John Lopez blog in Chronicle-Very interesting

21,140 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by dixichkn
88AgInRR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The thing here that bothers me most is probably the notion of a lifetime commitment. What program anywhere is going to offer that? Even Coach K doesn't have a lifetime commitment with Duke -- if the unthinkable happens and losing seasons start piling up, he'll find himself honorably retired if he doesn't resign first.

That said, if you're interested in the next closest thing to a lifetime commitment at a major-conference school with deep pockets, do you look at 1) A&M 2) Arkansas 3) Kentucky? Let's see -- which of those two just ran off 20+-win coaches with tournament trips THIS YEAR? Which of them tried hard to keep its 20+-win tournament coach? Which of them let a coach with a well-under-500 record survive 7 seasons?

The idea that TKC just wanted a lifetime commitment and ran off to UK because A&M was so mean to him is ridiculous. I have no beef with the decision to go to UK -- we knew all along that if he wanted a "destination" coaching job, he was gone if UK came calling. I have a major beef with how the departure was handled. It's entirely possible that Byrne's ego did get involved and maybe made things a little harder. But Byrne's lack of commitment is NOT the issue here and there's no reasonable way to spin it so that it is.
BaronVonAggie
AG
If you cant see the flowery words designed to make TKC look sweet in this article you're blind.

Its all propaganda.

Did Byrne maneouver once he found out what Gillispie was doing? Absolutely! No AD would stand still when a coach is out negotiating in the middle of a season while you're paying him.

In fact the UK or UA deal could have been done and BB made sure the press knew we had a big fat deal for him just to show TKC up.

If so he deserved that and more.

BQ MOM
Staff
S
When did John Lopez go from a sports reporter to writing fairy tales.....
JBAggie00
quote:
In fact the UK or UA deal could have been done and BB made sure the press knew we had a big fat deal for him just to show TKC up.

It's obvious that at the time our deal was approved, Byrne and the BOR knew he was leaving. Our offer was intended to show our commitment to the program.
AggieLumberjack
AG
ttt
themissinglink
AG
I just love how FBCG is looking for a "lifetime commitment" yet he is taking Pat Foster about the arky job...
H.E. Pennypacker1
FBG/TKC said he was "out recruiting" beginning at 12:01 pm last Thursday. SOmeone is lying. Either Lopez source or TKC himself.
Mark Fairchild
AG
missinglink, you are right on. It's like any relationship. If you are commited to your marriage, you don't go looking for "lap dancers". He talked plenty to Pat F. Anyway, it is what it is, hopefully, the AGGIES have a new bb coach and we can put some space between us and tkc. This is one weekend that I want to forget.

Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
AMF 2 AMC
AG
quote:
Here's how the puzzle pieces fit: As the Aggie basketball season was winding down, former University of Houston coach Pat Foster, a close friend of Gillispie's worked as an intermediary between the University of Arkansas and Gillispie.

First: the season was not winding down. It was windup up to the highest finish in Aggie basketball history!

Second: Billy had also responded to questions about his future that he didn't worry about that until the season was over.

Third: He claimed that he could not trust BB for going behind his back to get him a three year extension, adding an second extension bonus, and getting him a raise of about $500K per year for eight years! While the article admits TKC was talking to Arkie during the season via Foster, it does NOT mention that he made any contact with BB about it.

Fourth: BB had a 'virus' last Wednesday, two days after TKC was supposed to announce his extension signing. If TKC wanted to sign it, he had one whole week to do so. If BB was doing him dirty, he could have blown up his spot on Wednesday or any other time before last Friday.

Gillispie tried to play hardball with BB. BB came back to TKC (with the BOR behind him), and offered him a raise with an extension. Now TKC is trapped. He has to take less $ to go to Arkansas knowing full well BB is ready to replace him. So he does the only thing he can, wait for an offer from UK, which lets him leave without taking a shot to the ego. TKC's only mistake was leaving so fast that he forgot about his players, his staff, his family, and the various other people he was leaving in the lurch.

All BB did was offer rope; TKC hung himself.

Lopez was just used by someone trying to make BB look like the bad guy for doing exactly what he is supposed to do.

[This message has been edited by AMF 2 AMC (edited 4/9/2007 2:11p).]
JClark97
AG
He will certainly not have a lifetime commitment at Kentucky. There is absolutely no mercy at Kentucky, nada, nathan. I am not buying Lopez sotry.
agswin92
AG
That post is complete sheet.

1. How does he know all this...Byrne's wife?
2. To suggest that KFC had no input or knowledge about the new facilities - tha'ts ignunt.
3. That an AD would protect his employee from being stolen is not a sign that he can't be trusted. Besides, by that same measure, KFC is equally untrustworthy.
4. The post paints $B as the sole villain. That is rarely the case in any story as complicated as this one.
5. Either way, KFC was in control of his own destiny the whole way, and he made his choice.
MexAgs
Makes me upset that he is my first cousin.
citagg83
My biggest problem with the piece is that he writes it like it's the gospel truth when it’s patently obvious that the vast majority of his sources were either allies with tfkc or enemies of BB. I also wonder how much this has to do with him breaking a story and then supporting that story on his radio show that never came to fruition; i.e., that Billy was not only staying but also was going to sign the deal when he got back from Atlanta. Notice he says that his sources have been "tack on" the last two weeks. Uhhh interesting, because I'm pretty sure nothing got signed and it never was a done deal. IMO, in an effort to save some face he's dropped the ball again. That article is like hogville, only worth reading for entertainment. Unfortunately, it was in a reputable newspaper and written by an aggie.
DougsASphincter92
AG
In addition to Rick Majerus and Lon Kruger, other coaches expressing serious interest in the vacant position at A&M were Roy Williams, Bill Self, Mike Krzyzewsky, Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith and, strangely enough, Billy Gillespie...
AMReasons
AG
I have feeling KFC may find out the hard way: "The best day of your life at Kentucky will be the day you're announced as head coach. The rest are going to be hell." Probably the best thing in the whole article. The rest was just unsubstantiated tripe masquerading as a "journalism blog."
tcfitz3
AG
Today I heard some alleged sports talk show whiz on a Houston station trying to berate Byrne for not talking to Majerus or Kruger. Seems to me that Byrne is consistent in hiring a younger coach who has a reason to stay a long time.

Majerus has serious health and commitment missues, and Kruger seems to have feet about as itchy at TKC's. I think Turgeon is a solid man - many personal qualities that mesh with Aggieland PLUS great experience. He ought to inspire recruits.
BigAggie06
AG
That whiz was most likely Lopez, he is on the mid day show on AM 790. I really like listening to him and reading his blog, but that just makes me sick. Totally unsubstantiated that reeks of BCG man crush. I honestly think I may switch to 610 from now on.
oldyella
AG
Could Lopez and TKC have a little brokeback action going on? It would explain TKC's single status, and explain the slanted detailed information. Possibly pillow talk?

[This message has been edited by oldyella (edited 4/9/2007 10:07p).]
Federale01
AG
quote:
In addition to Rick Majerus and Lon Kruger, other coaches expressing serious interest in the vacant position at A&M were Roy Williams, Bill Self, Mike Krzyzewsky, Adolph Rupp, Dean Smith and, strangely enough, Billy Gillespie...

I_heart_aTm_bball
What worries me most is how the article makes the athletic department look to our new recuits. We look like silly school children pointing fingers at the other guy. Lopez should be ashamed of himself, Aggies circle wagons not rat each other out(that's not to say that I give any credence to a word he wrote.)Mr. Lopez, keep your unsubstantiated theories to yourself, please.
Federale01
AG
I just hope the people who commented that "Bill Gates" is the former president of A&M and current Sec Def are not Aggies.

ITS BOB GATES.
sharpdressedman
I read the blog and all the comments above. I believe Lopez is either misinformed of just full of crap. Keegan makes multiple points that are both cogent and compelling.

BCG is the disingenuous villain, not BB.
LDK
I tried to post a comment on Lopez's blog -- reminding him tht his great sources also had him convinced that KFC was staying in Aggieland -- something he reported on his blog, on the radio and in an email he sent me. He's about as chicken as KFC -- he refused to post it.
Jeff99
TKC contradicted most of the talking points in Lopez's blog during his interview on ESPN this morning.
96ags
AG
Jeff is right. Specifically with the timeline of how all of the events unfolded.
Redstone
AG
Okay, what does TKC stand for? I know it refers to Gillespie, but help a brother out.
Redstone
AG
?
diehard03
The Kentucky Coach

However it happened...TKC has his dream job and we have a new coach. We will still compete next season and so will KU. In the end, we both have what we want.
HumanitariAg
AG
Welcome in the Tim Floyd Era!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOP!!!

The only question is, what should we call him? I vote for "Floyd the Android"!

Quick somebody photoshop that terminator pic with Floyd holding KFC's head! (not conventional, but I like to refer to him as the "Kentucky Fried Coach"

Do you think OJ Mayo will come to A&M? I hope so...
tweedy07
twat, i don't know how much of that i believe
dixichkn
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, it was in a reputable newspaper

SURELY you're not referring to the Comical?......

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.