Manchester United 2023-24 Thread

75,746 Views | 1831 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Showstopper
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If the Maguire one was a penalty so is that. Call it. I dare you.
Mathguy64
AG
Bwahaha. He's calling it.
Dre_00
Well...it's still a stupid rule but I can't complain about it being misapplied.
Mathguy64
AG
Both are so wrong its laughable. But I guess they cancelled out.
Showstopper
AG
I think it's the same rule basically, but application is different. They focus on whether it enlarged your body, so unless it's really close to your body it's a pen. Usually.
Aston94
AG
Both those handball calls are ridiculous, but it was called both ways so all is fair...for now.
Dre_00
Yes it is the same rule but the application is significantly different. CL appears to just completely remove any common sense or nuance to be applied. They remove any judgement from the ref. EPL kind of does but they also allow a nebulous concept of intent. I.e. if your arm is in a natural position for standing or jumping and you have no reasonable chance to move it before the ball hits your arm, it's not a pen. Clearly CL doesn't care about that. I wouldn't call either position unnatural for the action. Neither player could have reasonably been expected to move their arm as the ball arrived. CL don't care. PK.
Mathguy64
AG
Throwing crap at Bruno. Is this at Azteca?
Mathguy64
AG
Thats a soft goal. Onana needs to be on the post.
Dre_00
Nah, that's all on Dalot. Horrible defending to let Lerager get that look.
Showstopper
AG
You aren't saving many at that distance
planoaggie123
AG
Welp...
Showstopper
AG
We need points at Galatasaray to get Europa.
planoaggie123
AG
Showstopper said:

We need points at Galatasaray to get Europa.
If we just beat Bayern and Galatasaray i think we are ok
Aston94
AG
The only saving grace is that Munich will have nothing to play for in that game.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah beating Bayern should be easy. No worries at all.
Dre_00
Dalot directly responsible for the tying goal and the go ahead goal. No idea why ETH persists with him there now that AWB and Reguilon are back.
Dre_00
I have to say, I'm not really that upset about losing? Win or lose tonight, they were always going to need a result in Turkey to qualify in top 2. And this team is never, in a million years, going to get a result in Turkey. So do you really want to watch this team lose to Slavia Praha in the 1st knockout round of the Europa League? Almost a blessing to lose tonight and avoid Europa League. I want this team to play less games, not more, especially if the games I sacrifice are Europa League games.

If we drop entirely out of Europe, we will have only EPL games and perhaps 1 or 2 FA Cup games to contend with for the rest of the season. Sign me up. Get these players some rest. And let whomever the manager is in January have nothing to distract them from league play for the final half of the season.
Furlock Bones
AG
I can't tell y'all how happy I am this is all imploding after the sham sale process the Glazeholes put on.
Thunder18
AG
Tied with Luton at half. No offensive identity
Thunder18
AG
Lindelof gets us on the board...finally
oh no
AG
A second goal is coming. Can't have a scare with Luton Town!'
Thunder18
AG
Hojlund coming off seemingly with a hamstring issue. Great
Thunder18
AG
Another unnecessarily nervy win because we can't finish our chances
Aston94
AG
Until Hojlund, Gatnacho and Rashford start finishing this is going to be how games are played….
Dre_00
I didn't watch the game (was fighting against a losing battle against the water seeping into my cellar because IT NEVER STOPS RAINING HERE) but fair to say it was another underwhelming performance.

The wild thing is, this team is still in 6th. They are a mere 6 point behind Arsenal (with same number of games played...SIX!) Granted they'll likely be 8th again come Sunday evening but...how is this team even 8th? This has to be the least impressive, most boring 8th place team in EPL history, right?

I guess the silver lining is if they ever get their **** together, they'll be relatively close to where they ultimately want to be. Much closer than they deserve to be. But they don't exactly look like a team that is ever going to get their **** together so kind of a moot point.
Showstopper
AG
If you want something else crazy: we were in 7th with 21 points after 12 games last year. This year we are in 6th with 21 points. Three of the top four were Arsenal, Man City, and Spurs (remaining team was Liverpool this year and Newcastle last year).

Moral of the story: just need to wait around and for Spurs to go Spursy.

(In all seriousness, though, that actually is what we need to have happen. It is crazy that we are on the same number of points though because outside of the first two matches, even though we were pulling off lots of 1 goal wins last year as well, it sure felt like we were playing better last year. Don't listen to me, though, last year's version of me was still optimistic that Ronaldo and Sancho would come around).
Thunder18
AG
Eriksen out 4 weeks, Hojlund about 2 with injuries

Need to start catching a break on these injuries or we will be playing the U23s
oh no
AG
Thunder18 said:

the U23s
intrigued. how good are they?
Dre_00
Mainoo made the bench against Luton. Could be that he could start to get some sub appearances after the break especially with Eriksen out. Really would like to see Diallo back too but that doesn't appear to be anytime soon.
oh no
AG
US billionaire Leon Cooperman purchased a million shares of MUFC
Thunder18
AG
Richard Arnold stepping down as CEO
Dre_00
Presumably to be replaced by Ratcliffe when he officially becomes part owner...in 2026 at the rate things are going.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah I've seen speculation that Arnold is going now and Murtough isn't yet because the January window opens in six weeks, and you don't really need the CEO for the transfer window. (Plus you would expect a new director of football would prefer to take over for a summer window rather than a winter window where we typically pick up some table scraps).
Dre_00
Shaw is back in training. Hopefully can get sometime as a sub on Sunday. Seems like he's the only LB ETH actually likes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.