Bob Huggins in trouble?

12,883 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by aggiebones
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So saying they wished they had a ***** is hateful?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Double Diamond said:

So saying they wished they had a ***** is hateful?

Did you actually listen to the clip? He uses the F word to disparage gay people not once but twice.
frenchtoast
I remember when you could say that F word on Texags without it being filtered out like the N word was. I guess one was seen as more damaging to recruiting than the other.
MarcAg
AG
When I saw the tweet and it said "Catholic F*$@" I assumed he said the typical f word. "Catholic f*cks". He apologizes and its over in a day if he had done that.

I figure at this point the school is meeting with attorneys and making sure they have their ducks in a row before they take any action.
Double Diamond
I think he was disparaging Xavier fans. Are they all gay? I'm not saying I would talk like this. But I think many are making this into something it isn't.
Double Diamond
Bob Huggins is the biggest person in the state. This goes that way it will rip that state apart and might take decades to recover. You have no idea how big Bob Huggins is.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Double Diamond said:

I think he was disparaging Xavier fans. Are they all gay? I'm not saying I would talk like this. But I think many are making this into something it isn't.

Might be time for that assisted living facility, pops.
Tobias Funke
AG
Double Diamond said:

Bob Huggins is the biggest person in the state. This goes that way it will rip that state apart and might take decades to recover. You have no idea how big Bob Huggins is.
This is the most amazingly extreme hyperbole imaginable
Method Man
He said he's sorry. Move on.
livinmw
I seriously doubt they fire him and I would think even if they do, somebody else will hire him and life will go on for Huggins. That's just the world we live in and they compete in.
GIG EM AGGIES!!!
GrayMatter
AG
MarcAg said:

When I saw the tweet and it said "Catholic F*$@" I assumed he said the typical f word. "Catholic f*cks". He apologizes and its over in a day if he had done that.
I thought that too that's why I didn't bother looking into it until curiosity got the best of me, but it is a lot worse.

As a leader, he should know better. I'm tired of the old adage, "I didn't intend it that way" or "I didn't intend to hurt anyone", etc.

How else are we take it if it came from your mouth? You can't blame anyone for trying to make sense or be appalled by what you said.

But I get it, he didn't apologize because he really meant it, he apologized because he's/they're afraid of the fallout.
DTP02
AG
Method Man said:

He said he's sorry. Move on.

What a novel concept!

We love our outrage too much for that to catch on, though.
agfan2332
I think we need to try and get out of this cancel culture world and try to allow people to make up for the mistakes they've made and acknowledge.

Here's what I know...Huggs knows he screwed up and he's not hiding from that. I agree that what was said was dumb. I also know that the context of the conversation was centered around a nasty rivalry between UC and Xavier and the event in question is what triggered the comments. Still doesn't make saying what he said right, but it was clearly a bad joke on his part.

He's done more good for people than bad during his career and the players, coaches and other people that have been under him would say the same thing. In situation's like this, if the person acknowledges their screw up and is willing to do whatever is asked of them to make up for their mishap, then they should be afforded that opportunity.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ah, yes. It's time to blame "cancel culture" now. We've come full circle. Build a statue of Huggins because it was "just a joke." He's a hero to all who don't believe in repercussions.
HossAg
AG
The only thing he's learning from his "mistake" is to make sure to only say that stuff in private and that he might lose his job.
Serious Lee
thing i love the most about old people is they give zero f***s.

no, i did not say that forbidden F word.
Method Man
It's cool to make fun of Catholics, but not gays. Got it. Some people are more special than others.
Method Man
He said he made a mistake and apologized. Should he be given 100 lashes?
Method Man
Yes. I'm sure you've never said anything or texted anything to friends that could get you fired if you said in public because you're a good person unlike Huggins.
HossAg
AG
Method Man said:

Yes. I'm sure you've never said anything or texted anything to friends that could get you fired if you said in public because you're a good person unlike Huggins.

Maybe when I was a dumb teenager. I don't do that as a grown adult with a developed brain.
Method Man
You don't say anything (anything!) to friends that you wouldn't say in public? I'm not talking about this word. I'm talking about crude humor or things the news tells you to pretend to be offended by.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Method Man said:

You don't say anything (anything!) to friends that you wouldn't say in public? I'm not talking about this word. I'm talking about crude humor or things the news tells you to pretend to be offended by.
He sounds like a fun person to hang out with.
HossAg
AG
There are a lot of crude things you can say and get away with in an interview that don't involve slurs. It happens all the time.
Quail
HossAg said:

There are a lot of crude things you can say and get away with in an interview that don't involve slurs. It happens all the time.
I am Catholic!! Where is my apology!! String him up!! I bet that man has done more good than bad for the City of Morgantown and all his players!
What he said was stupid and he will face a suspension but that should be it. You want the man crucified over this.
Yet, we are not offended when our athletes break the law. We are not offended by lyrics that are being played daily in the locker room and before games.
I am offended by being offended!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

I can't speak for anyone else but that F word is not in my vocabulary, in public or in private. Clearly he's comfortable using the word so much so that he said it twice on a ****ing radio show when he is the head coach of a high profile program. I'm sure at this point in his career he's coached multiple gay players. I wonder how they feel about their former coach using a word that is designed to denigrate the whole community.
Tobias Funke
AG
Here's a scenario:

You're invited to speak on an industry panel at a conference where your company leadership and your top clients will be in attendance. During the presentation, you make a joke that the employees at your biggest competitor are a bunch of "f**s".

How many of you are still employed by that company the next week? None. The answer is none of you.

I'm baffled that so many of you think it's ridiculous that Huggins could be canned for this. Welcome to the world!
HossAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Method Man said:

I can't speak for anyone else but that F word is not in my vocabulary, in public or in private. Clearly he's comfortable using the word so much so that he said it twice on a ****ing radio show when he is the head coach of a high profile program. I'm sure at this point in his career he's coached multiple gay players. I wonder how they feel about their former coach using a word that is designed to denigrate the whole community.
Yeah that F word doesn't fall under standard "crude humor". There's plenty of things people say around friends that wouldn't necessarily be appropriate or appreciated in an interview. Then there's things like that that shouldn't be tolerated at all in any setting.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Method Man said:

Probably depends if these mythical gay players seek out being victims or not.
Method Man
Stephen A smith said the N word as has Bill Maher. Just gotta be on the right team.
Method Man
The offensive word of the day is a constantly moving target. The idea is to keep changing the things to be offended by so you can reap the benefits of being a victim. I know you guys mean well and there are words I don't say but it's pretty obvious this is the case. Used to be calling someone queer was bad but now it's ok. You're being led around by people who are terrible people but want to make themselves feel noble
Tobias Funke
AG
If you truly believe that, there wouldn't be "words you don't say". I guess you're being led around too to a degree, huh?
Method Man
Being offended is on a spectrum.
Quail
Tobias Funke said:

Here's a scenario:

You're invited to speak on an industry panel at a conference where your company leadership and your top clients will be in attendance. During the presentation, you make a joke that the employees at your biggest competitor are a bunch of "f**s".

How many of you are still employed by that company the next week? None. The answer is none of you.

I'm baffled that so many of you think it's ridiculous that Huggins could be canned for this. Welcome to the world!

If he is your 5-Star QB or 5 Star Point guard, do you kick him out of school?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Method Man said:

Being offended is on a spectrum.

To be clear, I'm not offended by anything Huggins said. I think he's an idiot and probably going to lose his job which with I have zero problem. But I'm not running around trying to play victim here.

It does sadden me that some people try to downplay incidents like this and if someone is upset with what was said they're trying to gain something out of being fake offended.
Mikeyshooter
AG
I think people are downplaying it because it's just words. He didn't punch someone. He didn't beat up his wife. He said something stupid that has no real affect on anything.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.