Vaccine Reluctance

84,127 Views | 741 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
waitwhat?
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also I did respond to this post but you ignored my response.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
lexofer
AG
Just because you are in a low risk category it doesn't mean no risk. Your odds are just better, but there is still a chance you will be hospitalized, permanently disabled or die. I know two women in their 30's, otherwise healthy people that as a result of COVID one now has a lifelong heart condition that requires daily medication and another that has developed permanent respiratory issues. Also as I said before you're still putting others that have been vaccinated by being more likely to be a carrier and increasing chances of mutation of the disease.
waitwhat?
I know me not being "at risk" doesn't mean there's no risk. It's called risk tolerance. We're all going to die and our activities are a reflection of the amount of risk we're willing to take.

I'm choosing to take the risk of dying from COVID over getting the jab simply because I hate getting shots. That's my choice and it has zero effect on others.

Your other points are false points. Everyone that wants a COVID vaccine can get one. I'm no risk to anyone there. Enough people have been vaccinated that there is no risk of the medical system being overloaded. It's possible that the virus could mutate into something more deadly, but that's possible for the seasonal flu, yet we don't even consider mandating vaccination for that despite it being significantly more deadly to children's

I understand that the vaccine is safe and that it would reduce my risk of dying from Covid. I understand and believe that.

With that being said there is no reason for me to be compelled to get it. None. Zip. Zero.

If you have a compelling reason, please say it. "We can't open until x% of the population is vaccinated" is political, not medical.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

TEXIT
Phat32
AG
Those in favor of the vaccine need to understand one thing; just leave the unvaccinated alone and all of this arguing goes away.

It just seems that is too hard for many.

Mandatory vaccination to get on a plane or go to a concert for a virus with a 99.98% survival rate is insane, no matter how safe the vaccine is. Just vaccinate those who want it and let's all move on.
kag00
AG
yukmonkey said:

Those in favor of the vaccine need to understand one thing; just leave the unvaccinated alone and all of this arguing goes away.

Mandatory vaccination to get on a plane or go to a concert for a virus with a 99.98% survival rate is insane, no matter how safe the vaccine is. Just vaccinate those who want it and let's all move on.

Freedom is an amazing concept that so many have forgotten about. The vaccine is readily available and if you don't want to get it then you know what risk you are taking on. Same goes for driving, eating, smoking, walking around the block, or whatever else you do. Everything carries some level of risk and we need to allow people to have their own tolerance.

No skydiving, fast cars, cheeseburgers if we just want to force people to be safe. No stairs or bathtubs either!!
Fitch
AG
"Just leave me alone" doesn't work when you want to be a part of society.

Works if you want to live in the Alaskan wilderness and follow through, though.

Complaining about the state of the world and refusing to be a part of the solution when it's within your control to do is just the most classic kind of hypocrisy.
Capitol Ag
AG
Fitch said:

Complaining about the state of the world and refusing to be a part of the solution when it's within your control to do is just the most classic kind of hypocrisy.
I think all adults should get vaccinated. But, they do not all need to be vaccinated. It should be the person's choice and there is no need to act like they have to get the vaccine for society to get back to complete normal. We just need enough to get vaccinated. Again, if hospitals are not at threat to be overwhelmed, there is no risk to the public worth being concerned about. At that point, its about you and your circle. Get yourself vaccinated and you'll be safe. That would be the only "societal responsibility" we would have. IF you have your own priority list to also protect certain individuals in your circle, go for it! That is fantastic. But hospitals are where I draw the line in terms of responsibility. And it appears now we are probably past te point where that is an issue.

Now, if you do not get vaccinated, you run the risk personally of catching Covid and all the issues that could have. It is the person's choice to get vaccinated. That part I vehemently believe in...
Capitol Ag
AG
yukmonkey said:

I 100% agree. It is the same with masking and pretty much any other mitigation. The issue with making this about another's social responsibility is that it was never about that. It was only about hospital and healthcare infrastructure protection. Not about shaming others or having some feeling of entitlement that other have to "protect you". Get the vaccine and you do not need to be protected. Don't, and it's 100% on you. There never should be a mandate to get vaccinated from the government or from private companies. To me, that is way too far.
beerad12man
AG
Fitch said:

But what happens when you can only vaccinate 0.6% of the worldwide population a week right now at our current pace, which is 31% a year, and there are many others at higher risk than you?

I'm vaccinated, but I know some that are like this. I actually almost canceled because in part I didn't feel right about getting it when so many older than me haven't.

There's more than one side of the argument. Same concept with now that we are getting to the 12-15 year old's. I'm morally against it. not because I think it's dangerous for them. in all likelihood, it isn't. But because they don't need it anywhere near as much as others, and we can't get enough of the vaccine out worldwide right now.
Phat32
AG
Fitch said:

Bull***** The world doesn't even need to be vaccinated at all for it to return to normal. We are soft, weak society who cannot evaluate aggregate risk. The risk of this virus to 99% of the population is nil.

For sure, let's work on protecting those that are at risk. But we took the exact opposite response in March of last year that *no one* should ever die from this virus. That is not realistic and has been devastating. You see it right now with trying to vaccinate 12-15 year olds. I'm not sure if you know any 12-15 year olds, but there is almost nothing that can kill them. They can eat Starbursts all day and lick each other with zero risk of dying from an infectious agent.

The way that the large majority of the population has both:
- Fallen in line with authoritarian restrictions that have very little basis in science with no end in sight
- Toed the party line, no matter what horse **** comes out of the party
...is really disturbing.

The horse**** line of "get vaccinated so we can move on" or "get vaccinated to protect others" has no basis in reality or science.

Those who really *needed* to be vaccinated have gotten it. Those who have been terrified by the media have gotten it. Now we are down to squeezing the last drops out of this lemon, and the authoritarians among us cannot stand that, God forbid, anyone make a decision for themselves and their family.

Push the vaccines we are earmarking for 0-risk 12-15 year olds (barf) to the other countries that have not been able to get them into their vulnerable 80+ year old populations. That I can get behind 100%.
Capitol Ag
AG
yukmonkey said:

Fitch said:

Bull***** The world doesn't even need to be vaccinated at all for it to return to normal. We are soft, weak society who cannot evaluate aggregate risk. The risk of this virus to 99% of the population is nil.

For sure, let's work on protecting those that are at risk. But we took the exact opposite response in March of last year that *no one* should ever die from this virus. That is not realistic and has been devastating. You see it right now with trying to vaccinate 12-15 year olds. I'm not sure if you know any 12-15 year olds, but there is almost nothing that can kill them. They can eat Starbursts all day and lick each other with zero risk of dying from an infectious agent.

The way that the large majority of the population has both:
- Fallen in line with authoritarian restrictions that have very little basis in science with no end in sight
- Toed the party line, no matter what horse **** comes out of the party
...is really disturbing.

The horse**** line of "get vaccinated so we can move on" or "get vaccinated to protect others" has no basis in reality or science.

Those who really *needed* to be vaccinated have gotten it. Those who have been terrified by the media have gotten it. Now we are down to squeezing the last drops out of this lemon, and the authoritarians among us cannot stand that, God forbid, anyone make a decision for themselves and their family.

Push the vaccines we are earmarking for 0-risk 12-15 year olds (barf) to the other countries that have not been able to get them into their vulnerable 80+ year old populations. That I can get behind 100%.
Probably overstating a bit in here. I had covid. It really was nothing to me. I got the vaccine and I am not scared at all, as covid was at most an annoyance for a short 2-3 days tops. But I am immunosurprssed and "at risk" technically so I got the vaccine. Very low risk and not worried about effects down the road. I do think most should get vaccinated but should not have to be. I agree that the hospitals should be the only concern in terms of shutdowns, mask mandates etc. Kids do not need the vaccine as they present very little serious symptoms for the most part and flu kills a lot more than covid and we don't mitigate for the flu (and we should not). Kids do NOT need to mask and shouldn't either. Just like the vaccinated do not need to mask. Again, people need to let others do their own thing and not judge or name call. If you do not want the vaccination, don't get it. You'll most likely be fine.
Phat32
AG
Quote:

Again, people need to let others do their own thing and not judge or name call. If you do not want the vaccination, don't get it. You'll most likely be fine.
Agree, but it becomes a problem when it is framed as "you must get vaccinated in order to do X", especially where X is likely something that was occurring just fine before the vaccination was available.
Capitol Ag
AG
yukmonkey said:

Quote:

Again, people need to let others do their own thing and not judge or name call. If you do not want the vaccination, don't get it. You'll most likely be fine.
Agree, but it becomes a problem when it is framed as "you must get vaccinated in order to do X", especially where X is likely something that was occurring just fine before the vaccination was available.
Agree. The faster we move away from the "to protect others" angle, the better, whether its the vaccine or the masks or 6 feet (an arbitrary number anyway) or whatever. Mandates are, to me, not constitutional. This isn't even an FDA approved vaccine.

This weekend I went everywhere and decided it was time to go post covid. Sure, others have been doing this for a while, even all through Covid which I never had any problem with. But I won't even bring a mask to anywhere but work. If a place wants me to mask, I'll gladly allow them to provide it and wear it as it is their rules. But that is on them at this point as I am vaccinated and seriously no longer a threat to anyone else. Any slight risk I could pose, to me, needs to be totally acceptable by society. Just doing my part to try to move us back to normal.
ORAggieFan
Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

Agree. The faster we move away from the "to protect others" angle, the better, whether its the vaccine or the masks or 6 feet (an arbitrary number anyway) or whatever. Mandates are, to me, not constitutional. This isn't even an FDA approved vaccine.

This weekend I went everywhere and decided it was time to go post covid. Sure, others have been doing this for a while, even all through Covid which I never had any problem with. But I won't even bring a mask to anywhere but work. If a place wants me to mask, I'll gladly allow them to provide it and wear it as it is their rules. But that is on them at this point as I am vaccinated and seriously no longer a threat to anyone else. Any slight risk I could pose, to me, needs to be totally acceptable by society. Just doing my part to try to move us back to normal.
Misinformation like this doesn't help.
agsalaska
AG
beerad12man said:

Fitch said:

But what happens when you can only vaccinate 0.6% of the worldwide population a week right now at our current pace, which is 31% a year, and there are many others at higher risk than you?

I'm vaccinated, but I know some that are like this. I actually almost canceled because in part I didn't feel right about getting it when so many older than me haven't.

There's more than one side of the argument. Same concept with now that we are getting to the 12-15 year old's. I'm morally against it. not because I think it's dangerous for them. in all likelihood, it isn't. But because they don't need it anywhere near as much as others, and we can't get enough of the vaccine out worldwide right now.
In Texas right now you can walk in to any Wal Mart and get a vaccine in 10 minutes. On demand.

With very few exceptions that should not be noteworthy from a policy perspective, everyone high risk has either been vaccinated or chosen not to be.

That in my mind is the end of any argument for any restricitons, masks, policies, or anything else.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Capitol Ag
AG
lexofer said:

Just because you are in a low risk category it doesn't mean no risk. Your odds are just better, but there is still a chance you will be hospitalized, permanently disabled or die. I know two women in their 30's, otherwise healthy people that as a result of COVID one now has a lifelong heart condition that requires daily medication and another that has developed permanent respiratory issues. Also as I said before you're still putting others that have been vaccinated by being more likely to be a carrier and increasing chances of mutation of the disease.
It's not that extreme and the examples are the definition of anecdotal. You are correct that anyone hs a very slight risk if otherwise completely healthy, but the odds are still VERY much in their favor that they will be fine.

As to the vaccinated being at risk. No mutation has been immune from the vaccine as of yet and we have to realize that Covid will be with us going forward and small numbers will get it, be hospitalized and some will even die. But those numbers will not be large enough to overwhelm the healthcare infrastructure. It's something that we need to be able to live with going forward like every other virus, just like flu. The mutations serious enough to cause issues will take years to develop most likely.
Capitol Ag
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

Quote:

Common question
Are all vaccines FDA approved?

Currently, no coronavirus vaccine is fully approved by the FDA, but three were given emergency use authorization by the agency.Apr 14, 2021
Post removed:
by user
FratboyLegend
ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

Capitol Ag is correct. None of the vaccines are FDA approved as of my last check on Friday.
#CertifiedSIP
fig96
AG
Quote:

Kids do not need the vaccine as they present very little serious symptoms for the most part and flu kills a lot more than covid and we don't mitigate for the flu (and we should not).

We've had a flu vaccine for years and roughly a third to half the population get it annually.
ORAggieFan
FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

Capitol Ag is correct. None of the vaccines are FDA approved as of my last check on Friday.
It's a stupid technicality. Until a few days ago none had even asked for approval. The FDA recommends everyone get the vaccine. That's far more important than trying to argue it's not "approved". We all know it will be and at the end of the day I can't imagine someone like Capitol Ag caring what a government agency says.
FratboyLegend
ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

It's a stupid technicality. Until a few days ago none had even asked for approval. The FDA recommends everyone get the vaccine. That's far more important than trying to argue it's not "approved". We all know it will be and at the end of the day I can't imagine someone like Capitol Ag caring what a government agency says.
It is NOT a stupid technicality. EUA is a 'more likely than not' test, to say it plainly. Full FDA approval requires a much more certain proof.
#CertifiedSIP
ORAggieFan
FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

It is NOT a stupid technicality. EUA is a 'more likely than not' test, to say it plainly. Full FDA approval requires a much more certain proof.
It is a technicality. We all know they all will be approved and no one worried about getting it now will change their opinion when the wording changes from authorized to approved. If you care that much about the FDA you'd be following their advise now. Instead you throw something out as a scare tactic while ignoring everything else the FDA says.
agsalaska
AG
ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

It is a technicality. We all know they all will be approved and no one worried about getting it now will change their opinion when the wording changes from authorized to approved. If you care that much about the FDA you'd be following their advise now. Instead you throw something out as a scare tactic while ignoring everything else the FDA says.
Exactly,

I see many fair arguments against getting the vaccine. But the FDA approval is not one of them. Its disingenuous.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
JP_Losman
AG
Side note- how do they test efficacy on these vaccines?

Do they give the sample group the shots and then set them loose inside the Covid ward at the hospital?
Or have them go have beer at a crowded pub in a covid stricken area?

What is the majority of the participants social distance and stay home.
FratboyLegend
ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

I have not seen where the FDA has recommended anything w/r/t vaccination. If you know of it, please share a link.
#CertifiedSIP
ORAggieFan
FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

I have not seen where the FDA has recommended anything w/r/t vaccination. If you know of it, please share a link.
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/learn-more-about-covid-19-vaccines-fda
FratboyLegend
ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/learn-more-about-covid-19-vaccines-fda
I have read that page many times before. The FDA does not advise anything on that page.
#CertifiedSIP
ORAggieFan
FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

I have read that page many times before. The FDA does not advise anything on that page.
This sure seems like a recommendation to me (along with the answers to a number of other questions)

Quote:

Why should I get a COVID-19 vaccine?

When you get a COVID-19 vaccine, you are choosing to protect yourself and make a difference for your children, parents, grandparents, and other loved ones. Millions of people in the U.S. have already received a COVID-19 vaccine. For a community to be fully protected, most community members need to get the vaccine. Getting vaccinated to prevent COVID-19 will help protect you from COVID-19, and it may also protect the people around you.
FratboyLegend
ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

FratboyLegend said:

ORAggieFan said:

Capitol Ag said:

yukmonkey said:

Quote:

This sure seems like a recommendation to me (along with the answers to a number of other questions)

Quote:

Why should I get a COVID-19 vaccine?

When you get a COVID-19 vaccine, you are choosing to protect yourself and make a difference for your children, parents, grandparents, and other loved ones. Millions of people in the U.S. have already received a COVID-19 vaccine. For a community to be fully protected, most community members need to get the vaccine. Getting vaccinated to prevent COVID-19 will help protect you from COVID-19, and it may also protect the people around you.

That is informational, just like the rest of the FAQ. Read into it what you wish, but the FDA is not recommending the vaccines. Just like the FDA has not approved the vaccines, they have authorized them for emergency use.

You call these 'technicalities', but the words are right there on the page for anyone to read. They are not 'misinformation' or whatever words you used in your post above.
#CertifiedSIP
Fitch
AG
beerad12man said:

Fitch said:

To be honest I could care less about the rest of the world. I travel globally and respect the environment and laws of the land I go into. This is an American issue that is able to be solved by the American people and we have people being dumbasses and fiddle ****ing around holding things up.

We have millions ready to get back to pre-Covid life and the loudest shouters during all the crap last year are now the firmest jackasses sitting on their hands refusing to do anything.
Phat32
AG
But our argument is that we don't have to do anything. We've been ready since April of last year, when we all accepted the risk and moved on.

We are on the same side here.
waitwhat?
Fitch said:

beerad12man said:

Fitch said:

To be honest I could care less about the rest of the world. I travel globally and respect the environment and laws of the land I go into. This is an American issue that is able to be solved by the American people and we have people being dumbasses and fiddle ****ing around holding things up.

We have millions ready to get back to pre-Covid life and the loudest shouters during all the crap last year are now the firmest jackasses sitting on their hands refusing to do anything.

Because the burden isn't and shouldn't be on us to do anything. You're effectively justifying our government overlords holding normalcy hostage from everyone to coerce a few of us to do something we don't want to and that there is no justification for.

Those of us that don't currently want the vaccine aren't the ones holding normalcy hostage. You need to look in the mirror to find an example of the ones doing it.

TEXIT
Fitch
AG
Bull***** Respect your fellow Americans who don't share your life position or health status and shut out the elected talking heads.

Non-action or resistance is a political act on itself and it is what empowers those people who would try to control public life. Get a shot, rip out the stool the politicians and news liars stand on and shut down any excuse left to not have a normal life back.

Complaining about a situation without taking actions to improve it is meaningless.
GAC06
AG
" Non-action or resistance is a political act on itself"

No it's not. I'm doing my part by living normally. The people pushing restrictions will just keep moving the goalposts until people ignore them. Just ignore them now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.