Hydroxychloroquine...........

293,886 Views | 1854 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Jabin
buffalo chip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
DadHammer said:

More good news.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/texas-city-nursing-home-doctor-unproven-drug-trump-15192584.php

If you can ignore the liberal agenda (???WHY???) of the reporter, wonderful news. One death and three hospitalizations among 56 nursing home positives? Incredible results.

No good deed can go unpunished. We need to string up the doctor who is saving all of those elderly lives!
DadHammer
AG
Fitch
AG
Not the forum for this...
74Ag1
AG
When does an unproven drug that works become proven?
fig96
AG
DadHammer said:

I know, the liberals have become evil. Cheering for death.
Psst...WRONG FORUM.

Also, that article is incredibly fairly written, it simply mentions the drug isn't proven and that they need to discuss that with patients. If that's a "liberal agenda" and "cheering for death" then geez.
2PacShakur
AG
DadHammer said:

Not only is this wrong it's completely baseless, reductionist and frankly moronic. I think most are saying to gather data to see: A) if it works, and B) which population and/or disease stage it fits if it does work.
fig96
AG
74Ag1 said:

When does an unproven drug that works become proven?
When it has a controlled study.
fig96
AG
buffalo chip said:

fig96 said:

DadHammer said:

Psst...WRONG FORUM.

Also, that article is incredibly fairly written, it simply mentions the drug isn't proven and that they need to discuss that with patients. If that's a "liberal agenda" and "cheering for death" then geez.
Psst... I could debate your point, but the WRONG FORUM police are out in droves... WATCH OUT!
a) Don't really care for many reasons. I probably shouldn't have said anything anyway but some people on here are maddening.

b) That's because a lot of us don't want this turning into the Politics board. I'll be just fine if my post is deleted along with the others.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
FYI. A study of 63 pts at Henry Ford hospital has been submitted to NEJM. Publication pending. Not a RPCT. 63 pts. 32 received HCQ. 31 did not. These pts were on avg admitted for dyspnea around day 7. Findings. No improvement in survival, N/L ratio. HCQ pts also had statistically significant increased need for respiratory support. Take it FWIW. Anecdotally I have seen similar results once these pts are very sick. Didnt expect negative effects on respiratory outcomes however. Jury still out.
Exsurge Domine
Marcus Aurelius said:

FYI. A study of 63 pts at Henry Ford hospital has been submitted to NEJM. Publication pending. Not a RPCT. 63 pts. 32 received HCQ. 31 did not. These pts were on avg admitted for dyspnea around day 7. Findings. No improvement in survival, N/L ratio. HCQ pts also had statistically significant increased need for respiratory support. Take it FWIW.

Ooof, on to Remdesivir and toci I guess

Are you thinking HCQ/Zithromax is beneficial when given early? Or not at all?
JD Shellnut
AG
Was Azithromycin given in addition to the HCQ in the study?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
No
Zobel
AG
That's the summary page that's under review right? Not published yet?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Yessir
Zobel
AG
Another preprint

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.07.20056424v1.full.pdf

High dose vs low dose chloroquine with all pts receiving azithromycin also.

No positive observed mortality effect yet.

Had to stop high dose recruitment due to cardiovascular events and trend toward higher lethality than low dose.
Bird Poo
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

FYI. A study of 63 pts at Henry Ford hospital has been submitted to NEJM. Publication pending. Not a RPCT. 63 pts. 32 received HCQ. 31 did not. These pts were on avg admitted for dyspnea around day 7. Findings. No improvement in survival, N/L ratio. HCQ pts also had statistically significant increased need for respiratory support. Take it FWIW. Anecdotally I have seen similar results once these pts are very sick. Didnt expect negative effects on respiratory outcomes however. Jury still out.
JD Shellnut
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

No

They reason I ask, is because a while back I read a study based on HCQ vs HCQ with AZM. Long store short the two drugs together worked better.....in that one study at least.
Exsurge Domine
k2aggie07 said:

Another preprint

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.07.20056424v1.full.pdf

High dose vs low dose HCL with all pts receiving azithromycin also.

No positive observed mortality effect yet.

Had to stop high dose recruitment due to cardiovascular events and trend toward higher lethality than low dose.

Isn't that Chloroquine and not HCQ?
Zobel
AG
Yes correct, sorry
PikesPeakAg
AG
I don't know the value of doing a dose ranging study of the more toxic chloroquine. Odd.
Also, for all the need for RCT's , why would NEJM publish small study that is not? It seems there are a lot of ongoing trials that would provide answers. Henry Ford is performing the HCQ prevention trial for medical providers if I am not mistaken.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
Apparently in Brazil it's the mandated standard of care.
Reveille
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

I think with it's proposed primary mechanism of action being inhibiting viral replication. I am expecting no benefit if started after patients are severe enough to require hospitalization since by that time they likely have way too much virus in their system. I think it will have to be used similar to Tamiflu early in the process and hopefully decrease hospitalizations and ICU admissions. While Tamiflu doesn't inhibit viral replication it inhibits budding of the virus so a similar concept. I believe if we in primary care use it on patients with a high index of suspicion and who have risk factors will likely see benefits but very doubtful if implemented late as too much virus is already been made.

I am not seeing them in the hospital so I will defer to your expertise but I believe once they are sick enough to be admitted we are going to need IL-6 inhibitors, plasma transfusions, steroids etc to stop the cytokine storm. I just don't see how slowing viral replication is anywhere near enough to help since it is now your own immune system causing the damage.

I am also surprised to see negative effects also.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiegolfer03
AG
So what is being done for patients who show enough symptoms to present a flu like illness, enough that they'd normally end up at their family doctor?

Because as you said, I would think THAT would be the time for seeing improved outcomes from HCL treatment.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
aggiegolfer03 said:

So what is being done for patients who show enough symptoms to present a flu like illness, enough that they'd normally end up at their family doctor?

Because as you said, I would think THAT would be the time for seeing improved outcomes from HCL treatment.
Right now, other than 'maybe' giving them a test that they have to wait about a week for results for, it appears that for the most part it's "Go home, and good luck"

That's going to need to improve, IMO, before we just open everything up.
DadHammer
AG
Maybe we just slowly open up not go all out?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Whatever we do, we'd better make sure it's the smart thing. If we do something and we find ourselves with a spike in cases/deaths, we're going to be right back here with even more shaken confidence from the public. And then you really will have a hard time convincing people it's time to open up again.

I'd just say, I get you want things to open up, but you really should want to make sure it's a solid plan. Because if not, it's going to be even worse than things are now.

DadHammer
AG
I agree with a smart plan, starting with people with anti bodies and outdoor workers. All kinds of good ideas can be explored to start to open up some. Plus if people still want to stay home they can. Should be volunteer basis.
benchmark
AG
You can add my uncle to the list of those who received the drug combo but didn't survive. Probably given too late to be of help. Hospital day 25, Vent day 22.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So sorry to hear Bench. Prayers to you and your family.
DadHammer
AG
Another positive report. Man I hope this really works to save people and get us on a path back to work quickly.

https://www.wtvm.com/2020/04/06/patients-recovering-covid-phoebe-putney-memorial-hospital-albany/
DadHammer
AG
Sorry to hear that bench. I will say a pray for you and your family.
Zobel
AG
Not very scientific but maybe it would be interesting to use this data vs general population as a kind of HCL prophylaxis study

https://rheum-covid.org/updates/combined-data.html
Reveille
AG
benchmark said:

You can add my uncle to the list of those who received the drug combo but didn't survive. Probably given too late to be of help. Hospital day 25, Vent day 22.
Oh that is horrible news! I will pray for him, you and your family!
Exsurge Domine
Reveille said:

benchmark said:

Oh that is horrible news! I will pray for him, you and your family!

Doc's Catholic
74Ag1
AG
DadHammer said:

Another positive report. Man I hope this really works to save people and get us on a path back to work quickly.

https://www.wtvm.com/2020/04/06/patients-recovering-covid-phoebe-putney-memorial-hospital-albany/

Guess the unproven drug combo is proving to save lives:

"According to doctors at Phoebe Putney Health System, medical professionals attribute two drugs to help aid in the recovery process azithromycin and hydroxychloroquine."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.