The case for Buzz has fizzled

12,772 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BudFox7
nonregdaduck75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggieEyes
AG
The offense should have gone through Boots in OT.

Taylor tried to overcompensate and do too much to will the team to a victory.

Credit to UH guards for being absolute DAWGS but this would be an Aggie victory if we played our usual caliber.

Complete Idiot
No confrontation of bad choices
No ripping the ref for bad calls

How are you measuring these categories? Were you near the bench during the game?

Also, can you explain further what you meant by "No disguise from what he did Friday"
aginlakeway
AG
Complete Idiot said:

How are you measuring these categories? Were you near the bench during the game?

Also, can you explain further what you meant by "No disguise from what he did Friday"

Aggie radio seemed to indicate that he did.
PJYoung
AG
Here is Buzz not confronting an official.

aginlakeway
AG
PJYoung said:

I thought we were told just a few posts ago that Buzz didn't rip "the ref for bad calls?"

So that was incorrect?
aggiez03
AG
PJYoung said:

It was a definite travel. One of many non-calls by the officials in the 2nd half.

I realize we received more foul calls than they did, but all that means is that they fouled more.

Billy touched on this in his segment today. They swallowed their whistle for the 1st part of the 2nd half trying to even it out, even though that is not their job.

It felt like the holding calls against Myles Garrett back when he was here, eventually they just stopped calling it cause it would be on 30-50% of plays and they weren't going to interrupt the game that much. Still pisses me off. Rules are rules for a reason. If they hold 10 plays in a row, they should call it every time.
DallasAggie87
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

NowhereMan said:

No subs

The only thing you got right. The roster isn't elite or even Top 25 good. The fact that we didn't get blown off the court by a #1 seed is because of the culture Buzz has created.

So many Ags, who don't really follow college basketball, fail to understand this.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
aggiez03 said:

PJYoung said:

It was a definite travel. One of many non-calls by the officials in the 2nd half.

I realize we received more foul calls than they did, but all that means is that they fouled more.

Billy touched on this in his segment today. They swallowed their whistle for the 1st part of the 2nd half trying to even it out, even though that is not their job.

It felt like the holding calls against Myles Garrett back when he was here, eventually they just stopped calling it cause it would be on 30-50% of plays and they weren't going to interrupt the game that much. Still pisses me off. Rules are rules for a reason. If they hold 10 plays in a row, they should call it every time.

100% accurate assessment on the fouls in the 2nd half. my daughter who is 10 and has played one seasons of basketball was hammering me with questions on how those fouls were not being called. she is 10 and she noticed the difference. the first ten minutes of the second half they were killing us every time we went to the basket and they didn't call it at all.
Notorious123
AG
Maybe if buzz recruits people and practiced free throws then we wouldn't have to worry about that
Notorious123
AG
Coaching was 100% the problem. We always have struggled at free throws. That is definitely a coaching problem. Maybe instead of being such a mentor he should actually coach.
Complete Idiot
Notorious123 said:

Coaching was 100% the problem. We always have struggled at free throws. That is definitely a coaching problem. Maybe instead of being such a mentor he should actually coach.
3 of the top 5, out of the past 20 years, Aggie season free throw shooting percentages have been for Buzz Williams coached teams.
Gap
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Notorious123 said:

3 of the top 5, out of the past 20 years, Aggie season free throw shooting percentages have been for Buzz Williams coached teams.
We were ranked #243 nationally in free throw % this year.

Guards shoot a lot more free throws in 2024 than they did in 2004 when the ball was pounded low to the bigs much more often. The peer comparison tells the story of how we compare to the world.

I believe we were 13 of 14 in FT % in the SEC this year with only Mississippi St. being behind us.

Utopia61
Are you really this dumb about basketball, or is your post a joke? Stick to commenting on things you know something about. It is apparent that basketball is not in your area of expertise.
Second2None
AG
"Buzz didn't look to sub with guys that can make free throws."

That is based on a massive assumption that those subs have the athleticism and ability to blow by their defender and put the defense out of position causing them to foul.

IF the subs can't do that, it doesn't matter if they can make free throws....they would never get to the line.
TAMUallen
AG
Buzz is here for another 2 years. Take it or leave it, that's just what it will be. We aren't a basketball school and the money isn't there.
Pumpkinhead
AG
NowhereMan said:

A&M saw the top of Buzz Williams game last night, a team with fight and no quit.
It was reflective of the season, dig a hole and fight out of it until you finally can't dig out.
The song of Roland for those of you who know French historical fiction.
Entertaining yes but circular in effect.

Buzzball got things half right, foul and get to the line, half wrong his players missed the shots.

No plan B
No subs who could make foul shots when the starters were missing
No disguise from what he did Friday

It worked Friday so keep doing the same thing until it works tonight was so Jimbo.

It's Bill Parcel's philosophy of coaching that teams need a new one every five years.
Buzz will be back next year and it is a safe bet the results will be worse.
The bolded part of a boldly stated opinion (pun intended) of this OP is classic TexAgs opining.
MarcAg
AG
TAMUallen said:

Buzz is here for another 2 years. Take it or leave it, that's just what it will be. We aren't a basketball school and the money isn't there.

So you think he is keeping his job because we don't have money?
LB12Diamond
AG
A&M's offense was playing at a very high level this past month. A high level vary rarely seen by A&M.

Scored the most points all year against the number one defensive team in the country that held most of their opponents below 50.

A&M set a school record for most points in the first fall against Nebraska in the tournament. 58 points. The previous record was 44.

A&M scored over 90 points 4 games in a row against solid competition. Thats only happened one other time in the past 20 years.
Sterling82
MarcAg said:

TAMUallen said:

So you think he is keeping his job because we don't have money?

I think he'll be here because he's done a good job. The last thing we need at the moment is to fool around and bring in the next Melvin Watkins. Buzz needs to improve some things but he's not close to needing to be replaced.
DTP02
AG
NowhereMan said:

A&M saw the top of Buzz Williams game last night, a team with fight and no quit.
It was reflective of the season, dig a hole and fight out of it until you finally can't dig out.

Buzzball got things half right, foul and get to the line, half wrong his players missed the shots.

No plan B

It worked Friday so keep doing the same thing until it works tonight was so Jimbo.

It's Bill Parcel's philosophy of coaching that teams need a new one every five years.

When you've prematurely decided that you're out on a team and a coach before the season is over, you've poisoned the well to the point you're left trying to justify what was a poor and hasty decision.

So you're left looking like this instead of appreciating our tourney performance like the fans who didn't already bury this team.
MooreTrucker
AG
Muy said:

My sip friends are more positive about their horrible play in the tourney and loss to a very poor version of Tennessee than some Ags are about taking the #1 seed to the wire.
Not all of us are as negative as the OP, or the usual suspects on this board that are neg about everything.
AggieCrew44
AG
NowhereMan said:

No plan B

I just want to know how much TexAgs pays y'all to stir up this level of interaction

That or people are dumber than I thought
NyAggie
AG
aggiez03 said:

PJYoung said:

I fully expected the refs to eat the whistle in the 2nd half to try and "even it up"

they are not supposed to do that, but human nature when they get an earful from the coach of the team that's getting called for all the fouls.

and yet we still shot more free throws and should have made more than we did and won that game in regulation

I always say it: basketball is the one game where refs have more control over the outcome than in any other sport.

NowhereMan
Usually bad choices result in a substitution that did not happen I do not need to be near the bench because players were not benched

The out of bounds that was not an out of bounds should have received a more furious rebuke.

A&M played the same exact game that they played against Nebraska, no new wrinkles, it was easy to defend.

The main point of my post is that this season is the high water mark for Buzz, a team with grit that played well enough to get to overtime in round 2. If that is satisfactory fine.

Buzz ain't getting A&M to the final four.

We don't have a single player from Europe or any of the prep schools that the best kids play in.
Yes that to me is because of Buzz.

MooreTrucker
AG
NowhereMan said:

Usually bad choices result in a substitution that did not happen I do not need to be near the bench because players were not benched

The out of bounds that was not an out of bounds should have received a more furious rebuke.

A&M played the same exact game that they played against Nebraska, no new wrinkles, it was easy to defend.

The main point of my post is that this season is the high water mark for Buzz, a team with grit that played well enough to get to overtime in round 2. If that is satisfactory fine.

We don't have a single player from Europe or any of the prep schools that the best kids play in.

Bolded are quintessential TexAgs definitive "I know everything about it" statements that usually come back on whoever says them when they turn out to be wrong.

Here's to this being the case as well.
Schrute Farms
NowhereMan said:

"Buzz ain't getting into the NIT"
"Buzz ain't getting into the tournament."
"Buzz ain't getting a tournament win"
….
"Buzz ain't getting to the Final Four"

I'm not exactly mad about how these predictions tend to play out.
Topher17
AG
NowhereMan said:

"It was easy to defend"

It was so easy to defend that we scored more points in regulation than Houston, the #2 defense in the country, had given up the entire season.

aginlakeway
AG
NowhereMan said:

If it was so easy to defend, how did we score so many points against Houston's defense?

Your last few predictions:

"Aggie are not getting in too little too late A10 Duquesne just popped their bubble."

"The NCAA is not happening the NIT is at risk."
aginlakeway
AG
Topher17 said:

NowhereMan said:

"It was easy to defend"

It was so easy to defend that we scored more points in regulation than Houston, the #2 defense in the country, had given up the entire season.

VERY fair question.
Jack Cheese
AG
RARay said:

The Ags' FT% for the season was 70.6. Last night it was 64.4. If they had shot their average they would have only gained three points. Despite what it looked like in the first half, free throws weren't really a problem.

A lot of misses were the front end of 1-and-1. Those are killers.
LB12Diamond
AG
I still find it interesting that our offense is being blamed by some for the loss.

Prior to the game. If someone had asked me if I would take 86 points in regulation. After looking at Houston's schedule and results from this year. 110%!!
MarcAg
AG
Yeah as Buzz said postgame the issue in overtime was the issue they had throughout the first 40 minutes, they just couldn't get enough stops on the defensive end.
Double Diamond
Who do you think Texas A&M can get better? I ask you who. Buzz Williams is a good coach one of the best A&M has ever had.
Double Diamond
TAMUallen said:

Two years? It'll be much longer than two years unless Buzz takes another job.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.