John Lopez blog in Chronicle-Very interesting

21,143 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by dixichkn
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Page 1

oops dang page 2

If it doesn't make you strong, it will kill you. - [mangled proverb]

[This message has been edited by Jetpilot86 (edited 4/9/2007 1:32a).]
H6RBW
AG
I will be surprised if that blog entry stays up on the Chronicle's website. Maybe the night janitor got a hold of Lopez's username and password.
asf-07
AG
Page 2
San Diego Aggie
Sorry, can anyone here follow Lopez logic?
Aggienk
The way that article is written is incredibly biased. Even if all the facts are true, the word choice leads you to your own conclusions and lets your mind run wild. I have no idea who Lopez is working for. Byrne's ego is well-documented but there is absolutely no way he would let it get in the way of his best hire and what could've been his lasting legacy at A&M. TKC has a lot of friends in Texas and it sounds like they spoon-fed Lopez horse manure.
H6RBW
AG
And there is no way all the "facts" in that article can be true.
mallen
AG
quote:
You know what this sounds like? Someone is trying to repair Billy's image so he can get back into Houston to do some recruiting.
Pat Foster maybe?
Keegan99
AG
quote:
Sorry, can anyone here follow Lopez logic?

No, because there is none. The actors in his play are schizophrenic.

It's like someone took all the publicly known plot points and said "How can I fit a backstory to these in order to make BCG look good and Byrne look bad?"

[This message has been edited by Keegan99 (edited 4/9/2007 1:41a).]
jtmoney03
AG
I have read that article twice now and it is making my head spin. It feels like a 5 year old just walked up to me and told me about how Jimmy stole his bike, and then Billy helped him get it back, only to be stolen by Mikey down the street, whose older brother just started dating Billy's sister who broke up with Jimmy's brother because she didn't want to go to 2nd base with him. Just one of those stories, where you have to connect your own dots to make it appear logical, which at 1:30am (or anytime when it comes to a Lopez article), is not possible.
BioAg08
AG
You know you are in for a circus by just reading the title. A truly ridiculous read. Sad part is the average clueless reader will probably believe this drivel.

I'm just tired of the drama and ready to move forward with the new coach.
FTAG 2000
AG
quote:
Pat Foster maybe?

That was actually going to be my suggestion. This is a pretty irresponsible piece from Lopez.

Forget the night janitor, it sounds like Lopez let TKC borrow his login and password.

Not_Sure
AG
interesting...but I don't buy it
R E L
AG
Seems like minor fragments of truth from there are possible. But like others have said it seems like a one sided hack piece with a lot of holes in it.
H6RBW
AG
quote:
Byrne, aware of Arkansas' interest, refused to take calls from anyone associated with Arkansas. He was buying time in an effort to put pressure on the A&M Board of Regents to get Gillispie a new contract and begin construction in earnest on a new state of the art basketball facility.

quote:
Also, a source within the A&M department told Gillispie that Byrne had made contact with a member of the Board of Regents, in an attempt to protect his own hide, making Gillispie look like he was pouting and being difficult. In fact, the exact opposite was true.

How do you get from point A to point B, exactly?
fightinTXaggie TXaggie
quote:
He planned to sign the contract even after getting a firm offer from Kentucky while on the west coast attending an awards ceremony involving point guard Acie Law.

As someone pointed out before, He already was at UK when in LA. Not very good for the blog cred.
whoop1012
Lopez is and always has been a great reporter and to my knowledge has always given the facts as he is told. Granted the article/blog entry is a little rough around the edges, but the facts themselves are what they are. This article shows that two men, with great egos, let it get the best of them. Instead of just sitting down over dinner and some beers and talk frankly and honestly with each other, they let third parties get involved, and that is always a receipe for disaster.

I don't think anyone is in the "right" on this one. Just a lot of misunderstanding and miscommunication that could have been avoided had either one of the parties just taken a step back to analyze the situation.
San Diego Aggie
Seems like BCG needs to recruit Texas kids in order to win after all?

Well BCG, enjoy your many long flights back and forth between Kentucky and Texas.

I hope by now you know how good you had it going at A&M.

rex59
Somethings are best left unsaid- washing someone dirty laundry in the street is messy at best-usually not helpful to anyone including the one doing the washing. JOHN,my friend, let this be.
H6RBW
AG
I hereby nominate John Lopez for the Dan Rather/Mary Mapes award for excellence in investigative journalism.
Alices Restaurant
Do not mistake John Lopez for Brent Zwerneman or Rachel Cohen. They are good at what they do.

I don't think you can put Lopez ever in the same category. He's very hit or miss. The Chronicle is not exactly A&M's friend, anyway.

You all pointed out the ridiculous nature of this blog entry already, so I won't bother. Did any of you respond on there, pointing out his mistakes? Frankly, if he fancies himself in Brent or Rachel's category, I'd think he'd want someone to point out the fallacies in that blog.
MexAg05
AG
interesting article...don't know what to believe at this point
InternetFan02
AG
As an avid Aggie fan, I take away one thing from this: Byrne likes to work on his own, and this sometimes ruffles the feathers of some A&M Officials who leak to the press. This is not breaking news - this is how he has always done things.
whoop1012
quote:
The Chronicle is not exactly A&M's friend, anyway.

You realize that John Lopez is an Aggie, right?
qqchuck
AG
His logic does seem pretty delusional being so far from everything we've heard to this point.... but....

Did anyone notice Mr. Lopez is also credited as a "contributor" to the Chronicle article about MT accepting our offer?

Hit or miss, eh? Maybe article #1 was a miss but #2 is a "hit" ? Or maybe both are serious bull cocca.
H6RBW
AG
Lopez may be an Aggie, but there are alot of "facts" in that article that just aren't true.
wealeat09
AG
The whole damn thing didn't make any sense. I highly doubt Byrne is going to scoff at Majerus or Kruger.
Old Style
Was that article ghostwritten by Brent Z?
Alices Restaurant
Lopez being an Aggie hasn't helped in be in our corner much, over the years, but you're young, 1012. You'll learn.
Aggienk
quote:
The whole damn thing didn't make any sense. I highly doubt Byrne is going to scoff at Majerus or Kruger.

That part is what scares me. If Byrne has a certain person in mind (Turgeon), I could easily see him turning down Majerus or Kruger...but I hope he wouldn't be that stupid.
NoNameAg
Two points:

1. This guy is either making stuff up, or his source for information is a friend of Gillispie. How else would he know what Gillispie's thought process was?

2. He isn't even CLOSE on how it went down between Gillispie and Arkansas.

At best, someone gave him biased half-truths. At worst, someone lied to him. Either way, he ran with it.
squirrelhunter
Lopez got had. One of FBG's friends dropped this story to him to smear Byrne. Lopez fell for it, and will regret taking that person's word in the future because of it.
tylang06
quote:
The actors in his play are schizophrenic.

f***in hilarious
74Ag1
AG
Billy (Liucci)...what is the real truth here?

Sounds like alot of mis-communication and emotions got in the way of making a deal to me.
cs69ag
AG
krueger is a vagabond
Majerus is a heart attack waiting to happen, and took a job and then changed his mind last time
MT is the man!
AggieBiker
AG
quote:
Byrne's biggest mistake: He never told Gillispie any of this. Instead, he kept Gillispie in the dark. Gillispie learned about the details of the new contract and the Board's moves to keep him from a member of the media. Understandably, he was upset with Byrne.

TKC to trusted media member: "What? Byrnes is trying to get me a big raise and get some better BB facilities built sooner. That makes me so mad. He should have told me. How can I ever trust a guy that will do good things like that for me?"

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.