***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,036,801 Views | 21825 Replies | Last: 19 min ago by redline248
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This team is so bad Mattress Mac won't even take anyone's money.

GigEM96
Texaggie7nine said:

Did the Rangers break us last year?

Worst start in ten years and yet have a winning record against them so no.

fullback44
AG
Until we get some of these 5 injured starting pitchers back this will continue .. hopefully win some games till we can get 2-3 back
West Roxbury
I wish it was just the pitching but this team is anemic.
tjack16
AG
Salisbury on 790 going all in on ripping the Astros this morning.

Kind of refreshing to hear a media person not sugar coating it
DeProfundis
As I've said before Espada has to feel like he has some sort of voodoo curse. The level of suckitude of guys who should not be sucking is unreal. Bregman and Chas 1/8 of the way through the season without a homer? Bregman on pace for 38 RBI from the cleanup spot? Abreu/Pressly/Hader with a combined ERA over 21?

This is the season from Hell. The only players we have carrying their weight are Altuve, Pena, Tucker, Blanco, Montero, Diaz, Meyers and Martinez. Everyone else is struggling mightily
Boiling Denim
tjack16 said:

Football season starts tomorrow night. They're just getting their last last licks in before the Astros get banished to the shadow realm.
astroboy
AG
No, the rangers didn't break us, having all our starting rotation on the DL at sometime this year is. It always comes down to pitching.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
GigEM96 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Did the Rangers break us last year?

Worst start in ten years and yet have a winning record against them so no.

No they didn't. They were broken before or at minimum deep cracks were forming. This team started its free fall last August. Granted they made game 7 of the alcs but remember they barely made the playoffs because they kept getting thumped by garbage teams. Playoffs are looking more like a good stretch as opposed to righting the ship. Hope to be wrong.
The Porkchop Express
There is a 0.0% chance any Astros fan would ever say the Rangers broke us. No fan base would.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Farmer1906
AG
We went 30-25 to finish the year. Then won a playoff series fairly easily before dropping one in 7. Not sure I'd call that a freefall.

Its okay the acknowledge we were imperfect last year. But there was nothing showing from 23 and before that's we were going to start this terribly.
iBrad
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

There is a 0.0% chance any Astros fan would ever say the Rangers broke us. No fan base would.
It's a stupid premise. Teams don't get "broken" by other teams. Losing to the Rangers didn't cause all of our injuries and it sure didn't cause 5-6 guys to just absolutely suck this season.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
What is the timing for waiver claims on a guy who gets DFA'd? Would we know today whether the Astros picked up Cooper or not?
tjack16
AG
Below are NOT reasons the Astros suck right now

1. Rangers "breaking us". If that were the case then the nationals would have sent us into a downward spiral after 2019

2. Starting pitcher injuries. Are they injured? Yes. However Brown and France were in the rotation all year last year and they've completely crapped the bed and are a combined 0-7. We've also had great starts from Framber and Javier that still resulted in losses.
Even if we had the 2019 starting rotation we'd still be below .500 because this offense is anemic and the back end of the pen is god awful
AustinCountyAg
GigEM96 said:

If I understood it correctly, Click wanted to trade Urquidy for Contreras (or had a deal in place Crane nixed) and Crane shot that down and then disposed of Click after the season, for not being aggressive enough or something. After the team won a title.

Crane went with Brown, a talent evaluator with a very good draft history as GM but at the moment the Astros need a 'wheeler dealer' type GM, someone who can make a move or two to help right the ship.

problem is even if the astros wanted to wheel and deal right now all of the teams would bend us over because we have zero leverage, and we have nobody in the minors worthy of a decent return.
MaxPower
Plus half the guys in that rotation were hurt before the season and not really part of the plan (this year or last). I could just as easily say the position group has been quite fortunate to have zero injuries, while other teams have dealt with losing key bats.
linkdude
AG
Timing on the Javi injury is the worst part. Now you have to keep BOTH France and HB in the rotation, struggles or not. It's gotta wear on their confidence too, sending them to AAA would be pretty crushing, I feel.

If they don't start playing better very soon, the rest of the year should be focused on finding Bregs replacement and getting more pitchers up the pipeline. If we fall out of contention, I question what they would do on JVs vesting option. He still might be our next best option even next year.

Next year would still have a core of Altuve, Tuck, Alvarez, Pena, Diaz but how they would try to retool around them would be interesting.

Now go on a fifteen game win streak and make me call out my own pessimism! Dammit, Stros.
gambochaman
AG
dammit stros is exactly how I feel
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This team needs to get into an all out brawl with themselves or another team to wake their asses up
Mr.Bond
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

This team needs to get into an all out brawl with themselves or another team to wake their asses up

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

West Roxbury
tjack16 said:

Get after it. I'm all for it. Fine if they hear a few boos too.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Below are NOT reasons the Astros suck right now

1. Rangers "breaking us". If that were the case then the nationals would have sent us into a downward spiral after 2019

2. Starting pitcher injuries. Are they injured? Yes. However Brown and France were in the rotation all year last year and they've completely crapped the bed and are a combined 0-7. We've also had great starts from Framber and Javier that still resulted in losses.
Even if we had the 2019 starting rotation we'd still be below .500 because this offense is anemic and the back end of the pen is god awful

Yes and no with the SP injuries. We've had to have an emergency start of Henley, get Arighetti up before he was ready (who knows if he'll be), and we're forced to keep running out guys with issues without an option of replacing them. It has had a major impact, but the back end bullpen failure is a huge problem too.
Ag_07
AG
I think the 2 shakeups I'd make are moving Yordan out of the 2 spot and moving Bregman out of the 4 spot.

Yes I know the numbers say he'll get more ABs at 2 but it's just not working. How valuable are 50 more ABs if his production takes a slight dip and everyone else is sucking?

Not sure where you'd put Bregman but I'd put Yordan in the 3 hole and Tucker at 4.

F it...Throw him back in the 2 hole with Yordan protecting him and see if that gets him going.

Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
Diaz
Pena
Chas
Whatever craptastic 1Bman we're playing that night
Meyers/Doobie
MaxPower
I'd rather they leadoff Bregman. He has no power anyway. Leave Yordan at 2 and move Altuve to 3
Heineken-Ashi
Ag_07 said:

I think the 2 shakeups I'd make are moving Yordan out of the 2 spot and moving Bregman out of the 4 spot.

Yes I know the numbers say he'll get more ABs at 2 but it's just not working. How valuable are 50 more ABs if his production takes a slight dip and everyone else is sucking?

Not sure where you'd put Bregman but I'd put Yordan in the 3 hole and Tucker at 4.

F it...Throw him back in the 2 hole with Yordan protecting him and see if that gets him going.

Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
Diaz
Pena
Chas
Whatever craptastic 1Bman we're playing that night
Meyers/Doobie
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
The Porkchop Express
Put Bregman second and anytime Altuve is on, he has to sac bunt him to second (or third). Do something useful.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
BQRyno
AG
Whatever y'all are smoking to prefer Bregman in the 2 hole must be good stuff. I want him out of the 4 hole as well....but down to 8. He needs to show something before being anywhere higher then 6 in the lineup. If he produces, then sure, bump him up. For now, Pena needs to be batting 2nd. He's getting on base and he can make things happen on the basepaths. Also, he's producing now without being protected. How much better would he look with Alvarez and Tucker looming?
tjack16
AG
I'd be fine with trying Altuve at the 2 or 3 hole

That's where he hit until springer left. Maybe leadoff with Dubon or Pena? Idk might be too crazy

Pena
Altuve
Yordan
Tucker
Diaz
Bregman

Ag_07
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Put Bregman second and anytime Altuve is on, he has to sac bunt him to second (or third). Do something useful.

But pop-up bunts are the worst though
Ag_07
AG
Some the stat gurus can pull it but I feel like Bregman has had his most success as a 2 hole hitter.

And with Yordan behind him maybe that gets him some more pitches to hit.

I want to get him going. We need him to get going. I don't want to just hide him.

Plus I also wouldn't want to mess up any kind of mojo Pena has by moving him up and creating that extra pressure.
Frok
AG
Re-arranging the lineup is like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. No matter how you line it up there are too many crappy hitters in the lineup.

Farmer1906
AG
Frok said:

Re-arranging the lineup is like rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. No matter how you line it up there are too many crappy hitters in the lineup.

This. Some are severely overrating the lineup order.
Cromagnum
AG
Someone on the Tine board noticed that our home record is finally better than our road record.

BQRyno
AG
Frok said:

At a high level I agree, but if we only have 3 or maybe 4 good hitters and don't stack them, we have no chance to score. At least if they're all grouped up, each time we get to that part of the order, we have a chance to pick up a run or 2. That's better than we've been doing.
tjack16
AG
Cromagnum said:

Someone on the Tine board noticed that our home record is finally better than our road record.

If we split the next two then they will be identical records
First Page Last Page
Page 350 of 624

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.