Ford losing $132000 per EV Sold

8,476 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by techno-ag
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
  • Ford is losing money because they are doing it wrong
  • Chrysler is losing money because they are doing it wrong
  • GM is losing money on them ibid.
  • No legacy auto is making money on them at all to my knowledge.
  • Lucid/new entrants almost universally facing prospect of bankruptcy in 6-48 months.
  • Tesla is laying off 10 percent globally, focusing intently on AI market

"People arguing 'against' these vehicles are being emotional."

EV drivers don't have any kind of chip on their shoulders.
techno-ag
AG
nortex97 said:

• Ford is losing money because they are doing it wrong
  • Chrysler is losing money because they are doing it wrong
  • GM is losing money on them ibid.
  • No legacy auto is making money on them at all to my knowledge.
  • Lucid/new entrants almost universally facing prospect of bankruptcy in 6-48 months.
  • Tesla is laying off 10 percent globally, focusing intently on AI market

"People arguing 'against' these vehicles are being emotional."

EV drivers don't have any kind of chip on their shoulders.

So people are mocking Tesla drivers now? That's kinda funny. Sad, but funny.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
bobbranco
AG
VitruvianAg
AG
Canoo is trying that same model...they are discovering that, as Elon has stated...."production is hard".
YouBet
AG
VitruvianAg said:

Canoo is trying that same model...they are discovering that, as Elon has stated...."production is hard".

Yeah, I'm sure. Stellantis CEO says that his EV models are all profitable right now as opposed to every other manufacturer. So he has either found the first silver bullet in this sector or he's full of *****
Medaggie
Just stating some facts

Cox Automotive forecasts EV sales in the U.S. to increase year over year in 2024, making this year the best year ever for EV sales. Analysts expect EV sales to reach roughly 10% of the market by the end of the year, up from 7.3% in the first quarter.

The latest Outlook, published today, finds that global electric car sales are set to remain robust in 2024, reaching around 17 million by the end of the year.

More than 1 in 5 cars sold globally this year is expected to be electric, with surging demand projected over the next decade, says a new International Energy Agency (IEA) report.
Rising EV sales are set to remake the global auto industry and significantly reduce oil consumption for road transport, according to the new edition of the IEA's annual Global EV Outlook, released today.
The latest IEA Outlook report asserts that global EV sales are set to remain "robust" in 2024, reaching around 17 million by the end of the year. In Q1, sales grew by about 25% year-over-year similar to the growth rate seen in the same period a year earlier but from a larger base. The number of EVs sold globally in Q1 2024 is roughly equivalent to that in all of 2020.

The narrative that EV sales going in 2024 is just wrong. Just because legacy can't compete and throwing in the towel doesn't mean EVs are losing favor.
Muy
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

How long until Joe hands out money to save the program?

"Too big to fail"
Logos Stick
Quote:

with surging demand projected over the next decade

Of course. Outlaw ICE engines and EV demand soars. I mean, if I have to drive a car and that's my only option then yeah, EV demand goes up.

This is going to be a massive fail.
bobbranco
AG
Your enthusiasm may be premature. Hertz situation is definitely a slap in the face.

From 3 1/2 months ago. I believe Hertz may decide to liquidate the entire EV fleet because EVs suck.

Quote:

Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said in a note Hertz's move was another sign that EV expectations need to be "reset downward".

While consumers enjoy the driving experience and fuel savings (per mile) of an EV, Jonas said there are other "hidden costs to EV ownership".

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/hertz-sell-about-20000-evs-us-fleet-2024-01-11/
YouBet
AG
Medaggie said:

Just stating some facts

Cox Automotive forecasts EV sales in the U.S. to increase year over year in 2024, making this year the best year ever for EV sales. Analysts expect EV sales to reach roughly 10% of the market by the end of the year, up from 7.3% in the first quarter.

The latest Outlook, published today, finds that global electric car sales are set to remain robust in 2024, reaching around 17 million by the end of the year.

More than 1 in 5 cars sold globally this year is expected to be electric, with surging demand projected over the next decade, says a new International Energy Agency (IEA) report.
Rising EV sales are set to remake the global auto industry and significantly reduce oil consumption for road transport, according to the new edition of the IEA's annual Global EV Outlook, released today.
The latest IEA Outlook report asserts that global EV sales are set to remain "robust" in 2024, reaching around 17 million by the end of the year. In Q1, sales grew by about 25% year-over-year similar to the growth rate seen in the same period a year earlier but from a larger base. The number of EVs sold globally in Q1 2024 is roughly equivalent to that in all of 2020.

The narrative that EV sales going in 2024 is just wrong. Just because legacy can't compete and throwing in the towel doesn't mean EVs are losing favor.

Sure because governments are mandating it. You are ignoring half the equation.
richardag
HollywoodBQ said:

Bulldog73 said:

Going to the Two Teas Model of economics, they should just add $132,000 to the price tag of each EV and they'll be fine, right?
Imagine how much additional dealer mark-up they'll put on top of that.

You'll be out the door at $200k for an 8,000 lb pickup with a 200 mile range.
And a 30 year mortgage loan.
Medaggie
Government definitely has alot to do with EV conversion but it doesn't change the fact that it is happening. China is the biggest market where most ICE makers made their money. When China converts, ICE will go bankrupt or be forced to go EV.

Regardless of how it happens, it will and I a better Tesla is best in breed. I do not agree with federal mandates or incentives. I wish they got rid of it, but mandates are going to happen.

Medaggie
Hertz tried to ride the EV craze which made its stock popped. They didn't realize that people do not want the added worry of finding a charger. I have an EV, have no issues with finding charging, have zero range anxiety but I would never rent another EV unless it is cheaper than ICE.

When I am on vacation, I want to drive, find a gas station, and drop it off. Now, when/if all Hotels have ample level 2 chargers then it is a different story. They are 5-10 years ahead but there will be a switch eventually.
Deus Vult
Funky Winkerbean said:

How long until Joe hands out money to save the program?
This. Ford isn't losing $132,000 per EV, the taxpayers are.
agent-maroon
AG
Medaggie said:

Government definitely has alot to do with EV conversion but it doesn't change the fact that it is happening. China is the biggest market where most ICE makers made their money. When China converts, ICE will go bankrupt or be forced to go EV.

Regardless of how it happens, it will and I a better Tesla is best in breed. I do not agree with federal mandates or incentives. I wish they got rid of it, but mandates are going to happen.

Nothing like comparisons with free-market China to make your case for EV conversion. It's not like the CCP would determine the cars that can be sold rather than let the market decide, right?

I wonder if it's because they're a petroleum poor and rare earth mineral rich nation that EV would make more sense than ICE?

I wonder if that's why China is throwing a new coal fired generation plant every week and we're exporting all of our coal to them instead of developing our own resources for our own needs?

So many questions with the China comparison...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

When I am on vacation living my everyday life, I want to drive, find a gas station, and drop it off park it wherever I'm at.
FIFY
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Medaggie
I am not arguing right or wrong. But when the biggest car market makes a change then the car makers either make the change or risk bankruptcy. Many European countries following suit.

If you sell blue widgets and your biggest buyer wants a red widget, are you going to make red widgets? Of course you are or risk profit/bankruptcy.

its basic economics
Medaggie
My daily life, who drives about 125 miles/day, is much easier with an EV. Shocking but true. Ask most EV drivers and they will tell you the same.
Teslag
AG
Medaggie said:

Hertz tried to ride the EV craze which made its stock popped. They didn't realize that people do not want the added worry of finding a charger. I have an EV, have no issues with finding charging, have zero range anxiety but I would never rent another EV unless it is cheaper than ICE.

When I am on vacation, I want to drive, find a gas station, and drop it off. Now, when/if all Hotels have ample level 2 chargers then it is a different story. They are 5-10 years ahead but there will be a switch eventually.

Same. Went to Germany a few months back and all the rental companies had tons of EV's. I paid more and had to wait for an ice rental. Just didn't want to bother with charging there.
Teslag
AG
Medaggie said:

My daily life, who drives about 125 miles/day, is much easier with an EV. Shocking but true. Ask most EV drivers and they will tell you the same.

Can agree
bobbranco
AG
The Tesla sales team once again is out in force today defending their choices. And as usual nobody is buying the hype. LOL.
Teslag
AG
bobbranco said:

The Tesla sales team once again is out in force today defending their choices. And as usual nobody is buying the hype. LOL.

And the usual people obsessed with someone else's purchasing decision are also out
bobbranco
AG
Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

And the usual people obsessed with someone else's purchasing decision are also out

The nonstop Tesla / EV defense is the obsession. Pointing out the obvious cringe infatuation with a car is not.
91AggieLawyer
AG
2023NCAggies said:

Secolobo said:

And some wonder why a normal truck is to high….
Pisses me off, I almost pulled the trigger on a 1500 trial boss and decided to pass on it. It was 37k at the time......

Less than 3 months later, the same truck was in the 45k range, and it has not gone down near that 37k since. What a mistake that was.

So I am driving the old dog until the wheels fall off or until prices become decent again

Be glad. Chevy quality is abysmal.
Teslag
AG
bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

The nonstop Tesla / EV defense is the obsession. Pointing out the obvious cringe infatuation with a car is not.

Actually it's not. The EV owners here routinely admit that the cars are not for everyone. They don't make sense for a lot of situations No EV owner here has ever supported a government mandate or tax credit. Many of us, myself included, also own ICE vehicles.

We are pragmatic and open minded when it comes to EV's.

The other side, your side, takes an absolutist position and can't even admit that they are perfect choices for some people.
deddog
AG
I don't get the Tesla hate.
I don't have one yet but they are fun to drive. The biggest problem that Hertz faced was that people aren't used to driving them and there were an unusually high number of front end collisions.
I know a lot of Tesla owners , and not a single one regrets buying one, most love it. And for most, they also have an ICE vehicle.
EV sales are down because the economy is ***** Ford EV sales are down because their EVs are ***** Also, the EV line for Ford is new, so their costs (losses) will lower as time goes by.
WolfCall
AG
Speaking of EVs: It looks like UPS and FedEx are having trouble transitioning......

https://www.aol.com/news/ups-fedex-transition-electric-vans-100756974.html
Quote:

UPS, FedEx transition to electric vans slowed by battery shortages, low supply
Reuters LISA BAERTLEIN, ABHIRUP ROY AND NICK CAREY
April 25, 2024 at 5:07 AM

techno-ag
AG
Man I knew Hertz couldn't do it but I thought for sure daily delivery drivers could make EVs work.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

UPS and FedEx obtained some relief from EV supply constraints when trend-setting California, the epicenter of electrification, put on hold a rule that would have required them to purchase electric delivery vehicles exclusively starting this year. An industry group whose members include UPS and FedEx has filed a lawsuit claiming that California first needed the approval of U.S. regulators.
Yeah, because they're so awesome it takes a legal mandate to get UPS/Fedex to buy them.
Ag with kids
AG
Medaggie said:

Just stating some facts

Well, considering the IEA is an organization dedicated solely to pushing the green agenda, I'd be surprised if they said anything different.

Quote:

The core activity of the IEA is providing policy advice to its member states and Associated countries to support their energy security and advance their transition to clean energy.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Energy_Agency#cite_note-:1-3][3][/url] Recently, it has focused in particular on supporting global efforts to accelerate clean energy transition, mitigate climate change, reach net zero emissions, and prevent global temperatures from rising above 1.5 C
Now, maybe they're right...but, they ARE VERY biased, so pardon if we take their view with a grain of salt.
Ag with kids
AG
Medaggie said:

Why? The China market doesn't drive the US vehicle market...
AggieVictor10
AG
At least the EVs Elon makes are doing ok
Ag with kids
AG
Medaggie said:

I am not arguing right or wrong. But when the biggest car market makes a change then the car makers either make the change or risk bankruptcy. Many European countries following suit.

If you sell blue widgets and your biggest buyer wants a red widget, are you going to make red widgets? Of course you are or risk profit/bankruptcy.

its basic economics
US car makers exported 155K vehicles to China...the China market doesn't really drive much in the US. They're the largest market because they sell a lot of Chinese cars to Chinese people.
Ag with kids
AG
Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

Teslag said:

bobbranco said:

Actually it's not. The EV owners here routinely admit that the cars are not for everyone. They don't make sense for a lot of situations No EV owner here has ever supported a government mandate or tax credit. Many of us, myself included, also own ICE vehicles.

We are pragmatic and open minded when it comes to EV's.

The other side, your side, takes an absolutist position and can't even admit that they are perfect choices for some people.
Ummm...the one you agreed with thinks they're good for 95% of the people...
RafterAg223
AG
Ag with kids said:

Medaggie said:

Just stating some facts

Well, considering the IEA is an organization dedicated solely to pushing the green agenda, I'd be surprised if they said anything different.

Quote:

The core activity of the IEA is providing policy advice to its member states and Associated countries to support their energy security and advance their transition to clean energy.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Energy_Agency#cite_note-:1-3][3][/url] Recently, it has focused in particular on supporting global efforts to accelerate clean energy transition, mitigate climate change, reach net zero emissions, and prevent global temperatures from rising above 1.5 C
Now, maybe they're right...but, they ARE VERY biased, so pardon if we take their view with a grain of salt.
Yeah, the IEA has done an absolute bang up job with their oil demand forecasts vs actual numbers the last couple years among other things. They clearly have an agenda. They are a joke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.