Vaccine Reluctance

84,888 Views | 741 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
beerad12man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Y'all are still trying to make the argument for us to "get back to normal" we MUST have the vaccine, meanwhile we're already back to normal...

I hope y'all get back out at some point but take your time if you must.

There's nothing normal about seeing stupid ass plexiglass and social distancing stickers everywhere you go, or waitresses and grocery store workers all in masks. Maybe if you live in a small city it's already normal, but we don't all have that luxury right now. It's certainly not the case in North Austin, Cedar Park, and even Leander where I am at mostly.

There's nothing normal about wearing a mask for 8 straight hours when I fly on July 2nd. They extended that to 9/13 and I'm hoping they remove it, but I can't imagine we'd get that lucky.

There's nothing normal about an employer still requiring masks post vaccination here. Probably jades me the most.
ORAggieFan
FrioAg 00 said:

I'm not buying the soccer thing. I've got three kids that play high level soccer and we've played games in several states this year (including super liberal Maryland). No one has required masks outdoors since last Fall - there is never more than one or two idiots wearing a mask on the sidelines.
Sounded like it was one person on a power trip and I agree it's not likely the norm. Hell, it's not even the norm for most sports in CA. I will say coaches being force to wear masks is the worst thing for me. Five hours with a mask outdoors on Saturdays sucks.

Also, my very limited experience, rec leagues are more serious about enforcement than travel ball.
FrioAg 00
AG
No doubt - travel ball would place the importance of sport over a damn cholera outbreak or the Black Plague.

I always thought the best battles in this thing were going to be "Karen" vs "Easton's Dad"
ttha_aggie_09
AG
beerad12man said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

Y'all are still trying to make the argument for us to "get back to normal" we MUST have the vaccine, meanwhile we're already back to normal...

There's nothing normal about seeing stupid ass plexiglass and social distancing stickers everywhere you go, or waitresses and grocery store workers all in masks. Maybe if you live in a small city it's already normal, but we don't all have that luxury right now. It's certainly not the case in North Austin, Cedar Park, and even Leander where I am at mostly.

There's nothing normal about wearing a mask for 8 straight hours when I fly on July 2nd. They extended that to 9/13 and I'm hoping they remove it, but I can't imagine we'd get that lucky.

There's nothing normal about an employer still requiring masks post vaccination here. Probably jades me the most.
  • Houston area, so not a small city
  • I'm not a worker in a grocery store and don't have to wear a mask
  • I'm not a waiter and don't have to wear a mask - but I have been to a few restaurants lately that do not require their workers to wear masks
  • There is nothing normal about plexiglass being everywhere but if that is how a company chooses to mitigate their risk (more like perceived risk), so be it. At least they're open and conducting business as usual
  • I already addressed the airline issue and concede that it will probably be the last thing to be "normal"

To get back to the original point of this thread, people are reluctant to get the vaccine because of the insanity posted on this thread and what we're seeing out in the real world.

If you received the vaccine already - great! Carry on with your life and stop worrying about the things you cannot control. If you have recovered from it - great! You're likely immune and can carry on with your life but if you want to get the vaccine - great!

If you have mitigated your risk by the things above and refuse to do things "normally", the problem is intrinsic and I hope it is only temporary...
beerad12man
AG
I don't see many, if any on here who aren't doing what they want individually. We are at a societal point now, though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
beerad12man said:

I don't see many, if any on here who aren't doing what they want individually. We are at a societal point now, though.
We're essentially a dichotomous society right now:

• Those that are waiting on everyone else to make the same decisions and implement the same safeguards they have chosen before returning to normal
  • Those that have made their own decisions and are returning to normal

When I check in on this thread/board for information, it's hard to go one or two posts without someone telling you why you should be doing something... maybe you don't see that because you're on this board all the time?
Rex Racer
AG
ORAggieFan said:

ttha_aggie_09 said:

I don't think we need the vaccine to get back to normal, but we are far off from being normal. That's not my choice at all.
Speak for yourself. My wife and I haven't worn a mask anywhere since Abbott repealed the mandate, except medical offices because they'll straight up kick you out.

Otherwise, we are pretty much back to normal.
FratboyLegend
beerad12man said:

You have to get over that. Who cares what other people do. It has no affect on you.
#CertifiedSIP
BamaAggies
bigtruckguy3500 said:

You know what's cool about vaccinating for chickenpox with the attenuated form of the virus? You're virtually guaranteed not to get shingles as an adult.

Another cool thing about vaccinating kids for something like HepA - a typically mild or asymptomatic illness in kids - is that it decreases the chance of kids (a very common vector) spreading it to adults who tend to have more severe illness from it.

AgAlaska - I don't think there was this much resistance to measles vaccine (though I was not alive at the time). I wonder if it has to do with the internet and the increased Dunning-Kruger effect. I wonder what would have happened if we derided the PhDs who developed the small pox or polio vaccines, instead of eradicating one and virtually eradicating the other.

ETA: Forgot about HPV. While we're arguing about it promoting promiscuity in this country, Australia has virtually eliminated cervical cancer strains of HPV and substantially reduced genital warts in their country.

It is interesting that you picked 3 vaccines that inject DNA fragments from an aborted fetus into our children's bloodstream. What could go wrong? Maybe the professionals on this board who do gene research might be able to tell us what could happen if those fragments are taken up by specific cells? Anything? This is a study I came across a few days ago that refers to the three.

https://soundchoice.org/impact-environmental-factors-prevalence-autistic-disorder-after-1979/

Why would anyone deride the developer of the polio vaccine, Jonas Salk? Wasn't he an avowed eugenicist? Who doesn't want a eugenicist making vaccines for their children? Especially when that vaccine was rushed. Sort of reminds me of Bill Gates. The guy that wants to save us from the pandemic (and all the poor children in the world) with vaccines, but also admitted in a 1997 George article that he funds "population control."

https://archive.org/details/george-magazine-february-1997-survival-guide-to-the-future-bill-gates-interview/page/n5/mode/2up

"In some cases vaccines have been known to cause the very disease they were created to prevent. [like OPV] But the risk can be greater still. In the earliest days of the polio vaccine, laboratory tests were not sophisticated enough to detect the presence of what became known as Simian Virus 40 (SV40). At least 26 other Simian contaminants were detected and eliminated. But SV40 slipped past quality control testing procedures and into the vaccine pool, potentially infecting millions of Americans.

Soon after its discovery, scientists also learned that SV40 could cause cancerous tumors in hamsters. So in society's zeal to combat one disease we as a society potentially risked exposing millions of Americans to another deadly disease.

As the subcommittee learned at our last SV40 polio hearing on September 10th, we are still trying to uncover the true health impact of the SV40 contaminated polio vaccines. For four decades Federal Government officials have insisted that there is no evidence that SV40 is harmful to humans or that polio vaccines produced after 1963 were contaminated with SV40. But in recent years dozens of scientific studies have found the virus in a steadily increasing number of rare brain, bone, and lung related tumors, the very same malignant cancers that SV40 caused in lab animals."

https://archive.org/details/gov.gpo.fdsys.CHRG-108hhrg92772/page/n5/mode/2up

How many children were paralyzed or died from the Cutter incident?

"Fifty-one were paralyzed, and five died"

"It was 'one of the worst biological disasters in American history: a man-made polio epidemic,' [Dr.] Offit wrote."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/04/14/cutter-polio-vaccine-paralyzed-children-coronavirus/

The smallpox vaccine also seems very relevant to the rushed vaccines we have today. How long does it take to discover the adverse reactions caused by some vaccines? As told by Hawaii State Representative Dale Kobayashi, in 1971, 7 years after receiving the smallpox vaccine, approximately 500 children developed encephalitis. They all died, except him. 7 years for the adverse reaction to occur. Maybe that is why it takes so long to develop a safe vaccine?

Gardasil 9 wasn't tested against a true placebo, which is quite the norm for vaccines. We assume saline, but that is rarely the case or that control group is very small. However, Merck went all in and tested it against AAHS, which is a great way to decrease any concerns if people are also getting autoimmune disease in the placebo group.

From the British Medical Journal: "The Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp aluminium [British spelling for aluminum] adjuvant 'amorphous aluminium hydroxyphosphate sulfate' (AAHS), primarily used in the Gardasil vaccines against human papilloma virus, has been criticised for lack of evidence for its safety...The EMA reports that AAHS was introduced without any prelicensure safety evaluation. The adjuvant is described by the company to be both physically and functionally distinct from all other previously used aluminium adjuvants. There is a need for rigorous evaluation of benefits and harms of the adjuvant AAHS."

"A recent PhD thesis from the Nordic Cochrane Centre concluded that it is unclear to what extent the benefits of the Gardasil vaccine outweigh its harms, as almost all of the Gardasil studies used AAHS as comparator. In the light of our observations, the benefitharm balance of the vaccine may need a re-evaluation."

https://ebm.bmj.com/content/early/2020/11/08/bmjebm-2020-111419

What are some of the other vaccines with AAHS? Hib (PedvaxHIB), Hep A (Vaqta), and Hep B (Recombivax). Each of these vaccines are given to babies.

You: "Another cool thing about vaccinating kids for something like HepA - a typically mild or asymptomatic illness in kids - is that it decreases the chance of kids (a very common vector) spreading it to adults who tend to have more severe illness from it."

Very cool. Hep A is on the Vaccine Schedule at 12 months for the doctor on this thread that isn't aware. Let's vaccinate babies to protect adults because adults don't have the ability to protect themselves by getting their own vaccination. If a baby has an adverse reaction, it is so much easier to figure out what is wrong with them than an adult. I mean a little bronchial constriction, asthma, wheezing, or high fever, among other reactions, are all things that aren't cause for concern with babies. Protecting adults that choose to not protect themselves should always be the top priority. Right?

"Hepatitis A is a serious liver disease caused by the hepatitis A virus. Children with the virus often don't have symptoms, but they often pass the disease to others, including their unvaccinated parents or caregivers. These individuals can get very sick. Children under 6 years old often have no symptoms...

Older children, adolescents and adults often feel sick and symptoms can last for up to 6 months. There is no specific treatment for hepatitis AHepatitis A virus is found in the stool (poop) of a person who has the virus. It spreads when a person puts something in his or her mouth that has the hepatitis A virus on it."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/diseases/hepa.html

"VAQTA [Hep A vaccine] has not been evaluated for its carcinogenic or mutagenic potential, or its potential to impair fertility." That's a real confidence builder when we are giving this vaccine to babies. However, vaccines that are given to children are rarely, if ever, tested for these 3 things. Sounds pretty safe.

https://www.rxlist.com/vaqta-drug.htm#warnings

Dilettante
Your effort to understanding ratio is one of the highest I've ever seen. Your post is a wall of garbage.

End Of Message
AG
Are we still bribing people with alcohol to take a vaccine?
BamaAggies
The CDC + British Medical Journal + Congressional Hearing + vaccine insert = wall of garbage?

Spoken like an intellectual coward, lacking insight and argument.

Dilettante
Your interpretation and opinions were what I was referring to.
Smudge
AG
Give me just one good reason to get the vaccine. I've already had COVID, according to the cdc, the vaccine, literally, doesn't stop transmission or infection, and I still have to wear a mask and distance.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
ORAggieFan
The CDC has been pretty bad with their communications, but quit lying about what they are saying.

Quote:

Studies show that COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19. Getting a COVID-19 vaccine will also help keep you from getting seriously ill even if you do get COVID-19.
beerad12man
AG
FratboyLegend said:

beerad12man said:

You have to get over that. Who cares what other people do. It has no affect on you.
Get over what? What more can I do other than live exactly how I please, and have been doing since April of 2020? Do you even know what my post is referencing?

My fight is now getting rid of the masks as much as possible(and yes, the more that just put up with them, the more mandates such as my company, airlines, etc hang around), and in order to do that, society needs more and more confidence moving forward. We sure know the CDC or Fauci isn't giving them that confidence. So people like myself who take off the masks as much as possible are doing all we can. I can do whatever I want for myself, but also care about society, too.
beerad12man
AG
smudge14255 said:

Give me just one good reason to get the vaccine. I've already had COVID, according to the cdc, the vaccine, literally, doesn't stop transmission or infection, and I still have to wear a mask and distance.
Being that you are a person who has had covid, I'd just assume let someone else get it. While some Drs would still recommend a booster to potentially increase immunity even more, most likely you are good to go regardless. Likely doesn't make much of a difference either way.

But please stop saying it doesn't stop transmission. We all know communication is terrible, from the CDC, to Fauci, but you can clearly look at the data and see that it has a tremendous impact on stopping infection rates. The CDC als says don't eat medium rare steaks because they err on the side of zero risk. You have to take them with a grain of salt, even though many are following them to a T with zero ability to calculate reasonable risk with regards to covid.
JFrench
AG
How do we get to this confidence level? Seems an impasse.

Those who want the shot got it.

Those who dont won't. They've either had it or aren't scared to get it.

Buddy in Canada is about to be in the approved age bracket at mid 40s. Death on the streets of India. But we're offering freebies to con the weary and trying to get kids to take it.
FratboyLegend
JFrench said:

How do we get to this confidence level? Seems an impasse.

Those who want the shot got it.

Those who dont won't. They've either had it or aren't scared to get it.

Buddy in Canada is about to be in the approved age bracket at mid 40s. Death on the streets of India. But we're offering freebies to con the weary and trying to get kids to take it.
It's not an impasse, the vax companies are selling ice to eskimos at this point.

Bidless offer; nothing more, nothing less.

Covid is quite well past being over.
#CertifiedSIP
TRADUCTOR
So far the main side effect of the vaccine is to get abnormally mad at those who have not had the vaccine. Vaccine making people illogical. Like a Monty Python skit we have going on in this thread.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Common side effects of the vaccine:

Illusory superiority
Uncontrollable urge to belittle anyone that hasn't received it
Failure to suppress you irrational fear of a normal society
Inability to remove your mask

Although I am mostly joking, I am genuinely concerned with some of the people I have encountered lately. I don't think there is a threshold, outside of complete and total eradication of Covid, that they will ever choose to live "normally". It's concerning...

Get the vaccine if you want and then return back to your pre-Covid life
Don't get the vaccine if you want and then return back to your pre-Covid life.

Just don't listen to the morons in the government telling you need to mask up in a room full of vaccinated people and avoid large gatherings.
NASAg03
This might help explain the reluctance, or at least the political divide surrounding covid, policy, and the vaccine:

If unvaccinated people are already enjoying life more than vaccinated people, and the government has given little indication that getting the vaccine will result in huge life improvements, then why get it?
ORAggieFan
There have been many reasons given. For me it was about not getting sick. I realize I may have caught it and had minimal symptoms. But, I also know many in my age range knocked out hard for 10+ days. I didn't want that. Same reason I get flu vaccine now, didn't until I was nearing 40.

That definitely shows the atrocious public health message though. To scare vaccinated people into not living normal just makes zero sense. Combine that with the atrocious handling of J&J.
JFrench
AG
Impasse from the society standpoint beerad was speaking of.

The bottom part was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the pro covid crowd.

I agree with both of your posts and sentiments
Capitol Ag
AG
NASAg03 said:

This might help explain the reluctance, or at least the political divide surrounding covid, policy, and the vaccine:

If unvaccinated people are already enjoying life more than vaccinated people, and the government has given little indication that getting the vaccine will result in huge life improvements, then why get it?
I know a few vaccinated who still live like it's March 2020. It's strange given the level of info readily available to us showing the vaccinated are beyond safe to throw away the masks, go to events that are packed with people and can fully go back tom normal.

There needs to be an overwhelming level of encouragement to all vaccinated people to live life pre 2019. It's part of the reason why I've just stopped bringing masks anywhere outside of work. Someone needs to try to set an example that people won't blow up, catch on fire or disintegrate if they are vaccinated and do not wear a mask in public AND all around them are just as safe as well. If you are vaccinated, this is over. That needs to be the message going forward, imho.
ORAggieFan
I was talking to a former co-worker who said he may never eat inside a restaurant again. It was pretty mind boggling. I asked what it meant for future work meetings, etc and he didn't really have an answer.

That said, most I know, even those that were more extreme with Covid lockdowns, are much more open now with the vaccine. About half my friends didn't care and still gathered and about half were pretty locked down. Some was due to their work restrictions (potential loss of job if caught) and others were due to health of family members.
Phat32
AG
ORAggieFan said:

I was talking to a former co-worker who said he may never eat inside a restaurant again. It was pretty mind boggling. I asked what it meant for future work meetings, etc and he didn't really have an answer.
This type of person is probably for vaccine passports when in reality, it should be the reverse. He is not accepting risk while the unvaccinated are.
fig96
AG
Some people have certainly overreacted, but there's also this weird dichotomy where people said they wanted others who were higher risk to quarantine or take appropriate measures and let them do their own thing, then they proceed to ridicule those who take precautions for various reasons.

Personally, I have a wife who's 9 months pregnant and we're due any day now. We're both healthy and in good shape but her pregnancy is a bit higher risk, not to mention that the effects of Covid on pregnant women isn't known and there's been concern over various issues. So we've erred on the side of caution (largely to make her comfortable) and haven't been out much, and we've been recently vaccinated, We'd probably be fine now, but after years of trying to have a baby you better believe we're playing it overly safe.

I talked about this on another thread and was told I needed to "refrain from hysterics" and was making up "fake news" among other things.
Teslag
AG
Your pregnant wife has no risk from COVID if vaccinated.
fig96
AG
Which is why we got vaccinated
ORAggieFan
I think that's pretty reasonable. I was more cautious as we approached the holidays knowing in laws would be over. Also, we were heading to Cabo in Feb for my wife's bday and there was no way in hell I was going to risk catching it before and cancelling that trip, so I avoided a few gatherings I'd have otherwise gone to.

I just can't imagine having the vaccine and living life differently (all else the same) than before this happened. I know people hoping handshakes never come back as well.
beerad12man
AG
Yeah, at this point many think they are just being respectful, or think they are following the science / taking more precautions(mostly due to CDC's overly ridiculous guidelines, not the actual science). In reality, while I never believed in the efficacy of masks, I now 100% believe masks, social distancing, plexiglass, or any other metric reminding us of covid are now officially hurting more than it's helping. A strong trend back to normality is what we need now more than anything. All cause excess deaths are now trending back to basically normal(less than what we were use to in the 90s and early 2000s, but I digress), and all cause respiratory deaths are now no worse(and maybe even less) than in the middle of the the heart of many flu seasons.
94chem
fig96 said:

We'd probably be fine now, but after years of trying to have a baby you better believe we're playing it overly safe.

Used to love suiting up for practice.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
agsalaska
AG
fig96 said:

Some people have certainly overreacted, but there's also this weird dichotomy where people said they wanted others who were higher risk to quarantine or take appropriate measures and let them do their own thing, then they proceed to ridicule those who take precautions for various reasons.

Personally, I have a wife who's 9 months pregnant and we're due any day now. We're both healthy and in good shape but her pregnancy is a bit higher risk, not to mention that the effects of Covid on pregnant women isn't known and there's been concern over various issues. So we've erred on the side of caution (largely to make her comfortable) and haven't been out much, and we've been recently vaccinated, We'd probably be fine now, but after years of trying to have a baby you better believe we're playing it overly safe.

I talked about this on another thread and was told I needed to "refrain from hysterics" and was making up "fake news" among other things.

I believe I remember that thread. And in all fairness you said, if it's the one I am thinking of, that being pregnant was high risk. Not that she had a high risk pregnancy.

There is zero data to support the claim you made and were called out on it, albeit harshly.

Hope all goes well with the birth. First baby?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
fig96
AG
There have been concerns with pregnant women and we don't have a lot of data at this point, so I'd say both accurate

And yes, our first. Counting down the days but things are looking good, thanks!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.