appears from your website, and I may be wrong, but your copy right would be for "The 12th Man Foundation". Which, while admirable, is not the same as just simply the 12th man. This is a fundraising group for the Texas A&M athletic department.

Second, too many places and teams use the term, "the 12th man" for you to successfully copyright it. Are you going to sue ESPN over their use of "The 12th Man Challenge"?

Finally, I think the real issue is that the 12th man foundation was organized in the 1940's which was after the Aggies won their first and only National title, (1939). So, this would actually be the first time that the term, which you incorrectly think is yours, will be on a national stage. Maybe if you all had a real football program that was also successful, then you wouldn't be so bothered by this.

That's all for now. Good luck with your lawsuit...and I'm sure the "Best Damn Sports Show would rather show more women on trampolines than deal with this stupid topic.

Go Hawks...and Roll Tide!!"

gotta love bama fans chiming in and as educated as ever.
CavAg93
got it
polish german
houstontexan...put quotes around that. it looks like you typed it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.