Hydroxychloroquine...........

293,895 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Jabin
HouAggie2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or maybe because it didn't work when they had high hopes for MERs so he is less optimistic about it working here?

And please try and understand that you can use something/try to make it work while at the same time going through the scientific process to show that it actually is helpful
cone
AG
https://www.dicardiology.com/article/covid-19-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-brings-prolonged-qt-arrhythmia-issues
Ragoo
AG
cone said:

https://www.dicardiology.com/article/covid-19-hydroxychloroquine-treatment-brings-prolonged-qt-arrhythmia-issues
where did it say anywhere in that article the affects can be seen even in as few as 5-10 days?

The article read like a boogeyman for treatment against chronic conditions.
fig96
AG
DadHammer said:

It helps early better, but it is still helpful with sicker patients. Have read lots of reports on this.
I'd be curious to read some as pretty much this entire thread is stories about anecdotally seeing success when it's used early and not having much effect later on.
cone
AG
I don't know what to tell you

I think HCQ shows anecdotal promise but it's not a silver bullet and probably not for everyone

ideally, your PCP would get test results early and make the decision based on your understood risk profile

I certainly would want it early, but I don't have any diagnosed heart issues
fig96
AG
He wasn't touting it. He said it was encouraging because it's widely available.

The fact that people want to demonize a guy for saying "we don't know yet" is...odd.
WestTexasAg
AG
https://www.kcbd.com/2020/04/03/it-was-worst-weeks-my-life-woman-recovers-coronavirus/
HouAggie2007
There are a lot of people with college degrees who lack the ability to critically think and only look to others for their talking points
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I don't claim to be the expert but **** I have read a TON on this and treated too many so far. My anecdote. It has a positive viral clearance effect if given within 48 hrs. Like tamiflu.
HouAggie2007
And for the record I 100% hope this it true. Hopefully we will have test results soon that confirm this and provide the best treatment regimen that helps the most people and effectively utilizes our supplies
SunrayAg
AG
WestTexasAg said:

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/04/03/it-was-worst-weeks-my-life-woman-recovers-coronavirus/

She was my sons 4th grade teacher.
Reveille
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

I don't claim to be the expert but **** I have read a TON on this and treated too many so far. My anecdote. It has a positive viral clearance effect if given within 48 hrs. Like tamiflu.

I agree I think early intervention is there key. Stop the virus from replicating before too many copies have already been made.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HouAggie2007
Again, did you read what he said and understand how what was said then was not an endorsement of the drug nor carries any weight now?
HouAggie2007
And I'm not a doctor but reading up on MERS I don't see that combination listed as a treatment anywhere so it would make sense that he is now "sour" on the potential of this drug
DTP02
AG
HouAggie2007 said:

It seems like he is the same on it as he was then, for SARs? It looks like they at least showed some promise in lab tests. I haven't seen any links showing tests for covid yet.

Perhaps stop getting into from right wing Twitters

There are links on this thread showing lab tests demonstrating effectiveness in primate cells.
goodAg80
AG
Someone asked about side effects. This is what I found.

Quote:

Taking hydroxychloroquine long-term or at high doses may cause irreversible damage to the retina of your eye. Stop taking this medicine and call your doctor at once if you have trouble focusing, if you see light streaks or flashes in your vision, or if you notice any swelling or color changes in your eyes.

Before using hydroxychloroquine, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have psoriasis, porphyria, liver disease, alcoholism, or glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency.

Watch for
  • headache with chest pain and severe dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeats;
  • very slow heart rate, weak pulse;
  • muscle weakness, numbness or tingling;
  • low blood sugar - headache, hunger, sweating, irritability, dizziness, nausea, fast heart rate, and feeling anxious or shaky; or
  • low blood cell counts - fever, chills, sore throat, weakness or ill feeling, swollen gums, mouth sores, skin sores, rapid heart rate, pale skin, easy bruising, unusual bleeding, feeling light-headed.

Side effects
  • headache, dizziness, ringing in your ears;
  • nausea, vomiting, stomach pain;
  • loss of appetite, weight loss;
  • mood changes, feeling nervous or irritable;
  • skin rash or itching; or
  • hair loss.

Complications
Hydroxychloroquine can cause serious liver or heart problems, especially if you use certain medicines at the same time, including:
  • other medicines to treat malaria;
  • an antibiotic or antifungal medicine;
  • antiviral medicine to treat hepatitis or HIV/AIDS;
  • antidepressants or antipsychotic medicines;
  • birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy;
  • cancer medication;
  • cholesterol-lowering medication;
  • heart or blood pressure medicine;
  • pain or arthritis medicines (including aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, and Aleve);
  • seizure medication;
  • stomach acid reducers; or
  • tuberculosis medicine.

Palovic
Dr. Fauci is no doubt a very intelligent individual with extensive knowledge on infectious diseases. I definately do not discount any information he has to share, but if I am sick tomorrow and I have a choice of who to listen to for my treatment, give me the doctor who is in the front lines right now dealing with this on a daily basis and has results with patients with THIS virus.

I feel Dr. Fauci is more a general policy/governing physician so he must be much more structured in his approach to providing information. I am sure he knows that we are seeing some positive results with the cocktail HZA and I have heard him many times state he is hopeful it does prove to be solid treatment.

What matters most in my opinion is the front line doctors utilizing it because they have seen it work and trust its efficacy to save their patients.

fig96
AG
annie88 said:

HouAggie2007 said:

It seems like he is the same on it as he was then, for SARs? It looks like they at least showed some promise in lab tests. I haven't seen any links showing tests for covid yet.

Perhaps stop getting into from right wing Twitters
He said the words, would you believe it more from left-wingers?
"That's particularly encouraging, because these drugs, now used to treat Hepatitis C, are widely available. "

That's taken directly off the tweet you posted. What do you think he said?
PlanoAg79
AG
A few days ago, my primary care doctor told me he wouldn't be prescribing hydroxychloroquine for his patients because the Texas Medical Board threatened that they would censure doctors that prescribed it. He did indicate that doctors in ER's, ICU's, etc can prescribe it. Doctors on this forum: Did I misunderstand him? Have you heard the same thing from the Texas Medical Board?
Pelayo
AG
PlanoAg79 said:

A few days ago, my primary care doctor told me he wouldn't be prescribing hydroxychloroquine for his patients because the Texas Medical Board threatened that they would censure doctors that prescribed it. He did indicate that doctors in ER's, ICU's, etc can prescribe it. Doctors on this forum: Did I misunderstand him? Have you heard the same thing from the Texas Medical Board?
I hear pharmacist are registering complaints on physicians with the TMB who are ordering for selves/families. Haven't received any comunication from the TMB about Plaquenil specifically. Maybe it was in a bulletin and I missed it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Trump reported 29,000,000 tabs of HCQ in pharmacies now. Good news.
DTP02
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Trump reported 29,000,000 tabs of HCQ in pharmacies now. Good news.

A 5 day regimen would be like 20 tabs, right?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
400mg po BID first day then 200mg po BID x 5-7 days
Trillary Clinton
Reveille said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

I agree I think early intervention is there key. Stop the virus from replicating before too many copies have already been made.
what is your opinion on tamiflu? best benefit is it reduces symptoms by aprox 12 hours. multiple side effects. cdc only recommend for those high risk
74Ag1
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

If they're all 200mg tabs, each person needs
Day 1: 4 x 200mg tablets (4 total)
Days 2-7: 2 X 6 200 mg tablets (12 total)
Total = 16 tablets/ person

So 29,000,000 tablets could be dispensed to about 1.8 million people (29,000,000/16)

And more are being made each day
BowSowy
AG
Please stay over in forum 16. I generally agree with your overall viewpoints, but you are so combative and you turn threads into pissing matches. That's not what this forum is for.
DadHammer
AG
Use the ignore function. It's great.
Barnyard96
AG
Been following this thread since Marcus posted it. Really glad to hear from the doctors that it is working.
adairtexas
Well I can tell you I would want it and I had 4 stents placed in me 1 year ago. Better a few side effects maybe versus dying. Pretty easy choice.
FullDraw
AG
Family physician in Beaumont here. I am basically out of the hospital as far as full time and in the office. Currently doing almost only telehealth visits now. What is the timeframe on getting the Abbott test in hospitals and available to outpatient doctors?
lefty2000
AG
Doc,

First, thanks for all that you are doing and those along side of you - as well as your family members who worry about you each day that you go to work. Quick question: 48 hours from when? Onset of fever? Being so far gone to need hospitalization? Thanks again for everything!!
74Ag1
AG
Marcus your quickly becoming my favorite Dr.

Thanks for starting this thread and bringing this to our attention.

"Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back."
- Marcus Aurelius
Tabasco
AG
PlanoAg79 said:

Wanna know how fast I would get a new primary care doctor?
Dad
AG
74Ag1 said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

If they're all 200mg tabs, each person needs
Day 1: 4 x 200mg tablets (4 total)
Days 2-7: 2 X 6 200 mg tablets (12 total)
Total = 16 tablets/ person

So 29,000,000 tablets could be dispensed to about 1.8 million people (29,000,000/16)

And more are being made each day

That should be plenty for now if it is only given to people with a strong suspicion or confirmed diagnosis of covid.
DadHammer
AG
fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

It helps early better, but it is still helpful with sicker patients. Have read lots of reports on this.
I'd be curious to read some as pretty much this entire thread is stories about anecdotally seeing success when it's used early and not having much effect later on.
Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.
"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."
Cardillo is the CEO of Mend Urgent Care, which has locations in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and Burbank.
He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.