2 Articles Mention Buzz as Candidate at Arky

9,538 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TyHolden
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure Yurachek makes it through the weekend.

They can't be far from pulling a Tennessee/John Currie.
Belton Ag
AG
I know it's run its course… but…

Rick Barnes has also removed his name from contention.

Detmersdislocatedshoulder
JJxvi said:

This thread sucks. What we need is to inject some rocket fuel into its veins! When Buzz takes the Arkansas job who we lookin at !?

IMO there is only one choice....Mark Turgeon.

rocket fuel? that sound more like jack daniels
OKC~Ag
frenchtoast said:

I imagine his book reading would be even more derided in Arkansas.
lol...,

Buzz is a unique dude... I suspect he will be coaching here for while

His pay is on the higher end so whoever comes calling has to match A&M $$$...

$$$ is not everything and many people can say that and not mean it but...At that pay scale, 1$ million more to Buzz may not mean much but offering school may have a tougher act to offer additional millions on top of his his high end pay scale...
85AustinAg
AG
The only heat I've ever seen on Buzz is from some of the posters on this forum. He's not going anywhere. He likes it here, the administration likes him here and most Aggies like him here. Yea he's a bit different from other coaches - but that's what makes him great at what he does. Yea I said great. Love Buzz.
cs69ag
AG
Buzz reportedly is making 4.1 million per year at TAMU
He lives in his home state
He likely has a nucleus of very good players returning
Reed arena is a decent facility.
His program likely receives most all they need in expenses

What is there not to like. Is the grass really greener elsewhere?
greg.w.h
AG
cs69ag said:

Pretty much everywhere. Basketball support that is. BCG considered Arkansas before going to Kentucky, too.

Reed is not configured to bring in the spend the basketball program needs even if full. So referring to it as an acceptable facility is just a path to too little funding,
Method Man
cs69ag said:

Not sure how much Buzz cares but our NIL for b-ball is poverty
Gap
AG
Method Man said:

cs69ag said:

That would 90% be on Buzz if true. Our other coaches are out interacting and getting what they want for NIL.
Proposition Joe
The "we don't have any NIL money for basketball" seems to have taken on a life of it's own without any real supporting evidence.
greg.w.h
AG
Proposition Joe said:

The "we don't have any NIL money for basketball" seems to have taken on a life of it's own without any real supporting evidence.
But the only source of public data is the athlete. And most of them likely have NDAs that only allow disclosure to the school…nature abhors a vacuum…
cutter
Method Man said:

our NIL for b-ball is poverty

Given our fanbases's apathy to basketball I would expect this to be the case, but do we know how we compare? Are there actual $ amounts reported anywhere? I have seen estimates for totals and we are in the top 10. But I have seen not amounts dedicated to basketball.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Two signs on this board that the program is at least back to Turgeon era quality;:

1) threads complaining about not advancing far enough in the NCAA tournament instead of complaining about not making it at all.

2) threads about whether the coach will leave for another job
cs69ag
AG
Re attendance, there have been large crowds for a lot of games the last two years!

Re Reed, teams have won the NC with lesser facilities on their campus than what Reed provides.
halfastros81
AG
We averaged 9650 per game. If we filled Reed for every game we still wouldn't sniff top 30 in the nation. Probably be in the 50-100 range somewhere is my guess.

Well I was wrong on that one. If we filled Reed every game we'd be around # 22 in the nation in attendance.
Method Man
We are in the bottom half of the conference. It's not public info I believe.
Gap
AG
People are just making stuff up with no support. It is all private contracts. You have no real information.

Secondarily, if a coach wants something, they make it known and go out and support getting it done. I have heard at least 4 other head coaches talk about what they want in this area. Buzz apparently doesn't put himself out there as much as some other coaches as far as I know. He will tell you he chooses what he wants to spend his time on and that's certainly his prerogative.
MarcAg
AG
Gap said:

People are just making stuff up with no support. It is all private contracts. You have no real information.

It's always funny to hear people say something like this. Accusing other people of just making stuff up without knowing what a person knows or who they know. I know who Method Man's source is on this. That person definitely knows what's going on.
Gap
AG
If the message doesn't sync up with your agenda, attack the messenger.

No one here has real information on this. Our head coaches don't. And the Athletic Directors don't. Don't pretend otherwise.
AgEfan
Gap said:

Method Man said:

cs69ag said:

That would 90% be on Buzz if true. Our other coaches are out interacting and getting what they want for NIL.

So you think if Buzz just asked we would easily be middle of the SEC as far NIL? It sounds good, but basketball just isn't as big with the majority of the older Ags like football and baseball are. Those are often the people that have the big money. It probably stems from the lack of success we have had overall as program. People like winners and if you look at Aggie basketball over last 50 years you would definitely say it's not a winner.
AgEfan
Gap said:

If the message doesn't sync up with your agenda, attack the messenger.

No one here has real information on this. Our head coaches don't. And the Athletic Directors don't. Don't pretend otherwise.

What do you mean nobody has real information here? You think nobody knows what A&M basketball NIL total was last year? Or are you just saying we don't have hard evidence on how it compares with other programs?
Gap
AG
The second.
Gap
AG
AgEfan said:

Gap said:

Method Man said:

cs69ag said:

So you think if Buzz just asked we would easily be middle of the SEC as far NIL? It sounds good, but basketball just isn't as big with the majority of the older Ags like football and baseball are. Those are often the people that have the big money. It probably stems from the lack of success we have had overall as program. People like winners and if you look at Aggie basketball over last 50 years you would definitely say it's not a winner.

And if Will Wade or Rick Pitino (just picked a couple of random examples) came here, our NIL budget would become top 10 in the nation because he would go out and make sure it happened to get the players he wanted.
AgEfan
Gap said:

AgEfan said:

Gap said:

Method Man said:

cs69ag said:

And if Will Wade or Rick Pitino (just picked a couple of random examples) came here, our NIL budget would become top 10 in the nation because he would go out and make sure it happened to get the players he wanted.

"People are just making stuff up with no support. You have no real information."
Gap
AG
Touche.

However, I can tell you of a couple of sports that had coaching changes here over the last few years where the coaches definitely let it be known they wanted more NIL to target players than the previous coach and it got done.
AgEfan
Gap said:

The second.

I would agree with the elite of the elite athletes that maybe are doing TV spots and such. But we know most of the these athletes getting NIL money is not a "name, imagine and likeness deal" it's pay for play deal by donors and collectives. And let's take Mark from Arkansas. You don't think his agent was making it known what was on the table from Arkansas as they were exploring options. So I imagine A&M has a ballpark of what he got from Arkansas.
Method Man
I have real information. Agreed on Buzz not being like BK who started with Cyp and Keller than Stansbury. Maligi? Guys who knew how to shake down the Ags for dough.
Aston04
AG
Method Man said:

I have real information. Agreed on Buzz not being like BK who started with Cyp and Keller than Stansbury. Maligi? Guys who knew how to shake down the Ags for dough.

No doubt bk knew how to play that game. We brought in arguably the best class in a&m history when the program was an absolute dumpster fire the two years previous..
jimmo
I recall Buzz making some comments about Reed in past... like how far away from the court to the dressing rooms it was, maybe? It was a couple years ago or so... not certain on that. noticed some recent comments about fan support as well. "we expect to be in a hostile.." If you look at Buzz's timeline on X, it's chock full of arkansas fans lol. 1 even says Buzz is unhappy here. It wouldn't shock me if he left. Wish the Aggies could somehow raise the support level a notch or 2
MarcAg
AG
txag72
AG
Quote:

The only heat I've ever seen on Buzz is from some of the posters on this forum
Thank God. See above.
frenchtoast
I have no inside info, but there are certain posters I dont like so I'm choosing to disbelieve them.
PGAG
AG
This may be my favorite post of all time
skaggsjw
AG
Gap said:

Secondarily, if a coach wants something, they make it known and go out and support getting it done. I have heard at least 4 other head coaches talk about what they want in this area. Buzz apparently doesn't put himself out there as much as some other coaches as far as I know. He will tell you he chooses what he wants to spend his time on and that's certainly his prerogative.

As far as you know
EKUAg
AG
Well Calipari is being mentioned now too.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.