The case for Buzz has fizzled

12,409 Views | 139 Replies | Last: 26 days ago by BudFox7
PGAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DTP02 said:

Double Diamond said:

bdp514am said:

There is no doubt that buzz needs to reexamine his defensive philosophy. Basketball has changed a lot in 10 years. A shooter would mask the deficiencies, but bottom line is you can't chase the bb in this day and age. Good teams will make you pay

Funny thing is this wasn't the defense Buzz ran a decade ago.

IMO Buzz has already signaled a change in approach is coming defensively.

Of course available personnel will dictate some of that as well.

I don't think there is any doubt that the change in the charge rules definitely impacted Buzz's defensive style. Probably cost us 5 or so turnovers per game.
NumeroUno
AG
I get what you say about the statistics and points per shot and it may very well tell you to let them shoot 3's. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Anxious to see how the team gets put together next year and what players come back.
LB12Diamond
AG
Maybe do defense like UH. Just a thought.
bobinator
AG
Yes. I agree. Let's do defense like UH and offense like UCONN and we should be good to go. Not sure why this is so difficult.
LB12Diamond
AG
Stay on topic. Posts and performance are showing the defense needs changed.
Hop
Staff
AG
Bigsexxy96 said:

Hop said:

Bigsexxy96 said:

bobinator said:

Bigsexxy96 said:

Have to dig deeper than the percentages my friend. 11 made 3's in the game and almost all of them wide open. Couple that with our missed free throws and it's an "L".
You don't really. Here's another way to look at it. By them shooting all of those threes, we weren't fouling them on drives to the basket.

We shot 45 free throws to their 30.

When an opponent shoots a 3 at 32.4%, that shot has an expected value of about one point. (To make the math easy, it's going to go in a third of the time, when it does go in it's worth three points, so the value of each shot is about 1 point.)

Houston shot 72% from 2. That's a value of 1.44 points per shot.

And they shot 70% at the free throw line. That's a value of .7 points per shot, but usually they're going to get two shots so that's also an expected value of 1.4 points per trip to the line.

So which shot do we want our opponents to take?

Houston attempted 11 more 3 point shots than their average this year. Even though they shot close to their average %, that's still 9 more points (keeping the math simple for you here) from 3 than if they would have shot their average. Not to mention the 3 point showing being the single biggest momentum changer/ driver in the game. We have lived and died by the opponents 3 point shooting all season and we died by it on Sunday.

You do see the irony of bringing up math after bobinator took you through the expected values scenario and showing clearly UH's expected value on 2's was significantly higher than 3's…which is the math.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Can you see the irony in continuing to bring it up when we obviously have our own opinions?

There is nothing to "agree to disagree". Your math is wrong….period.
JJxvi
AG
Awww **** what happened in here now?
bobinator
AG
We're doing math. With varying degrees of success.
JJxvi
AG
The "foul on the one and one" question seems relatively simple, mathematically.

You know the percentage of the foul shooter you're fouling, so its a simple points per possession calculation. It worth it to foul if you can get a shooter to the line who has an expected points lower than your normal defensive efficiency (probably with some sort of a buffer that accounts for the negative value of the foul itself).

Like no way should you foul a 70% free throw shooter because thats 1.19 expected points (or 119 points per 100 possessions.) 119 is a terrible defensive efficiency. However, as the free throw percentage of the shooter you're fouling goes down, its more worth it. A 60% shooter on the line for a one and one is 0.96 points or 96 points per 100 possessions. That's the equivalent of good defense, but you still shouldn't do it if you can already just play 96 level defensive efficiency already straight up.
StinkyPinky
AG
bobinator said:

We're doing math. With varying degrees of success.
I bet someone didn't carry the 2. Hate when that happens.
bobinator
AG
I think it's more interesting as an end-of-game strategy if the game is tied and the game clock is under the shot clock.

You'd get absolutely roasted if it didn't work, but I bet the math works out.
Adam87inSA
AG
JJxvi said:

The "foul on the one and one" question seems relatively simple, mathematically.

You know the percentage of the foul shooter you're fouling, so its a simple points per possession calculation. It worth it to foul if you can get a shooter to the line who has an expected points lower than your normal defensive efficiency (probably with some sort of a buffer that accounts for the negative value of the foul itself).

Like no way should you foul a 70% free throw shooter because thats 1.19 expected points (or 119 points per 100 possessions.) 119 is a terrible defensive efficiency. However, as the free throw percentage of the shooter you're fouling goes down, its more worth it. A 60% shooter on the line for a one and one is 0.96 points or 96 points per 100 possessions. That's the equivalent of good defense, but you still shouldn't do it if you can already just play 96 level defensive efficiency already straight up.
the old NBA "Hack-a-Shaq" strategy from back n the day
NumeroUno
AG
You're wrong and such a d***head Hop. I'm glad you're the all knowing and nobody else can have an opinion without being wrong. I guess there's a reason your a reporter and not in the real world.
AggieCrew44
AG
Bigsexxy96 said:

You're wrong and such a d***head Hop. I'm glad you're the all knowing and nobody else can have an opinion without being wrong. I guess there's a reason your a reporter and not in the real world.
Never knew math was an opinion lmao
MooreTrucker
AG
Damn, son.

You can have an opinion, and it can be wrong based on facts. And you can maintain that opinion in the face of those facts, but you'll still be wrong.
agent-maroon
AG
Math is kind of like the rest of life - it's hard. It's even harder when you're... well, you know.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
NumeroUno
AG
The opinion is how you look at the math.
AggieCrew44
AG
No. The opinion is whether to use the math or not, which would seem like a dumb thing to not do
NumeroUno
AG
True when your opinion isn't based on facts.
NumeroUno
AG
That's not correct. Both opinions were based on math and support different points of view. Neither may be right and neither may be wrong. We lost the game because UH scored more points. The debate was where the point differential was. 3 pt shooting, 2 pt shooting or free throws. Pay attention.
Hop
Staff
AG
Bigsexxy96 said:

Well, bobinator laid out the math on it and quite a few people agree. You can have opinions about a lot of things and in most cases it is a gray area depending on your perception of things. This one argument is black and white. Telling me and others we are wrong and we need to look at it from a "deeper perception" without providing any data just doesn't cut it. I apologize if that offended you.
NumeroUno
AG
Well you could take a little of your own advice. I was simply pointing out that even though they shot their avg 3 pt % for the season, they made 3 more than average which is 9 points more than they average scoring in a game. Based on my evaluations of games, we give up a lot of wide open 3 pointers trying to double team and guard down low. Whether by design or not, bobinators stats may mean that it is by design, giving up wide open 3's have been a trend all year. Not to mention we did not make FT's like we should have. Had we made a reasonable amount of FT's, nothing else would've mattered. And I don't believe I said anyone was wrong before you did to me. If you or I, or anyone debating here, knew precisely what we were talking about then maybe we would be coaching rather than debating on here.
Proposition Joe
No dog in this fight, but trust that if Hop is wrong about the math he'll just disappear from the thread like when he told us all a team that lets their opponent shoot 50% from the field loses 90% of their games.
Jack Cheese
AG
To the guy with the thin skin who oddly changed his username in the middle of this thread, and who has somehow avoided a ban - please demonstrate that you at least grasp the math if you're going to argue against it. So far you haven't done so.

Continuing to repeat that UH hit 3 more threes than their season average does nothing to refute bobinator's post. His math completely accounts for that if you'll quit being emotional and work a little harder at understanding it.
LawHall88
AG
At the end of the day, it's about offensive efficiency, and points per possession is the best measure I know of. For the season, Houston averaged 1.114 point per possession, in the last game they scored 1.215. I don't think that is a big enough gap to draw any meaningful conclusions, and still begs the question as to why they scored at the rate they did.
bobinator
AG
I mean it was their two point rate. 72% is other worldly. It was 5% better than any other game of theirs this season and the second place game was Longwood and that one is 8% higher than the third place game. And it was also easily the highest we've given up this season. Combine that with a much higher than normal free throw rate and a low turnover rate and you have your answer.

But unlike other games where we've fouled a lot or the opponent had been good from two, I think you just have to give most of the credit to Houston. It's not like we were giving up free runs at the basket defensively, they hit tough shot after tough shot.
Hop
Staff
AG
Proposition Joe said:

No dog in this fight, but trust that if Hop is wrong about the math he'll just disappear from the thread like when he told us all a team that lets their opponent shoot 50% from the field loses 90% of their games.

You need to sharpen your reading comprehension. Bobinator did the math. But since it was bobinator, you cool now.
scd88
AG
The Clemson coach has been there, what, 16 years? On the other hand, the chodey Bama coach has been there only a short time. Every program has their journey is my point.

Buzz has the program on the right track. I hope he stays around for a while longer to see how far he can go with this. Could we do better? Not sure - it's a crapshoot. Could we do worse? Absolutely.

A new arena isn't going to magically improve the basketball program; that's old thinking. Spend money on players if you want to make deeper runs into the NCAA Tournament.
NumeroUno
AG
Maybe you should check your reading comprehension and possibly look at changing your user name. I can give you a few suggestions if you'd like. Could even think of some creative ones keeping the Jack!
Agdad081216
John Wayne quote inserted here.
Just an old dad who raise 3 Ags. Inherited 2 more. GIG’EM
91AggieLawyer
AG
aggiez03 said:

PJYoung said:

Here is Buzz not confronting an official.

It was a definite travel. One of many non-calls by the officials in the 2nd half.

I realize we received more foul calls than they did, but all that means is that they fouled more.

Billy touched on this in his segment today. They swallowed their whistle for the 1st part of the 2nd half trying to even it out, even though that is not their job.

It felt like the holding calls against Myles Garrett back when he was here, eventually they just stopped calling it cause it would be on 30-50% of plays and they weren't going to interrupt the game that much. Still pisses me off. Rules are rules for a reason. If they hold 10 plays in a row, they should call it every time.

So when they call more fouls on the other team, it is because they foul more, but when they don't call more fouls on the other team, it is because they don't want to call them and they're screwing us?

Hypocrisy much?
Sterling82
91AggieLawyer said:

aggiez03 said:

PJYoung said:

It was a definite travel. One of many non-calls by the officials in the 2nd half.

I realize we received more foul calls than they did, but all that means is that they fouled more.

Billy touched on this in his segment today. They swallowed their whistle for the 1st part of the 2nd half trying to even it out, even though that is not their job.

It felt like the holding calls against Myles Garrett back when he was here, eventually they just stopped calling it cause it would be on 30-50% of plays and they weren't going to interrupt the game that much. Still pisses me off. Rules are rules for a reason. If they hold 10 plays in a row, they should call it every time.

So when they call more fouls on the other team, it is because they foul more, but when they don't call more fouls on the other team, it is because they don't want to call them and they're screwing us?

Hypocrisy much?

I guess Jay Wright is a hypocrite on A&M's behalf. He said even with the high number of fouls called the refs only called about half of those that could have been called. You expect a certain amount of this in the tournament but this game was beyond that.
aggiez03
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

aggiez03 said:

PJYoung said:

Hypocrisy much?

Fouls should be called if they are fouls, no matter how many times they were previously called.

Holds should be called if they are holds, no matter how many times they were previously called.

Hope that helps...
BudFox7
F. Forced to agree with Hop and Bob. They're right and I quit for the day
BudFox7
This brings up a ? though.

Do any teams have a guy in the booth running an intra-game model and relaying info to the bench? Running various parameters, at a min the foul/no foul could be reliably solved.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.