John Lopez blog in Chronicle-Very interesting

21,163 Views | 169 Replies | Last: 17 yr ago by dixichkn
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bullsh#t article.

CLyde played us, lied to us and left. Eff him.

We showed that egomaniac all the love and he sh@t on us.

Good riddance.
jock1998
AG
Bullcrap, John Lopez.

Billy was courting U of A during the Aggies' season (and then U of K, afterwards)--not out of alienation from Bill Byrne but because he's a brilliant coach climbing the professional ladder.

Billy G, "Alienated and Despondent"!?! At the UK press conference, Billy G looked like he'd won the coaching lotto; in many ways, he did. Billy G. was long gone from A&M the second he started whispering sweet nothings in the Razorbacks' ears. It just so happened to be that Tubby Smith left for Minnesota and Kentucky became available. Billy G. dropped Arkansas in the grease the same way he did A&M.

Folks can have hard feelings, or not; but what Lopez posted sounds like the whisper campaign of Billy Gillispie apologists who want to rebuild his reputation for Houston recruiting visits.
Killer-K 89
AG
I hope the blog is true (though I doubt it is, but for the sake of argument)

It solidifies my trust in Byrne.

First, if BG wanted to be at A&M he should have signed the contract. He could have named anything he wanted. He would have gotten it.

Majerus is a great coach. But health concerns, ARE concerns.

Kruger is a nomad. Byrne knows coaches.

Turgeon was evidently the best guy.

Big Cat `93
AG
What Killer-K said.
Javelina
AG
I'm curious to see if he will release any of the comments that might point out the . . . inconsistencies in his writing.

[This message has been edited by DocJones (edited 4/9/2007 9:06a).]
Janet Carter
What Kill-K said +1.

Let's rally behind Turgeon and make him feel very welcome and wanted here.
GoneGirl
AG
I wondered about that too - but if he's getting ripped - he'll probably wont. Anyway to call him on it?
Lipstick
Obviously some holes in there that I'd like to see filled, but Lopez has more connections with Aggie sports than anyone. Remember, he had the Billy - turn down Arkanas thing before anybody else. Brent just kept rewriting stuff that lopez had. Byrne looks bad here.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
Gillispie began having doubts about just how much he could trust Byrne. He planned to sign the contract even after getting a firm offer from Kentucky while on the west coast attending an awards ceremony involving point guard Acie Law.

Which award ceremony is this?

New Army lives at Reed Arena
XL2Win
Exactly ... Lopez's story is full of HUGE holes. Maybe some truth, but not totally true.
Mack Brown on a Mobile
AG
Alices Restaurant,

BZ has reported basically the same thing as Lopez. He said the deal was not over when you and all the other Aggies thought Gillispie was locked up.

Lopez is not always right, but saying that Rachel Cohen is better.

COme on,
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
He planned to sign the contract even after getting a firm offer from Kentucky while on the west coast attending an awards ceremony involving point guard Acie Law.

I read and reread this trying to make sense of it. Could he have meant

He planned to sign the contract,while on the west coast attending an awards ceremony involving point guard Acie Law, even after getting a firm offer from Kentucky.

But even that doesn't make sense....
old ag 2003
AG
Comments are up on his blog now.
AgsWinAgsWin
That's it. If I ever find out my boss is trying to get me a raise behind my back...I QUIT!!!!
dr81
BCG-SUCKS!!!
AgGrad99
AG
quote:
That's it. If I ever find out my boss is trying to get me a raise behind my back...I QUIT!!!!

Exactly.

This article doesnt make sense.

So Byrne, acting as a good AD, knew about interest from another school, and tried to get BCG more money so he'd stay. In case BCG left, he was keeping an eye on interest from other coaches.

How is that bad?

If that's true, well done Byrne.
Big Cat `93
AG
quote:
If I ever find out my boss is trying to get me a raise behind my back...I QUIT!!!!
Marauder Blue 6
AG
John Lopez is a no-talent journalist hack who uses message board rumors as the framework for his latest piece of anti-Byrne propaganda.
cez95
AG
We are all now more stupid having read that cr@p. Actions sometimes speak louder than words:

Action: TKC began flirting with Broyles about the ARK job via an intermediary AS EARLY AS FEBRUARY.

Action: Broyles decides to fire a 20-win coach (allegedly as early as mid season) and compiles a list of ONE for replacement HC, so sure that his ONE candidate is a lock for the new post. This, presumably, based on discussions through intermediary.

Action: Day following end of Aggies’ season, media reports surface almost immediately that ARK is interested in and pursuing TKC.

Action: BB evidently pushes new facilities approval, ground-breaking and huge raise for TKC with BOR in days leading up to and days following Aggies’ 06-07 season.

Action: BB evidently stalls ARK courtship of BCG by not returning phone calls (or may be too busy to return phone calls while trying to nail down facilities approval, ground-breaking and huge raise for TKC).

Action: In apparent 2 hour span, ARK receives permission to speak with TKC about HC job, but is then denied because presumably TKC is happy with new contract raise and extension that BB is able to get approved by BOR.

Action: BB and BOR representatives state publicly that while verbal agreement in place to keep TKC, there is still a possibility he may leave… for Kentucky, presumably (Question: why hedge, could it possibly be because everyone knows TKC is shopping himself and holding out for..?)

Action: TKC accepts Kentucky HC job.

Action: BB allegedly keeps new HC search under wraps, refusing to allow advisors know his intentions, or listen to advice as to whom should replace TKC (editorial: no freakin’ wonder!!! Somehow, my former HC has been getting the word out to every media/coaching outlet – through formerly mentioned intermediary or A&M mole – that I’m an egomaniac that is hell bent on using my former HC’s success to build a bball powerhouse, and will take any and all actions necessary to make sure we have the right man for the job to lead such a charge!).

Action: Houston Chron blog details Gillispie’s actions AND THOUGHTS throughout above soap opera, ripping BB for going behind TKC’s back to get him an extenstion and raise, not letting ARK talk to TKC and implementing a back up plan should TKC leave A&M for UK; states that TKC just wanted a lifetime commitment all along (even back in February, ha); and oh, maybe BB should have talked to Majerus and Kruger.
JJxvi
AG
If he means the Wooden ceremony (the only one in LA over the past week) then BCG had already jumped around on stage in a blue pullover jigh fiving the wildcat fans and mascot on Friday before that ceremony even happened...

H6RBW
AG
JJxvi,

And, if he means any prior ceremony, UK was still holding its breath waiting on Donovan.

I read this last night when it was first posted. I thought it was ridiculous to the point of being funny. After sleeping on it though, it makes me angry that Lopez would print this obvious trash in an effort to discredit Byrne.

I'm with the posters who think that this is a story planted by Mr. Handshake's friends (or Mr. Handshake himself).

[This message has been edited by H6RBW (edited 4/9/2007 9:33a).]
Aggie92
AG
These facts aren't even in dispute by the article:

1. BCG got a nice new contract on the table for him to sign if A&M had been his choice.
2. the hiring of successful coaches is the responsibility of Bill Byrne and no one else
3. BCG had discussions with Arkansas and Kentucky when he knew A&M wanted to keep him (he was already under contract through 2012).

So who did their job correctly? Byrne or Gillispie?

The rest is just spin.

Gig'Em '92
Trucker 96
This article is pure trash.
kjaneway
AG
quote:

It solidifies my trust in Byrne.

First, if BG wanted to be at A&M he should have signed the contract. He could have named anything he wanted. He would have gotten it.

Majerus is a great coach. But health concerns, ARE concerns.

Kruger is a nomad. Byrne knows coaches.

Turgeon was evidently the best guy.

Exactly.
JJxvi
AG
Translation of this article: Someone in the 12th Man Foundation has just discovered that he actually cares about basketball now (unlike any previous hire) and wanted to have as big a part in the process as he would during a football hire like they did with Franchione.

anonymous2
Whole thing sounds like an episode from "desperate housewives" - yawn - we have a new coach --- lets move on !
TyHolden
AG
I agree - move on.
HotardAg07
AG
quote:
The past two weeks of the A&M basketball saga has proved one thing more than anything else. Aggies athletic director Bill Byrne is either hard-headed, self-serving, brilliant, or a little bit of all three.

Several representatives who have been tack-on with all the information they have offered me over the past two weeks broke down the A&M basketball coaching saga as follows.

Translation: I talked to Pat Foster and disgrunted A&M employees

quote:
Here's how the puzzle pieces fit: As the Aggie basketball season was winding down, former University of Houston coach Pat Foster, a close friend of Gillispie's worked as an intermediary between the University of Arkansas and Gillispie.

The Hogs were working behind the scenes as far back as early-February, with an eye on Gillispie as Stan Heath's replacement. Heath knew of his ouster long before it came and tried to force Razorbacks AD Frank Broyles' hand, by asking for assurances that he would stay. He didn't get them.

Meanwhile, Gillispie tried to stay out of the fray as he tried to win a Big 12 title and take this team to the Final Four. He spoke with Foster only occasionally, telling his friend he was happy at A&M, but come the end of the season they would talk seriously about it again.

Gillispie's thoughts were, he didn't want to be put into a position where he would have to lie either in public or to his players.

Broyles continued to talk with Foster and felt confident they would get Gillispie, to the point that he didn't even compile a second list of potential candidates.

Gillispie spoke with Foster after the Aggies were eliminated in the Sweet 16. What he didn't realize was Byrne, aware of Arkansas' interest, refused to take calls from anyone associated with Arkansas. He was buying time in an effort to put pressure on the A&M Board of Regents to get Gillispie a new contract and begin construction in earnest on a new state of the art basketball facility.

Translation: Coach Gillispie let Arkansas know through Pat Foster that he was serious enough about the head coaching job that they fired their old coach without even coming up with a backup.

quote:
Byrne's biggest mistake: He never told Gillispie any of this. Instead, he kept Gillispie in the dark. Gillispie learned about the details of the new contract and the Board's moves to keep him from a member of the media. Understandably, he was upset with Byrne.

Translation: Somehow, Billy Gillispie is upset that that scoundrel Byrne is trying to get him a contract raise behind his back... ok.

quote:
When the contract was ironed out and Byrne flew to the Final Four to get Gillispie to sign the deal, Gillispie told him he planned on being the Aggies coach. At the same time, Foster was getting calls from Kentucky about that job.

Gillispie began having doubts about just how much he could trust Byrne. He planned to sign the contract even after getting a firm offer from Kentucky while on the west coast attending an awards ceremony involving point guard Acie Law.

Translation: Just in case Gillispie didn't get his coveted Kentucky job, he told Byrne that he would be the Aggies coach, while conveniently not signing the contract or going public about it... essentially humiliating Byrne. Once again, who knew Foster was the one getting calls from Kentucky? Who WOULD know that? Gillispie was already the head coach from Kentucky at the awards show, so John Lopez is just wrong here. The minute he got the offer he was on the plane to Kentucky.

quote:
While contemplating the offer, Gillispie called several close friends in basketball to ask about the Kentucky job. He hedged when one trusted friend in professional basketball told him, "The best day of your life at Kentucky will be the day you're announced as head coach. The rest are going to be hell."

Gillispie went back and forth until deciding it would be stupid to tell the Wildcats no and Byrne already had made contact with a representative for Turgeon, tossing out contract numbers close to those offered to Gillispie. Also, a source within the A&M department told Gillispie that Byrne had made contact with a member of the Board of Regents, in an attempt to protect his own hide, making Gillispie look like he was pouting and being difficult. In fact, the exact opposite was true.

Tranlation: Going back and fowards? Please. And how mad can you be at Byrne for making contact with Turgeon, when he knew that Gillispie was already shopping himself and holding out for the Kentucky job to fall in his lap. Gillispie was told that the Kentucky job was hell, and wanted it anyways, despite wanting a "long time committment" from A&M.

quote:
All along, Gillispie was looking for a lifetime commitment, letting the thing play out.

No. He got it and turned it down.

quote:
Once Gillispie took the job, Byrne alienated several trusted sources in basketball -- the same ones who raved about Gillispie three years ago -- by keeping them out of the loop on this coaching search. Byrne decided all of a sudden he knew more about basketball than the same people who handed him Gillispie on a silver platter.

Most interesting: Longtime coach Rick Majerus contacted a pair of basketball people close to the A&M program, expressing great interest in the job. But when these sources tried to contact Byrne to endorse Majerus, Byrne refused to return their calls. UNLV coach Lon Kruger, through another A&M basketball source, also tried to contact Byrne. The A&M AD didn't want to hear any of that, either.

Make no mistake. The Aggies could have had Majerus or Kruger. No doubt about it.

Instead, Byrne made every call on the future of A&M basketball on his own, start-to-finish. He allowed Gillispie to leave on bad terms and refused to consult with some of the finest basketball minds in the game.

Mark Turgeon may be perfect for the Aggies. Maybe not. Either way, it's on Byrne.

TranslationByrne had been aware of Gillispie's actions and had started the coaching search early (this is already well documented). He already had his guy -- he knew who he wanted.

If you strip away all the spin, that's what that article says -- the same exact thing.
H6RBW
AG
quote:
I am pained that an Aggie would fall for this crap, let alone write it for a 'reputable' paper for the world to see. Weak weak weak.

Posted by: A&M Needs a Journalism School at April 9, 2007 09:24 AM

The "posted by" portion is greatness. But, did Lopez graduate from the Journalism School when we had one?
Ag at Dell
AG
LOUD NOISES!!!

CoolAggie
AG
quote:
Translation of this article: Someone in the 12th Man Foundation has just discovered that he actually cares about basketball now (unlike any previous hire) and wanted to have as big a part in the process as he would during a football hire like they did with Franchione.

EXACTLY!! I'm glad Byrne doesn't listen to the good ol boy club or we would be stuck with the basketball version of Franchione.
69huslinone
AG
If BB would stand behind Fran when many were calling for his head, then the most successful coach at A&M does not trust BB to keep him as he is racking up wins? TKC=The Kentucky Colonel or The Kentucky Chicken. KFC: Kentucky Fried Chicken a/k/a KU.
Street Fighter
AG
There's some hate for Byrne in the comments section. One guy still thinks he hired Franchione!
Bunk Moreland
that article is bogus. I would go into my own opinions, but many Ags on here have already expressed them
txagfred04
the mention of the wanting a lifetime commitment nullifies this entire blog and should be scrapped. i call troll on this blog.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.