The case for Buzz has fizzled

12,408 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by BudFox7
NowhereMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A&M saw the top of Buzz Williams game last night, a team with fight and no quit.
It was reflective of the season, dig a hole and fight out of it until you finally can't dig out.
The song of Roland for those of you who know French historical fiction.
Entertaining yes but circular in effect.

Buzzball got things half right, foul and get to the line, half wrong his players missed the shots.

No plan B
No subs who could make foul shots when the starters were missing
No confrontation of bad choices
No ripping the ref for bad calls
No disguise from what he did Friday

It worked Friday so keep doing the same thing until it works tonight was so Jimbo.

It's Bill Parcel's philosophy of coaching that teams need a new one every five years.
Buzz will be back next year and it is a safe bet the results will be worse.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Big Gulps, huh? Alright.
aginlakeway
AG
NowhereMan said:

A&M saw the top of Buzz Williams game last night, a team with fight and no quit.
It was reflective of the season, dig a hole and fight out of it until you finally can't dig out.

Buzzball got things half right, foul and get to the line, half wrong his players missed the shots.

No plan B

It worked Friday so keep doing the same thing until it works tonight was so Jimbo.

It's Bill Parcel's philosophy of coaching that teams need a new one every five years.

Your last few predictions:

"Aggie are not getting in too little too late A10 Duquesne just popped their bubble."

"The NCAA is not happening the NIT is at risk."
Pumpkinhead
AG
So what is your specific solution? People who just bring up problems without specific solutions are no fun to interact with.

Are you cutting bait with Buzz Williams? If so, specifically who are you hiring? Pretend you are our athletic director and give us your exact plan for getting to a Final Four.
Mikeyshooter
AG
NowhereMan said:

No subs

The only thing you got right. The roster isn't elite or even Top 25 good. The fact that we didn't get blown off the court by a #1 seed is because of the culture Buzz has created.

JJxvi
AG
We should hire Bill Parcells!
aggiez03
AG
Why didn't Buzz just tell them to MAKE THE FREE THROWS ? How stupid of him.

Also, Why didn't Buzz just put in guys who haven't played ALL YEAR as they would OBVIOUSLY be better.

Wow...

Jack Boyett
AG
Why didn't Buzz think to practice free throws all year?
PJYoung
AG
Also a post from NowhereMan:

Quote:

The NCAA is not happening the NIT is at risk.

If Buzz fails to make the NIT then cut the bait cause he's never cutting a net here.

Wiggy4heisman2023
When you're the dumbest person in the room. Its better to remain quiet instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt.
Gyles Marrett
NowhereMan said:

No plan B

1. half right? If we just shoot average on FT's we win. How is that half right by Buzz? I am not his biggest supporter but I don't see how you put on Buzz's the PLAYERS shooting unusually poorly their FT. Grow up and make the shots if your at the line if you want to be in the big time.

2. You wanted him to sub out our best players who were the ones getting to the line to try to just find a guy who can make FT's who we don't even know would have gotten to the line himself? huh?

3. I did see him talking to the refs plenty. I'm sure every ref is different and responds differently to how coaches get on to them. But I'd prefer to not act like an emotional baby on the sideline. You can get your point across without acting like a clown.
WestGalvestonAggie
Buzz honestly couldn't have come up with a better game plan. Houston is light years better than A&M. Hit your free throws at even a decent level and you upset a number 1 seed. What the hell more do you people want? It was right there for the taking. He can't make the guys execute. Coaching was not the problem for this game.
ColoAg95
AG
I am constantly up and down on Buzz, but it's silly to talk about being done with him. I laugh when I look at Shaka and Rick Barnes succeeding elsewhere.

If we had a high-end shooter and an elite big guy, this team would be unstoppable. We showed well in the tourney. The up and down through the season seems like a mental issue, but I don't know how you get up for every game.

I'd like to know if they found a gym to workout in on Saturday. The missed FTs were unacceptable and cost us the game. If that was the result of taking a saturday off, then it's on Buzz. Otherwise, it happens. Wade was feeling the pressure for sure. I felt bad for him.

The game is changing for sure. Would you rather have 3 stars playing 6 years or 5-star 18 yr olds one-and-done? That is killing bball and adding to the upsets.
Muy
AG
Call us when UH blows everyone out on the way to the Final 4
texAZtea
AG
If OP isn't a bot, they should consider getting a bot to write their posts because the outcome couldn't be worse than this.
RARay
AG
The Ags' FT% for the season was 70.6. Last night it was 64.4. If they had shot their average they would have only gained three points. Despite what it looked like in the first half, free throws weren't really a problem.
PJYoung
AG
RARay said:

The Ags' FT% for the season was 70.6. Last night it was 64.4. If they had shot their average they would have only gained three points. Despite what it looked like in the first half, free throws weren't really a problem.
Wait, only 3 points?

You realize that means we probably would've won in regulation, right?
aggiez03
AG
Op is clueless.

in 24 seasons, A&M has eclipsed 70% free throw percentage 5 TIMES, Buzz was coach for 3 of them...

https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/3451942
Credit clem93

coloradoag69
AG
Even with the free throws, we still couldn't stop UH all night except for the last two minutes of regulation. They shot 23 of 32 of their twos which is over 70%. That's really tough to overcome - more than the free throws IMO.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, that's kind of a silly argument, three points wins us the game.

I think the thing when people talk about free throws is to drill down on who we're specifically talking about. Last night Boots was 6/11, nobody else missed more than two free throws so you could just argue sample size for most everyone else.

Big picture, Manny obviously has to get better at free throws. If he's going to be a central figure on our offense driving to the basket he can't shoot 58% at the stripe or he's a liability late in games. Same with Carter at 62%, he was 0/2 last night.
Muy
AG
My sip friends are more positive about their horrible play in the tourney and loss to a very poor version of Tennessee than the Ags are about taking the #1 seed to the wire.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
coloradoag69 said:

Even with the free throws, we still couldn't stop UH all night except for the last two minutes of regulation. They shot 23 of 32 of their twos which is over 70%. That's really tough to overcome - more than the free throws IMO.

they flat out didn't miss. every time we needed them to miss they went down and hit a highly contested bucket. i think we played a heck of a game, played our guts out but we got beat by a better team. we could have won but have to give credit to houston they are a heck of team and are very tough physically and mentally.
85AustinAg
AG
Each player shoots 100 free throws a day at practice.
PJYoung
AG
85AustinAg said:

I think they have to MAKE 100 free throws a day.
Sterling82
Free throws were a huge problem, regardless of the analysis indicating only 3 additional points. The season average is just that…it includes bad nights and good ones. You can't afford a bad one against a 1 seed. If I'm not mistaken we missed 3 of 4 FTs in overtime also. You make those 3, we're down 3 instead of 6…big difference at that stage.

As for the strategy, I thought we should have gone away from trying so desperately to get to the rim when we started losing touch on the scoreboard. At that point we were turning it over trying to force it. I would have preferred kicking it out to Taylor to try to get him in rhythm, or to anyone for that matter. But I'm not deriding Buzz for that. At the end of the day his coaching gives us a chance to win.
RARay
AG
PJYoung said:

RARay said:

Wait, only 3 points?

You realize that means we probably would've won in regulation, right?
Incredible missing of the point. Free throw shooting last night was not out of character
aginlakeway
AG
PJYoung said:

85AustinAg said:

Yep. Amazing how posters seem to think we don't practice enough FTs. And that it's thus the coach's fault when we miss them in a game.

I can tell you first hand that FTs made and missed are about the last thing a coach can control.
bobinator
AG
It kind of is. 6 percentage points is a lot when you take 45 of those shots. Especially because they're unguarded shots that you can't attribute to the defense making harder.
GrayMatter
AG
I think the OP forgets that we played a #1 seed and one of the best teams all season long. In order to have beat UH, we would have had to play a near flawless game. Our game plan almost worked but it had nothing to do with the charity stripe misses.

Their guards are among the best in the nation; you gotta give credit where credit is due. These guys aren't at Mark Sears or Zakai Zeigler level; they're better.
bobinator
AG
They also just made some incredibly tough shots last night. They shot 72% from 2 and a lot of those shots were contested.

Everyone's talking about free throws but the difference in this game was their ability to hit contested shots inside the arc versus our inability to do it. They were 72% from 2 and we were 40%. Even with all of our offensive rebounding advantage and getting to the free throw line that's just too much to overcome.

The biggest single thing we need to improve on between this year and next year is that our guards have to get better at finishing near the basket against good competition. Taylor is always going to struggle at this a little bit because he's limited athletically but there's no reason Manny should be 4/12 on twos.

Wade was cold from 3 but overall we still actually ended up better from beyond the arc than they did. (34.8% to 32.4%)
RARay
AG
bobinator said:

It kind of is. 6 percentage points is a lot when you take 45 of those shots. Especially because they're unguarded shots that you can't attribute to the defense making harder.
I'm not saying that missed free throws didn't affect the game, but that they did not affect the game in an abnormal-for-this-team way. Much more impactful was Taylor shooting 5-26. That's 19%. Houston didn't have any player under 38%.
bobinator
AG
We were below our normal 2pt% by the same amount that we were below our FT%, 6%, and our three point numbers were actually better than our average.

We can highlight Taylor shooting 19% from the field, but at least he was 89% at the line. Boots was 45% from the field, but 54% at the line on 11 shots.

And I'm willing to give Houston's defense a lot more credit for bringing down our 2pt% than I am bringing down our FT% by 6 points.
RARay
AG
bobinator said:

We were below our normal 2pt% by the same amount that we were below our FT%, 6%, and our three point numbers were actually better than our average.

We can highlight Taylor shooting 19% from the field, but at least he was 89% at the line. Boots was 45% from the field, but 54% at the line on 11 shots.

And I'm willing to give Houston's defense a lot more credit for bringing down our 2pt% than I am bringing down our FT% by 6 points.
All fair. Both drops are worth about 3 points. The Ags were who they are last night and got beat, barely, by a superior team that played rugby in the paint.
Heineken-Ashi
PJYoung said:

85AustinAg said:

The problem isn't being able to stand there and make a shot. It's being able to push out all the emotions and distractions and hit them in a live setting. Usally after hitting the deck or getting hacked hard. So a guy standing there for 100 tries doing a repetitive motion is fine. But I'd rather have 10 reps per practice where someone hacks him and then he goes and makes two in a row with a bunch of guys up in his space trying to distract him.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
aggiebones
AG
RARay said:

those three Fritos would've looked mighty nice at the end of regulation.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.